Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

babypolis posted:

https://twitter.com/MerchantTrusty/status/1071172004374437888

"he was innocent. also she deserved to die and im glad he killed her"

how are these people so loving stupid

jesus christ I hope these people loving rot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:hai:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

jesus christ I hope these people loving rot

The contrast of "he killed one of them" and "innocent man" is amazing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

babypolis posted:

It's because they view killing anyone on the left as a public service and not a crime

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

StuG Jeebus posted:

definitely expect a wave of white terrorism if Trump actually goes down

this will still happen no matter what happens to Trump, good or bad

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

salisbury shake posted:

Around whites
Be prepared to fight!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

The contrast of "he killed one of them" and "innocent man" is amazing.

No different than the "Holocaust didn't happen but we should kill all Jews" cognitive dissonance

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

salisbury shake posted:

It's already happening.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

babypolis posted:

There was a great line in The Believer, an older film about Neo-Nazis, where one nazi got angry at another one for trying to deny the Holocaust "If Hitler didn't actually kill a bunch of Jews, why the hell do we like him?"

It spoke to that same kind of cognitive dissonance

I also have to admit the death penalty for the charlottesville thing is hard for me. Like, unfortunately, opposing the death penalty means opposing it even with guys like him.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

in case anyone in this thread is unaware, iq tests literally need to be continually renormalized bc otherwise ppl get 3 iq pts "smarter" every decade. if u discount a cultural explanation you're forced to conclude that ben franklin was dumber than the average modern american, shakespeare was borderline retarded, and plato and archimedes were braindead.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There was a great line in The Believer, an older film about Neo-Nazis, where one nazi got angry at another one for trying to deny the Holocaust "If Hitler didn't actually kill a bunch of Jews, why the hell do we like him?"

It spoke to that same kind of cognitive dissonance

I also have to admit the death penalty for the charlottesville thing is hard for me. Like, unfortunately, opposing the death penalty means opposing it even with guys like him.

At a certain point some people cross that line and show such a disregard for life that they can't be trusted in society. Putting them in prison for life doesn't help the community and gives for profit prisons another excuse to siphon money.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sazabi posted:

At a certain point some people cross that line and show such a disregard for life that they can't be trusted in society. Putting them in prison for life doesn't help the community and gives for profit prisons another excuse to siphon money.

Not sure I buy into this

Capital punishment is either always unethical or it isnt. If you want to argue there is an ethical place for execution then you are opening a can of worms that will quickly become regressive

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/Sona_Sonara/status/1071467829470334976

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The state shouldn't punish people with death. Nothing hard about that.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sazabi posted:

Nah.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

Chris Cantwell has a ... colorful history :mmmhmm: In Keene, NH there's a group of batshit libertarians or voluntaryists or some poo poo that call themselves the "Free Keene Movement"

A younger, much fatter Chris Cantwell was an active member and iirc this was where he got his taste for public humiliation, but Cantwell started getting too wackadoo even for Free Keene so they kicked him out, and once he got arrested post-Charlottesville they decided they needed to SUPER kick him out

https://freekeene.com/2017/08/16/the-curious-case-of-christopher-cantwell/

even they know he's a ticking time bomb

He was also a really, really, really, really bad failed stand up comedian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Icd0dVBYxU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

my 'i haven't been to any high school rape parties' shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by said shirt

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/willsommer/status/1071266931825696768

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sazabi posted:

If we really wanted to cut off the prison industrial complex's profits a better way might be the end all the racist policies that make black people have disproportionately harsh penalties compared to white people who commit similar or the same crimes or otherwise stop imprisoning people who commit non-violent crimes.

There is so much happening there. And also people who didn't do a thing like that usually don't have to announce it. I'd bet my life on this guy being a rapist or sexual assailant.

edit: There's also that qualifier there at the end of the sentence about rape parties.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Drunkboxer posted:

that pic of him with the cigar is so terrible and I can’t articulate exactly why

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Please :nms: tag this.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He was also a really, really, really, really bad failed stand up comedian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Icd0dVBYxU

Not sayin this guy wasn't bad but he definitely is not the same Chris Cantwell.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not sure I buy into this

Capital punishment is either always unethical or it isnt. If you want to argue there is an ethical place for execution then you are opening a can of worms that will quickly become regressive

Maybe ... maybe we can just sterilize them and surgically mute them or give them all a lobotomy, you know, something more humane.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cantwell’s unfunny fat standup is all about the horror of government overreach. It’s like that tweet about the alt-right comedian dying on stage, but real.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Not sayin this guy wasn't bad but he definitely is not the same Chris Cantwell.

Maybe ... maybe we can just sterilize them and surgically mute them or give them all a lobotomy, you know, something more humane.

I mean, I am a firm believer that all criminality is either due to necessity or illness. If it was due to necessity, the need must be addressed. If it is due to illness, the illness must be addressed. A right-wing domestic terrorist has as much right to psychological and medical treatment as anyone else.

The second we de-humanize them by legitimizing extra-ordinary cruelty towards them, we have essentially ceded the ethical question entirely,

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
lol if you've never stolen anything just because it's fun and exciting

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well yeah they shouldn't be CRUELLY castrated and lobotomized, sure :hmmyes:

e: It is with the utmost kindness and compassion that I pour this gasoline upon Richard Spencer and light him up *sheds a single tear*

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

StuG Jeebus posted:

it's morally correct to shoplift

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

StuG Jeebus posted:

One steals either because they are unable to afford it or because they lack a sense of personal agency and seek to gain it through antisocial behavior

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Where can I steal a sense of personal agency

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

What's with the flesh colored gloves

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I am a firm believer that all criminality is either due to necessity or illness. If it was due to necessity, the need must be addressed. If it is due to illness, the illness must be addressed. A right-wing domestic terrorist has as much right to psychological and medical treatment as anyone else.

The second we de-humanize them by legitimizing extra-ordinary cruelty towards them, we have essentially ceded the ethical question entirely,

I don't advocate for cruel and unusual punishment but I also don't think therapy sessions can cure people of being a loving Nazi. I understand there are a miscellany of complex reasons someone becomes a bigot on that level but when you have whole organizations of people who want you wiped from the face of the Earth it's hard to say "We shouldn't keep them away from everyone we just need to talk to them.". And aside from that there are just some people who can't be reasoned with either in terms of people devoted to white supremacy or people like Jeffery Dahmer. In fact Jeffery Dahmer himself straight up said he belonged in prison and not in society. What do you even do with people like that? Or Ted Bundy, or John Wayne Gacy? Or the numerous unknown serial rapists and pedophiles. We absolutely need prison reform and I don't support the death penalty but there are plenty of people that need to be separated from everyone else.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CPL593H posted:

The scary thing is that the FBI and law enforcement have shown time and time again that they largely don't give a poo poo about white power groups, so there could absolutely be more terrorist attacks from these lunatics.

the fbi says that the proud boys aren't an extremist group

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Have any "right-wing gamers" actually addressed his point and said "I'm conservative, but I like and respect him"? Or are they all blasting right passed it to fall over themselves to say "WELL I DON'T HAVE TO BE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!"?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StuG Jeebus posted:

:hmmyes:

You have to stretch out the meaning of "illness" to crazy extremes to make that idea work. Donald Trump commits crimes because he's a stupid selfish rear end in a top hat. If you turn "stupid selfish rear end in a top hat" into a medical condition then it's likely that a majority of the population needs psychological reconditioning of some kind.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Norton the First posted:

You have to stretch out the meaning of "ill If you turn "stupid selfish rear end in a top hat" into a medical condition then it's likely that a majority of the population needs psychological reconditioning of some kind.

Sociopathy is a medical condition

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

CPL593H posted:

I don't advocate for cruel and unusual punishment but I also don't think therapy sessions can cure people of being a loving Nazi. I understand there are a miscellany of complex reasons someone becomes a bigot on that level but when you have whole organizations of people who want you wiped from the face of the Earth it's hard to say "We shouldn't keep them away from everyone we just need to talk to them.". And aside from that there are just some people who can't be reasoned with either in terms of people devoted to white supremacy or people like Jeffery Dahmer. In fact Jeffery Dahmer himself straight up said he belonged in prison and not in society. What do you even do with people like that? Or Ted Bundy, or John Wayne Gacy? Or the numerous unknown serial rapists and pedophiles. We absolutely need prison reform and I don't support the death penalty but there are plenty of people that need to be separated from everyone else.

nah, some neonazis can be rehabilitated, it's less like regular therapy and more like cult deprogramming and having them exposed to the real human beings of the groups they hate. a number of examples of ex-klan who now try to help fight hate groups.

that said idk if that applies to ones who've murdered in cold blood and im not inclined to go bleeding heart for those types

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that said idk if that applies to ones who've murdered in cold blood and im not inclined to go bleeding heart for those types

The merit of sympathy only goes as far as ones openness to it

If we sympathize only with those we feel personally comfortable with, we are not inducing radical change in the system but simply pushing for a reshuffling of the deck

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I don't advocate for cruel and unusual punishment but I also don't think therapy sessions can cure people of being a loving Nazi.

oh ye of little faith- deprogramming is exactly this, and it'd be more effective if, as a society at large, we didn't treat personally-held genocidal opinions as sacrosanct

there are loads and loads of people who got out of far right death cults- but they don't tend to stick around in the places where the other Nazis remain

I will say that they're more intractable than liberals, and that it's tactically easier to shut them up rather than attempt to rehabilitate them- but gently caress if you earnestly want the return of the gulag, take some internet poison antidote and maybe look into why the USSR stopped using them (they're cruel and don't work, based on extremely outmoded theories of psychology)

idk I'm not real stoked at the idea of choosing to condone one brand of institutionalized murder over another- on the other hand, the ruling class could stand to be more afraid of us. But even on that point it turns out all we gotta do is yell at them when they try to eat a meal in public because they're soft and insecure as all hell

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sociopathy is a medical condition

While I grant that I chose a lousy example, you're still medicalizing all the other stupid selfish assholes who commit crimes, and you're doing so on an arbitrary, ideological basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I was about to enjoy a late breakfast, you bastard.