Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

Gridman is my aots tbh
Gridman is running for AOTY with me, even against Megalo Box and Hinamatsuri. I never got around to Yurucamp or the Antarctica one, though.

chumbler posted:

If people are not horribly killed in it then I may need to bump up Gridman in my backlog. I guess the whole kaijuu battles thing for the notion in my head that it has a lot of deaths.
I'm just gonna tell you "No, there are no meaningless or overtly onscreen deaths." Anything that happens has narrative weight and importance and is reflected on even half a dozen episodes later.

You have a Big O avatar, which I've cited in the thread as the most adjacent show I can think of to SSSS.Gridman.

:getin:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

chumbler posted:

Being woken up by an oni secretary who could destroy you...

I'm surprised at how much money slime seems to be printing from merch, but I guess they really invested in it.

the LN and manga were already really popular and the anime just boosted them even further. volume 1 of the LNs came back onto the charts last month and has over 100k in sales (other volumes are close to that). meanwhile, each manga volume has approaching half a million units in sales.

total manga volume sales in a year: 3.46 million

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Flower posted:

the LN and manga were already really popular and the anime just boosted them even further. volume 1 of the LNs came back onto the charts last month and has over 100k in sales (other volumes are close to that). meanwhile, each manga volume has approaching half a million units in sales.

total manga volume sales in a year: 3.46 million

It's very important to note that Slime is the only manga on that list that isn't a monthly and and thus released only 4 volumes for that Calendar year.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that might be important to note, if it were true. the manga runs in a monthly shounen magazine and 6 of its volumes have been released in the survey period for the above data.

also, several of those on the list are weekly running manga.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 7, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Flower posted:

that might be important to note, if it were true. the manga runs in a monthly shounen magazine and 6 of its volumes have been released in the survey period for the above data.

also, several of those on the list are weekly running manga.

poo poo. Typing on phone. Meant to say what you said. loving auto-correct. But yes, Slime is the only monthly on there. I had checked on it's release and I think it only released 4 volumes for that year period according to the info on Wikipedia for its releases.

Edit: Yeah the calendar year starts in Late November according to ANN so that would only be starting with volume 6 that released in December of last year to volume 9 that released on September. Volume 10 I think got released, but I don't know if it did so for the time table to be included in this year.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 7, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I thought you might've meant that, but Attack on Titan is monthly so I wasn't gonna assume it. I get what you want to say though, it's hitting way above its weight class.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Flower posted:

I thought you might've meant that, but Attack on Titan is monthly so I wasn't gonna assume it. I get what you want to say though, it's hitting way above its weight class.

AoT is a monthly? I checked it's link on ANN and I could have sworn it was weekly. Checked, nvm. It's monthly. It's spin-off is weekly and he HAD offered it for the weekly. Jump had turned it down which I find kind of funny. Whoops.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Perhaps we're traveling backwards in time

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1071192665008484352?s=19

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I hope that isn't the same ugly CG as the Appleseed stuff.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

netflix lmao

they're going to singlehandedly keep aramaki and kamiyama fed with lovely car commercial cg projects

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe this is karma for people not appreciating ARISE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
will kenji kamiyama manage to make a good anime again some day

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

dogsicle posted:

they're going to singlehandedly keep aramaki and kamiyama fed with lovely car commercial cg projects

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh yeah, ARISE was a thing that happened.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway the best and worst anime threads should go up on the 26th this year, once most stuff that will end within 2018 will be close to ending, if not over. dunno if anybody has really taken up a consistent mantle of doing the "best anime you watched from a different year" thread but it might be cool to keep that running.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stand Alone Complex avoiding the pitfalls of making a sequel to popular movie sure is getting made up by every GITS project since than being awful

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

anyway the best and worst anime threads should go up on the 26th this year, once most stuff that will end within 2018 will be close to ending, if not over. dunno if anybody has really taken up a consistent mantle of doing the "best anime you watched from a different year" thread but it might be cool to keep that running.

I feel like that could just be a thing people are able to talk about in the Best Of thread?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like that could just be a thing people are able to talk about in the Best Of thread?

It could get confusing keeping track if it in that thread though...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's definitely a place where that can happen, people will fill their posts with honorable mentions or even rate everything they watched (only the first 5 being counted). just in the past there have been standalone threads for that purpose so i figured why not

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

He has yet to make a bad Ghost in the Shell, so I remain optimistic.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

id be okay with making one if srice doesn’t because 90% of the anime I watched this year was old and I wanna talk about them a little more at least

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Erg posted:

id be okay with making one if srice doesn’t because 90% of the anime I watched this year was old and I wanna talk about them a little more at least

This

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ranzear posted:

the Antarctica one

You know a show is good when you aren't really sure if March Comes In Like A Lion was better or not.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Theres no need to pit two queens against each other

This semester ends for me next week so I'll get back to Antartica soon!!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Colonel posted:

I thought Napping Princess was good.

3DCG is always, always poo poo though, so I have no hopes for this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

maybe this is karma for people not appreciating ARISE

So, what's the karmic balance for ARISE being garbage?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Stand Alone Complex avoiding the pitfalls of making a sequel to popular movie sure is getting made up by every GITS project since than being awful

I think it helped by it being more a series of police procedural stories with an overarching plot similar to how the OG manga was structured rather than one big movie event of sorts. With GITS, EVERYONE seems to be trying to recapture the effects of the movie when poo poo like that is drat near impossible to do.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I don't have much hope for the SAC sequel since its been so long, but I really hope they realize that SAC was much better than the actual manga.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I can't tell if the bloom into you op has changed to become more menacing as the show progressed or if it's just easier to spot those themes as they've come into focus.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
It's almost time for the season to finish, which means I'll be able to watch every single good show from start to finish whenever I want... My favorite part of every season, and this one seems to have some heavy hitters.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There are 4 shows I'd recommend as must-sees (would be 5 but Run With The Wind is a 2-cour): Gridman, Bunny Girl, Zombieland Saga and Bloom Into You.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Yeah, all those shows are firmly on my radar but Bunny Girl in particular I actually watched two episodes of early on and had to make the conscious decision to back off it. I could tell I was gonna like it too much to want to wait week after week. Bloom Into You, from what I've read, also seems like a huge slam dunk. Just another week and a half or so...

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There's a lot of really fun trifling shows too like Miss Vampire Neighbor, Ulysses, Akenesasu Shoujo, Anima Yell!, Beezelbub, Himote House. This season has been great. Also whatever the name of that amazon high school magic show is called. That show is really quite great.

I looked it up, Iroduku. It's probably my favorite show this season. One of PA Works best. I hate how terrible amazon is, the show is impossible to find if you don't try way too hard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kater posted:

I can't tell if the bloom into you op has changed to become more menacing as the show progressed or if it's just easier to spot those themes as they've come into focus.

It's always been vaguely menacing to me but I've read the manga

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kater posted:

There's a lot of really fun trifling shows too like Miss Vampire Neighbor, Ulysses, Akenesasu Shoujo, Anima Yell!, Beezelbub, Himote House. This season has been great. Also whatever the name of that amazon high school magic show is called. That show is really quite great.

I looked it up, Iroduku. It's probably my favorite show this season. One of PA Works best. I hate how terrible amazon is, the show is impossible to find if you don't try way too hard.

It's because the JP name is Irozuku which is what everyone calls it, but searching that on Amazon gets you zilch. You specifically have to search for Iroduku and it's annoying. I enjoy Irozuku, but I can't call it my favourite show this season. Although the plot's starting to pick up again in the latest episode at least.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's いろづく which romanizes as Irozuku in the Hepburn system everyone sane uses, but as Iroduku in the Nihon-shiki system that's mostly useful for making a computer IME convert romaji to your intention. I think there's also a system where you'd write it Irodzuku, just to be extra confusing. I think PA Works has someone on staff responsible for international releases, with particular tastes for how titles should be internationalized. It just has to be ALLCAPSKEYWORD: A sentence describing the feeling.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

congrats to ilya for making it big

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kater posted:

I'd describe it as more melancholy than menacing, but yeah it hasn't visually changed or anything as the show's gone on - you've just come to understand the characters better, lol. That's the mark of a good OP, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum