Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I could totally see V taking himself seriously but with Nero being super whatever because he’s like a Millenial demon hunter anyway so he gets that you need to find your identity in the craziness, but Dante is so far past giving a poo poo I expect him to make full bore Dungeons & Dragons jokes and call V a “Master Wizard” and just kinda poo poo all over him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

In the trailer Griffon sarcastically calls V Shakespeare, so I can only assume he will constantly sass him for being too serious and quoting Blake.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Renoistic posted:

DMC4's combat is really good but I don't like anything else about its gameplay. The glowing hook points, the spinning tops, finding a way through the castle, the dice, the appearing/disappearing walkway in the forest, the lasers... They're all bad which is why I prefer the Dante sections even if I prefer playing as Nero, since he has way less of all that. Oh and the Savior is bull.

Here's hoping DMCV does away with all that nonsense.

yeah this is precisely my problem with the series in that the "puzzle" stuff is not what I came for, and neither are the janky platforming sections, alongside bad camera angles in those goddamn castle corridors. It's why DMCV looks like they learned all the right lessons from DmC with free form view and an emphasis on big fight spaces.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I am totally fine with levels just being pretty corridors over them trying to squeeze out some sort of interactivity with platforming and puzzles, because those have never been fun to do in DMC. We all come to this series for the fighting, and I don't think anyone would care if they just structured it from fight to fight.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

GUI posted:

Reversing the inputs for Split........................

Is it not lock-on + forward anymore?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think V being self-serious but having snarky/sarcastic summons is probably they way they're going to go and I think that sounds like a fun dynamic.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Brutakas posted:

Is it not lock-on + forward anymore?

lock-on + back now.

ImpAtom posted:

I think V being self-serious but having snarky/sarcastic summons is probably they way they're going to go and I think that sounds like a fun dynamic.

V's summons are great. All he needs is a spider and he'll have the 'DMC1 enemies/bosses people actually remember' set.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I imagine V will be very deadpan, but also isn't above deadpanning quips like Vergil did.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

So reading V's profile on the website his familiars are how he'll travel faster like how you see him riding on Nightmare in the trailer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't want DMC to remove the stupid stage navigation, keys, and puzzle poo poo and hope DMC5 has as much of it

Zaa Boogie posted:

So reading V's profile on the website his familiars are how he'll travel faster like how you see him riding on Nightmare in the trailer.

God bless this man

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

V definitely runs normally during gameplay at one point in the trailer but I really hope that he has something similar to DMC4 Vergil's Concentration mechanic.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Zaa Boogie posted:

V's summons are great. All he needs is a spider and he'll have the 'DMC1 enemies/bosses people actually remember' set.

i'm ok with phantom being put on the bench because shadows, especially when you fight 2/3 at a time, are legitimately harder/more interesting enemies. dmc1 makes phantom kind of a joke because of stuff like him just randomly showing up mid level to get beat up on and his last fight being one you can win without attacking once

it could be some kind of nod towards kamiya too, since Very Similar But Legally Distinct phantom shows up in bayo 2 so maybe he's just "busy" or something

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This pulls my devil trigger.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 8, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

This pulls my devil trigger.

Fuckin' Sasuke-rear end motherfucker right there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What else do you expect from guy dressed like that.
Seriously, suit pants, sandals, sleeveless leather trenchcoat, a vest over otherwise naked chest, and a single glove.

What I'm trying to say is that he fits the game perfectly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also believe that these devs wouldn’t add a character to the series if they weren’t sure he would be fun to play, even if it’s a substantial departure from the formula. Lady is fun for everyone, but for the people who like her she really clicks. I’m the nerd who only plays as wizards in RPG’s, so playing as V is gonna be amazing.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
V is the magic user from Shadow Over Mystara

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone played the demo? Wish this would come PS4, playstation is the DMC console. Eh w.e.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Zaa Boogie posted:

lock-on + back now.

I wonder, is calibur just forward now? Instead of back forward.

Either way, that'll take some adjusting hopefully it is configurable.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Brutakas posted:

I wonder, is calibur just forward now? Instead of back forward.

Either way, that'll take some adjusting hopefully it is configurable.

Nope, Calibur is in and it's still back forward. My first thought is that maybe they added another move to air forward since there wasn't one in 4.

Gotta say. Landing that Goliath counter when he charges at you with Overture feels niiiice.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 9, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Anyone played the demo? Wish this would come PS4, playstation is the DMC console. Eh w.e.

Im firing it up in a bit, Ill let ya know.

And PC is the DMC console.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Barudak posted:

Im firing it up in a bit, Ill let ya know.

And PC is the DMC console.

DMC console is whatever you can play it on. :v:

I'll pour one for the homies for those that don't have a Switch for Bayonetta 2 and 3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zaa Boogie posted:

DMC console is whatever you can play it on. :v:

I'll pour one for the homies for those that don't have a Switch for Bayonetta 2 and 3.

Bayonetta 2 was on WiiU, but I agree Bayonetta 3 and 4 are gonna rule

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Man's gotta keep his coupons somewhere

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crazy short demo. Did very poor it felt but still got an A. I didnt think theyd find a way to make me dislike Nero's gameplay even more but they did it, at least the change to his gun is friendly to playing him and not contorting your hand even if the damage it deals is now nerfed tremendously in exchange

Anybody know what the japanese on nico's van says?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

I didnt think theyd find a way to make me dislike Nero's gameplay even more but they did it,

Oh, how so?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

Oh, how so?

I already didnt like his rev the blade mechanics for a variety of reasons but the new breaker system is just so many things I dont like in a bundle. Youre dependent on whats in the stage, you have to break one to go to the next one, and the utility of the effects they provide arent all equal so youre going to favor some over others but you dont have real control over which ones youll have since again stage controls it. Breaking it intentionally is also not necessarily safe and is actually quite a bit slower than youd expect, so even if you did want to cycle to the next one for its effects you need to set it up during combat which the reason why you swapped may have changed.

Further, it breaking when you get hit while using one seems like this weird nod to realism that I dont see the design objective behind and every reason to see it included has a better solution.

Game controls smooth as heck and new camera angles are very pleasant as are the minor QoL tweaks like sprint changes so Im not saying its a bad game, its just Im not going to like Nero as much as the other characters.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 9, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

what’s the gun change?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

I already didnt like his rev the blade mechanics for a variety of reasons but the new breaker system is just so many things I dont like in a bundle. Youre dependent on whats in the stage, you have to break one to go to the next one, and the utility of the effects they provide arent all equal so youre going to favor some over others but you dont have real control over which ones youll have since again stage controls it. Breaking it intentionally is also not necessarily safe and is actually quite a bit slower than youd expect, so even if you did want to cycle to the next one for its effects you need to set it up during combat which the reason why you swapped may have changed.

Further, it breaking when you get hit while using one seems like this weird nod to realism that I dont see the design objective behind and every reason to see it included has a better solution.

Game controls smooth as heck and new camera angles are very pleasant as are the minor QoL tweaks like sprint changes so Im not saying its a bad game, its just Im not going to like Nero as much as the other characters.

Yeah, Nero was by faaaaar my least favourite in DMC4SE (with you on the rev mechanic) but I was hoping his new, more varied moveset would make me like him.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
You don't have to contort your hand if you remap Blue Rose to a shoulder button. Pretty sure one of them isn't even used in 5.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

You still have to hold a shoulder button basically the entire time you're playing as him, though. I know that it wouldn't feel as good, but I wish there was an autocharge option or upgrade so you just didn't have to worry about it. I suppose playing on PC you could literally just invert the input state somehow?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

GUI posted:

If you're at SSS style and get hit Nero puts on his hoodie of shame and it remains on until a story cutscene (as in, the short ones that mark the beginning and end of combat don't count) happens.

What the gently caress

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just played the demo and while I like some of the new arm mechanics I think not being able to use the arm poo poo while locked on is obnoxious, but snatch is also way slower than it used to be and I don't know why. Charge shot is a bit nicer, but it feels less powerful I'm sure this is just a thing that is going to have an actual upgrade in the main game so it's whatever but just felt like I should mention it. Goliath feels like a pretty decent enough boss and the ways you can approach him is pretty fun, I know I used gerbera to move around him while staying in the air and he barely ever touched me, Exceed still feels fun to hit and work buttons with too. The actual fighting and everything feels pretty great and movement through level navigation is p nice and snappy from what little of it is in this game.

TriffTshngo posted:

You don't have to contort your hand if you remap Blue Rose to a shoulder button. Pretty sure one of them isn't even used in 5.

We don't know if that button going to actually be used for anything in the main game or not, because taunt used to be on that button for Nero in DMC4 and now it's on the select button so it's gonna probably have something.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wait what, for me the taunt was always on Select.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

what’s the gun change?

Hold to load 6 shots, release to fire double shot and the next two shots regardless of when you fire are also double shots. Its a flat out better system.

Gun deals significantly less damage than charged level 2 or 3 from DMC4, obviously, but enough damage and extra stun on enemies that its a useful and painful tool.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 9, 2018

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm probably misremembering, because I have SE on the mind recently where his taunt button is probably mapped to the touchpad or some poo poo so I put it on R2, nevermind that then.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have hope they are going to tweak some of the devil breaker stuff to make swapping easier.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Split being Down+Triangle now is some obnoxious loving poo poo though, I have 10 years of muscle memory guys you gotta work with me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Makes me think Im better off not playing DMC4 for now so I can adjust faster