Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChipNDip posted:

lol. Hardly anyone in the private sector gets to negotiate their raise. A COL raise is considered generous. You might get to negotiate pay when you start a job or weasel into a promotion, and that's it.

More like your boss's boss's boss if you work for a major corporation (which most of us do thanks to M&A insanity). Low-level managers are probably even more hosed than the peons they oversee because they make about 10-20% more but shoulder much more responsibility and are expected to deal with a lot more bullshit.

I got promoted from regular pizza maker to assistant manager at Domino's and I got an extra dollar fifty an hour (woooooo) and for that I got to deal with 10x the headache (for example I got to then watch the labor % cost for the day and make calls as to whether to send people home or keep them on in anticipation of a rush) and also got to stay way way way late all the time to count inventory and get bank deposits ready and so on. It was some supreme bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of my former bosses graduated college and became a manager at Pizza Hut. The hours were insane, the productivity metrics were impossible to satisfy (it basically amounted to policing toppings so that customers don't get too much), he had to fill in as pizza maker all the time when they were chronically understaffed, and the managers never actually got their bonuses until they filed a class action suit. He quit to become a carpenter and was much happier. And made a lot more money.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

. The hours were insane, the productivity metrics were impossible to satisfy (it basically amounted to policing toppings so that customers don't get too much), he had to fill in as pizza maker all the time when they were chronically understaffed, .

Yup this was me except I had no bonuses to qualify for and I made $8.50/hr

They did send my manager a nice watch as a reward for keeping inventory numbers/metrics looking good but that is solely because after a while I was just making the numbers up so I wasn't stuck there past midnight all the time lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
do they say "take this promotion or ur fired" like the promotion is actually a punishment and they know u need to be forced into it? why would anybody actually want to do that voluntarily?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

do they say "take this promotion or ur fired" like the promotion is actually a punishment and they know u need to be forced into it? why would anybody actually want to do that voluntarily?

It was voluntary but how was I to know it'd be that poo poo? They also promised me 9.50/hr or 10/hr (don't quite remember) and ended up not giving me that and lol I never got a written offer obviously so.

I could have quit, and I did eventually, but when you're check to check that's not really viable to do without something else better to jump to.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
one of the execs at my last job didn't believe in cost of living raises because "why should we pay more for the same amount of work". I worked there five years and got one raise in that whole time, and that was only because I got a promotion.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Dead Beef posted:

a salary means I can work as little as possible and still make the same amount of money

My experience is the opposite. I'm salaried, so if I work 80 hours in a week (which is sometimes necessary in my industry) I still just get paid for 40. I'm really lucky that my boss is super cool and she tries to comp me that time by giving me days off (which is technically against policy) when everyone else has to put in their hours or whatever, but I still don't get overtime pay.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

gey muckle mowser posted:

one of the execs at my last job didn't believe in cost of living raises because "why should we pay more for the same amount of work". I worked there five years and got one raise in that whole time, and that was only because I got a promotion.

Same here I've been working at the same company for 4 years. I bitched because I am the most qualified operator at my level and ask for a raise as I found out that my peers who are less senior than I am were hired at a higher rate.

They gave me a dollar fifty raise this year, and are genuinely surprised that I left to this job to get a $5,000 annual bump in pay with Union and county benefits.

What's really stupid is they said that I "capped out" for my level, but it's a small business with 80 employees. The CEO and the and owner of the company are still personally handing out checks for some of these employees; it's insane to think that they can't find the money to pay employees more.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Of course they can't find the money, they lost it in their bank accounts

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gey muckle mowser posted:

it's morons like that who you can tell got their job through nepotism or favoritism because "inflation" is like some basic macro 101 poo poo

Cuz you're not paying them more, you wonk CEO, you're progressively paying them less as the number value of the dollars you give them shrinks in purchasing power. IE you're progressively saving on labor cost and thinking you're hot poo poo when the end of year numbers roll around when in reality you're just loving over your workers.

So then the question really is, is he just that loving stupid or is that just what he says to ameliorate things when people complain about not getting cost of living adjustments?

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Dec 7, 2018

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

So then the question really is, is he just that loving stupid or is that just what he says to ameliorate things when people complain about not getting cost of living adjustments?

The second one, they did not give a poo poo about the employees at all. last year they laid off the entire development team (~75 people, including myself) except for one or two architects so they could replace them all with students right out of college in a different state for less money.

:thermidor:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moridin920 posted:

Well if she works in a publicly traded company her salary will more than likely be public information as well so gently caress her lol

how so, unless she’s a top exec there?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Weaponized Autism posted:

Why not just poo poo in a display toilet inside the Lowes??

They don't let us in there anymore, they caught wind of what we were doing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

how so, unless she’s a top exec there?

Between stuff like Glassdoor/Payscale, new federal disclosure rules for publicly traded companies, and a simple phone call to the right department as a shareholder requesting financial information it's not hard to find out.

Yeah it's not an easy database to look in but it ain't hard.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also,

quote:

Check Date: 11/30/2018 Gross Wage: 1530.00
Period End: 11/24/2018 Net Pay: 1138.59

thats 2x a month

love to pay for social security I'll never see medical benefits I'll never receive and taxes for to give more money to the rich. To be fair I suppose $75 of that is for my health insurance via the employer. Although to be really fair it is $150/mo for me and $150/mo for the employer so that's still $300/mo out of my pocket for middling to fair coverage.

then my rent is $1400/mo and my roommate pays $650 (total of $2050/mo) and also no utilities are included, and SDG&E (a company owned by a larger publicly traded energy conglomerate) charges some of the highest rates for electricity in the world. It is an 875 sq ft one bedroom apartment with no in-unit washer/dryer, and the rent is very competitive for the area. I drive 20 minutes to work and 45 minutes home (yay traffic), so tack on gas and insurance. For a $200-400/mo savings in rent, I would be driving at least an hour each way which would be more gas and wear and tear on the car and higher insurance bc it is based on miles driven. Ofc there's also first and last month's rent as well as security deposit to consider which means basically you can't move really.

death to america

e: (Jose this is why I get so riled up. I am a serf and I bay for blood to keep myself from going nuts.)

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Dec 7, 2018

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Moridin920 posted:

Also,

love to pay for social security I'll never see medical benefits I'll never receive and taxes for to give more money to the rich

thats 2x a month then my rent is $1400/mo and my roommate pays $650 and also no utilities are included. it is an 875 sq ft one bedroom apartment with no in-unit washer/dryer, and the rent is very competitive for the area. I drive 20 minutes to work and 45 minutes home (yay traffic), so tack on gas and insurance. For a $200-400/mo savings in rent, I would be driving at least an hour each way which would be more gas and wear and tear on the car and higher insurance bc it is based on miles driven.

death to america

e: (Jose this is why I get so riled up)

My (ex) domestic partner’s heath insurance is through my employer. Although my premiums are taken pre-tax, hers are taken post-tax. In addition the market value of her plan ($12,000) is considered a fringe benefit to me and is treated as income therefore I get taxed on it. On a $65K salary I’ll pay $18K in taxes this year, and that’s after dumping 5% in a 401k and $2650 in the FSA.

The reason I’m keeping my ex on my insurance? She is still undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer so she will die without it.

:911:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWxsT-Srdto

Posting poo poo is my praxis.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Also,

thats 2x a month

love to pay for social security I'll never see medical benefits I'll never receive and taxes for to give more money to the rich. To be fair I suppose $75 of that is for my health insurance via the employer. Although to be really fair it is $150/mo for me and $150/mo for the employer so that's still $300/mo out of my pocket for middling to fair coverage.

then my rent is $1400/mo and my roommate pays $650 (total of $2050/mo) and also no utilities are included, and SDG&E (a company owned by a larger publicly traded energy conglomerate) charges some of the highest rates for electricity in the world. It is an 875 sq ft one bedroom apartment with no in-unit washer/dryer, and the rent is very competitive for the area. I drive 20 minutes to work and 45 minutes home (yay traffic), so tack on gas and insurance. For a $200-400/mo savings in rent, I would be driving at least an hour each way which would be more gas and wear and tear on the car and higher insurance bc it is based on miles driven. Ofc there's also first and last month's rent as well as security deposit to consider which means basically you can't move really.

death to america

e: (Jose this is why I get so riled up. I am a serf and I bay for blood to keep myself from going nuts.)

would you say they're stealing your money

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Dog posted:

would you say they're stealing your money

i would say they are stealing the surplus value of my labor

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I got promoted from Pizza Boy to Executive Pizza Boy with a promised raise that never materialized and twice the responsibility.
a friend of mine who worked with me took a fuckin pay cut to go from driver to manager. when i asked why he did that he said he wanted to open his own franchise one day and needed it on his resume. lmao he quit like 3 weeks after i did

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lol you either have the capital to open a franchise or you don't

Like the loan officer is gonna give a gently caress about your experience either way - where is the collateral

Hahaha

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm also pending a promotion to assistant manager at dominos but I just found out that the regional manager is going to demand people's availability 3 weeks in advance and will write people up and fire them if they cant work that basically. Me and the managers are the only people who work this as our only job lol. Nearly everyone else second job pays more, too. My entire crew is going to quit and we've already lost too many people in the last few weeks to sick family members and having to move and poo poo. That's what I get for enjoying the pizza delivery I guess

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its gonna be cool though because I'm pretty pissed at the RM so I wont feel bad saying 'you dont pay me enough to give a poo poo about this job'

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Larry Parrish posted:

Its gonna be cool though because I'm pretty pissed at the RM so I wont feel bad saying 'you dont pay me enough to give a poo poo about this job'

If you're going to burn the bridge wait until you have a new job and/of its the busiest time of year and calling sick indefinitely until they fire you. Convince the rest of the crew to do the same.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

i was offered a manager position at my job after one stopped showing up (lol); i'm currently in a supervisor position where i really don't do much more than a regular cashier but I get paid a bit more and i can do returns, change prices, touch the computer, and be trusted alone up front most of the time. i went back and forth in my big wet smooth brain about accepting the promotion and decided not to, though there were plenty of people in my life telling me to take it because it's 'a good opportunity!' and 'looks good on a resume!'

one of my managers told me 'i would've thought you were a loving moron if you accepted it' because it's way more stress than it's worth. which, by the way, is $1.13 more than my current wage. lmao

i also got hosed out of my proper raise because it coincided with maryland's minimum wage increase and my boss tried to get them to loving do it right but they were like lol nah

i don't really care anymore though, it's low pressure and chill and i can do what i want and they rely on me because i'm the only consistently available and reliable person they have :grin:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Outrail posted:

If you're going to burn the bridge wait until you have a new job and/of its the busiest time of year and calling sick indefinitely until they fire you. Convince the rest of the crew to do the same.

:hai: gently caress em up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

Also,

thats 2x a month

death to america

Holy poo poo thank you for reminding me that I have until midnmidnight to sign up for next year's poo poo health insurance

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in California so even though its minimum wage food service and we're somehow one of the less toxic work environments, we have trouble keeping people because surprise surprise nobody is going to make an $11/hr job their main priority in life. So idgaf about being fired because any other service job in town would still hire me instantly lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm in California so even though its minimum wage food service and we're somehow one of the less toxic work environments, we have trouble keeping people because surprise surprise nobody is going to make an $11/hr job their main priority in life. So idgaf about being fired because any other service job in town would still hire me instantly lol

Hope you've got a good headshot.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this actually seems kinda cool to me. i mean ordering alcohol at a bar or restaurant is already a huge waste of money so why not have some fun with it?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

babypolis posted:

this actually seems kinda cool to me. i mean ordering alcohol at a bar or restaurant is already a huge waste of money so why not have some fun with it?

I'm waiting for the lagavulin banner

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Let me wash my hands in peace.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Rondette posted:

no

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
How long until you have to watch an ad before you can use the faucet?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

How long until you have to watch an ad before you can use the faucet?

instead of motion sensors, an eye-tracker that only activates the faucet when you’re looking at the ad

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Its impossible to read most news sites without an adblocker now. There was about 5 different ads in the article that moved the page as they loaded. Also none of the close buttons actually do anything.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rondette posted:

Bubble.png

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pirate Radar posted:

instead of motion sensors, an eye-tracker that only activates the faucet when you’re looking at the ad

wave your hands and shout "I love mcdonald's!" to turn faucet on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Coolness Averted posted:

I’ve seen this exhibit before but never looked closely at what’s on screen before an after the burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Coolness Averted posted:

I would seriously make a campaign to smash the gently caress out of everything and anything making the use of that technology. gently caress advertising and triple gently caress the monsters who demand that we have to interact with their poisonous mental sewage.