Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking for a comal to cook tortillas on. I have a cast iron griddle but whenever I cook tortillas it leaves a lot of carbon on the pan (I'm probably cooking them wrong) and it makes it hard to use to cook eggs

Should I just get a cheap lodge cast iron griddle? The lodge 10.5" round is only $15 on Amazon. Other options might be a carbon steel pan, which might be nice.

Any thoughts on a pan to cook tortillas in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm looking for a comal to cook tortillas on. I have a cast iron griddle but whenever I cook tortillas it leaves a lot of carbon on the pan (I'm probably cooking them wrong) and it makes it hard to use to cook eggs

Should I just get a cheap lodge cast iron griddle? The lodge 10.5" round is only $15 on Amazon. Other options might be a carbon steel pan, which might be nice.

Any thoughts on a pan to cook tortillas in?

Not sure if this is a hot take or whatever but have you considered using cheaper nonstick T-fal or equivalent for the eggs and not stressing about the carbon on the pan? For me the price of a cast iron is inconsequential relative to the storage space concern of having extra poo poo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tortilla cooking intrinsically burns off seasoning, cuz the dryness

what peeps did hundreds of years ago was earthenware over direct flame

you could try enamelled cast iron in lieu of that. worked better than i expected for me. can't really use dutch oven, gotta use enamelled cast iron shallow casserole, don't use lid, get it hot before starting

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
The Instant Pot Ultra 6qt is on sale at Hudson's Bay for 129 CAD... but Amazon.ca has it for 119 CAD. I'm tempted, but I don't know if I cook enough for it to be worth buying. Thoughts?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Canuck-Errant posted:

The Instant Pot Ultra 6qt is on sale at Hudson's Bay for 129 CAD... but Amazon.ca has it for 119 CAD. I'm tempted, but I don't know if I cook enough for it to be worth buying. Thoughts?

get a stovetop pressure cooker

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's convenient enough that you'd probably just cook more once you get it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

bamhand posted:

It's convenient enough that you'd probably just cook more once you get it.

Electric pressure cookers’ thing of “dump a bunch of poo poo in a pot, press button, eat food 20 minutes later” is really, really nice.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Electric pressure cookers’ thing of “dump a bunch of poo poo in a pot, press button, eat food 20 minutes later” is really, really nice.

yeah i love my stovetop pressure cooker but you can't just like, throw food in it and safely totally ignore it in the way that makes electric ones so convenient

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It also replaces a slow cooker and a rice maker, if you don't use the pressure cooker functionality much. That said, I don't see much reason to get the ultra over the cheaper models

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone have the “fixed” recipe for making rice in an instant pot?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

they updated the main website iirc

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

It also replaces a slow cooker and a rice maker, if you don't use the pressure cooker functionality much. That said, I don't see much reason to get the ultra over the cheaper models

In this case the Ultra went lower in price than even the Duos; 3Camels has it as the lowest price offered on Amazon.ca.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

From memory I think it's 1:1 with a splash extra. I even do it that way on the stove now. But yeah, if you check the website they have it.

Canuck-Errant posted:

... I don't know if I cook enough for it to be worth buying. Thoughts?

If not, you will. It's stupidly easily to use and pretty much foolproof.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Is the KitchenAid Professional 500 Series Stand Mixer an acceptable mixer to buy?

This seems like a good deal at $200 and I'm not really wanting to spend $350+ on the 600 since I know nothing about mixers.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitchenaid-kv25g0xsl-professional-500-series-stand-mixer-silver/4659801.p?skuId=4659801

It will be a gift.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

zenintrude posted:

Is the KitchenAid Professional 500 Series Stand Mixer an acceptable mixer to buy?

This seems like a good deal at $200 and I'm not really wanting to spend $350+ on the 600 since I know nothing about mixers.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitchenaid-kv25g0xsl-professional-500-series-stand-mixer-silver/4659801.p?skuId=4659801

It will be a gift.

That is an awesome price for full-metal gear construction. Jump on that.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

It’s an awesome price, but be aware that it’s a lift-bowl style and not a tilt-head style. For some reason that’s a deal breaker for certain people.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

plester1 posted:

It’s an awesome price, but be aware that it’s a lift-bowl style and not a tilt-head style. For some reason that’s a deal breaker for certain people.

I'm all about that bowl-lift life, personally. One fewer mechanism to break or wear out, and have you ever seen cooking videos where they use the tilt-head mixer and there's some obvious play in the tilting area that shimmies a little while the mixer works? That's mixing energy that's not making its way into whatever's in the bowl, which not only makes mixing whatever you're making take longer, but also accelerates the wear in the tilt mechanism. Bowl-lift all day for me.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I'm all about that bowl-lift life, personally. One fewer mechanism to break or wear out, and have you ever seen cooking videos where they use the tilt-head mixer and there's some obvious play in the tilting area that shimmies a little while the mixer works? That's mixing energy that's not making its way into whatever's in the bowl, which not only makes mixing whatever you're making take longer, but also accelerates the wear in the tilt mechanism. Bowl-lift all day for me.

I love my bowl-lift Pro 600 also, but some people I know just can’t abide it for some reason. :shrug:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren't all the pros bowl lift? Personally I think it's better than tilt head, but I thought if you wanted the all metal gearbox and whatnot you had to get the lift bowl.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah there’s a few tiltys with metal gearboxes but you have to read around to see which ones, like mine (an Ultra Power)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Any toaster recommendations?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I bought my wife a Kitchen Aid stand mixer a year ago and now want some "manly" attachments for it. Was thinking of getting a beef grinder to make my own burger, but was also considering sausage making. Anyone have some suggestions? Looking for carnivorous suggestions mainly.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

swickles posted:

I bought my wife a Kitchen Aid stand mixer a year ago and now want some "manly" attachments for it. Was thinking of getting a beef grinder to make my own burger, but was also considering sausage making. Anyone have some suggestions? Looking for carnivorous suggestions mainly.

No girly poo poo, got it. How about a gun? I think they make a truck attachment too. If not, I'm sure you can machine something up, Mister Man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Booyah- posted:

If you don’t mind spending a little extra, any of the Breville Smart Ovens is amazing.

swickles posted:

https://www.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-Stainless-Attachment-Designer-KitchenAid/dp/B01DYRLMNE/

Get this one because it’s all steel and the official plastic ones don’t feel as sturdy

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Get this one because it’s all steel and the official plastic ones don’t feel as sturdy manly.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

swickles posted:

have you considered a dildo there is nothing more manly than a dick

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

swickles posted:

You can jam a drill bit in there and huck some nails into the bowl along with some bullets tool time arug ug ug no girly cooking for you let's eat some fuckin gun

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Re, toasters, I bought a Panasonic toaster oven and it does a great job toasting and less well job at pretending to be a general purpose oven. I paid around $70 Black Friday or one of those days. It doesn't take up much space, toasts evenly, so I would recommend it as a toaster.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

No girly poo poo, got it. How about a gun? I think they make a truck attachment too. If not, I'm sure you can machine something up, Mister Man.

KitchenAid Truck-Nuts

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Feenix posted:

KitchenAid Truck-Nuts

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Booyah- posted:

i got a black and decker toaster oven for $25 and it owns

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Posting that fuckin webcomic should be a bannable offense

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
One of my mom's neighbors is moving away and had a tag sale and my mom got a stand mixer pretty cheaply. It's a Kitchen Aid mixer with the model number K45SS. Do you think it's any good?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah it's a good entry level model

i've had my KA classic mixer for a decade and never had to service anything on it

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i got a black and decker toaster oven for $25 and it owns

I bought a Sunbeam extra wide slot one around the same price point last year and it's been perfectly serviceable.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

apparently there are deals currently on the Wirecutter pick:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-toaster/

we splurged on the breville (one of the upgrade picks) and it has been fantastic

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Any recommendations on toaster ovens? It's the only thing I could think of to tell my wife to get me for Xmas but she hates researching things. Anything good in the $100-$150 range?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

FordCQC posted:

Any recommendations on toaster ovens? It's the only thing I could think of to tell my wife to get me for Xmas but she hates researching things. Anything good in the $100-$150 range?

I think you’ll find most of us will recommend the Breville Smart Toaster Oven, or what I went with, another cheap Black n Decker (got it at target on sale, super cheap).

Breville $200

Black n Decker $50

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

FordCQC posted:

I just bought this, it has met my expectations so far. It's toasts evenly in about 2.5 min for light.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB..._pop_d_pd_title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I got a set of non-stick pans for christmas since my old ones are starting to fall apart, but without taking them out of their plastic wrapping I've noticed that the largest pan has an uneven bottom where the center is slightly raised. Getting conflicting information on whether it's supposed to be like that or not. Should it just be level out of the box or is this normal?