Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
gently caress me...anyone have experiences getting a Google Voice number ported to Google Fi?

As someone with no real knowledge of telecommunications, it seems like it should be easy...Google "owns" by GV number, so why is it so drat hard to port to another service that Google "owns"?

I started the port last Tuesday, the 27th...come Monday, still hadn't completed so I called Fi support. On the phone for a bit than it escalated. On Tuesday morning I had an email that said to cancel the port, then try again. I did that Tuesday morning, and in the same spot now. I sent two more emails to the support tech, one on Thursday and one today, no response.

I have data, so I can text as long as it's through Hangouts, but I can't make or receive calls at all, not even if I'm on wifi. And if I try to text through Messaging, it fails.

Edit: V V V Thanks, didn't know we had one. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress me...anyone have experiences getting a Google Voice number ported to Google Fi?

As someone with no real knowledge of telecommunications, it seems like it should be easy...Google "owns" by GV number, so why is it so drat hard to port to another service that Google "owns"?

I started the port last Tuesday, the 27th...come Monday, still hadn't completed so I called Fi support. On the phone for a bit than it escalated. On Tuesday morning I had an email that said to cancel the port, then try again. I did that Tuesday morning, and in the same spot now. I sent two more emails to the support tech, one on Thursday and one today, no response.

I have data, so I can text as long as it's through Hangouts, but I can't make or receive calls at all, not even if I'm on wifi. And if I try to text through Messaging, it fails.

You would likely get better results in the Fi thread.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FogHelmut posted:

Hey, very few scratches on here!

I remember it being extremely washed out and dull, while somehow also oversaturated. I think the OG Moto X had the same screen, but it was a revelation on how clear and bright it was.

With my old Nexus S I was always confused about the screen sharpness complaints and praise of black levels because mine looked like a pretty decent but not spectacular LCD. Turns out mine was an LCD version (i9023) which was an export model.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
my phone progression went HTC desire (2010), HTC one X (2012), nexus 5 (2014), sony xperia Z2 (2014), nexus 6P (2016), pixel 2 XL (early 2018). i think besides the fact that the one X's screen shattered in my pocket it was my favourite of them physically. if they were to chuck a 6" screen in that same body with current hardware and got rid of the giant camera bump i'd buy it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Did your try to snap any with some digital zoom to let the super res stuff so it's magic?

Google is pretty committed to a single rear camera, you are likely to see a higher MP count with more computational photography than a secondary zoom lens.

Yeah I did, wasn't very impressed.

Anyone tried one of those Moment lens thingies?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Anyone tried one of those Moment lens thingies?

I just ordered one (their new 58mm) for my P3XL. I'll post in this thread when I've had a chance to test it out. I'm pretty amatuer though so my photography opinions may not be all that valuable.

I'm in a similar position to your photo: I do a lot of hiking, so often take pictures of landscapes or vistas. At the same time I'm not serious enough about my photography to justify buying and hauling around a nicer camera. Hopefully the lense will fill that gap a bit.

To be honest I also just kind of wanted a new toy, since I already talked myself out of buying a DSLR.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

I just ordered one (their new 58mm) for my P3XL. I'll post in this thread when I've had a chance to test it out. I'm pretty amatuer though so my photography opinions may not be all that valuable.

I'm in a similar position to your photo: I do a lot of hiking, so often take pictures of landscapes or vistas. At the same time I'm not serious enough about my photography to justify buying and hauling around a nicer camera. Hopefully the lense will fill that gap a bit.

To be honest I also just kind of wanted a new toy, since I already talked myself out of buying a DSLR.

I'm super curious how you like that too, so please report back! I use my DSLR for hiking, long exposures, portraits, etc, but I love the ideal of how portable the Moment lens thing would be.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

my phone progression went HTC desire (2010), HTC one X (2012), nexus 5 (2014), sony xperia Z2 (2014), nexus 6P (2016), pixel 2 XL (early 2018). i think besides the fact that the one X's screen shattered in my pocket it was my favourite of them physically. if they were to chuck a 6" screen in that same body with current hardware and got rid of the giant camera bump i'd buy it

I've had probably 50 or so phones since 2009 because I am a dumb nerd who always had to have something new and I worked in sales. It was a great change recently when I was able to keep a couple phones for over 6 months at a time. Hotsauce might also share that sentiment.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
nexus 5 <3 <3 <3

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if I've had a favorite phone. I liked my OG Droid even though I never really used the physical keyboard. It still seemed really cool. Like a cool deck I could whip out to hack into the mainframe or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nerve posted:

nexus 5 <3 <3 <3

I regret not buying the red Nexus 5. That phone looked cool in photos. I really had to talk myself out of impulse buying it.

I also regret not buying that recent (red) iPhone.

What I'm saying is my Pixel 2 is by far my favorite phone that I've owned, but I bet I would love it 100% more if it were bright red.

And 10% more if it had an audio jack...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My first Android phone was an HTC Inspire and I talked myself into liking it because I was being obstinate about Apple (folly of youth), but it was a complete piece of poo poo. I saw a screenshot of one the other day and had a visceral reaction to that unlock ring you had to pull up.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually kind of liked the "texture" of the Galaxy Nexus' screen. There's apps that purport to save battery life on OLED screens by shutting off a grid of pixels on the screen that bring the effect back.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

asecondduck posted:

I actually kind of liked the "texture" of the Galaxy Nexus' screen. There's apps that purport to save battery life on OLED screens by shutting off a grid of pixels on the screen that bring the effect back.

Lol do they just overlay a grid of black lines?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RZA Encryption posted:

Lol do they just overlay a grid of black lines?

They do exactly that.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Welp my 2 month old P3XL phone is dead. It's like the power shorts out or something. Does anyone know how long the RMA process generally takes realistically? (not their lovely marketing estimate)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

Welp my 2 month old P3XL phone is dead. It's like the power shorts out or something. Does anyone know how long the RMA process generally takes realistically? (not their lovely marketing estimate)

Pretty sure they'll cross ship with 1 or 2 day shipping, maybe say it's super urgent because you don't have a back up phone and they'll do 1 day

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

nerve posted:

nexus 5 <3 <3 <3

i broke mine literally the day i brought it home which is why i bought 2 phones in 2014 :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Z3 Compact was my favorite. Perfect size, was always butter, no glitchiness. Sony had a nice UI and overall experience. Their lackluster standing in the market is as unfair as Apple's dominance. The original LG nexus was pretty nice too, I'd take either of those phones back with modern guts and cameras. The Pixel 2 suffered from cosmetically being an iphone 4 in 2017.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

codo27 posted:

Z3 Compact was my favorite. Perfect size, was always butter, no glitchiness. Sony had a nice UI and overall experience. Their lackluster standing in the market is as unfair as Apple's dominance. The original LG nexus was pretty nice too, I'd take either of those phones back with modern guts and cameras. The Pixel 2 suffered from cosmetically being an iphone 4 in 2017.

did you forget what an iphone 4 felt and looked like because i have one in my drawer and uhh

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay, maybe the 5, either way that bezel was just gross.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

OG Moto X was the poo poo. Best overall phone I ever had.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I loved my Xperia ZL which I broke by letting it go for a swim in the toilet.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

codo27 posted:

Okay, maybe the 5, either way that bezel was just gross.

The Pixel 2 is like literally the same size as an iPhone 6S, made switching incredibly easy size wise

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

codo27 posted:

Z3 Compact was such a great phone, especially with the Concept ROM. Basically Android One 4 years early, I got security patches within about 3 weeks of Google's patches. Also had the best keyboard of any smartphone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Night Sight is absurd. Like, it's a actual magic. I'll try and post examples later. But it's surreal, it looks like daytime

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The past couple of days - I want to say since the December patch, but I couldn't be certain - I've noticed that both the wifi and mobile-data icons are shown in the notification bar, whereas before it was one or the other depending on which was connected.

I know that the mobile-data radio is kept active in the background to speed up wifi->data handover, which is fine, but wifi is shown as connected and at full strength in Settings. Any idea what's going on? Pixel 2.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

The past couple of days - I want to say since the December patch, but I couldn't be certain - I've noticed that both the wifi and mobile-data icons are shown in the notification bar, whereas before it was one or the other depending on which was connected.

I know that the mobile-data radio is kept active in the background to speed up wifi->data handover, which is fine, but wifi is shown as connected and at full strength in Settings. Any idea what's going on? Pixel 2.

I don't think you're right. I think when connected to wifi, it always showed the signal strength but omitted the connection type (LTE, H+, etc). Here's a picture from Ron Amadeo's review of Android Pie right when it came out:

I want to say the behavior dates to Nougat or around then because I remember the close up of how the wifi and mobile connections overlap bothering me.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I should have taken a screenshot. Here's a quick glance from inside Gmail:

I could have sworn the '4G' icon wasn't there when wifi was connected until recently, is all. Both signal bars, yes, but not the network type.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

I could have sworn the '4G' icon wasn't there when wifi was connected until recently, is all. Both signal bars, yes, but not the network type.

You're right, that's not normal and not the behavior I'm seeing right now on the December patch on my Pixel XL. Do you have internet connectivity on your wifi? That's usually how it looks when you're connected to a wifi network without broader internet connectivity.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Night Sight is absurd. Like, it's a actual magic. I'll try and post examples later. But it's surreal, it looks like daytime

I used to be super skeptical of poo poo like AI, because it was always science fiction or not really "AI", but this night sight stuff is making me a believer.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

You're right, that's not normal and not the behavior I'm seeing right now on the December patch on my Pixel XL. Do you have internet connectivity on your wifi? That's usually how it looks when you're connected to a wifi network without broader internet connectivity.

When wifi doesn't have internet connectivity, the wifi icon is empty and has a little X on it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have the same thing on my G5+. I guess somebody at Google just thought "time to change stuff".

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
So much for my S9's pristine screen. It's developed a half dozen tiny scratches towards the top despite my being very careful to only ever put it in a pocket with nothing else in it. I thought the loving thing was supposed to be immune from scratches from keys etc

I had a screen protector on it but it developed bubbles after a few days because getting it to adhere to the dumbass curved screen seems to require an engineering degree. The same curved screen which makes every bright image appear to dim unpleasantly at the edge.

So gently caress curved screens, basically. They do nothing, look awful and now I have to deal with these scratches until I can afford another phone in five years.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It's probably from sand or dirt. I have a day one S9 with no screen protector and have nothing but a couple non noticeable microscratches on it. I don't think the curved part of it affects that unless it's getting shattered

The only good curved screen protector are the Whitedome ones and they're a little intimidating and kind of expensive but not difficult to install.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

spincube posted:

Are you using a VPN of some sort? If the VPN stops working on my phone, I've noticed that the 4G icon shows up to indicate that I'm now bypassing the wifi/vpn situation and going through the cell signal instead.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

joedevola posted:

So much for my S9's pristine screen. It's developed a half dozen tiny scratches towards the top despite my being very careful to only ever put it in a pocket with nothing else in it. I thought the loving thing was supposed to be immune from scratches from keys etc

I had a screen protector on it but it developed bubbles after a few days because getting it to adhere to the dumbass curved screen seems to require an engineering degree. The same curved screen which makes every bright image appear to dim unpleasantly at the edge.

So gently caress curved screens, basically. They do nothing, look awful and now I have to deal with these scratches until I can afford another phone in five years.

This is why I moved to an LG phone. FLAT SCREEN THANK loving GOD! Protectors are easy to get, full adhesion, perfect.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sneeze Party posted:

Are you using a VPN of some sort? If the VPN stops working on my phone, I've noticed that the 4G icon shows up to indicate that I'm now bypassing the wifi/vpn situation and going through the cell signal instead.

I'm using NetGuard, which acts as a VPN but hoovers up ads, but I've used the thing for aaages without this happening.

...although looking at my installed apps, it looks like there was an update to Google Connectivity Services rolled out two days ago, so maybe there's something going on there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

I have the same thing on my G5+. I guess somebody at Google just thought "time to change stuff".

I don't have that here at all, never have. Wifi on means the data type indicator is off:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pixel 3 XL going back to flat screens was part of the appeal for me.

I took some amazing night sight shots last night too but I feel like I'm posting too many already.