Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

The Republic of Ireland seems to be an absolute bastion of progressive energy given some of their recent social referendums.

Eh we're doing fine but government is pretty solidly locked up between 2 dominant neoliberal parties pursuing a predictably corporatist agenda. Other parties have largely succumbed to PASOKification. Still, politics is sane here, which is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

the hosed up thing about democracy is that Aristotle was almost right when he said that democracy leads to the masses voting themselves a largess from the state, except instead the masses vote for the wealthy to receive that largess on vague promises of getting some dosh on the side

And even then Aristotle talked a lot about democracies being swayed by pseudo-populist hucksters.

Guys, I think democracy might not work...:ohdear:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

nine-gear crow posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why are mods able to probate other mods?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

VorpalBunny posted:

The headline on The Ingraham Angle - "COLLUSION DELUSION: No mention of Russian collusion in Mueller filings"
Corey Lewandowski is on the panel. The Kool-aid is strong tonight.

Is it literally those words don't appear so Trump is in the clear? It's hard to make sense of their ramblings. Even though mentions of contacts with Russians is throughout Cohen's paperwork?

"If the words don't appear, Daddy's in the clear!" is today's glove don't fit.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

Who watches the watchmen?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oodles posted:

Who watches the watchmen?

Coast guard?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Wake up sheeple!

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1071344278901846016

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

When I saw that tweet the first thing that came to my mind was "Why are the Obamas going to a function honoring John Kelly?" and then I snapped back to reality.

Sigh, it was a good few seconds of confusion though.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

logger posted:

When I saw that tweet the first thing that came to my mind was "Why are the Obamas going to a function honoring John Kelly?" and then I snapped back to reality.

Sigh, it was a good few seconds of confusion though.

Windows Simulated Reality encountered an error and needs to restart. Please consume alcohol while the system re-syncs your synapses with simulation output.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

That expose the Daily Beast did on Milo as he was reaching terminal velocity in his post-pedo career tailspin had a fascinating sub-plot weaved through it and that was how Access Journalists like Olivia Nuzzi worked their asses off to ingratiate themselves to Milo and become his friends despite knowing he was a toxic white supremacist. I think it is endemic to the system, they don’t know how to properly respond to actual fascists so they divide by zero mentally and try to make friends with the fascists, because Almighty Access. Maggie demands her precious Access.

This was from a few pages ago, but I don't think this is quite right. Access may be important to a lot of reporters/journalists, sure, but Olivia Nuzzi was a fan of not just Milo, but Ann Coulter too. Not sure what type of access one would get by being buddy-buddy with those clowns. Nuzzi seems like less of an accepting centrist, and more of a crypto-chud, which is why that Buzzfeed article seemed so terrifying imo. It showed several examples of supposedly left-wing news outlets, like Vice, hiring people who provide intel to right-winger outlets.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's so annoying that people still think rich people are smart when they're probably the dumbest people on earth.

Stereotype posted:

It’s astounding to me how dumb everyone involved in this administration is. Then it’s massively depressing that tens of millions of people think that they are actually very smart.

It’s no wonder everyone is constantly trying to scam Americans, most of us are incomprehensibly stupid.

it's frightening realizing how many people in your life are actually absolutely braindead when you hear them talk about these folks (or politics in general). i had an older coworker showing me a tpusa meme about aoc asking me what i thought about it (knowing i'm very left wing). this dude is like third from the top in our company. the same email had a bunch of other right wing propaganda that would've taken two seconds to debunk.

it was driving me insane after the election how many people in the office were using the ahistorical cities vs rural electoral college defense (even people i know definitely didn't vote for trump)..

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 8, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Large Adult President is awake.https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071382401954267136
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071387078901030913
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071389414239162369

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 8, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LOL he's repeating charlie kirk's lie about the "we want trump" chants. the president of the united states. holy poo poo. there's no bottom.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
"W.W. I or 2" ... how does anyone end up writing it that way?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Smeef posted:

"W.W. I or 2" ... how does anyone end up writing it that way?

You start by being dumb enough to write the sentence it is in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the apple doesn't fall far.

https://twitter.com/DavidWohl/status/1071390671523606528

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
He's just a hateful, incoherent rear end in a top hat with accelerating dementia. There is no bottom because there's nothing loving there in the first place. Any sense people think they can make of his behavior is just their own pattern recognition trying not to freak out over a divide by zero error.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

LOL he's repeating charlie kirk's lie about the "we want trump" chants. the president of the united states. holy poo poo. there's no bottom.

He will repeat literally anything that feeds his all-consuming narcissism. The only reason he hasn't tweeted about QAnon yet is that he doesn't know about it (yet).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

right. i guess it's good that i haven't been outrage fatigued and it can still blow my mind that this is how the president of the united states functions.

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1071154001717141506
https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1071253700700762112

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 8, 2018

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I might have broken through a sanity barrier because the European military one is the funniest one yet and I'm barely managing not to giggle inanely.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ague Proof posted:

You should take a look at the recent bans sometime.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

b0ng posted:

The Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers

:vince:

Someone please send this post back in time about 9 years because there’s a loving killer thread title for an Obama Administration D&D thread.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

:vince:

Someone please send this post back in time about 9 years because there’s a loving killer thread title for an Obama Administration D&D thread.

No worries, it was done at one point.

That's a throwback from the FReep thread iirc

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Groovelord Neato posted:

right. i guess it's good that i haven't been outrage fatigued and it can still blow my mind that this is how the president of the united states functions.

Maybe Hannity is aware that he has caught the brainworms and is still slightly self-aware enough to realize that something is wrong with him. It will pass.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe Hannity is aware that he has caught the brainworms and is still slightly self-aware enough to realize that something is wrong with him. It will pass.

He's laying the groundwork for the "I don't remember" defense in court.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not remembering what you had for dinner last thursday is believable. not remembering who you had on your show that day is a lie.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Real question is whether he's doing this as framing for Trump and co. Repeatedly saying "I don't remember" on the witness stand, or if he's doing it so he can then cite it when he himself is saying it. Dude has intimate nightly phone calls with dear leader and Cohen was his "lawyer."

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
His lawyer advised him to start forgetting poo poo, lol

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sanguinia posted:

The Left seems to be doing pretty well in Britain thanks to how badly Teresa May has botch everything Brexit related, and Brexit happening at all. Assuming the country finds a way to avert disaster Corbyn and Labour seem to have a bright future.

The last thing I heard about German politics other than Merkel appointing her successor was that the biggest winner in the Bavarian elections was the Green Party, at the expense of the centrists AND the Far Right. With Merkel out of the picture its hard to forecast the future but I'd call that a good sign.

Neither the left NOR right has managed to claim the Yellow Jacket protests in France, all that's clear about them right now is they're very Anti-Macron and his pro-Corporation middle/working class gutting platform, but the fact that as far as I know they leave out the anti-Muslim/anti-Immigrant rhetoric and focus entirely on strengthening the social safety net and reducing taxes on the lower classes at the expense of the elites makes it seem like something the left is far more likely to capitalize on than LePen. There was a whole editorial in the Wall Street Journal this week about how the Yellow Jackets are NOT the friends of Conservatives and the right should stop signal-boosting them.

The Republic of Ireland seems to be an absolute bastion of progressive energy given some of their recent social referendums.

I don't think Europe is quite as dire as it seems from the outside, excepting a few specific Really Bad Situations like Poland. In fact, I read an article today that said a lot of other EU countries are really getting fed up with Poland's right wing poo poo, and the upcoming disciplinary hearings they're going to have over the thing with the courts is likely to get very ugly for them because of all the bad will they've earned for themselves.
In Germany I agree, but in France I think the fash are actually running on an economically leftist platform. Which is incredibly dangerous when the guy in power - elected in a runoff because voters rightly believed anyone would be better than the FN - immediately started making GBS threads on the poor. The gilets jaunes seem to be split for now, but going by this thing going round on Facebook islamophobia and anti-immigration are at least mainstream views within the movement.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jet sanchEz posted:

His lawyer advised him to start forgetting poo poo, lol

Ah, the old Alberto Gonzales Defence.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

You should take a look at the recent bans sometime.

good lord I didn't realize the basta toxx was finally enforced...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Groovelord Neato posted:

That last line about texts sounds like an early defense against something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1071252809583132672

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

The first tweet is the most delusional thing he’s tweeted.

Well, today at least.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ague Proof posted:

Checks and balances, duder. You know, like how US government is supposed to function

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

The gilets jaunes seem to be split for now, but going by this thing going round on Facebook islamophobia and anti-immigration are at least mainstream views within the movement.

That's most likely something Bannon or his ilk made and in no way anything resembling official.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hahahaha, wtf is this bullshit? Oh my god, this hurts it's so dumb

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/crislopezg/status/1071069943175749632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

BigglesSWE posted:

The first tweet is the most delusional thing he’s tweeted.

Well, today at least.

How can you say that when the other two tweets are just as delusional?