Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tollymain posted:

that was the right moment

unless the reason you died is because you used a previous potion at the wrong moment! there's literally no way to tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its hard to run out of consumables unless you get poo poo floor luck or are deliberately wasting them in most of the roguelikes ive played

consume

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Crawl makes it fairly easy for you to run out of the good stuff. There are never as many Controlled Blink scrolls as you want there to be.

Otherwise, though, "drink the pot" is always the right answer.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Call of Cthulhu (on PS4) what do I need to know about this? I picked it up from the library yesterday so I've only got a week to play it and I'm stuck on stat allocation (like every rpg I play seemingly I mean it's your foundation for the entire game) I didn't even know it was out (or anything about Lovecraft stuff past a super cursory bit) so I have no idea what will or won't be helpful. I love this thread because it filters out all the late game spoilers you run into doing blind google searches.

edit: Mainly my confusion comes from there seem to be a few points already allocated but I don't know if it's a starting guide and you can confirm or change them or those are locked in as a starter and you're adding to them. The one thing says for example that you can only raise medical and occult by finding items in the game but at this initial stat allocation it seems like it will let me dump points into those.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 7, 2018

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Barudak posted:

Skills which give you back AP like "get AP while driving" are basically traps. Its not that they dont generate AP, its that they do it so slowly over the course of a game youll probably at best break even on them, even the ones only costing 32 AP.

The skill group up in Ignis tree and starshot in Prompto are excellent early buys

The cheap additional accessory slot for all the boys is an excellent early buy

Magic is extremely powerful, but you need to invest in the tree so that you draw more at once and when you craft it the results are more powerful. Even without this magic is really potent, this just makes it a touch absurd.

The airstep line of skills for Noctis are invaluable if you plan to make him your main combat boy

Outside of that, beeline whatever looks fun, the game has a lot more ways to generate AP than at launch.

Hey thanks for the tips. I see there is a direct contradiction to one of your recommendations on the wiki, so I am confused.

"-Early on, it's wise to get access to the nodes that build AP "passively". The earlier, the better."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The wiki is probably wrong there. Skills like that are never worth it. Can you remember the last game you played where a skill like that did more than maybe just about pay for itself over the course of the game?

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
I would counter that I got a lot out of fishing AP, granted I did a lot of fishing because I enjoyed it but for situations like that it's worth it, the driving one never felt worth it though

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

The one thing says for example that you can only raise medical and occult by finding items in the game but at this initial stat allocation it seems like it will let me dump points into those.
Bit of a late reply to this, but the thing that says you can only raise it through items you find in the environment is correct. I watched a playthrough by John Wolfe and he continually had problems because he couldn't find those items. If you're able to place points in it at the beginning, exploit it for all it's worth. Everything else I think you can invest at will, but those two skills are at a premium and come up all the time.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Yeah I would also say the driving one is probably not worth it as the points come super slow from that. Fishing will depend on how much you like to fish - I like it because I thought it was fun so it was worth it for me.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Bit of a late reply to this, but the thing that says you can only raise it through items you find in the environment is correct. I watched a playthrough by John Wolfe and he continually had problems because he couldn't find those items. If you're able to place points in it at the beginning, exploit it for all it's worth. Everything else I think you can invest at will, but those two skills are at a premium and come up all the time.

Thanks man. I'll try that for a start. Apparently it just came out in October which would explain why the wiki doesn't have anything for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Thanks man. I'll try that for a start. Apparently it just came out in October which would explain why the wiki doesn't have anything for it.
Yeah, it did. It's also really more of a mystery game that focuses on the adventure aspect of it, less on the RPG angle. There isn't really a lot more than this that you can tell people in advance without spoiling too much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

Hey thanks for the tips. I see there is a direct contradiction to one of your recommendations on the wiki, so I am confused.

"-Early on, it's wise to get access to the nodes that build AP "passively". The earlier, the better."

If you take them early, like the very very first ones, and only the cheap ones that cost 32, you could theoreitcally make the points back and then some especially if you do lots of hunts. If you delay at all or dont plan on doing all the sidequesting like grinding Noctis fishing to 10 youll not see those points back. Driving in paritcular is bad since using the fast travel system means you dont earn any miles driven and youll have visited every where you can fast travel to waaaaaaaaay before you get 32 AP back from the system.

Since the investment is so small and the returns so small my recommendation is its probably better to buy a skill that is immediately useful like regroup rather than something that wont have any payoff for 20 hours if then. If like five hours into the game you decide "heck yeah im doing all the hunts and will tie a rubber band to my controller to get rank 10 in exploration" go ahead and buy them then and youll have had more fun for the first five hours unlike the sap who bought some AP generation. Like seriously using a camp 32 times is quite a few times and using a camp is a slow process; if you need AP later youll need huge gobs of it for skills that cost 999 and theyre are insanely more effecient ways to grind gor the AP you need.

The more expensive ones require absolutely absurd grinding to get the value from and should only be bought id you have literally nothing else to invest in.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 7, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

The more expensive ones require absolutely absurd grinding to get the value from and should only be bought id you have literally nothing else to invest in.
Yeah, I'll second that. Spend the AP on something that would be fun right now instead of making a long-term investment that'll only result in making you wait 50 hours before you can buy the same ability you otherwise would've picked right away.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've taken the tip about getting the AP generating skills out of the wiki page.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The White Dragon posted:

Which is honestly kind of a shame, going out at night being a harrowing nightmare was the coolest part about Dying Light until we figured out it wasn't :(
I still do not understand what game you people are playing. In the original it was not that bad to go out at night once you knew what you were doing, but every single time I tried killing anything at night in The Following I would get swarmed by a dozen of Them! and killed immediately. I know there was something about clearing out Volatile hives lowering their numbers at night, but uh...considering that trying to clear one of those out went even worse than trying to kill one by itself, I have no idea how anyone ever did that. And I am good enough at the game (I think anyway, I was never in danger of dying from anything else and could even kill the mega-freak things in Following fairly easily) that I do not understand how it could even be a "git gud" situation. Yes, I know--git gud

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Are you specifically talking about The Following as in the map, or as in the extended edition of Dying Light? Because I'm getting a fairly strong impression that this is where most of the conflicting reports come from. I've only ever played the base game where Volatiles were loving scary, but I hear they're pretty different.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Hey gang, thanks for the FFXV chat!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Call of Cthulhu seems like it would be better if it gave you ANY feedback on whether or not you passed a skill check. One clue (I felt like I screwed something up and reloaded my save) told me both (seperately) that someone filled a prescription 3 months ago and it told me something like who could afford painkillers but still live here. I don't understand which means I passed the skill check because it feels like anyone would know painkillers are expensive but anyone could read a prescription fill date off a bottle. Unless it's like oh this is a limited edition collectors pill bottle that was only available at this specific place at this specific time.

Sorry for the rant, this is just pretty much first exposure to Lovecraft stuff (outside of watching reanimator, I'm not counting references to Lovecraft stuff) and I feel like this is killing my wanting to learn more.

THIS ISN'T ABOUT CALL OF CTHULHU

In the Fallout 4 Nuka World add on it is possible to get into the Dry Rock Gulch Employee Area BEFORE you turn the power on by climbing the environment starting at that big overturned bottle by the sheriff that gives you the quest to clear out the mines. However, if you go that way you can NOT exit the employee area through the door you're supposed to come through and there are ALOT of ghouls you'll have to fight before you can fast travel out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Call of Cthulhu seems like it would be better if it gave you ANY feedback on whether or not you passed a skill check.
This is a pretty common complaint, so don't feel like you're alone in this. My recommendation? Do a second playthrough with a hacked character with infinite CP, just so you can actually see everything the game has to offer.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sooooooo

Anything for Darksiders 3? I've barely found anything, the internet as a whole seems to ignore that game

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

Sooooooo

Anything for Darksiders 3? I've barely found anything, the internet as a whole seems to ignore that game

I believe it just came up a few pages ago. I could be wrong though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Since it seems a pretty consistant thing in the Smash Bros thread, I'll put it here.

In the single player, LEVEL UP YOUR SPIRITS! Power levels make a big difference, if you're having trouble in a fight, chances are you need to come back with a spirit that counters the stages gimmick, or you need to get more powerful because numbers matter alot!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you specifically talking about The Following as in the map, or as in the extended edition of Dying Light? Because I'm getting a fairly strong impression that this is where most of the conflicting reports come from. I've only ever played the base game where Volatiles were loving scary, but I hear they're pretty different.
Oh you know... I beat the main game before the Following came out, so if they changed Volatiles with the expansion then I would have only ever seen them there, too. Hmm.

And Volatiles are the scariest enemy I have ever encountered in any game and I love it, but by the time I finished the original game I was always confident I could sneak around and take out a few if need be, whereas in the Following I felt like encountering one meant really encountering five, and dying instantly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I still do not understand what game you people are playing. In the original it was not that bad to go out at night once you knew what you were doing, but every single time I tried killing anything at night in The Following I would get swarmed by a dozen of Them! and killed immediately. I know there was something about clearing out Volatile hives lowering their numbers at night, but uh...considering that trying to clear one of those out went even worse than trying to kill one by itself, I have no idea how anyone ever did that. And I am good enough at the game (I think anyway, I was never in danger of dying from anything else and could even kill the mega-freak things in Following fairly easily) that I do not understand how it could even be a "git gud" situation. Yes, I know--git gud

Oh, we never played The Following. I have no idea about anything they added in that expansion. We got through like 90% of the base game but then it almost melted my buddy's GPU so we dropped it forever.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ok just started Monster Hunter X (steam) and have a pretty game-breaking issie where it only re pgnozes a controller while running in big picture mode, but the "screenshot taken" toast will not disappear unless you exit bpm, which disables the controller. Help?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Easy Diff posted:

Ok just started Monster Hunter X (steam) and have a pretty game-breaking issie where it only re pgnozes a controller while running in big picture mode, but the "screenshot taken" toast will not disappear unless you exit bpm, which disables the controller. Help?
Do you mean Monster Hunter World? You should try the Monster Hunter Megethread in Games, there have been reports that a recent patch from the beginning of November causes all kinds of issues with periphery, which might be connected to your problem. If anyone can help you, those guys can.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I do not have an issue with my controller and big picture mode. I am using a Steam Controller though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It seems to be pretty random and seems to depend on your specific system makeup. Some people get incredible input lag and other performance issues, too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Easy Diff posted:

I've heard of that happening with other games. If you're not using the steam controller (such as using an Xbox 360 controller) don't run your gamepad emulation through Steam, just let Windows handle it natively and the game to pull from Windows. That has helped people in the past, though I can't swear to it for MHW.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anything for Rodina?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've recently gotten into the game myself and received a lot of great advice from the megathread for the adjustment period, so here's a few hard-and-fast pieces of advice for Monster Hunter World:

- Don't treat it like Dark Souls, treat it like a rhythm game. The game isn't very fast-paced, careful positioning and aim are far more important than quick reflexes. Locational damage matters in a big way, so know where you want to hit and use an attack with a swing arc that will hit the right area.

- There is effectively no penalty for death. Dying dumps you back in camp with nothing lost. Quests have limited "lives" and if you die that many times, you'll have to restart.

- Explore everything. The zones are big, layered and full of secret nooks and crannies that can and will have resources you need to upgrade your equipment.

- "Investigations" are selected from the trio on the platform in the Tradeyard. To start the Investigation, select it as a quest from the quest board. Investigations are your friend, they will give you money, monster parts and many other rewards in addition to anything you get just from the hunt itself.

- Capturing requires at least two Tranq Bombs and a Trap. If you take a Capture Investigation, you will get these for free from your in-mission equipment box. Try to max out your tracking level by examining monster trails in-mission. At the maximum level, the map icon will show a little skull on the monster icon when it is weak enough to capture. This is important, because killing a monster during a capture mission is an instant fail.

- Try to progress through the story quests quickly, your maximum equipment level is capped by game progress. They're quick and mostly very forgiving. Once you have unlocked the major zones, you can start worrying about optimizing your equipment.

Alright, I think that's the most important parts. Hope it helps.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

also for mhw:
try to capture this big hunt targets, you get more rewards for doing so.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Shame Boy posted:

Since it seems a pretty consistant thing in the Smash Bros thread, I'll put it here.

In the single player, LEVEL UP YOUR SPIRITS! Power levels make a big difference, if you're having trouble in a fight, chances are you need to come back with a spirit that counters the stages gimmick, or you need to get more powerful because numbers matter alot!

Adding on to this, there is a shop in the extras menu that you can use to spend your coins, one thing it stocks is the small snacks for a pittance.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

- Capturing requires at least two Tranq Bombs and a Trap. If you take a Capture Investigation, you will get these for free from your in-mission equipment box.
One thing: after a certain point the game will stop giving you supplies at the camp (and sometimes won't even start you in the camp to begin with), so don't get used to relying on the item chest for free potions/traps/etc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

One thing: after a certain point the game will stop giving you supplies at the camp (and sometimes won't even start you in the camp to begin with), so don't get used to relying on the item chest for free potions/traps/etc.
Thanks for the tip. I haven't progressed to that point yet and I mostly wrote that up based on what advice helped me the most when I was just getting into the game.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Cardiovorax posted:

- Capturing requires at least two Tranq Bombs and a Trap. If you take a Capture Investigation, you will get these for free from your in-mission equipment box. Try to max out your tracking level by examining monster trails in-mission. At the maximum level, the map icon will show a little skull on the monster icon when it is weak enough to capture. This is important, because killing a monster during a capture mission is an instant fail.

There's another tell for when a monster is able to be captured, I think it even happens before the skull shows up maybe. Anyway you may have noticed that monsters will sometimes have shiny red slinger ammo drop off of them in the middle of a fight, like thorn pods, piercing pods, etc. When the thirdsecond one pops off you can capture. They drop when the monster is at 30%, 20%, and then 10% health. They pop off more frequently if your palico has a blunder blade though. Also this might've changed since I haven't played since before summer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Evil Mastermind posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the camp will always give you supplies to capture monsters if you take a capture mission.

...or maybe I'm just thinking of the cool/hot drinks. drat I need to pick up mhw again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Your mom's a cool hot drink.

:j:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Morpheus posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the camp will always give you supplies to capture monsters if you take a capture mission.

...or maybe I'm just thinking of the cool/hot drinks. drat I need to pick up mhw again.

Capture missions will provide you with (some) capture supplies.

Not a bad idea to carry your own and/or the items needed to craft them on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing this isn't something you really need to know (so don't put this in the What Should I Know site page), but something funny I ran into was that if you "over-tranq" a monster (ie spam all your tranqs on it prematurely like a dummy), then there's a limited time where if you manage to hurt it enough and then trap it it'll instantly fall asleep and get captured. Obviously not something you want to rely on.