Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
If you went with the Sitchin thing and used Sumerian god names for the Antes, someone could get like 2/3rds into a conversation about Noddism with that character before realizing he was Malkavian, which is a good benchmark for successful Malk concepts.

Xinder posted:

still waiting for my chance to make a weeb vampire from some bloodline that has a unique discipline so he can "use my bloodline technique"

See, my first thought here was the Macellarius. (Wiki quote "It grants the Macellarius digestive abilities far beyond those of mortals.")

Five Eyes fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Ever since I noticed that the Quick Draw merit lets you not only draw but sheathe/holster weapons as a reflexive action and realized that giving that to a ghoul or vampire with Celerity means that they can spend a blood point to flash-step up to someone (Ref), draw a katana (Ref), attack (instant), and sheathe their blade (Ref) for LIGHT SPEED IAJUTSU ANIME ATTACK, that knowledge has been lurking in the back of my mind like some sort of dark curse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My favorite Malkavian was one who had the Derangement from the Rev clanbook where the ST could essentially also spend my character's blood points. She got to pass as 'the normal one' and kind of rose to prominence as a clan representative (not Primogen, but the person who told the Primogen things so even better) because nothing she did was terribly obviously 'crazy.' Save for the odd inexplicable Hunger Frenzy or potentially Masqeurade-breaching displays of strength.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I ever replay Masquerade, my next concept is a Malkavian who believes the antedeluvians were actually ancient aliens and that vampirism is actually a bioweapon.

I had a DtF Devil with low ranks in whatever the background was that let you recall stuff who, in fact, was convinced that they and everyone else were just ancient aliens. It did not last long.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

citybeatnik posted:

I had a DtF Devil with low ranks in whatever the background was that let you recall stuff who, in fact, was convinced that they and everyone else were just ancient aliens. It did not last long.
The big problem with "Patient Zero is Caine and we all have the hyperdimensional T-Virus" is that at a certain point your derangement becomes "Nags Everyone About My Unified Field Theory," because very few of the day to day details would be any different.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Mors Rattus posted:

The best part: they're Mekhet. They don't actually get any of the physical boosters in the first place.

That's not the best part (and they do get one of the boosters, they get Celerity).

The best part is that their bloodline bane is an inability to sustain a mental thrall on a given person for too long. Any of their mental illusions, including Dominate, Majesty, Obfuscate, and their unique Devotions, builds up a tolerance over time, until the particular victim becomes immune to the Player's illusions. So you keep pulling your hissatsu blood ougi sword tricks to impress people, and at first it's really cool and bewitching, and then eventually you're doing your impractical sword flips again and the kine roll their eyes and say "We've seen it a million times already Carl. You're just flipping and twirling it around anyway, I could do that." And then you have to find a new crowd of people who don't know you and do your flips in front of them.

The Players are unironically the best bloodline. Everything about them is hilariously pathetic in a way that is actually completely thematic and appropriate for the Kindred.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 7, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nessus posted:

The big problem with "Patient Zero is Caine and we all have the hyperdimensional T-Virus" is that at a certain point your derangement becomes "Nags Everyone About My Unified Field Theory," because very few of the day to day details would be any different.

Well, yeah, the actual derangement would be Paranoia, like all good conspiracy theorists.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Five Eyes posted:

See, my first thought here was the Macellarius. (Wiki quote "It grants the Macellarius digestive abilities far beyond those of mortals.")

quote:

The vampires of this lineage begin to grow larger upon inclusion into the bloodline. Their flesh swells and distends as the dead fat within the body multiplies painfully. The vampire, over the course of three nights, gains an additional 100 to 150 pounds upon her frame. With each passing year, they become even more obese.

this tracks

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I've been reading Seers of the Throne and wanted to bring this up, even though it's from a bit back. Someone mentioned the part where Unity is on its way out as Mammon ascends, and how dated that makes the book. But under the same Ministry's entry there's also this:

quote:

The Tethered Staves: The Tethered Staves are the classic Roman fasces. It’s fitting, because the Instrument is fascism, pure and simple. To employ the Instrument, a hegemon backs an elite class to control resources and political power. These leaders warn everyone else against ideological or cultural “impurity” or “decadence.” They give the threat a face: an internal minority or foreign group. This Instrument fell out of favor from World War II to the end of the 20th century. Seers in those days believed Sleepers wouldn’t fall for it so easily after the war. Hegemons now believe that people are as naïve as ever. In fact, the Instrument may work better now, because people believe that they can readily identify and counter fascism, even as they ignorantly warm to its tenets.

So, y'know.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Always fun when my elfgames accurately predict how things are going to get worse and stupider worldwide.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So are we as in the dark as originally about what White Wolf is going to look like/do and who is in/out?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
white wolf is basically being turned into an ip jar iirc, further titles in the new old world of darkness are up in the air as far as i know but if they continue im going to assume its gonna be contracted out

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm not sure the disposition of White Wolf actually had all that much to do with edgelording too hard, and more just them Skarka'ing themselves into oblivion with dreams of transmedia. It seems like Ericsson is still going to be involved near the top anyway, so I assume he gets to remain ~Lead Storyteller~ and dictate the broad shape of the thing. But they were, allegedly, already going to be licensing most stuff from here on out (which was always the plan, they just never talked about it before the transmedia empire started crumbling around them). I imagine in the future we'll mostly see stuff from Onyx Path and maybe one or two other companies, and the major difference between this and a timeline where WW didn't shoot off both their feet is that we'll hopefully be seeing less of Mark Rein-Hagen.

I expect Onyx Path and maybe one other company will either knock a few books out of the park and resuscitate the game, or put out some books that are mediocre or even great but fail to relight the fire, and the game line sputters out in a year or two.

Really, for the most part all we can do is wildly speculate for now. Even after whatever the next two or three years brings, we'll still probably lack key information that makes for more than barely-educated guesses.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 7, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder how earnest the transmedia empire attempts were besides getting people to fill out the Netflix form of 'hey you guys need the World of Darkness documentary.'

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I do feel it’s worth mentioning that Sweden has actual labor laws and might not be able to just fire Ericcson. I’m hoping his influence gets greatly reduced moving forward but it’s hard to say.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shams Jorjani at least is putting on a show of taking this stuff seriously, and may actually be taking it seriously - I want to believe he's a decent fella.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Tollymain posted:

i mean, this is still a true thing, waiting for you to exploit

I've got 4-5 major plot points left to wrap up before this game draws to a close, and I don't see them returning to the house at this point. They're definitely at "Can't Go Home Again" levels of "Realizing how corrupt the entire Clan is" and I'm definitely imagining they all kind of walk off into the sunset once the final reveal hits.
(I talked to an actuary friend of mine and they're doing some ballpark estimates on the total amount of damage the players inflicted upon the countryside, including bulldozing a police building and accidentally razing a minimall.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So in order to better understand what I'm reading in all these first edition Awakening books, I'm slogging through parts of the old first edition core and while I'm pretty sure I've complained before about Awakening 1E's sidebars…just, just look at this poo poo:

oh my god

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Still not as bad as that one page that was laid out diagonally

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Wasn't the original also blue?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I remember trying to read Awakening in poor lighting. gold and silver font on grey background = gently caress you

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I remember really wanting to like Geist 1e because it actually used a legible font and a sensible layout.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

So in order to better understand what I'm reading in all these first edition Awakening books, I'm slogging through parts of the old first edition core and while I'm pretty sure I've complained before about Awakening 1E's sidebars…just, just look at this poo poo:

oh my god

It can't be overstated how bad introduction to the system was Awakening 1E main book. The thing that made me actually like this setting was reading Broken Diamond and Soul Cage APs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

For me it was Secrets of the Ruined Temple, the first non-core Awakening book I bought.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

oh my god

Mage: The Sidebar

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've never bounced off a game as hard as I did the 1E Awakening book. Mummy came close, though. (Still at least I understood Mummy, even if I thought it was super-narrow in scope and I didn't want to play it.)

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'm definitely imagining they all kind of walk off into the sunset once the final reveal hits.

...and promptly catch flame.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So I was skimming my Hunter core just a few minutes ago, and I stumbled on a couple of hilarious bits of art.

Apparently Lil Wayne is an Ascending One.

Also this is straight up Dante from Devil May Cry

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I loving love the "oh it's just Dante" one. I'm not a fan of those games even. I dunno, some / most of my appreciation is absolutely in the so-bad-its-good camp. I also admire the chutzpah of just putting loving Dante in there, like if one of the signature mage characters was clearly John Constantine or something. If I wanted to be a little pointlessly intellectual about it (which, I'm posting here, so obviously) I could say it's a commentary on the way a lot of the genesis of PCs is just stealing something from other media, but in the playing they become their own thing. Like if you played a hunter game being "yeah I'm actually just Dante" is fine but by session two or three he'll eventually turn into his own character by necessity and that's cool and good and we should support that style of play, not everyone needs to have a thirty page backstory before they show up for the first session.

but mostly i just like it because it's just clearly Dante and that's funny as gently caress

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The best part is that it’s the loving boxart, not even something obscure from a manual or something.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The art for Task Force VALKYRIE has the pulse rifle from Aliens.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Digital Osmosis posted:

If I wanted to be a little pointlessly intellectual about it (which, I'm posting here, so obviously) I could say it's a commentary on the way a lot of the genesis of PCs is just stealing something from other media, but in the playing they become their own thing. Like if you played a hunter game being "yeah I'm actually just Dante" is fine but by session two or three he'll eventually turn into his own character by necessity and that's cool and good and we should support that style of play, not everyone needs to have a thirty page backstory before they show up for the first session.

I have absolutely lived this experience, and it's not a bad way to play these games sometimes. I kicked off my Scion character by starting from "hell with it, how do you make a relic lightsaber, I'm just playing Travis Touchdown."

But in the case of Dante the hunter, it could also be, and is, that the artist contracted out for these pieces just plagiarized with a bunch of lightboxing and White Wolf/CCP didn't notice until the book was out.

(One of my favorites from the old rpgnet rumor threads collected into World of Darkness: Rumors was this kid from the Innocents thread: "Dante from Devil May Cry is real!!! He works at the Quick Stop. He hit a huge!!!!! bug with a hammer and it exploded with blood.")

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 9, 2018

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Digital Osmosis posted:

I loving love the "oh it's just Dante" one. I'm not a fan of those games even. I dunno, some / most of my appreciation is absolutely in the so-bad-its-good camp. I also admire the chutzpah of just putting loving Dante in there, like if one of the signature mage characters was clearly John Constantine or something. If I wanted to be a little pointlessly intellectual about it (which, I'm posting here, so obviously) I could say it's a commentary on the way a lot of the genesis of PCs is just stealing something from other media, but in the playing they become their own thing. Like if you played a hunter game being "yeah I'm actually just Dante" is fine but by session two or three he'll eventually turn into his own character by necessity and that's cool and good and we should support that style of play, not everyone needs to have a thirty page backstory before they show up for the first session.

but mostly i just like it because it's just clearly Dante and that's funny as gently caress

It's mostly a commentary on how the art director for the book wasn't familiar with DMC (or familiar enough to catch it) and after it came to light what happened in a huge thread on RPGnet, White Wolf (I think it was still White Wolf CCP at the time?) said they'd never contract that artist again.

And like yeah, your reasoning is…pretty okay as an approach to putting art in a book. Maybe not so great for Hunter in particular. But, like, an interpretation of Dante, even if it's clearly that, and not, you know, a straight-up trace-job, which is what it was.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Didn't there end up being a lawsuit that WW lost.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

The art for Task Force VALKYRIE has the pulse rifle from Aliens.

I caught that too.

The Dante thing struck me as just odd because, well it's not what I expected to see there.

Lil Wayne, Ascending One is my favorite bit of weird art related to WoD that I've seen yet. Better than the Mage: The Ascension storyteller screen and I thought surely that was the single greatest thing I'd seen.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Hostile V posted:

The only WW lawsuits I remember are the Camarilla one and the Underworld one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hostile V posted:

I think they just fired the guy or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think they just fired the guy or something.
There were a couple of little details in the original Exalted 3e art, like Chejop Kejak the cosmic star exalt conspiracy man just having Age of Empires on one of his screens seeing panes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So I managed to get my hands on the WoD documentary and I'm only in the intro and it's so loving try hard already. I can't even make it five minutes in without laughing at how intensely 90s the intro itself is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Getting into C:tL and it's a really awesome read so far, but a few questions:

What are True Fae supposed to be like? The book goes out of it's way to explain how inscrutable and weird their motivations are, and the only tangible stuff I've caught is in the section of exiles, where we learn that Fae who fall in love with mortals or get obsessed with mortal values get thrown out for being boring. I'd like to write a campaign that involves breaking into Arcadia and getting something or someone out, but it's a bit hard to conceive what the Fae are like, I find.

How old could the oldest living Changelings be? Can an exiled Fae live forever in our world given high enough Wyrd?

I reckon Pledges are integral to C:tL and provide the impetus for a really efficient storytelling device in themselves, but I've found it a little hard to come up with good ways to use them in a chronicle. Can you all share some pledge-driven plots that you have used?