Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sorry, help me out: The guy voted for brexit so his wife left him out of disgust, right? Or is she actually going to be deported after brexit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Surprised he didn't get more out of them Tbh. His job involves dealing with cunts on the regular.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Randler posted:

"The story you tell is incredibly sad and heartbreaking." "Than-" "For you."

Jacob Reese-Mogg everybody!

if only he had suddenly switched to doing a bane voice

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Is there any interest in a politics of Public Domain works thread? I've been thinking about it a bit recently, especially in regards to how the internet interacts with it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crain posted:

Is there any interest in a politics of Public Domain works thread? I've been thinking about it a bit recently, especially in regards to how the internet interacts with it.

The :evil: Libertarian Squad is long gone from the forums, so yeah, a general Intellectual Property Thread might be tolerable now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crain posted:

I'm not motivated to write an OP about this but if you are I'd read it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not motivated to write an OP about this but if you are I'd read it.

I'm currently writing one up so I'm more getting the word out than looking for interest.

The biggest issue/funny observation I've had wrt Public Domain, Copyright, and the internet is that we basically are all operating on the idea that everything produced is ours to modify as we so choose. Like, even the grognardiest libertarians still make memes from published works that are held under the exclusive copyright of their creators.

Hell, some animators and filmmakers just recently remade ALL OF SHREK 1 in little snippets that they each took control of just for the gently caress of it. Which is exactly the kind of thing that the Public Domain is for, however under current law all of that is technically illegal and without the technicality of the Fair Use defense (because it's not a law, it's a defense you can use if the copyright holder decides to sue you) even non-profit remixes like that shouldn't be allowed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876355

Thread's up.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This is an extremely high quality doggie, please pet the doggie for me.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i'm more used to seeing vanya under natural lighting

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm more used to seeing vanya under natural lighting
that is natural lighting, our sunlight looks like that

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

fauna posted:

that is natural lighting, our sunlight looks like that

Is that because of all the smoke from your country being on fire?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Stumbled across a libertarian history podcast episode on John Brown today so I listened to it at work. It was pretty funny. Since dude was playing historian, he couldn't throw out the states rights argument, since even a cursory reading of the Fugitive Slave Act and the founding of the confederacy makes it blatantly clear that the south didn't give two shits about states rights, so he went in some really interesting directions. The funniest was when he started saying "historians say" as though they are a monolith while he was arguing that John Brown made up that he saw a black kid getting beaten as a child, which Brown always said was a defining moment in his life, because, among other reasons, slaveowners would have no reason to beat slaves with shovels because the slaves were their property and what would be the sense in that?

But the best was at the end when he was describing why Brown was such a failure. Because he created the perception among southerners that the north was out to get them, even ~southerners that didn't support slavery~, so he radicalized them against the North. Completely ignoring that Brown's trial prompted a worldwide debate and revolutionized the abolitionist movement, such that it became a massive issue instead of just something smug people talked about in 19th century starbucks cafes. The south always had a persecution complex, and they used that to justify the horrific atrocities they committed, and to oppose any sort of concessions when it came to, you know, respecting the concept of basic human dignity. Brown didn't create that. Instead, he just spread the word to Northerners that the south deserved to be persecuted, and needed to be persecuted, for the only way to get an inch from them was to take it. And when it came to the institution of slavery, decent people had a moral obligation to take the whole mother fucker rear end yard stick.

He also spent a good hour digging into every military aspect of the raid at Harpers Ferry to illustrate how it was such a failure, but didn't say a word about how John Browns legacy was such that union soldiers were singing his name as they marched into battle at Harpers Ferry. gently caress off m8.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 8, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm surprised he don't just describe john brown as "crazy" and then cram the whole affair down the memory hole

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Stumbled across a libertarian history podcast episode on John Brown today so I listened to it at work. It was pretty funny. Since dude was playing historian, he couldn't throw out the states rights argument, since even a cursory reading of the Fugitive Slave Act and the founding of the confederacy makes it blatantly clear that the south didn't give two shits about states rights, so he went in some really interesting directions. The funniest was when he started saying "historians say" as though they are a monolith while he was arguing that John Brown made up that he saw a black kid getting beaten as a child, which Brown always said was a defining moment in his life, because, among other reasons, slaveowners would have no reason to beat slaves with shovels because the slaves were their property and what would be the sense in that?

But the best was at the end when he was describing why Brown was such a failure. Because he created the perception among southerners that the north was out to get them, even ~southerners that didn't support slavery~, so he radicalized them against the North. Completely ignoring that Brown's trial prompted a worldwide debate and revolutionized the abolitionist movement, such that it became a massive issue instead of just something smug people talked about in 19th century starbucks cafes. The south always had a persecution complex, and they used that to justify the horrific atrocities they committed, and to oppose any sort of concessions when it came to, you know, respecting the concept of basic human dignity. Brown didn't create that. Instead, he just spread the word to Northerners that the south deserved to be persecuted, and needed to be persecuted, for the only way to get an inch from them was to take it. And when it came to the institution of slavery, decent people had a moral obligation to take the whole mother fucker rear end yard stick.

He also spent a good hour digging into every military aspect of the raid at Harpers Ferry to illustrate how it was such a failure, but didn't say a word about how John Browns legacy was such that union soldiers were singing his name as they marched into battle at Harpers Ferry. gently caress off m8.

Didn't the "Southern Rights" massacres up in Wisconsin/Michigan occur before the Raid on Harper's Ferry?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EdithUpwards posted:

Didn't the "Southern Rights" massacres up in Wisconsin/Michigan occur before the Raid on Harper's Ferry?

Idk, but Bleeding Kansas was already in full swing. Brown led a massacre there after the sacking of lawrence and the murders of a few abolitionists which kicked off the whole deal, well before Harpers Ferry.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

a libertarian history podcast

why would you subject yourself to that

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Because it was more than 45 seconds long so I knew it was gonna deviate from the traditional libertarian telling in some ways, so I was curious how.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHTZyb7-1iE

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 8, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm late to the party, but megalobox is super good

too bad we all know were this trains heading...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UOeWKG8xy8

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
free avs

all mods are bastards

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Did Avs toxx for Avenatti?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

just bought twenty-five grams of ironbark seeds

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

well, government collapsed again

quasi-fash party n-va toppled it over signing the treaty of marrakesh, a meaningless non-enforced piece of paper that really only reaffirms the 1948 human rights treaty - but it's six months till the next elections and this is just part of their horrid garbage campaign and i hate them so much

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

france do a communist 1792 and liberate us

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

R. Mute posted:

quasi-fash party n-va toppled it over signing the treaty of marrakesh, a meaningless non-enforced piece of paper that really only reaffirms the 1948 human rights treaty - but it's six months till the next elections and this is just part of their horrid garbage campaign and i hate them so much

pretending this is the one about large-print books for visually impaired people

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

R. Mute posted:

:rip: what country?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

treaty of marrakesh sounds lit

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo ain't so bad, france

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36laLCQxdQ

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i wanted to google some heroic belgian propaganda but it was all fascism and CONGO'S OURS so have this instead:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

i wanted to google some heroic belgian propaganda but it was all fascism and CONGO'S OURS so have this instead:

This is the obvious answer:
https://youtu.be/CE8XKeN0zk4

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

R. Mute posted:

Are things really that dire? :ohdear:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lineup: Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Sabaton, Amon Amarth, Papa Roach, Powerwolf, Behemoth, Ministry, Sick Of It All, Amaranthe

:sad:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
sad you dont live in france

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Are things really that dire? :ohdear:
nah. just incredibly tedious. n-va are gonna get away with this absolutely blatant gambit and it's going to be really annoying. open your eyes sheeple, etc

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fauna posted:

just bought twenty-five grams of ironbark seeds

how are you going to keep away the birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

R. Mute posted:

That desperate for the modern napoleon huh