Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Caught up on the whole chat thread due to some lovely not sleeping, and I can offer the following thoughts.
Gift cards are great when you buy them at the grocery store with your 5x points on groceries credit card and then spend them on amazon and get 5x bonus points on everything. They're also a massive tax dodge for sales types so aren't going anywhere.
Australia is backwards as hell compared to even Canada which is backwards as hell to start with when it comes to online shopping, so I get the sentiment that they are less useless of you're from there though. I hate cash and avoid it whenever possible, personally.
Maker's Mark 46 is a very nice, smooth bourbon that is a little more expensive than standard, but not silly money.
AI does parenting advice :yikes:
Printers will never not suck.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Q/=e

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Queen Combat posted:

I've made a huge mistake :negative:

Was this an error in QC? :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slothrop posted:

I sense a huge marketing opportunity here. QC, get onto it!
Run the whole cosmetics gig like a Snap-On truck, too, going round workplaces selling women stuff they never knew they needed on credit.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

Run the whole cosmetics gig like a Snap-On truck, too, going round workplaces selling women stuff they never knew they needed on credit.

I hadn't even considered the actual cosmetics as an angle. I just figured that toolbox technology was ripe for co-opting into cosmetics storage.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I've considered one of these more than one times.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Run the whole cosmetics gig like a Snap-On truck, too, going round workplaces selling women stuff they never knew they needed on credit payroll deduction!

Even better!

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I've considered one of these more than one times.

My first Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver (fluorescent green) grew legs and wandered off. My second one (red) also grew legs and wandered off. The third, (boring black), guess what. My fourth and final one? Hot pink. Still have it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

InitialDave posted:

This is a good idea.

In other news, you can convert a bird scooter to your personal scooter. Turns out all you need is a $32 replacement circuit board. Depending on your thoughts on those scooters, one man's convert is another man's theft, but seeing as how I'll be throwing them in the trash if I see them in my area, I'm going with convert.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Damnit commie that sucks!

So I'm smack in the middle of the winter storm about to hit NC. My wife is convinced the roads will be fine tomorrow (while storm is hitting) to drive home. Any vehicle recommendations for when I wreck the poo poo out of our car tomorrow? I hear the new turbo Honda motor has some issues so not sure if I want another CR-V.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

angryrobots posted:

Damnit commie that sucks!

So I'm smack in the middle of the winter storm about to hit NC. My wife is convinced the roads will be fine tomorrow (while storm is hitting) to drive home. Any vehicle recommendations for when I wreck the poo poo out of our car tomorrow? I hear the new turbo Honda motor has some issues so not sure if I want another CR-V.

It's NC, even if the roads are tolerable nobody knows how to drive in this poo poo. If the roads aren't clear Monday I'll end up working from home just to not deal with the idiots on the road.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm from SC so I'm familiar. I'm hoping that the salt trucks they're already rolling will keep the ice down. Long as it's not sheet ice maybe it will be ok.

Last year in central SC we got like a 1/2 of freezing rain just before dark and then 6 inches of snow and the roads were real bad cause our DOT doesn't even have salt trucks. Like, sitting stopped in traffic my Dodge 5500 slid from a standstill sideways down the banked roadway to the shoulder. I had to drive with the right side on the grass to even move forward, 10 miles to get home.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MomJeans420 posted:

...but seeing as how I'll be throwing them in the trash if I see them in my area, I'm going with convert.

Now why in the world would you want to do that? You've got kinda on-demand transportation over reasonable distances in metropolitan areas that is also very very cheap for a point-to-point option...and you hate it because?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Queen Combat posted:

I've made a huge mistake :negative:

By not playing the Sheep Game? Because not playing is a big mistake!

Finger Prince posted:

Maker's Mark 46 is a very nice, smooth bourbon that is a little more expensive than standard, but not silly money.

Maker's Mark is good and smooth, mostly because unlike most bourbons, they use 49% wheat in their mash, which lends it a mellowness that most other bourbons that are mostly/entirely corn don't have.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

MrChips posted:

By not playing the Sheep Game? Because not playing is a big mistake!

Maker's Mark is good and smooth, mostly because unlike most bourbons, they use 49% wheat in their mash, which lends it a mellowness that most other bourbons that are mostly/entirely corn don't have.

Maker's uses wheat instead of rye. Bourbon has to have 51% corn, the rest is up to the distiller. Rye gives that slightly harsh spiciness, where wheat is sweeter and softer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Run the whole tools gig like an Ann Summers party, having an evening with the boys, drinking wine and playing games before staggering home with a paper bag filled with spanners that you will never use because they are too big for you.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

First load done. Owning a 14' diesel box truck makes poo poo like this super convenient, but also makes you the ultimate "friend with a truck".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Run the whole tools gig like an Ann Summers party, having an evening with the boys, drinking wine and playing games before staggering home with a paper bag filled with spanners that you will never use because they are too big for you.
I already have enough trouble convincing people that the vaseline in the garage is for battery terminals.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

Somebody helped themselves to several boxes of the flooring me that had been set aside for us. Looking to be about 200 sq ft short now of doing the entire second floor in a unified color and pattern.
Irritating but it was free so I guess I can sort something out.
That sucks. Does cutting out closets and washroom(s) get you there? Washrooms are better tiled anyhow.

In other :corsair: news, my back pain is not going away.

Physiotherapist believes she narrowed it down to psoas and QL so we've been working on that with her and my massage therapist. Still, my martial arts seem to make me feel better as I stretch/exercise so I'm keeping on that.... and got my results from testing last week so I got a belt promotion :toot:
The getting older bullshit and just having general body problems suck.

E: removed a bunch of poo poo nobody cares about

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 9, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Prong Song posted:

Now why in the world would you want to do that? You've got kinda on-demand transportation over reasonable distances in metropolitan areas that is also very very cheap for a point-to-point option...and you hate it because?

It's a band-aid solution to public transportation problems. They end up piled everywhere so they clog sidewalks so people, in particular people with disabilities, can't get through. They're motorized and afaik not allowed on streets, so if they ride on sidewalks it's a collision hazard for pedestrians.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

QuarkMartial posted:

It's a band-aid solution to public transportation problems. They end up piled everywhere so they clog sidewalks so people, in particular people with disabilities, can't get through. They're motorized and afaik not allowed on streets, so if they ride on sidewalks it's a collision hazard for pedestrians.
Could be worse.
https://youtu.be/OXX423ErY1U

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sketchy is the previous tenants driving by, seeing me, then passing to talk to the neighbors behind before taking off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Sketchy is the previous tenants driving by, seeing me, then passing to talk to the neighbors behind before taking off.

Make sure the locks have been changed.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Make sure the locks have been changed.

New locksets are on their way for the doors, the garages are padlocked, thankfully.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

QuarkMartial posted:

They're not a "band-aid" solution to public transportation "problems". Number one, public transportation in the USA is not a problem; those metropolitan areas which can support public transport networks already do so as I have gone on and on about previously. Secondly, there seems a simple solution for that issue. Much like all the local authorities have done in my area - if you want your scooters in our town, their location has to be monitored and they have to be redistributed on a daily basis, with at least *insert percentage here* placed in areas with poor bus coverage and in lower-income areas. Thirdly, "it's a collision hazard for pedestrians" - OK, so are bikes, unmotorized scooters, rollerbladers, skateboarders, etc. Hell, joggers are a collision hazard for pedestrians. So? It's the responsibility of the person operating the scooter to do so in a safe fashion.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I agree with you TPS but also gently caress those scooters.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I wonder what the biggest hazard is to pedestrians. Probably electric scooters, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The electric scooters are all over Tempe, Az, and are a loving shitshow. People blasting all over the place through red lights / across the road, weaving through people, etc.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

jamal posted:

I wonder what the biggest hazard is to pedestrians. Probably electric scooters, right?

The biggest hazard to pedestrians are morons who don't look out for pedestrians.

EDIT: To further state; it doesn't matter what someone's driving/riding/operating. If they aren't being careful, eventually someone's going to get hosed up, that someone may not be the operator, and it's going to be the operator's fault.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 9, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

Other pedestrians

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

The biggest hazard to pedestrians are morons who don't look out for pedestrians.

EDIT: To further state; it doesn't matter what someone's driving/riding/operating. If they aren't being careful, eventually someone's going to get hosed up, that someone may not be the operator, and it's going to be the operator's fault.

The other issue at hand is that unlike literally any other form of transportation, the scooters are unceremoniously dumped wherever the gently caress. If some jackass leaves a scooter blocking the sidewalk, that's as much a problem for some pedestrians as someone blasting around about to run them down.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Prong Song posted:

They're not a "band-aid" solution to public transportation "problems". Number one, public transportation in the USA is not a problem; those metropolitan areas which can support public transport networks already do so as I have gone on and on about previously. Secondly, there seems a simple solution for that issue. Much like all the local authorities have done in my area - if you want your scooters in our town, their location has to be monitored and they have to be redistributed on a daily basis, with at least *insert percentage here* placed in areas with poor bus coverage and in lower-income areas. Thirdly, "it's a collision hazard for pedestrians" - OK, so are bikes, unmotorized scooters, rollerbladers, skateboarders, etc. Hell, joggers are a collision hazard for pedestrians. So? It's the responsibility of the person operating the scooter to do so in a safe fashion.

Bikes are supposed to be on the roadway. Birds don't do anything that a moped doesn't do better, while obeying traffic laws and thus not being a hazard to pedestrians or drivers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Liquid Communism posted:

Bikes are supposed to be on the roadway. Birds don't do anything that a moped doesn't do better, while obeying traffic laws and thus not being a hazard to pedestrians or drivers.

Lotta birds driving where you live?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The conversation is about the Bird electric scooters that are popping up everywhere.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The Prong Song posted:

I had a hearty lol at the idea that public transportation in the USA is not a problem.

Rhyno posted:

:colbert:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
We recently got Lime scooters here and the pearl-clutching and moaning about safety has been hilarious. If people think scooters are dangerous, wait till they hear about how many people cars kill.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

I wonder what the biggest hazard is to pedestrians.
Stupidity.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Last mile transport is incredibly important, and I'm happy to see more and more options for people in less than stellarly covered areas. Beyond meat products are so close to the real thing that my wife cannot eat them, and as a dirty carnist I loving love them.

Just found the email from HR in spam for the background check packet I have to have complete and sent in by the thirteenth. forty-five pages, and my birth certificate was lost in a flood when I was fourteen. So monday I get to drive from coastal VA to charleston WV during the "scary winter storm" in a versa to get another that same day.

It's been three days and I'm only like a third done. On the plus side, I smashed the fire chief panel interview and the only reason I'm having to do this is I'm all but hired. Gonna be sitting on my rear end for half my shifts or doing chores to make more than most people with a bachelors in the area, with paid training up through ALS. gently caress Yes.

E: QC tool drawers really do work as makeup storage, there's a burlesque performer in the area that dollys in a small cabinet with a bigass mirror and lights attached so she has the perfect setup for putting on the stage face no matter the venue. Get you one! And happy belated bday.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not untrue, but statistically heart disease?

I've worked 17 hours this weekend, plus 20 hours OT already this month, start of production for the new model is tomorrow morning and pretty much every department is hoping whatever level of fuckup they have to contain flies under the directors radar and subrogee else cops it. I hadn't planned to work at all this weekend and I'm just so deeply tired I want it all to stop. I want it to be warm out so I can work on the cars or in the garden or garage.

The garage is uninsulated and detached from the house, are there practical/cheapish ways to heat it? That would help. I think I'm stuck with electric, maybe I need to pick up a cheap storage heater.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Last I saw any numbers on it here, cyclists were the number one reason for pedestrians needing medical attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In early 1996, I was a very small guy. 5'1" and maybe 125lbs. I'd also recently changed schools and didn't have many friends. So I was a target and dude nearly twice my size beat the unholy gently caress out of me. Like, beat me so bad I got knocked out. And after all the hoopla he got a single day of suspension because basketball is more important than an child's safety.

So it was incredibly satisfying to run into him today. Bald, horrifically out of shape and married to a beast of a woman who if I had to guess was 300lbs minimum. When I said "oh this is my wife" you could see the sadness gather in his eyes. It was wonderful. I'm a bum but I won in that contest of life.