Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Easy Diff posted:

OK, gearing up for the Steam Winter Sale; please tell me two games on my list to bump to the top of "omg you have to play this" and two games to completely remove.

Obra Dinn is excellent.
Red faction guerilla if you haven't already played it before and like breaking buildings.

Remove Deus Ex maybe if you don't really like that kind of game, they haven't given it a proper ending yet still so it will disappoint even if it's solid up to that but you could just play Prey instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Easy Diff posted:

OK, gearing up for the Steam Winter Sale; please tell me two games on my list to bump to the top of "omg you have to play this" and two games to completely remove.

You can probably remove The Red Strings Club. The premise is interesting but goes absolutely nowhere, and the ending is literally the opening cutscene lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hi thread, I've moved from being angry to being creative and chill. Occupy White Walls is making me extremely happy, and now I want to build more things.

I want a game that contains:

- first or third person POV
- building mechanics. place walls, place floors, build a little den or base of your own. Think 3D sims Build-a-house and you're in the right area.
- isn't too obtrusive with the rest of the gameplay / has a creative mode
- Is pretty to look at

What's good?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hi thread, I've moved from being angry to being creative and chill. Occupy White Walls is making me extremely happy, and now I want to build more things.

- building mechanics. place walls, place floors, build a little den or base of your own. Think 3D sims Build-a-house and you're in the right area.
- Is pretty to look at

What's good?

I, too, would like a version of Fallout 4 that is good.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Is pretty to look at

What's good?

You could try Stonehearth.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Is pretty to look at

What's good?

Creativerse? It's kinda like vanilla Minecraft, but better, and free. Also Fallout: 76 :hehe:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 7, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Keeshhound posted:

I, too, would like a version of Fallout 4 that is good.

Fallout's aesthetics suck and I don't want to build things that look like Fallout things.

Mayveena posted:

You could try Stonehearth.

Thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Creativerse? It's kinda like vanilla Minecraft, but better, and free.

Excellent thank you!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hi thread! I'm looking for some strategy games with specific mechanics. Old or complicated is fine, but Dominions and Dwarf Fortress are the limit of my ability to handle poo poo UI and grognardiness.

Turn Based City Builder

TBS (non-tactics game) with an action point or pips mechanic

Games where the nation/group/organization becomes different because of your choices and changes dramatically during your playthrough. The best example I can come up with, and it's not great, is Majesty. The choice of non-human changes the character of your city - gnomes spamming hovels and creating a slum, dwarves making fortifications - and the choice of temples creates a different overall theme. A bad example would be Civilization, where you can focus on different things, build different buildings, and take different techs at different times, but the character of the group you're playing as doesn't change, only your immediate capabilities.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looking for a good game for my wife. She has very particular tastes, so I wonder if any of you might be able to recommend something.

She is looking for a game that is preferably on the Nintendo Switch. Her favorite games are ones that have a bit of a task management aspect to them. Games she has really enjoyed: Stardew Valley, Cook Serve Delicious 1 & 2, Katamari Damacy, Dragon Quest Builders, 2 Point Hospital, Animal Crossing, Story of Seasons.

Her favorite games tend to be ones where you build/decorate (Stardew Valley, Dragon Quest Builders, Animal Crossing) or ones where you have to manage a bunch of tasks (Cook Serve Delicious, 2 Point Hospital). She also likes games where exploration is heavily featured (Zelda Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, Dragon Quest Builders again).

She's not so much into games that are a heavy story focus or a heavy combat focus. She's not into open-ended things like Minecraft because she wants tasks and goal to keep her motivated to keep playing.

I can't really find anything to fit that description on the Switch. Any ideas?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Yoku Island Express. It's a metroidvania with traditional mechanics replaced with pinball gameplay, it's cute and good, and fairly linear.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Creativerse? It's kinda like vanilla Minecraft, but better, and free.

After a while of playing this I found the default inventory to be frustratingly small due to all the trash that you constantly pick up. Of course, of course, there's a microtransaction to get a bigger inventory.
Aside from that, the crafting table mechanics are a bit odd compared to minecraft, and mining ore involves placing down a block which takes some time to extract it. I think you're intended to make multiple ore extractors but by that time I'd decided to stop playing.

It's probably okay to play without spending money if you're good with inventory management.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Hi thread! I'm looking for some strategy games with specific mechanics. Old or complicated is fine, but Dominions and Dwarf Fortress are the limit of my ability to handle poo poo UI and grognardiness.

Turn Based City Builder

TBS (non-tactics game) with an action point or pips mechanic

Games where the nation/group/organization becomes different because of your choices and changes dramatically during your playthrough. The best example I can come up with, and it's not great, is Majesty. The choice of non-human changes the character of your city - gnomes spamming hovels and creating a slum, dwarves making fortifications - and the choice of temples creates a different overall theme.
Smallworld my dude. Available both in paper and digital.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 7, 2018

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Turn Based City Builder

Have you checked out Concrete Jungle? It's more of a puzzle game with a city building theme, but it's the only game I can think of that could go under "Turn Based City Builder"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Have you checked out Concrete Jungle? It's more of a puzzle game with a city building theme, but it's the only game I can think of that could go under "Turn Based City Builder"

Caveat: It's a bad game that does the Darkest Dungeon thing of mistaking RNG for a tuned difficulty curve. No matter what you do, certain stages you will just need to restart because the tetronimoscity blocks just don't fall when you need them.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Easy Diff posted:

Caveat: It's a bad game that does the Darkest Dungeon thing of mistaking RNG for a tuned difficulty curve. No matter what you do, certain stages you will just need to restart because the tetronimoscity blocks just don't fall when you need them.

Thanks for rec and the caveat. It's not really what I'm looking for but I'll check it out and not expect much.

Easy Diff posted:

Smallworld my dude. Available both in paper and digital.

Why? I haven't played it in a long time, but from what I remember it's a game where you spend a resource until you run out and you trade in civilizations.

Edit:
To be more clear about the action points thing, I'm interested in it as a way to avoid the bloat of micro busywork of large or endgame factions, keeping decisions meaningful. I'm also interested in the experience of playing as a ruler with limited attention, rather than an omnipotent god of the faction.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 7, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a good game for my wife. She has very particular tastes, so I wonder if any of you might be able to recommend something.

She is looking for a game that is preferably on the Nintendo Switch. Her favorite games are ones that have a bit of a task management aspect to them. Games she has really enjoyed: Stardew Valley, Cook Serve Delicious 1 & 2, Katamari Damacy, Dragon Quest Builders, 2 Point Hospital, Animal Crossing, Story of Seasons.

Her favorite games tend to be ones where you build/decorate (Stardew Valley, Dragon Quest Builders, Animal Crossing) or ones where you have to manage a bunch of tasks (Cook Serve Delicious, 2 Point Hospital). She also likes games where exploration is heavily featured (Zelda Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, Dragon Quest Builders again).

She's not so much into games that are a heavy story focus or a heavy combat focus. She's not into open-ended things like Minecraft because she wants tasks and goal to keep her motivated to keep playing.

I can't really find anything to fit that description on the Switch. Any ideas?

My Time at Portia either is coming to or already on the Switch, that fits pretty much all of those.

Yonder: the Cloud Catcher chronicles is in the same area, too.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Gonna re-recommend SteamWorld Heist, with I guess the caveat that difficulties above Experienced might be too hard? As is I have had missions go bad, but my first attempt this run on the Queen went well, and that was with using all my lowest level crew-members (besides Piper cause she's the captain).

Also the gripe about the ricochet's uselessness got me to experiment with'em, and I've managed some nifty trick shots with scoped weapons.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Gonna re-recommend SteamWorld Heist, with I guess the caveat that difficulties above Experienced might be too hard? As is I have had missions go bad, but my first attempt this run on the Queen went well, and that was with using all my lowest level crew-members (besides Piper cause she's the captain).

Also the gripe about the ricochet's uselessness got me to experiment with'em, and I've managed some nifty trick shots with scoped weapons.

What approach did you use in the Queen fight? Did you try to focus fire on the queen or did you take out the reinforcements first?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

What approach did you use in the Queen fight? Did you try to focus fire on the queen or did you take out the reinforcements first?

I started out taking out the reinforcements as they showed up, but once the second Big Guy arrived he was in a very inconvenient spot for me so I decided may as well ignore him and just kill the Queen and lesser reinforcements.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I'm looking for a game that leans heavily on the "Build a base to survive the elements and/or against hostile forces."

Don't Starve is probably my primary example, but I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into it, and I'm looking for something that has a bit more "base building" in that mix. I've already tried ARK, but the dinosaurs theme didn't really grab me, and it runs like trash. I've also tried games like Terraria/Starbound, but I'm looking for a little more gameplay around the base building being necessary for survival aspect. I tried Rimworld as well, but it just felt to punishingly arbitrary and random for my liking.

One person recommended The Forest, which looks like ARK but weird flesh monsters instead of dinos, but that game doesn't seem to have a lot of survival aspects to it (I don't actually know, just guessing).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

User0015 posted:

I'm looking for a game that leans heavily on the "Build a base to survive the elements and/or against hostile forces."

Don't Starve is probably my primary example, but I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of hours into it, and I'm looking for something that has a bit more "base building" in that mix. I've already tried ARK, but the dinosaurs theme didn't really grab me, and it runs like trash. I've also tried games like Terraria/Starbound, but I'm looking for a little more gameplay around the base building being necessary for survival aspect. I tried Rimworld as well, but it just felt to punishingly arbitrary and random for my liking.

One person recommended The Forest, which looks like ARK but weird flesh monsters instead of dinos, but that game doesn't seem to have a lot of survival aspects to it (I don't actually know, just guessing).

7 Days to Die is basically a voxel builder with in depth crafting and scavenging, set in a post zombie apocalypse. Zombies roam during the day and go loving ballistic at night, so base building is a critical part of the game (be it a fort in the woods, or fortifying an existing structure in a town).

That said, it is janky af so be warned.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

User0015 posted:

Subnautica - and it’s amazing.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Tenacious J posted:

Subnautica - and it’s amazing.

Confirm. Subnautica is basically what I'm asking for again! (I built multiple bases in it just for fun)

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

7 Days to Die is basically a voxel builder with in depth crafting and scavenging, set in a post zombie apocalypse. Zombies roam during the day and go loving ballistic at night, so base building is a critical part of the game (be it a fort in the woods, or fortifying an existing structure in a town).

That said, it is janky af so be warned.

Yeah, that's the trouble. It seems like that game, ARK and The Forest all have some level of jank in them. Of the three, I'd probably pick ARK but I have none of the DLC so I don't know if I can play on any private goon servers. I think they all run new maps or such.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Of the three,

ARK has the most survival aspects, and lets you train dinos/pets,
7 Days has the most character advancement and base-building options (by magnitudes!) and allows vehicles and electric base appliances, (with optional procgen random maps)
The Forest has the most guided experience with handmade survival-horror cave delving, rather than ARK's open unguided world and 7Day's utterly open landscape

ARK and 7 Days are tied for general jank imo, with The Forest having less single-player and more multi-player jank than the others.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

7d2d has also spent 5 years in early access at this point as the decidedly amateur devs thrash around wildly. That said, they have consistently improved over that period, which is something no AAA studio can really say over the same timeframe.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you liked Don't Starve a lot, but now want a game like that, but with more basebuilding, you might want to check out another game by Klei, Oxygen Not Included. It gets into more elaborate construction like with plumbing, electricity, and clone management.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Frostpunk would seem to be a good fit.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you liked Don't Starve a lot, but now want a game like that, but with more basebuilding, you might want to check out another game by Klei, Oxygen Not Included. It gets into more elaborate construction like with plumbing, electricity, and clone management.

I've put over 500 hours into ONI already. Don't judge me.

I've picked up Stellaris in the meantime, but it's not really scratching that base building itch.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

User0015 posted:

I've put over 500 hours into ONI already. Don't judge me.

I've picked up Stellaris in the meantime, but it's not really scratching that base building itch.

Yeah, Stellaris ia no way a base builder. It's a large scale semi abstract civilization builder.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's a space rear end in a top hat simulator, also known as a 4X :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Nalesh posted:

It's a space rear end in a top hat simulator, also known as a 4X :v:

Reading this I imagined a goatse-shaped blackhole (ring included) and chuckled.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, Stellaris ia no way a base builder. It's a large scale semi abstract civilization builder.

I didn't mean to imply it was. It's just a distraction while I look for other games, and a lot of suggestions were games I've been looking at. It's just a question of how much jank am I willing to deal with vs how extensive there base building is.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

User0015 posted:

Have you ever looked at Evil Genius, the dungeon-keeper style game where you build the base of a villain in a spy movie? It's older, but holds up well IMO.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
E: I can't read

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

User0015 posted:

Subnautica is similar to Don't Starve in that way, but nothing ever directly attacks your base.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Honestly 7 Days to Die sounds like exactly what you're looking for. You should try it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm bored and looking for a mindless jrpg and/or character action game for the PS4. Preferably for under $20. The more anime the better.

Oh poo poo. Nevermind. Just saw that Danganronpa is on sale.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 16, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, let's say I'm thinking ponying up the dough for a recent AAA title.
What would you recommend.
AC: Odyssey
Marvel's Spider-Man
Xenoblade Saga 2.

Additional Information: I love open world games that let me forget the main plot for 40 hours, hate climbing puzzles and am neutral to anime tiddy and gacha mechanics.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I loved the gently caress out of Spider-man (but I'm a huge loving mark for Spider-man to begin with).

Odyssey seemed like a game that should have been 30-40 hours that was stretched out to 80-100 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I loved Odyssey this year, having never really been into an AC game before. I even explained why here! The game kind of expects that you'll go do sidequests and set the main story aside for a bit, but the central plot wasn't too terrible either, as far as these games go.