Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Same poo poo happened at my college once. They had a psychic event cancelled due to bad weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rodbeard posted:

Same poo poo happened at my college once. They had a psychic event cancelled due to bad weather.

As the veteran of a thousand psychic wars, let me tell you that you're lucky that's all the backlash you got.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:nms: During an extreme bout of coughing, the patient spontaneously expectorated an intact cast of the right bronchial tree. :nms:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Well then...:suicide:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Me Everyone playing Grand Theft Auto.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I, uh, hm

as my great-aunt loved to say, "better out than in," I guess

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
https://twitter.com/TelegraphTech/status/1071003890525634560?s=19

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

That must have been such a relief.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Am I reading it right that basically that was a giant blood clot?

That is absolutely horrifying by the way.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

I, uh, hm

as my great-aunt loved to say, "better out than in," I guess

Your great aunt is shrek?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nottherealaborn posted:

Your great aunt is shrek?

small-town southeast Texas can be charitably described as a swamp, so yes

does Shrek live in a swamp, I've never seen it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yes, yes he does.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's... rather a core character trait and plot point

How does your great aunt feel about onions?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That must have been such a relief.

That was my first thought. Then as I read on it seemed that he was probably not in the position to feel a lot of relief. At least not for long.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the forty arrows pointed at the blood tree, so you don't accidentally miss it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Bloop posted:

How does your great aunt feel about onions?

I'm starting to get the feeling my 23 and Me results are gonna be a wild ride

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm starting to get the feeling my 23 and Me results are gonna be a wild ride

A couple folks in lab coats are gonna knock on your front door one day and toss a net over you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Did somebody once tell you the world was gonna roll you?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I'm the forty arrows pointed at the blood tree, so you don't accidentally miss it.

the less welcome cousin of the giving tree

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Just aside but: those would be explained in the caption. Like the blue arrows are some part of the bronchial tree and the black arrows are some other part etc.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:magical::stonk::stonklol::stonkhat::distonk:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

Hotel staff created a "horrifying" effigy of a couple's dead son in a misguided attempt at a tribute.

Karen Baker had arranged for workers at a Jamaican resort to dress a room for friends Faye and Andrew Stephens, whose son Alex died in 2014.
Instead, she was left "sweating and shaking" when met by the sight of a body made out of clothes lying on the hotel bed.
TUI UK refunded the family for the "misunderstanding".

The Stephens, from Willesden, north-west London, have made an annual tradition of celebrating their son's birthday since his death, aged 22, in 2014.
'Utterly horrified' His godmother Ms Baker, from Hertfordshire, who was also on the trip, tipped two members of staff at the Royalton Jamaica Resort to secretly adorn the couple's bedroom with balloons and a cake.

Instead, they created the effigy, replete with tears on its face and a can of lager clutched in its hand, next to petals spelling out "We miss you Alex".
Mrs Baker, who first discovered the effigy, said she was "utterly horrified" and removed the dummy before her friends saw it.
"When I walked into the bedroom, all I can describe is a dummy body on the bed," she said.
"Staff had gone through my friend's wardrobe and stuffed the clothes with towels to make it look like a body on the bed. They even put tears down the face and a can of lager in his hand.

"I was absolutely horrified - as you can imagine I was sweating and shaking. We just didn't want our friends to see it.
"I have truly never seen anything like it. I still look at the photographs now and can't believe somebody thought to do that", she said.

A TUI UK spokesperson said: "We offer our sincere apologies to the Baker party for their holiday experience in Jamaica.

"We're following up with the hotel and believe it was a misunderstanding with no intention to cause upset."
The family received a full refund of £1,300 per person for the five-star holiday after raising the issue on BBC Three Counties' JVS show.

I mean how?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao

If it was Indonesia, I'd refer to this (disregard lovely clickbait title/music, I couldn't find a better video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky_QPiPjQdg

But I think Jamaicans probably know that Brits don't like to see their dead sons incarnated (infabricated?), so I'm guessing the staff were having a laugh.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Dec 7, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess in some remote way I can understand something getting lost in translation -- "I want you to make this special for them because this is an annual tradition, they lost their son years back but they want it to be a joyful occasion rather than mourning..." And... ... ... Yeah I'm still not really sure.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

I guess in some remote way I can understand something getting lost in translation -- "I want you to make this special for them because this is an annual tradition, they lost their son years back but they want it to be a joyful occasion rather than mourning..." And... ... ... Yeah I'm still not really sure.
I mean, they put a big smile on his face, how much more joyous do you people want!?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That does make me wonder what they get up to when it comes to mourning in Jamaica.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That does make me wonder what they get up to when it comes to mourning in Jamaica.

I'm guessing they don't throw their dead birthday parties every year. These folks were doing something weird, and the staff misunderstood the exact degree of weirdness the guests wanted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Police: Deer shot illegally jumps out of pickup truck bed near Albany

quote:

BERNE, N.Y. (AP) -- Authorities say two men hunting illegally in a rural upstate New York town got a big surprise when the deer they had just shot jumped out of the back of their pickup truck.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What is illegal about jumping out of a pickup bed?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Deer should've been wearing its seatbelt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gently caress, if I got shot, I'd jump outta the truck too.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
4-Year-Old Accidentally Addresses Santa Letter To Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyaPwyGD9P4

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

What is illegal about jumping out of a pickup bed?

Unless you're in a third world country or Hawaii you're not supposed to ride in the truck bed. I assume that law applies equally to deer and people.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Unless you're in a third world country or Hawaii you're not supposed to ride in the truck bed. I assume that law applies equally to deer and people.

In Wisconsin you can ride in truck beds under a certain speed limit and not on the highway. I guess I assumed other states are similar

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Volcott posted:

4-Year-Old Accidentally Addresses Santa Letter To Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyaPwyGD9P4

Thanks for 666 years of darkness, jerko!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Jamaica is the country that gave us the word Voodoo. Am I the only one to remember that? If you wonder how they celebrate the dead, you can probably guess - it's weird enough to have documentaries made in National Geographic.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jamaica did not give us the word Voodoo, but I suppose Obeah is similar to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nottherealaborn posted:

In Wisconsin you can ride in truck beds under a certain speed limit and not on the highway. I guess I assumed other states are similar

Huh, I thought it was illegal everywhere in the US since no matter where I lived no one I knew did that.

I moved to Hawaii recently and the fact that you can not only ride in the bed but can ride on the highway was super weird but as this

Shows, Hawaii is super weird in general.