Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Stanos posted:

Frank Cifaldi was grumbling about some of the initial screenshots and from what I've read it has some minor graphical issues due to the way it scales that show up worse undocked vs docked.

If stuff like that bothers you caveat emptor but I'll probably get it. 30 bucks ain't bad and maybe it'll get some tuning (probably not but I can dream).

Chaz's like

(o_0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I've been using the langauge swap trick to get my roster filled up fast. Would recommend unless you care about other rewards than character unlocks

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rock My Socks! posted:

I just discovered this after getting into Golf Story recently and am legit sad that I missed out on it

As an oversized, perpetually-sweaty hobbyist-gamedev nerd, it pleases me to no end that they coded a to-specs NES game as a small gag in their indie RPG.

Had I the spare cash at the time, I would've got it. As it stands, I did get the physical Golf Story. There are multiple people on my must-be-lent-to list.

The Lobster posted:

Hi goons I, Lobster, am bad at Smash. It is true.

Welcome back, Lobster! I recently saw your namesake movie, The Lobster.

It, um, uhh.

Anyway!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played Smash with my buddy. I'm fairly certain I played this game many years ago on the Wii U but it was fun-ish back then and is fun-ish now. I don't understand the hype.

Now Let's Go Eevee is the real winner of the "game I think I played before but really fucks my poo poo up now" award.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hey i got xb2 since it was on sale; am i remembering right that some of the QOL stuff they've added over the year is a part of the expansion pass?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Gonkish posted:

If only they would port Guardian Heroes and Dragon Force. :allears:

Yes very much this. Dragon Force was the bomb and the arena mode in Guardian Heroes was a fun game all by itself.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I play Smash Ultimate entirely on the Switch Pro controller. It's not bad for it at all. Personally though I did a bit of rebinding, swapped shield and grab (Shield is now R1 instead of R2 - I don't know the nintendo names)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is that Joycon a launch one? It might be having reception issues that required a fix from Nintendo.

I have one Joycon that randomly drops out when I play wireless. The more annoying part is it drops inputs, not the connection. So for stuff like smash you'll shield and it just won't and you die. I played so much smash the other day my controller died and had to charge and I tried 2 wireless Joycons and oof

Handheld works fine, but I play smash terribly on handheld. Something about that game means the tiniest difference in controller shape destroys all of my muscle memory and I become very bad

Smash is unironically my game of the year already

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

Yes very much this. Dragon Force was the bomb and the arena mode in Guardian Heroes was a fun game all by itself.

Guardian Heroes + online multiplayer on the Switch. GIVE THIS TO ME.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thanks guys!

And hello Hammer Bro.! :wave:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Quick note for all of you, Best Buy is running a sale on Switch games. The details are here.

The one that got me was digital Octopath for $49.99.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How garbage is online Smash without a wired connection?

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Don't let Kirby eat Pacman unless you want to see the true face of evil, pointy Pac man nose kirby. Going to give me nightmares.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Andrast posted:

I did local wireless smash with my coworker switch to switch and the lag was pretty bad. I haven't done online yet but I was watching a streamer with a wired connection play a bit and even he was getting massive lag spikes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

From what I've heard it's peer to peer which means "it depends on the connection of your opponent" :sigh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrast posted:

Just depends on who you get matched up with. It’s been fine for me, not perfect but better than on Wii U on average.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Your Computer posted:

From what I've heard it's peer to peer which means "it depends on the connection of your opponent" :sigh:

For 1v1s, a server would actually make things worse since there's a middle man it has to go through in that case.

For more than that, peer to peer wouldn't exactly be ideal, admittedly. One person can end up dragging down the whole room. Though people having terrible internet can't completely be fixed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

People say the net code is terrible and it might be but I have very low expectations for online in smash

The one good thing I’ve noticed so far is it seems to be locally matching me up with people because I see a lot of Arabic names despite my region being set to the US for the eshop. Lots of games will put you against us players if you do that

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

For 1v1s, a server would actually make things worse since there's a middle man it has to go through in that case.

For more than that, peer to peer wouldn't exactly be ideal, admittedly. One person can end up dragging down the whole room. Though people having terrible internet can't completely be fixed.

I guess that makes sense. I know very little about this stuff, I guess stuff like netcode and sanity checking is more important then? I just know I've had much better experiences with stuff that has dedicated servers, like I can play Overwatch perfectly but Dark Souls PvP is always a mess when I forget to play in offline mode. I assume that's because while Overwatch has dedicated servers nearby (or at least in a nearby country), Dark Souls will happily connect me peer to peer with some bloke on 56k on the other side of the world :v:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Friend's young adult offspring were taking about their nostalgia of smash brothers and I'm like oh you mean the game that was nostalgia bait for my generation :corsair:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brother Entropy posted:

hey i got xb2 since it was on sale; am i remembering right that some of the QOL stuff they've added over the year is a part of the expansion pass?

As far as I remember no it’s all free patches for QOL. The only thing the pass gets you is quests, characters and Torna.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The difficulty sliders are pass only as well iirc, but by and large the rest of it is available to everyone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

Friend's young adult offspring were taking about their nostalgia of smash brothers and I'm like oh you mean the game that was nostalgia bait for my generation :corsair:

Yeah Melee is 17 years old, it is older than the games it was referencing at the time

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brother Entropy posted:

Mainly the auto battle option, the enemy aggression toggle, and the wide variety of difficulty settings is part of the expansion pass. However some of the QOL options like the map changes and an easy mode and NG+ are part of the base game

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah Melee is 17 years old, it is older than the games it was referencing at the time

As someone who only got to play the original smash it's been fun trying to get used to it again.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just looked up a couple of these

Super Smash 64 came out in 1999

-Pokemon Red and Blue came out in 1996 in Japan, 98 in the US, most people had only known about it for a year
-Earthbound came out in 1994 - 5 years
-F Zero came out in 1990 - 9 years
-Zelda: 1986, 13 years
-Super Mario Bros 1: 1985, 14 years

You know what came out 14 years ago? Metroid Prime 2. Dark Samus in Ultimate is as old of a reference as Mario was in Smash 64.

Mokinokaro posted:

As someone who only got to play the original smash it's been fun trying to get used to it again.

Are you liking it? I would imagine at this point like, 0 knowledge transfers over

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are you liking it? I would imagine at this point like, 0 knowledge transfers over

A lot though some of the difficulty spikes in World of Light are crazy. gently caress that Kapp'n stage with Iggy.

Also didn't help it took around a dozen unlocks before I found characters that really clicked for me (Peach and Inkling)

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Does matchmaking on NSO still stay region free? Meaning if I’m on a US account can I still play smash against people in Asia?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

A lot though some of the difficulty spikes in World of Light are crazy. gently caress that Kapp'n stage with Iggy.

Also didn't help it took around a dozen unlocks before I found characters that really clicked for me (Peach and Inkling)
Are you watching the power levels and making use of spirits to counter hazards? A lot of the fights in World of Light aren't meant to be fought right away. Very early on you'll encounter stuff that's over 9000 when your spirits are barely 2000 or have hazards like the Kapp'n one that make things really difficult, but you're supposed to leave them for later when you have what you need to counter them (whether that's more powerful spirits or ones that negate effects). If something seems way too difficult it's a good hint that you should try one of the half a dozen other paths available to you!

I've heard of people spending hours slamming their head against these fights to much frustration when they could've just... walked around them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I am. I even have spirits that somewhat counter that fight's gimmicks.

I just wanted to see what's in the lake but it'll probably need to wait a bit longer.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any of the indie titles on sale worth getting? I looked at into the breach and have enough money I could probably get two or three depending on cost.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Two years ago:

Today:
https://twitter.com/edgeonline/status/1071751346288775179

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 9, 2018

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

Any of the indie titles on sale worth getting? I looked at into the breach and have enough money I could probably get two or three depending on cost.

I finally gave in to thread pressure and got Celeste. It’s insanely charming. Even has an assist mode for scrubs like me if I get to a segment I absolutely cannot pass. Even though my death count is skyrocketing, I am having a blast so I haven’t used it yet.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

This is my first Smash game because I'm not really into fighting games. How the hell do I play? There's no tutorial or anything. I don't know what I'm even doing during the fights or how to pull off moves

mliecah
Apr 17, 2011

bonerchamp

a7m2 posted:

This is my first Smash game because I'm not really into fighting games. How the hell do I play? There's no tutorial or anything. I don't know what I'm even doing during the fights or how to pull off moves

I second this. What is a good resource to learn strategies besides the in game tips? I am getting frustrating losing my unlock battles time after time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There's an in-game tips section you can read up on that teaches you a lot of stuff, and then you can take anyone you like into training mode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smash for dummies:
Go nuts on the right stick if anyone comes near you

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There is a "How to Play" video in the Movie section of the Vault. It's basically the same that it's been since Smash Bros. 64.

- You have your basic attacks on the A button and your special attacks on the B button
- Most characters have similar basic attacks (hence the name) while their special attacks differ wildly except for Up+B which is used as a way to get back on stage if you get knocked off
- The most important concept in Smash is tapping (smashing) the stick. It's how you run and it's how you do smash attacks (tap stick in direction + A)
- With your basic attacks it's as simple as direction + A button and you'll attack in that direction whether you're in the air or on the ground
- Use the training mode to find out what the different special attacks for your character do (Up+B, Side+B, Down+B)
- Actually just use the training mode in general to get used to how your character moves and attacks
- :siren: Go into the controller settings and turn off stick jumping, jump by using X/Y :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10mA9NR7yLA

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

teacup posted:

I’ve been playing smash and I’ve realised with so many fire emblem fighters I’ve never really gotten into the series. Is the switch one any good? Does it have the smash characters in it? I like strategy games and played a lot of FFTA, advance wars and disgaea. I’m mainly scared of it being dumb anime titty poo poo which sometimes disgaea got close to but not bad enough I guess.

I'm sorry you're scared of Japanese animation but the mainline games are some of the best strategy games out there, better than Disgaea in my opinion.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You can smash with A+B now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Just beat my husband's high score in Smash Classic using Zero Suit Samus... intensity 8.4... when he wakes up he's got a rude surprise waitin for him. :a2m:

(She's actually really fun to play as if you tend to fall off maps a lot -- she has a grappling move and a lot of aerial movement, so it's easy to recover if you goof up and find yourself plummeting to your doom.)

a7m2 posted:

I am a casual player and others are going to have better advice, but here is what I have done so far. Look at link below and memorize the controls; I don't remember seeing this screen when I booted up the game, but it helped me figure out what I was doing:

https://www.shacknews.com/article/108875/controls-and-configurations-in-super-smash-bros-ultimate

Most of your attacks are going to be some combination of the left analog stick and A (normal attack) or B (special attack). Experiment with it and get comfortable with how your character moves and what their range is. You don't need to worry about pressing A + A + A + B + B or any combos like that to my knowledge, just the analog in one direction plus A or B. Holding A or B will do a charged up attack. Pressing B once when your meter is full (look at the rainbow bar under your portrait) WITHOUT TOUCHING THE ANALOG will trigger your ultimate. The rest is pretty self explanatory, I think, once you see the controls.

I really recommend playing through Classic mode first, it's under the blue menu in the upper right. You can set the difficulty via the intensity bar and play at your own pace vs. the computer. If you lose a fight, the intensity will go down and it will get easier (vice versa if you win), so it adjusts on the fly to how you're playing.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 9, 2018