Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

ElectricSheep posted:

long dog racing officially done in FL by 2020

https://www.local10.com/news/elections/florida-constitutional-amendments

and now for Dash dressed as Elvis for halloween

He ain't nuthin but a hound dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DarkHorse posted:

He ain't nuthin but a hound dog

But does he cry all the time?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Brought Jake and Barley to an outdoor festival. We ran into another greyhound. The dogs all seemed so smart and active, with how they just stood next to each other, and well... ok that’s all they did was stand there and breathe.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/tracysaur/status/1060181686997172224

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty has been really sick with bloody diarrhea. Hoping it's just a clostridium infection and not HGE. He's been acting mostly ok, just pooping problems luckily, but if things don't improve he might need to be hospitalized :(

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

You beat me to it!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Sparty has been really sick with bloody diarrhea. Hoping it's just a clostridium infection and not HGE. He's been acting mostly ok, just pooping problems luckily, but if things don't improve he might need to be hospitalized :(

:ohdear: Hope he feels better soon! Give him a hug from Gello and us.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

DarkHorse posted:

Poor Sparty! I hope he’s OK soon.

Maybe try giving him some spoonfuls of plain pumpkin purée to bind the poo up a little?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Sending good vibes to Sparty and you!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

number 1 snake fan posted:

You beat me to it!

Got a note from my local rescue that the Texas farms are starting releasing brood mamas and pups to rescue groups. Here's crossing fingers that this transition(FL shutting down racing) is as smooth as possible.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Reese and his cat buddy Mo hope Sparty gets better soon too!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've wanted to adopt a greyhound for years now but I've currently got a couple of pound mutts. I'm thinking about putting in an application with a local a greyhound adoption agency. I'm fairly close to Florida and I feel like there may be more dogs who need homes over the next couple of years or so.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoodBee posted:

I've wanted to adopt a greyhound for years now but I've currently got a couple of pound mutts. I'm thinking about putting in an application with a local a greyhound adoption agency. I'm fairly close to Florida and I feel like there may be more dogs who need homes over the next couple of years or so.

You should! Greyhounds get along great with other dogs in my experience, and having some friends already can help some dogs transition off the track.
Thanks for all the well wishes! Sparty has stopped with the diarrhea mostly, and is enjoying his soft mushy prescription food with rice and all the people worried about him

This is his sick face:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Clarification from a Floridian: dog racing wasn't banned, but gambling on it was - the midterms saw a general move to cracking down on gambling in the state.

Granted, shutting down gambling on dog racing probably will kill the practice in the state.

On the other hand, lurking in this thread let me persuade my grandparents to look into rescuing a greyhound here in Florida. :) Their current dog is getting old, and they wanted something other than a golden retriever this time. They'd never heard of adopting retired racers, and thought greyhounds were 24/7 bundles of hyperactive energy. My grandmother told me yesterday that they're pretty sure they'll look into a greyhound when their current dog passes.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I love my goofy skinny dogs. :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

I love my goofy skinny dogs. :3:

Me too :kimchi:

Sparty update: he's back to his normal bouncy self. Seems like it was a Clostridium infection of some kind, because the antibiotics and probiotics seem to have cleared it up.

I'm sure the rice and pumpkin helped, though.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

Sparty update: he's back to his normal bouncy self. Seems like it was a Clostridium infection of some kind, because the antibiotics and probiotics seem to have cleared it up.

yay Sparty! Glad to hesr he is doing better

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Glad to hear he's doing well. Dogs like Sparty should always be bouncy and cheerful and never sick. (And have tons of goofy videos of them posted on the internet)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello friends, please enjoy an Abby picture from today. And yes that's her giant pillow next to her that she is failing to lie on

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

"Is that a vacuum I hear in the hallway?? I hate vacuums"

(also please note my cool greyhound color chart from the early 20th century)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

There was an extra waffle after breakfast:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Abby :swoon:
Tess :swoon:
I forget your other dog’s name Genovera :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love seeing everyone's hounds! It's the best present, in my opinion, so in that spirit: Time for another Sparty photo dump!

It's cold now, so that means lots of cuddling

Very cuddling

It is quite exhausting

Happy holidays from Sparty!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Our whippet Mr. Tubbs in a dignified repose:

Getting much more patient with the baby (now toddler). Lots of praise when she pets him and he's not so nervous around her anymore:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

excellent t-rexing with a textbook snaggletooth smile. good job mr tubbs

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I love seeing everyone's hounds! It's the best present, in my opinion.

You asked for it.

Gello in a not-a-pool-of-blood

Gello in the flowers

Ears

Gello patiently waiting for a walk

Gello and buddies

Biffday dog

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
:neckbeard:

Gello is a very handsome jackal/bicycle seat

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
No offense, but photos of hounds being off-leash outdoors always make me a little nervous. The idea is that when a grey decides to run after something, they are so fast that they are out of earshot within 3-4 seconds. I think we actually signed something with AAGI that said we wouldn’t have them off leash in a non-enclosed area ever. But if your hounds have good recall and stick around you consistently, by all means, let them enjoy freedom :)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I've heard the same horror stories about greyhounds running away and then getting lost, but in our case we're either walking in a large group of people and dogs which tend to stick quite close to us, or we're walking in areas she knows quite well. It also helps that she thinks recall is a great excuse to run back at great speed.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

THOSE EARS!!!! :kimchi:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

We're on holiday and Gello is making friends with the locals.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a way I can get Abby interested in toys again? Because she doesn't give a gently caress.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

An act in four parts:

He was like this a good ten minutes

Milky Joe
Feb 21, 2007

Comin atcha like a beam, like a ray, like a rooster, like a goose trapped in the rafters of a barn in Shropshire

Meet Mabel. We adopted her a week ago after reading this thread and I’m so glad we did. She really is the best dog and, so far, seems to be settling in well, spending most of her time sleeping or slumped against us. Best dog ever :)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Mabel looks like a sweetheart. I hope you don’t miss your sofa, it is hers now

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Got Remy's teeth cleaned recently, and they had to remove several. I tried for a while to work down the buildup but after a certain point it was just untouchable. Was very much $$$, but had to be done, and he's no longer scratching at his teeth.

Here's Remy looking at me sadly, upset that the couch is occupied:

Immediately after moving my bag:

Lhet fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 28, 2018

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Congratulations on new dog and post-op dog

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh my gosh Mabel is gorgeous :swoon:

Glad to hear Remy is doing better!

Spartacus is doing a weird thing where he insists on being pressed against my leg, then growls when I have the audacity to fidget or move at all. He was also being growly and grumbly in his sleep :kimchi:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

don’t want to sound too weird but does any of y’alls long bois just smell absolutely amazing? I could huff bonnie’s neck all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lately Spartacus has just smelled vaguely of pee because he keeps going to the same post and dumping like a racehorse so it's a disgusting muddy mess all the time :shrug: this despite wiping his feet and toes every time

Outside that he has a pleasant neutral scent