Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Fart Car '97 posted:

Considering the price jump from signature to reserve is usually $3 and the jump from signature to 12 is $5... 12. It's one of the best liquor value propositions out there

Thanks - I figured that would be the case but was thrown off by the tiny price differences. Couldn’t figure out why they would sell three different options within a $5 range.

Just curious, when people here think of the best value propositions in liquor, what else comes to mind? For example, I think Rittenhouse falls into that category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
El Dorado 5, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Ford's Gin.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

mentalcontempt posted:

Just curious, when people here think of the best value propositions in liquor, what else comes to mind? For example, I think Rittenhouse falls into that category.
Evan Williams makes way better whiskies than its price implies - I usually keep either a bottle of Single Barrel around for sipping, or a handle of Black or White label stuff for cocktails (but then, I tend to only make bourbon cocktails that taste like 'bourbon plus a tiny bit more' - people call it flat in more complex drinks). For tequila, Lunazul Blanco is astoundingly affordable for the quality. Brujal Extra Viejo is my favorite darker rum for mixing in things, and it's usually bottom/middle shelf stuff at my store. For gin, Citadelle Gin won a bunch of awards and it's usually like $20, it's so goddamn good for just a standard-rear end gin. I also pretty much exclusively use Cutty Sark or Teacher's when doing scotch cocktails; they're both cheap and taste like poo poo but there's something about adding some ginger or lemon to either that explodes with flavor I don't get with more expensive stuff.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I love two cocktail discussions:

- what constitutes a proper old fashioned
- the best way to make a martini

And we had one of those arguments just now.

So, uh, what’s your favourite martini? :mrgw:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mentalcontempt posted:

Gin: Citadelle is indeed very good, as is Beefeater; Gordon's and New Amsterdam are better than they have any right to be at their price point.

Rum, Dark: Appleton Signature, Cruzan Black Strap, can't go wrong with Gosling's.

Rum, Spiced: Bacardi Oakhart

Rum, White: Cruzan Aged. Flor de Cana Extra Seco is the best white rum I've ever tasted, but some of us ITT are boycotting them for their 18th-century labour practices.

Tequila: Lunazul takes the lead, El Jimador, Sauza Hornitos

Vermouth: Cocchi di Torino is IMO the all-around best and most versatile red vermouth; if you can't find that and want a bargain, go with Noilly Prat. I am not qualified to advise you on dry vermouth.

Vodka: Luksusowa. Good vodka is about $15 for 750ml and anyone who says different sells vodka for a living.

Whiskey: Evan Williams 1783

If I leave out anything that's a no-brainer to the rest of you, let me take another opportunity to complain about the limited availability and weird pricing of VA ABC. For example, Old Overholt is $20-25 here, but some other things are cheaper here than in Delaware, where I typically stock up.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Gin and vermouth stirred while starring at an unopened bottle of vodka.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

virinvictus posted:

The one that's actually a martini. Pretty tired of the short cocktail=martini thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't even like martinis, but I'm still one of those snobs that disdains a menu of "martinis" made with fruit vodka and sour mix.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

zmcnulty posted:

The one that's actually a martini. Pretty tired of the short cocktail=martini thing.

I meant more along the lines of gin vs vodka and then ratios of them to vermouth.

I tried one at a 5:1 gin-vermouth and found it too “straight”. I prefer 2:1, *maybe* 3:1. I don’t mind the occasional vodka martini.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Petition to change the subtitle of this thread to : “Angry fruit salad chat”

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

virinvictus posted:

Pretty popular in this thread, 1:1 with a dash of orange bitters

ColHannibal posted:

Petition to change the subtitle of this thread to : “Angry fruit salad chat”

Angry Fruit Salad is my brand of Xtreme salad for men.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Toast Museum posted:

Pretty popular in this thread, 1:1 with a dash of orange bitters

I've never read about 1:1. It sounds like something I should try out. I'll try three and figure out if I like it like that.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Halloween Jack posted:

For example, Old Overholt is $20-25 here

That is highway god-damned robbery

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Who needs a martini when you can just drink Noilly-Prat through a bendy straw?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

virinvictus posted:

I've never read about 1:1. It sounds like something I should try out. I'll try three and figure out if I like it like that.

It’s also sold as a 50:50 on some menus. It lets the vermouth express itself more while having less alcohol content.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There's a good microsite that should clear up any misapprehensions when it comes to the Old Fashioned: http://oldfashioned101.com/

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Biomute posted:

There's a good microsite that should clear up any misapprehensions when it comes to the Old Fashioned: http://oldfashioned101.com/

This was brought up as a bad thing earlier. It gave me the basis of what I used to learn about Old Fashioned. I like Martin. I like people having strong opinions about things nobody else cares about. However, I also remember that taste is personal.

Regarding martinis, my favourite thing similar to Old Fashioned 101 was: http://www.rdwarf.com/users/mink/martinifaq.html
Such a good resource.

But, the old fashioned is my favourite drink. I drink it with rye, rich syrup, and bitters. I don't bother with the fruit, or sugar cubes. I just enjoy a slightly sweetened whiskey with about 6 shakes of angostura bitters.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Personally, I'm not opposed to a slight bit of experimentation either, as long as you declare it and stay true to the spirit of the drink. A local bar here makes one with hazelnut bitters and that draws out some really complimentary chocolate notes from the Four Roses bourbon they use. At home I make it with Buffalo Trace, double syrup, orange peel and two dashes of Angostura.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Biomute posted:

Personally, I'm not opposed to a slight bit of experimentation either, as long as you declare it and stay true to the spirit of the drink. A local bar here makes one with hazelnut bitters and that draws out some really complimentary chocolate notes from the Four Roses bourbon they use. At home I make it with Buffalo Trace, double syrup, orange peel and two dashes of Angostura.

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting with the Old Fashioned. It's just that when you start straying from the basic formula of "bourbon/rye, sugar, bitters, ice" you're basically creating a different drink that will taste and feel different from "an Old Fashioned". It's like making a fermented corn beer and calling it sake: make it, but call it something different.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Biomute posted:

Note that the guy who wrote an essay in pure Miladyspeak about how there's only one right way to make an Old Fashioned is hawking a book full of Old Fashioned recipes

chitoryu12 posted:

It's like making a fermented corn beer and calling it sake: make it, but call it something different.
Yeah, whiskey with orange oil in it and whiskey without orange oil in it are as different as Chardonnay and gin. What?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Halloween Jack posted:

Note that the guy who wrote an essay in pure Miladyspeak about how there's only one right way to make an Old Fashioned is hawking a book full of Old Fashioned recipes

It's not his book, and even if it were, he states that they are indeed departures. I'm cool with that. I mean, if you don't like the dude or his writing go read Jeffrey Morgenthaler or some other reputable industry person instead, but let's not look past that significant effort has gone into saving the Old Fashioned from muddled fruit and soda water and that it's a good thing that if you ask for an Old Fashioned in a bar these days you stand a good chance of actually getting the proper drink.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 8, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, it's one thing being a stodgy rear end in a top hat afraid of any change or creativity. But there's nothing wrong with being a bit protective of tradition so that a drink's entire identity doesn't turn out like the martini did in the 90's.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lokee posted:

Just going to go ahead and repost Kenning's Punch List since I haven't seen it come up in a while.

I've been using Trello a lot lately to collaborate menu revisions and like, if I put together a recipe board for this thread would people post to it?

edit- couldn't help myself

Invite Link:
https://trello.com/invite/b/sQLYidgs/2c6aad330e64ecc5393b5636d04302a8/sa-cocktail-nerd-jamboree

Yo! Thanks to you and Kenning! I just made Admiral Russell's punch and it was a big hit with my wife's coworkers :)

I toyed with the ratios on a small sample batch before the party, and to my taste Kenning got it right - 75% of the indicated water did great, and no adjustment of other ingredients improved it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Biomute posted:

It's not his book, and even if it were, he states that they are indeed departures. I'm cool with that. I mean, if you don't like the dude or his writing go read Jeffrey Morgenthaler or some other reputable industry person instead, but let's not look past that significant effort has gone into saving the Old Fashioned from muddled fruit and soda water and that it's a good thing that if you ask for an Old Fashioned in a bar these days you stand a good chance of actually getting the proper drink.

Yeah, I read the book cover to cover. Every variation in the recipes has its own name and is credited to the original creator. The poo poo that got passed off as an “Old Fashioned” until about 15 years ago can get pretty gnarly.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
That’s all fascinating, but what rum should I use in a Dark N Stormy?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Maestro posted:

Goslings.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

virinvictus posted:

Raspberry vodka with some limoncello and a dash of cinnamon schnapps served with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds :mrgw:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BrianBoitano posted:

Yo! Thanks to you and Kenning! I just made Admiral Russell's punch and it was a big hit with my wife's coworkers :)

I toyed with the ratios on a small sample batch before the party, and to my taste Kenning got it right - 75% of the indicated water did great, and no adjustment of other ingredients improved it.

Awesome! It's a great punch. It's so satisfying to keeping spreading the Good News.

The Maestro posted:

Coruba.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Gosling's is good and I agree that Coruba is an even better choice if you can get it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Ah, but then it’s not a Dark N Stormy. ColHannibal didn’t fall for it. This elaborate ruse was all to prove some nebulous and muddled point about names of drinks vs interpretations. I don’t even know honestly. Just sick of people espousing the ONE TRUE Old Fashioned and if you do it any different you have to call it something else! Big loving whoop. As long as it tastes good and the guest is happy.

There are gray areas though, so I can’t fall squarely on one side. It’s important with cocktails to not get caught up in historical accuracy, unless you are specifically aiming for that.

(Gosling’s trademarked the name Dark N Stormy so legally you are not allowed to make it with a different rum and call it that)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What if I called it a Dork N Stormy

edit: fwiw if you order an Old Fashioned here in Tokyo you usually get an orange, cherry, and maybe lemon or lime skewered with a pick then placed on top of the drink -- either just laid atop the ice, or across the rim of the glass. Do whatever you prefer with the fruit.

Also,

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

E: don’t serve unstrained muddled fruit to anyone, it’s a surefire way to get things stuck in their teeth and it is poor etiquette.

The caipirinha strongly disagrees

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 9, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Trademarked drinks are stupid, and so are most brand-specific cocktails. I might have defended the use of Rose's lime juice in a gimlet, but the actual product recipe has changed so much at this point that you don't really get any hipster cred to offset the absence of fresh citrus.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 9, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, it's worth it to make your own lime syrup in that case.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Biomute posted:

Trademarked drinks are stupid, and so are most brand-specific cocktails. I might have defended the use of Rose's lime juice in a gimlet, but the actual product recipe has changed so much at this point that you don't really get any hipster cred to offset the absence of fresh citrus.

I mean I kinda get it, they want that brand name power soda has. I mean it’s like if I go to a bar and order a captain and coke, when they ask if Bacardi is ok I simply respond “No, I want it to take like zippo fluid, not kerosene.”

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What trademark drinks exist beyond the Bacardi cocktail, the dark and stormy, and the painkiller?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Flaming Moe

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I’m looking to spend about $100 to get some basic cordials as a Christmas gift for a couple friends to start their home bar. What are the absolute must have liqueurs for a basic home bar? I’ve already got my eye on some Patron Citronge since Cointreau is so goddamn pricey.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking to spend about $100 to get some basic cordials as a Christmas gift for a couple friends to start their home bar. What are the absolute must have liqueurs for a basic home bar? I’ve already got my eye on some Patron Citronge since Cointreau is so goddamn pricey.

Does that mean they're already set on base spirits?

Dekuyper O3 is a little cheaper than Citronage and is pretty well-liked as a Cointreau alternative. Luxardo Maraschino shows up pretty frequently in recipes. Not liqueur, but Angostura bitters are pretty indispensable, with orange bitters well worth having too. If they're into tiki, Velvet Falernum is a solid pick.

If you (or they) aren't sure what they're into, consider going for 375mL bottles and getting a little more variety.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

They are set on base spirits for sure. Gin, vodka, whiskey, rum, and tequila are always on hand. He’s big into whiskey, she will drink anything cocktail wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Finally had a Sazerac, at a Speak Easy in Utah of all places, and drat was that tasty. No ice in the glass which I found SUPER odd at first.

Holy poo poo. That was a great drink.
Recipe was:
Templeton Rye
Lucid Wash
Bitters
Simple Syrup

This is as per the menu.

Looks like it is finally time for me to add Absinthe to my home bar. What other drinks should I like at once I pick some up?

Also, as someone who is looking to do up his home bar....any sites you gents use while getting the home bar up and running? Even looking for general bar area/shelf ideas. Any websites that have reasonable prices?
My issue is I have a large collection of bottles and need quite a bit of space to avoid triple stacking bottles