Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Endless rewatches of The Last Dragon and Godzilla '84 completely dominate my memories of ages 8-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think I said it somewhere earlier in the thread, but there's no other movie like Last Dragon. It's amazing in every way.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think I said it somewhere earlier in the thread, but there's no other movie like Last Dragon. It's amazing in every way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maniac is goddamn brilliant and entertaining as hell

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
:yeah:

I really liked it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve only watched one episode but the last O.G. Is good so far.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

old.flv posted:

you'll probably like it then

It's based on a philip k dick story, if you know what that means.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

precision posted:

Maniac is goddamn brilliant and entertaining as hell

It's worth watching for Justin Theroux alone. One of my new favorite TV characters.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This isn't exactly a recommendation but YouTube just recommended me some full movies officially uploaded by YouTube you can watch with ads, but with an adblocker they're effectively just free old mainstream movies. Its mostly garbage I think, but there's a couple borderline decent things to watch if you're really high like Bio Dome, Throw Momma From the Train, and some documentaries from the early 2000s

I'm also wondering if people liked Preacher, I enjoyed the comics and am surprised to see the show is good thus far

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Frog Act posted:

I'm also wondering if people liked Preacher, I enjoyed the comics and am surprised to see the show is good thus far
I just started it last week. So far it seems a bit schlocky but not nearly as much as say Ash vs Evil Dead. I don’t know what to think yet because the main character doesn’t know what’s going on so I’m not sure the show has really “started” yet.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

It's based on a philip k dick story, if you know what that means.

It is? It definitely feels like a PKD story. Which one?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Happy! Is great, Christopher Meloni really has a gift for physical comedy. He surprised me in Wet Hot since I was so used to him in his roles on Oz and SVU.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

a sexual elk posted:

Happy! Is great, Christopher Meloni really has a gift for physical comedy. He surprised me in Wet Hot since I was so used to him in his roles on Oz and SVU.

Its next on my list of shows to watch because of how awesome he is as Chris Keller in Oz. It’s my favorite role of his and really made me appreciate him as an interesting actor where Law and Order was limited by bad writing, though I know many people dislike Oz too

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a sexual elk posted:

He has a great guest spot as a pediatrician in an episode of Scrubs, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been binging The Last OG today and this show is great. You guys need to check it out. It's hilarious and the characters and story are actually really good. For anyone unfamiliar with it, Tracy Morgan gets out of prison after 15 years and returns to Brooklyn, just to find modern day hipster brooklyn and assimilate himself into life there. The humor is actually less cheap than it sounds like it would be for the premise, The show is pretty endearing, but it's also really loving funny. I'm surprised I'd never heard of this show until it popped up in my feed.

I've never been a fan of Cedric the Entertainer in the past, but between First Reformed and Last OG, I think I'm starting to really like him. He's the funniest character on the show.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Counterpoint: Tracy Morgan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Robot Wendigo posted:

It is? It definitely feels like a PKD story. Which one?

”Second Variety”, one of his early short stories.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah it was surprisingly good for me. Meloni does comedy very well

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

precision posted:

Yeah it was surprisingly good for me. Meloni does comedy very well

He was hilarious in Wonder Showzen

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Frog Act posted:

This isn't exactly a recommendation but YouTube just recommended me some full movies officially uploaded by YouTube you can watch with ads, but with an adblocker they're effectively just free old mainstream movies. Its mostly garbage I think, but there's a couple borderline decent things to watch if you're really high like Bio Dome, Throw Momma From the Train, and some documentaries from the early 2000s

Is there a playlist or anything that you can browse what is available to watch for these?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sand Monster posted:

Is there a playlist or anything that you can browse what is available to watch for these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=movies

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

That link didn't work for me.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

That link didn't work for me.

hmm

https://www.youtube.com/movies?list_id=PLHPTxTxtC0ibVZrT2_WKWUl2SAxsKuKwx

does this work? I tried pasting it without the automatic youtube tags

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

hmm

https://www.youtube.com/movies?list_id=PLHPTxTxtC0ibVZrT2_WKWUl2SAxsKuKwx

does this work? I tried pasting it without the automatic youtube tags

Yes it does! Good work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, as a heads up, this thread is now 500+ pages at 3 years old. We'll start up a new Streaming Thread in January 2019 with an up-to-date OP and stuff.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Frog Act posted:

I’ve watched the first two seasons.

It departs significantly from the comics almost right away; it incorporates a lot of the same ideas, humor, and character templates, but virtually everything is given a new treatment. It’s a “reimagining,” I guess. This doesn’t bother me at all (I really loved the comics when I was younger) but some people really don’t like that kind of thing.

The first season was really good. The second season flubs around some in the middle, but everything to do with Starr is great. I am willing to watch the third season but I am not as excited about it as I was after the first.

E: like a ton of stuff, I think the second season got slower and worse because it was 13 episodes unlike the 1st season’s 10.

Anyway I would give the 1st season like a solid A and the 2nd a B-.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 10, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The third season of Preacher picks way back up and is better than 1 imo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So far season 1 of Preacher has been a pleasant surprise - honestly, I've been really disappointed by all the prestigey scripted dramas over the past few years, so I really expected it to be bad. I most recently attempted to watch The Man in the High Castle but even setting aside the abuse of the source material, I couldn't stand how bad and tropey it all was (the super badass obergruppenfuhrer really rankled me), and probably most of all, it felt like the writers hadn't done any real research into WW2 resistance in occupied countries. It just felt like such a wasted opportunity.

also, I've been rewatching Oz, and honestly I think its my one of my favorites of all the scripted adult dramas from the past 25 years, and not just for its status as the first of these sort of prestige tv shows. once I stopped approaching it as a coherent, plausible prison narrative and started looking at it as a sort of stage play being used as a vehicle for discussing the carceral state I fell for it all over again despite its sporadically questionable writing

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 11, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Does anyone else think the main actress in Pine Gap kinda looks like an Australian Jennifer Carpenter?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah Man in the High Castle feels like such a neat idea that's hosed over by nobody having done their homework (and also by focusing on the most boring poo poo possible chasing those prestige tv accolades).

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I haven't seen it mentioned here recently but i had a reason to go to my local library last week so i end up getting a card, and i was able to sign up to Hoopla. They have a pretty decent selection of movies including almost all of the A24 films. They also have Mandy. I haven't actually watched anything yet but hey, it's mad free!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned here recently but i had a reason to go to my local library last week so i end up getting a card, and i was able to sign up to Hoopla. They have a pretty decent selection of movies including almost all of the A24 films. They also have Mandy. I haven't actually watched anything yet but hey, it's mad free!

I'm a librarian, so I rave about Hoopla whenever I can. It's fantastic. I'm a big comic reader, and I've probably read thousands of dollars worth of graphic novels on Hoopla over the last three years. It also allowed me to see The Long Goodbye for the first time, which quickly became one of my favorite '70s movies. The 1986 Transformers: The Movie (the only good Transformers movie, and a touchstone of my childhood) is on there too.

The only problem is that every library system has its own limited number of Hoopla checkouts per month, so be aware of that. My system only allows four checkouts per month, whether it's a graphic novel or a single comic book issue, an e-book, an album, a movie, or a single episode of a TV series.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The other thing with Hoopla is my library has a cap on the overall library-wide number of checkouts that resets daily. I’ve been SOL late at night and had to come back the next morning. Other than that and the monthly limit it’s awesome. Make use of the favorites feature.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is Prime Video now streaming 5.1 audio to the PC? I'm currently watching the newest Indiana Jones (sue me, I'm bored) and Dolby Atmos kicked in.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Franchescanado posted:

Also, as a heads up, this thread is now 500+ pages at 3 years old. We'll start up a new Streaming Thread in January 2019 with an up-to-date OP and stuff.
Since I'm in the current OP I feel responsible for adding something to the new OP, so I'd suggest adding a link to JustWatch which is the best website I've found for figuring out what is streaming on what services in what country (especially now that I live in India, so a lot of the other ways of checking don't work for me).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm glad there's new Neo Yokio, hope they get another season

it was always just okay, but "okay" is better than like...a myriad of other shows that didn't get the same kneejerk hate (was it mostly from anime fans I dunno). If the American Office can get like, 18 seasons or w/e the gently caress then why not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1oZ58Y_FA

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm glad there's new Neo Yokio, hope they get another season

it was always just okay, but "okay" is better than like...a myriad of other shows that didn't get the same kneejerk hate (was it mostly from anime fans I dunno). If the American Office can get like, 18 seasons or w/e the gently caress then why not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1oZ58Y_FA

that clip alone is loving awesome

mystes
May 31, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

The other thing with Hoopla is my library has a cap on the overall library-wide number of checkouts that resets daily. I’ve been SOL late at night and had to come back the next morning. Other than that and the monthly limit it’s awesome. Make use of the favorites feature.
That's really weird. I thought the whole point of Hoopla was that there was just a monthly limit per account. I guess libraries have tons of dormant accounts so the subscription tiers for the library must be based on daily usage rather than the total number of users though?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Neo Yokio sucks and everyone should watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm finally watching Apostle, already better than The Raid 2 (great trailer, eh sequel), but I gotta say getting to the Peking scene it was hard not to be split between OH GOD NO and poo poo YEAH GET THOSE WHITE GHOST DEVILS

tweet my meat posted:

Neo Yokio sucks and everyone should watch it
it's like an okay comedy anime that actually has some black characters in it that aren't totally terrible (since there's no Japanese involvement outside of the animation if I remember right)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 12, 2018