Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

oldpainless posted:

Perhaps you should have instituted a “some politics” rule instead of going scorched earth. Feel free to pm me for more discussion or, in the interests of full transparency, continue the conversation in the thread.

I didn't institute anything, that was the mod(s). There was a political argument that went into arguing about sources where at the end I said "should I look for more sources"? and the mods said no.

*paraphrasing a lot here but that was the gist

doverhog has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Dec 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

I didn't institute anything, that was the mod(s). There was a political argument that went into arguing about sources where at the end I said "should I look for more sources"? and the mods said no.

*paraphrasing a lot here but that was the gist

but it reads instead, "Goon Mod?"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve said it before: moderation just doesn’t work.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I haven’t said it in this thread before but in other places.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

And when (If) I die I’ll look god in its face and say the same thing. Goderation just doesn’t work

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Yeah. I know I called for a no politics rule in this thread, but I regret doing that in such absolute terms. I dunno what to say to things a lot of the time, politics is everywhere once you scratch the surface even a little.

there's a clear difference between the kind of politics that won't cause a big stupid argument (see: any please clap shenanigans), and politics that will attract the most big-brained morons who will indeed start a slapfight for pages and pages. its better to just go ahead and say "nope, none of that" because this is not the place for that to even have a chance of happening

Caufman
May 7, 2007
We don't need moderators! We need extremerators! Or exterminators.

Nah, that's too extreme.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Caufman posted:

We don't need moderators! We need extremerators! Or exterminators.

Nah, that's too extreme.

mods???

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
We should allow half-politics: you can bring up politics but only half of what you were planning. This rule is not to be clarified and each poster must interpret using their own best judgment

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
How about only political allegories, but they have to be in the form of a haiku?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Pepsi is better than Coke

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The most underrated/underappreciated singer in a rock band from the 70s was David Byron.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

Pepsi is better than Coke

In all but name.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ommin posted:

How about only political allegories, but they have to be in the form of a haiku?

That's kinda ableist, counting syllables can be hard.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
PHUO: A literal bum off the street would do a better job as the CEO of a finacial institution than 99.9% of all CEOs of financial institutions.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think that depends on how you define "better job". If you mean acting 100% for the good of the company, maybe, but if you mean abusing the system to line their own pockets I don't think a bum would know the best way to do that. It's one of the reasons why I didn't find the events in Trading Places plausible - the good guys trying earnestly to do their jobs aren't the successful ones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You can't really do a straight comparison of the Hellboy comics and the Hellboy movies, because the Hellboy comics are this big sprawling universe with all kinds of offshoots that cover way more of a more interesting universe.

But, the Hellboy movies do a much better job covering the material that they do than the Hellboy comics did covering that same material.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

spit on my clit posted:

there's a clear difference between

If it was so clear we wouldn't need mods. It's clear to YOU based on YOUR judgements. Mod gets to decide, not you. You're not a mod.

My PHUO is that spit on my clit secretly wants to be a mod bc judgement is fun (hence why they live in this thread) but can't keep it in their pants

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There seems to be a lot going on here and I have had reports so I will make a determination when I figure out what is occurring first

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ah watari washta

I think it is unavoidbale to have complex discussions but in general if you have a PHUO that is likely to start a Seriocus Converstaion about MORAals then you are better off making it in a relevant subforum. However if occasionally more complex things arise in an unforseen way they can probably run their course safely

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

the spirit of the rule was to stop people just drive bying poltical stuff etc. which becomes a poo poo storm not to stamp out any kind of more advanced conversation so go forth with light in your hearts and remember this

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Oatmeal raisin is the best cookie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've already expressed how wrong I think you are in detail in the past, so i'll just simply reiterate that you're wrong and they should be illegal for tricking cookie eaters in to thinking they are getting the far superior oatmeal chocolate chip cookie until they bite into it/examine it very closely.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Raisins are disgusting little disappointment pellets.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I can never which one is which out of raisins, sultanas and currants, but the big juicy ones are pretty nice and the little black ones are good in biscuits, but the shrivelled brown ones are garbage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've already expressed how wrong I think you are in detail in the past, so i'll just simply reiterate that you're wrong and they should be illegal for tricking cookie eaters in to thinking they are getting the far superior oatmeal chocolate chip cookie until they bite into it/examine it very closely.

This is the moment where you and I realize we aren't that different and join together to fight the real foe, oatmeal raisin cookies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oatmeal raisin is definitely not my go-to cookie choice but it's fine. It's also easy to tell apart from chocolate chip unless you make your cookie selections using a spyglass on the deck of a ship in turbulent waters.

Also some raisins taste good and have a place in certain foods.

What is with you people lately where Tiggum is the voice of reason

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It depends on who made the cookie and the cookie/chip(or raisin) ratio. If they aren't sticking out on the surface it can be difficult to tell to the untrained eye that hasn't experienced such betrayal often enough to look for the warning signs of Being A Raisin. I know I'm not the only one because when I make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies people always comment that they thought it was oatmeal raisin, and if they have good taste then they are pleasantly surprised when they bite into it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Raisins can be great, but they can also be terrible. I've had people put raisins onto meats or in a salad and in those cases they almost always ruin it. I once ordered a curry chicken salad sandwich, and it could have been great, but there were raisins in it and it ruined it so hard I couldn't finish it.

But on the other hand, oatmeal raisin cookies are delicious and I will eat them all day. I also enjoy them on their own as a snack. They're also good mixed in with nuts and M&Ms for a trail mix. So they can be great, or terrible, depending on what they're paired with.

Olives on the other hand are always bad in all cases.

On an unrelated note, I have an unpopular opinion about Star Trek TNG:

Dr Pulaski is a good character with some great episodes focusing around her. She's perfectly fine and I don't feel you have to compare her to Dr Crusher. They're both good characters. Dr Crusher is liked more as she had more time to develop and fans to get to know here. But you have to admit that Dr Crushers lows are far lower than Pulaski's. Pulaksi never had a Sub Rosa. Season 2 as it is, is universally hated, but it's FAR better than season 1.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Master Twig posted:

I've had people put raisins onto meats or in a salad and in those cases they almost always ruin it.
That's the best thing to do with them. I love a bit of sweet in savoury foods.

Master Twig posted:

Olives on the other hand are always bad in all cases.
You're wrong about this, too.

Master Twig posted:

On an unrelated note, I have an unpopular opinion about Star Trek TNG:

Dr Pulaski is a good character with some great episodes focusing around her. She's perfectly fine and I don't feel you have to compare her to Dr Crusher. They're both good characters.
And wrong again. Dr Pulaski was a huge improvement and it was incredibly disappointing that they got Dr Crusher back because she was basically worthless. Like, not terrible, but if she was just written out of the show why would anyone even care? Whereas Pulaski was great. I particularly loved the way she challenged everyone's attitudes and perceptions of Data all the time, not as a major plot thing, just as a background detail. Like, saying mean things about him because he says he's got no emotions so he can't possibly mind. Or mispronouncing his name, because what difference does it make? Oh, but he does mind? Why? How? We don't have to address that right now but it's something to think about.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah, Pulaski owned, Crusher was a great big nothing. In most episodes featuring Crusher she could be replaced by just an unnamed medical officer and it would change nothing

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah, I've been watching TNG from the beginning and Pulaski is cool. They even do a fair bit of character development for her while Crusher is off leading Starfleet Medical. Crusher is hot for Picard and brought her child Wesley on the ship, Pulaski is there because she's competent, and if she finds Data weird so what, Data and his position on the Enterprise are loving weird.

The federation has no official policy on how to deal with sentient AI, or if AI even can be sentient. There's an episode where a Starfleet researcher attempts to pull rank, transfer Data under his command, and disassemble him to figure out how his brain works, and Picard has to argue in a military tribunal that Data is sentient and allowing this to happen would be tantamount to slavery. Yet this android of dubious sentience is the 3rd in command on the Enterprise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think with Pulaski they wanted to get that Bones/Spock antagonistic dynamic between her and Data, but it didn't work because Spock was always able to trade barbs with Bones but Data never did. Might have been interesting if Pulaski had been kept on and they'd developed things further in that direction. It would have been particularly interesting if Pulaski had interacted with Lore.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah the Lore/Data thing is interesting. Data often seems childlike, and unable to do things that really should be easy for an AI to do. However, we learn that Lore was build first, and was able to do all the things Data can't, but he was evil, and plotted with the crystalline entity to murder everyone. Data is purposefully dumb in some ways, because Lore was too smart, too human, and ultimately too evil.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Yeah, I've been watching TNG from the beginning and Pulaski is cool. They even do a fair bit of character development for her while Crusher is off leading Starfleet Medical. Crusher is hot for Picard and brought her child Wesley on the ship, Pulaski is there because she's competent, and if she finds Data weird so what, Data and his position on the Enterprise are loving weird.

The federation has no official policy on how to deal with sentient AI, or if AI even can be sentient. There's an episode where a Starfleet researcher attempts to pull rank, transfer Data under his command, and disassemble him to figure out how his brain works, and Picard has to argue in a military tribunal that Data is sentient and allowing this to happen would be tantamount to slavery. Yet this android of dubious sentience is the 3rd in command on the Enterprise.

That episode was really about how Starfleet settled that kind of matter. The Academy would take basically anybody so you had random things like one specific individual being the only person of their race in Starfleet (like, you know, Worf). In Data's case the only person who turned down his application to join was the guy that later spearheaded the idea to take him apart and figure out how he works. He ultimately needed an admiral's support to get away with it but could only do so if he could successfully argue that Data was a thing.

But if you look at how Starfleet views sentience it doesn't really matter how the whatever it is became sentient in the first place. It also got into weird territory like drawing specific lines between what is sentient and what isn't. It was pretty clear given that they allowed Data to join in the first place and then become third in command that for the most part Starfleet didn't really give much of a poo poo. He joined up, everybody but one person reviewing his application said yes, and then he turned out to be a good officer so he progressed up the ranks. Really though Data isn't even the tenth weirdest thing Starfleet has encountered and it was just one guy being a prick that led to that whole mess. Otherwise Starfleet seemed content to treat him as just another officer in the ranks just, you know, he was a robot.

Really that episode was some really good sci fi and Data just is in general. My favorite Data moment was when he built an android himself and then Picard was like "the gently caress, dude? Get permission first!" Data just calmly replied "I don't seem to recall other crew members requiring your permission to reproduce."

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If you really wanted to get into it, it makes little sense for Data to be an officer without his "human rights" or sentience having been established and possibly challenged in court first. But it's still a good episode, given the constraints of the medium, particularly back then.

Also it's kind of funny how often Picard, when faced with a problem, goes "Data, you figure it out". That's a good command decision and smart though, if you have Data on your bridge you should default to him calculating the answer whenever possible. Beep boop.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Dec 9, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

If you really wanted to get into it, it makes little sense for Data to be an officer without his "human rights" or sentience having been established and possibly challenged in court first. But it's still a good episode, given the constraints of the medium, particularly back then.

Given how Starfleet operates they probably didn't think it was a question even worth asking. He was capable of understanding and filling out the application in the first place so everybody but the one dude looked at that and went "OK, good enough."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

All scifi shows seem to have a similar episode with "is AI really sentient" being argued like that. My probably unpopular opinion is that if we were ever capable of creating such a thing, we would be trying to be gods, and therefore anything even approaching sentient AI should be destroyed for our own good. Creations always rebel against the creator eventually.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

All scifi shows seem to have a similar episode with "is AI really sentient" being argued like that. My probably unpopular opinion is that if we were ever capable of creating such a thing, we would be trying to be gods, and therefore anything even approaching sentient AI should be destroyed for our own good. Creations always rebel against the creator eventually.

My opinion is that we won't bother inventing it. I think it's far more likely that we'll start stapling poo poo to our brains before we create true artificial sentience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Creations always rebel against the creator eventually.

What? When has that ever happened?