Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BGrifter posted:

I was surprised to see Arena of Valor, the iOS MOBA I dicked around with a bit last year. Is it any good on the Switch? My #1 problem with it on iOS was the controls, so if they added proper controller support on the Switch it could be pretty fun.
The port is really good, just turn off post processing in the options for a more consistent framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Have there been any special 'discounts' for Online users?

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Imagined posted:

*Because I'm buying Smash and Pokemon after my kid goes to bed on Xmas Eve.

Just gave me an idea for a feature, where you can buy games and keep them hidden from the home screen until a certain date, or to be really dickish, show it as a gift box icon (like on the 3DS) that won't open until your chosen date.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If anyone was wondering about that 8BitDo GameCube/Wii CC adaptor, it works great. I didn't notice any difference in lag between using my Switch Pro Controller and my Hori Gamecube style Wii Classic Controller plugged into the adapter. It's a niche product for sure, but it's perfect for me.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BGrifter posted:

I was surprised to see Arena of Valor, the iOS MOBA I dicked around with a bit last year. Is it any good on the Switch? My #1 problem with it on iOS was the controls, so if they added proper controller support on the Switch it could be pretty fun.

AoV is a little behind on patches, because it's actually a different game with different balances in place, but if you enjoyed the mobile game, you'll enjoy the Switch version. It has full controller support and is pretty good for a MOBA.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

asecondduck posted:

If anyone was wondering about that 8BitDo GameCube/Wii CC adaptor, it works great. I didn't notice any difference in lag between using my Switch Pro Controller and my Hori Gamecube style Wii Classic Controller plugged into the adapter. It's a niche product for sure, but it's perfect for me.

I'm thinking of getting it for playing NES games with the NES Mini controller, do you think it might be good for that purpose too?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Andrigaar posted:

No dice tonight?

Nope. Super bummed. And also mad that I am 36 and mad my video game didn’t come on time.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Is anyone else having an issue with smash where when its more than 2 characters on screen that you just cannot tell what the gently caress is at all going on? Cause I'm having that issue every match as I play through single player.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hi i'm here to tell you it's not just muscle memory because Smash feels awkward to play for me even though i've never played it on GC

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

nerd_of_prey posted:

Was playing smash with some guys last night. We had two pro controllers and two people playing with joycon in grip. The two pro controllers and one set of joycon worked fine, but one set of joycon would just disconnect randomally every couple of games and they would have to press L or R to get it back, which was a bit annoying. We swapped those joycon out for another set of joycon and the problem persisted, still just disconnecting every 20mins or so. The joycon were all fully charged and updated. As it was the same player affected could they just be mashing something that is making their controller disconnect? I have noticed this issue before when playing mario kart with my nieces and nephews.

Yes both sets that were disconnecting were launch ones, launch grey set and launch neon set, guess it's too late for Nintendo to do anything about it as they are over a year old.

I was aware of the disconnecting launch joycon issue as I have set back another set previously (that was the set that worked!)

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Circle Nine posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with smash where when its more than 2 characters on screen that you just cannot tell what the gently caress is at all going on? Cause I'm having that issue every match as I play through single player.

No, I've got the same issue as well. It'd be nice if there was an option to turn off various effects (while keeping items) so you can see the fighters more clearly, or have some sort of glowing outline you could customise. I'll just keep struggling through however, as I am having a blast while playing.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a level editor in smash? Or have they said anything about it if not?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Circle Nine posted:

I've been playing smash since it first came out on the 64 and I've had that issue since then

not much to do about it, really. It's why I've always preferred 1v1 :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its extremely dumb that the gameboy power light doesnt go into low battery warning mode when time is almost up on that stage

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I chalked up the awkwardness to not playing the game for a few years, new controller, and the minor tweeks they made. I’ll get used to it but it might take a bit.

Also is the new character unlocks random? Because my selection has been very weirdly placed. Ness, Bayonetta, K.Rule, Sheik and Bowser. A bit all over the place

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 8, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

Also is the new character unlocks random? Because my selection has been very weirdly placed. Ness, Bayonetta, K.Rule, Sheik and Bowser. A bit all over the place

The ones in Classic Mode unlock in a specific order (like X character will always unlock Y character) while the ones you get just from playing are random I'm pretty sure

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inferior Third Season posted:

And a happy katamari. :jewish: :rory:

I’m here to report that Katamari runs fantastically on the few levels I played last night.

It also has two physical control schemes as well as :siren:MOTION CONTROLS:siren:

Also Sega Genesis classics is really good, and at least on Streets of Rage 2, nails the Genesis sound

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Your Computer posted:

The ones in Classic Mode unlock in a specific order (like X character will always unlock Y character) while the ones you get just from playing are random I'm pretty sure

More specifically, it's sort of like a big loop - each character unlocks the next character on the list, unless that character has already been unlocked, in which case they unlock the NEXT next character on the list, and so on. The initial 8 all have different "start" points on that loop. So, I think you can technically unlock everyone by playing through classic mode with the same character 60 or so times, if that's what you want, but you can also target specific characters by choosing certain characters as well.

Edit: Note this only applies to classic mode and does not affect the other ways you can unlock characters. Decided to add a spoiler because I've had people say things about how they don't like to know how unlocks work in games past and I kinda respect that.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 8, 2018

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I didn't play much of Brawl or 3DS/WiiU version, is it new that you can't short hop in this, or has that been a thing for awhile?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a way to quickly turn in place without taking a step in the other direction?
I notice it requires like the tiniest tap of the stick to manage but maybe theres like some weird shield cancel move or something im not aware of

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m here to report that Katamari runs fantastically on the few levels I played last night.

It also has two physical control schemes as well as :siren:MOTION CONTROLS:siren:

Also Sega Genesis classics is really good, and at least on Streets of Rage 2, nails the Genesis sound

I enjoy the feature on the Genesis Collection that drops you into a challenge to complete with a specific win condition (ie finish stage 2 of Streets of Rage 2 without picking up items; kill a boss in Beyond Oasis using just a dagger, and so on).

Overall the whole package is really neat.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 8, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bruteman posted:

I enjoy the feature on the Genesis Collection that drops you into a challenge to complete with a specific win condition (ie finish stage 2 of Streets of Rage two with picking up items; kill a boss in Beyond Oasis using just a dagger, and so on).

So it's kind of like NES Remix, except it also comes with the original games? This sounds awesome

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Mak0rz posted:

So it's kind of like NES Remix, except it also comes with the original games? This sounds awesome

I've never played NES Remix, but after looking it up, yes, it's as you describe. The Genesis collection has all of the original games; there's a "feats" (ie achievements) feature that shows you when you achieve certain things in specific games or across the whole collection; and then there's the challenges, which are essentially loading up a save state for a specific portion of a game in the collection with a win criteria, and if you fail you can restart it, etc.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
NES Remix Ultimate on switch when

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

Nope. Super bummed. And also mad that I am 36 and mad my video game didn’t come on time.

It’s not necessarily about a video game, someone made a commitment and failed (by a pretty big margin) to deliver. That’s frustrating in any context, partly the inconvenience and partly the lack of control. So don’t feel bad about feeling bad!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Eeyo posted:

It’s not necessarily about a video game, someone made a commitment and failed (by a pretty big margin) to deliver. That’s frustrating in any context, partly the inconvenience and partly the lack of control. So don’t feel bad about feeling bad!

Haha. Thanks! Now they say delivered today and gave me a 10 buck credit? So that’s cool I guess.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to calibrate the motion controls? We can't get it to stop rolling backwards. We've tried completely turning off the joycons and reconnecting while they were laid flat on a table, and it still did it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

Is there a way to calibrate the motion controls? We can't get it to stop rolling backwards. We've tried completely turning off the joycons and reconnecting while they were laid flat on a table, and it still did it.

There is some auto-calibration option in the controller option menu. Settings -> controllers and sensors -> calibrate motion controls. Maybe update if you haven’t as well?

Sometimes in botw it would drift, but it would stop if I just let it drift for a while. Like instead of fighting it, just try letting it go until it stops.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How are the wired pro or hori controllers? Is the wire long enough and the entry port not in a dumb spot?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Can't attest to those pads, but I did receive my SN30 Pro recently and not having had a 3rd party controller since the days of the N64 I'm very impressed with this. It's just a really nice and well made bit of kit, doesn't feel cheap or knockoff at all but is nice and light and portable and the D pad feels great with Hollow Knight.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bruteman posted:

I've never played NES Remix, but after looking it up, yes, it's as you describe. The Genesis collection has all of the original games; there's a "feats" (ie achievements) feature that shows you when you achieve certain things in specific games or across the whole collection; and then there's the challenges, which are essentially loading up a save state for a specific portion of a game in the collection with a win criteria, and if you fail you can restart it, etc.

Damnit,I was trying to save money.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Smash is $50 at Costco instead of $60 for those who haven't purchased yet.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Smash is $50 at Costco instead of $60 for those who haven't purchased yet.

Just checked their site for Canada, and here they have it as $78.99 instead of $79.99. What a savings!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What's the consensus on Everspace. Comes to switch next week?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Harlock posted:

What's the consensus on Everspace. Comes to switch next week?

Yep, comes to Switch next week.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey so, I bought a Nintendo Switch yesterday! Or I should say, I was gifted one by a very nice friend.

I think I found a pretty good deal... I always go to this small local chain store way up in the northeastern-most part of the northeast called Bull Moose and they are pretty fantastic at pricing things cheaply. For example, I bought the Switch bundle that comes with the code for Mario Kart for $299 plus tax - pretty darn good deal, I think? I probably would have only paid like $30 or $40 more at Gamestop, but a free copy of Mario Kart is great; I'd prefer to have gotten the Smash Bros. bundle but it wasn't in stock, and both games are sort of MUST BUYS when you buy a new Nintendo console... Unless you live completely alone and don't have friends, maybe?

Anyway! I am super-psyched about my purchase; the only other game I've purchased so far is Breath of the Wild, which in my eyes is half the reason for getting the console. Been a while since I've been really, truly excited to play a new Zelda game on a console and I am looking forward to getting lost...

I have a question of importance, though! I like FPS games and am actually REALLY looking forward to playing Wolfenstein 2, but I thought I'd be playing it on my 3-year-old desktop-replacement laptop, which is kind of OK but I've been getting burned out playing shooters on a 15-inch screen.

So right now Wolfenstein 2 is only $30 at the eshop and I think I want to buy it? I was curious if the motion controller really works well? And as an aside I really love accessories and a handheld gun-like accessory - is this cool or a fool's errand? I grew not to like shooters on consoles ONLY because of the precision of a mouse, so if that replicates just a bit of that I will be THRILLED

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I found the gyro aiming in Wolfenstein 2 is good on Switch. I think it’s worth the buy if you’re interested. The port is really good and they recently updated to make it run/look even better.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

kaworu posted:

Hey so, I bought a Nintendo Switch yesterday! Or I should say, I was gifted one by a very nice friend.

I think I found a pretty good deal... I always go to this small local chain store way up in the northeastern-most part of the northeast called Bull Moose and they are pretty fantastic at pricing things cheaply. For example, I bought the Switch bundle that comes with the code for Mario Kart for $299 plus tax - pretty darn good deal, I think? I probably would have only paid like $30 or $40 more at Gamestop, but a free copy of Mario Kart is great; I'd prefer to have gotten the Smash Bros. bundle but it wasn't in stock, and both games are sort of MUST BUYS when you buy a new Nintendo console... Unless you live completely alone and don't have friends, maybe?

Anyway! I am super-psyched about my purchase; the only other game I've purchased so far is Breath of the Wild, which in my eyes is half the reason for getting the console. Been a while since I've been really, truly excited to play a new Zelda game on a console and I am looking forward to getting lost...

I have a question of importance, though! I like FPS games and am actually REALLY looking forward to playing Wolfenstein 2, but I thought I'd be playing it on my 3-year-old desktop-replacement laptop, which is kind of OK but I've been getting burned out playing shooters on a 15-inch screen.

So right now Wolfenstein 2 is only $30 at the eshop and I think I want to buy it? I was curious if the motion controller really works well? And as an aside I really love accessories and a handheld gun-like accessory - is this cool or a fool's errand? I grew not to like shooters on consoles ONLY because of the precision of a mouse, so if that replicates just a bit of that I will be THRILLED

FPS games are a little tough in handheld mode ~for me~ because of the weird placement of the right analog stick. I've beaten both Doom and Wolf 2 on PC (USING A CONTROLLER :twisted:) and I had no problem there but on the Switch, I find myself not being able to turn so smoothly because of the way I grip the Switch. Tabletop mode is a little easier because you can slot the Joycons into the cradle thing but a Pro controller is easiest for me. Then again I don't take full advantage of the motion aiming. Oh I haven't tried Wolf 2 on the Switch yet, btw. Also, are you looking for a more story oriented game or mostly shooting. Wolf 2 is def more story oriented because there's downtime between missions and some stealth gameplay whereas the only downtime in Doom is going back through an area that you've cleared of demons and there's only a few spots where you're locked in a small area with the antagonist monologue-ing at you. They're both good but I think I'd place Doom slightly above Wolf 2. They need to port Wolfenstein The New Order and Old Blood to the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Switch versions of Doom & Wolfenstein will be pretty close to what a desktop type laptop could do and gyro aiming is 10x easier portable than finding space for a mouse imo.