Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i have several hundred TB and need to scan it in 1MB chunks and spinny disks are unacceptable for these reasons:

you joke but the reasons actually exist

• operations costs in swapping disks are non-trivial

• raid controller behavior is the primary determinant of spinning rust performance, and also the hardest thing to verify

• enterprise ssd and nvme are only 2-4x the cost of spinning rust in most non-SAN situations, and labor is so expensive nobody gives a drat about paying $20k instead of $12k for a server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
at my current job, my team has stopped using spinning disks and sas entirely

we don't need the performance of nvme drives, but it is just easier to deal with from an organisational point of view. they fail less often than spinning rust, and they don't require a disk controller the way sas ssds did.

does it make sense? not really

do we give a flying gently caress? when it's 20% of the cost of a server that costs fuckall, not really

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you joke but the reasons actually exist

• operations costs in swapping disks are non-trivial

• raid controller behavior is the primary determinant of spinning rust performance, and also the hardest thing to verify

• enterprise ssd and nvme are only 2-4x the cost of spinning rust in most non-SAN situations, and labor is so expensive nobody gives a drat about paying $20k instead of $12k for a server

yes I’m aware that hdds are niche now and their hold isn’t so great even in that niche. but I noticed hdds were not mentioned and hoped the reason was something like cto mandated no more spinny disks after he upgraded his gaming rig and codblops loads so fast now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yes I’m aware that hdds are niche now and their hold isn’t so great even in that niche. but I noticed hdds were not mentioned and hoped the reason was something like cto mandated no more spinny disks after he upgraded his gaming rig and codblops loads so fast now

sometimes the cto does that kind of thing but often the reason is just ordinary organisational friction

i tried to provide an example of the latter case

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in other words, you ain't wrong, kevin. just you ain't right, neither

spinning rust is now a niche thing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

being right is boring

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

i have several hundred TB and need to scan it in 1MB chunks and spinny disks are unacceptable for these reasons:

Because I gotta go fast like sanic instead of reading bits from specs of rust like a dipshit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the real answer is that the storage controllers are the bottleneck. I could do this with SAS drives but the cost per gb of those is the same as cheapo read-optimized SSDs so why bother. My choices are basically to have an array of 10-12 SSDs in RAID5 which are bottlenecked on their SAS links back to the storage controller which is then bottlenecked to 64gpbs on the PCIe lanes since I can only support a single one in all but the quad-socket Dell configs, and the processor and parity calcs on the controller may have overhead as well to slows throughput. Or that entire mess can be replaced with a single NVMe drive on the PCIe bus. And I can load up to 8 of those in to a single 2U which would give me 384gpbs theoretical throughput and the new Epyc platforms can handle that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol Jesus Christ intel get your poo poo together

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol @ calling hdds "spinning rust"

what is it with nerds having to give things they don't like/understand cutesy, embarrassing nicknames?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the real answer is that the storage controllers are the bottleneck. I could do this with SAS drives but the cost per gb of those is the same as cheapo read-optimized SSDs so why bother. My choices are basically to have an array of 10-12 SSDs in RAID5 which are bottlenecked on their SAS links back to the storage controller which is then bottlenecked to 64gpbs on the PCIe lanes since I can only support a single one in all but the quad-socket Dell configs, and the processor and parity calcs on the controller may have overhead as well to slows throughput. Or that entire mess can be replaced with a single NVMe drive on the PCIe bus. And I can load up to 8 of those in to a single 2U which would give me 384gpbs theoretical throughput and the new Epyc platforms can handle that

ty for informative reply to my dumb posts

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Stymie posted:

lol @ calling hdds "spinning rust"

what is it with nerds having to give things they don't like/understand cutesy, embarrassing nicknames?

i dont know. do you have any theories, stymie

pram
Jun 10, 2001
stymie believes that rotational storage is failure free and ssds will delete all data

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i dont know. do you have any theories, stymie

i dunno, but i wish they'd stop because it's tiresome any time you hear "spinning rust" or "crotch droppings" or whatever for the umpteenth time

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

stymie believes that rotational storage is failure free and ssds will delete all data

nah, hdds fail all the time, but less frequently than ssds and the data on ssds isn't deleted, just rendered inaccessible

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like both spinny rust for my large media library as well as SSDs for every single loving thing else of importance even down to negligible importance

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
stymie is the larry the cable guy of "hot" "takes"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Modern hard drives essentially all use cobalt alloys for their magnetic layers anyway, and earlier hard drives with iron-based magnetics used magnetite (Fe3O4), not "rust" (hematite, Fe2O3).

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
nobody cares

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i thought this was a friendly place

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

Modern hard drives essentially all use cobalt alloys for their magnetic layers anyway, and earlier hard drives with iron-based magnetics used magnetite (Fe3O4), not "rust" (hematite, Fe2O3).

:iceburn:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

spinning rust versus swinging tits

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sniep posted:

nobody cares

Face it, you got smoked

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thoughts on backblaze

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thoughts on backblaze

They produce cool reports about hard drive failure rates

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

They produce cool reports about hard drive failure rates

and their product?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thoughts on backblaze

I have been using both their personal machine backup as well as B2 for archival of every lovely picture I ever take.

The personal machine backup software runs and I don’t have to worry about it. Occasionally it emails me to let me know it’s successfully backing up; one time it emailed me to let me know something was wrong. I haven’t needed to do a full restore of everything, but I did spot restore something once and it worked well enough.

B2 I pop in a memory card and a script runs that uses some open source tool to copy to B2 and I don’t have to worry about it.

Both products are priced very reasonably for what I’m getting from them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tk posted:

I have been using both their personal machine backup as well as B2 for archival of every lovely picture I ever take.

The personal machine backup software runs and I don’t have to worry about it. Occasionally it emails me to let me know it’s successfully backing up; one time it emailed me to let me know something was wrong. I haven’t needed to do a full restore of everything, but I did spot restore something once and it worked well enough.

B2 I pop in a memory card and a script runs that uses some open source tool to copy to B2 and I don’t have to worry about it.

Both products are priced very reasonably for what I’m getting from them.

sounds good, i don’t want to spring for a nas to do full machine backup locally

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

this is possibly the most sagebrush post of all time

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thoughts on backblaze

unnecessary

ask yourself: what would be the worst thing that could happen if you lost your data? how long would the repercussions last? would it be better or worse than if you got rid of that data now?

don't be a hoarder

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i just got a job at a startup that just gives me a stipend for tech instead of buying it for me

i think i want a thin client laptop and a lil server box with processing power that i can ssh into whenever i need to do a compute but i havent tried to buy either thing in like ten years so i dont know where to look

newegg seems bad now?? the laptops with good reviews have almost no reviews and the department of homeland security told me Not to buy huaqei anyway

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

instead of doing something weird like that just buy yourself an xps 15 or a macbook pro.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

instead of doing something weird like that just buy yourself an xps 15 or a macbook pro.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

i just got a job at a startup that just gives me a stipend for tech instead of buying it for me

i think i want a thin client laptop and a lil server box with processing power that i can ssh into whenever i need to do a compute but i havent tried to buy either thing in like ten years so i dont know where to look

newegg seems bad now?? the laptops with good reviews have almost no reviews and the department of homeland security told me Not to buy huaqei anyway

no dont do this

if you occasionally need a big load of cpu and ram do a spot request on AWS or w/e

if you need it often then buy the big laptop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah seriously what kind of dumbass plan is that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i just like having a computer in the building so i can do crons and stuff without having to worry about what i'll be connected to, idk

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cloudwatch events scheduled rule -> lambda -> fargate

or skip the container if it's a little thing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i take back what i said about velop. comcast is having an outage and velop wont let me access any of my local devices - nas, etc - without an internet connection. just flashes a red light and the app tells me its offline. dogshit.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sincerely, KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tesla stymie has poor taste in gadgets what a surprise