Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Sakurai, you may have wanted to reconsider this one... :/

If anything you'd think they'd just use a bigger Little Mac for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also, I know they probably took them out because this game is stuffed to the gills as it is, but it's disappointing to not have the trophies anymore. The stickers seem far worse when you know they replaced trophies.

Still, that I can excuse. What I can't excuse is that they didn't add any new Metal Gear Codecs! Seriously, what the gently caress Nintendo?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

david hayter died, sorry

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

If anything you'd think they'd just use a bigger Little Mac for that
He's placed right before the node on the map where you fight Little Mac proper to unlock him in World of Light, so I could understand the thinking of not wanting to fight Mac twice in a row like that.

Still pretty unfortunate though- they could have come up with something else.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the spirits are ok because they've given giftpia and captain rainbow the first acknowledgment nintendo has ever given them in literal years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CiAeV1RxYg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the captain rainbow dream is for nintendo to announce captain rainbow for smash with an animated trailer of little mac tearfully hugging him, happy to see his old friend who got him back into shape finally get the love he deserves

but getting to fight nick as a spirit applied to captain falcon is cool so i'll accept that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

captain rainbow had a trophy in 4, at least, but heck yeah giftpia

are there any homeland spirits

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

captain rainbow had a trophy in 4, at least, but heck yeah giftpia

are there any homeland spirits

god i hope so

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So the Good Old Games guy who kept accidently tweeting stupid stuff moved to some right wing site apparently? Shocking.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hey now, he only tweeted two of the three lovely offensive tweets. cd projekt red has their own garbage pr guy who did the epic cyberpunk 2077 tweet

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

hey now, he only tweeted two of the three lovely offensive tweets. cd projekt red has their own garbage pr guy who did the epic cyberpunk 2077 tweet
*sigh* Were the Pollocks Poles always this racist?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 8, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
grouchio why would you use that specific word of all words in that sentence

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

grouchio why would you use that specific word of all words in that sentence
Demeaning the semi-fascists that have a vicegrip on Poland. I write this at 4am.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 8, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Huh, I always assumed the Paper Mario series had the same gameplay as the Mario and Luigi GBA games but instead this is Babby's First ARPG. I'm not sure if I'm into this or not. It's really loving simplistic so far.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

Sakurai, you may have wanted to reconsider this one... :/
That's an unfortunate :yikes: considering they probably did that because Sandman and DK are the final and secret boss of Punch-Out Wii respectively and didn't really think about it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 8, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rarity posted:

Huh, I always assumed the Paper Mario series had the same gameplay as the Mario and Luigi GBA games but instead this is Babby's First ARPG. I'm not sure if I'm into this or not. It's really loving simplistic so far.

Paper Mario is an rpg, Super Paper Mario is kinda a spinoff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

please stop playing super paper mario before it's too late

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

please stop playing super paper mario before it's too late
It's good though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

It's good though.
this joke isn't funny

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Paper Mario is an rpg, Super Paper Mario is kinda a spinoff.

Oh.

I got all excited though.

:sigh:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

Oh.

Mario & Luigi titles are far more interactive in their battles with a heavy focus on figuring out the enemy tells so that you can dodge them and even damage the enemy during their turn.

The paper mario games people are fond of the most generally focus on party members and a timed hits battle system where all of the numbers are really low so as put further emphasis on how important and powerful it is when you power up, as well as the badge system which allows you to customize Mario by giving him various different passive and active skills.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Smash made me hate Isabelle

My brother keeps spamming the fishing pole and it completely fucks with my normal approach to spacing. Its infuriating.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

inexplicably playing fortnite again. they added planes this season which seem, not necessarily bad, but weirdly against type for a br game. like they're not really any good at killing people, and put a big target on your back because everyone knows immediately when a loud rear end plane is flying around and they're insanely easy to shoot down. on the other hand they can get you around the map Real Quick, and if you don't actually care about looting or winning you can just fly around for most of the round and get top 10

i am genuinely not sure why they added them, but they are fun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Reminds me of the vehicles in starsiege tribes where I didn't care how often I was getting blown up in them, I was gonna ly to the enemy base in one dammit

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 8, 2018

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Smash is extremely good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Reminds me of the vehicles in starsiege tribes where I didn't care how often I was getting blown up in them, I was gonna ly to the enemy base in one dammit
when I got bored of playing tribes the right way, I would always load up that air combat mod that made you explode if you touched the ground. flying around in a hpc with a bunch of mortar heavies is just insanely cool

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

za warudo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh gently caress I just realized because Kingdom Hearts 3 releases next year and Nintendo is aiming to maximize profit, Sora could actually end up in Smash.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Sora, put Goofy in Smash cowards

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Colonel posted:

I thought CD Project owned GoG now?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Cd Projekt owns a subsidiary that owns GoG.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rarity posted:

Paper Mario series is significantly better than the Mario and Luigi series :colbert:

Rarity posted:

Oh.

Oh you're playing Super? Its okay. But weird.

Mario RPG on SNES, Paper Mario on 64, and Thousand Year Door on GC are the 3 best Mario RPG games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm destroying my Switch if there's no Kyle Hyde spirit

thank god

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The power of cardboard boxes and paper clips shall overcome all.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the kinda funny show for games that aren't big enough to be at the game awards thing is happening in an hour. there's supposed to be announcements for yakuza, and others? as for me i'm just hoping it's embarrassing in a funny way https://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was just randomly thinking: what's everyone's favorite game that they don't think they'll ever actually beat? For me it's probably Thumper. I pretty much adore everything about that game but it is so god damned hard and so amazingly intense that I can't see myself ever actually finishing it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

axelblaze posted:

I was just randomly thinking: what's everyone's favorite game that they don't think they'll ever actually beat? For me it's probably Thumper. I pretty much adore everything about that game but it is so god damned hard and so amazingly intense that I can't see myself ever actually finishing it.

thumper's final boss is hilariously cruel, it might have one of the most dickish gimmicks i've ever seen in a rhythm game

there's a few games i dropped out of boredom but my reflexes haven't degenerated enough yet so that i can't beat one outright, though something like, i dunno, vanquish on GOD HARD will always be more than i want to deal with

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any of Jeff Minter's recent-ish Tempest clones, I love then and buy them all then never get past the fifth stage.

Also same on Thumper, once it got to the point where it was taking me 15 minutes to beat a single level I decided it was never gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

axelblaze posted:

That's a hard question for me to think about since I tend to have a much higher opinion of a game if I have the drive to finish at least the main story, and if I don't then it probably was Just All Right at best.