Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I've just reached that ruined inn in Mirkwood and I'm already level 65. Is there any point in continuing to do the side-quests, or is it okay for me to just do the story quests?

Depends if you want to do the third epic or not. Personally I had more fun going Mirkwood to Great River and on without dealing with the worst love story ever told through Rohan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

sassassin posted:

Depends if you want to do the third epic or not. Personally I had more fun going Mirkwood to Great River and on without dealing with the worst love story ever told through Rohan.

I figured I'd rather want to complete each of the main story quests, so I'm more curious if skipping out on doing the sidequests of killing 10 spiders will make me 'lose' anything other than legendary item XP and character XP.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

I figured I'd rather want to complete each of the main story quests, so I'm more curious if skipping out on doing the sidequests of killing 10 spiders will make me 'lose' anything other than legendary item XP and character XP.

Occasional titles and such, but other than that not too much honestly. Southern Mirkwood kind of overstayed its welcome for me really.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You'll want to see Dol Guldor at the very least. It's a very atmospheric Tolkien landmark.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Skipping quests never loses you anything long term until Helm's Deep when they tied trait points to each shithouse village that needed its dishes washed.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

You can skip sidequests, but it'll make it harder to get maximum rep if you care about that. There aren't any tasks for Mirkwood, so quests are the only way. You do get a nice horse and some extra LP for getting kindred with all three elf factions.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

As my main's close to hitting level 50, should I start thinking about her Legendaries or have I screwed things up by not starting with that sooner?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

M_Sinistrari posted:

As my main's close to hitting level 50, should I start thinking about her Legendaries or have I screwed things up by not starting with that sooner?

Are you talking legendary weapons and items on the regular servers or the legendary book quests on Anor/Ithil? If the former you just missed out on getting a decent weapon early. I think my guardian didn't get his first until 54 as I did all the quests I could in previous zones before hitting Eregion and Moria. He then traded up for better legendaries throughout Moria. He's my highest at only level 64 and I'm not fully up on them but I think that goes on until closer to 100 when you start sticking with one legendary and pouring everything into improving that. You've got a while before then.

If you mean the legendary books for trait points then it depends on how much humanoid killing you've been doing in Misty Mountains and Angmar. They can take a while to get so it is good to start them as early as you can so you can get page drops while doing other stuff, but you can always just farm for the pages. It will take a bit to finish but shouldn't be too crazy. Even if you've done everything else maybe you can get progress in the raid essence/gold farms around Rift or something.

Either way jump in whenever you're ready, you probably haven't missed much.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

bagrada posted:

Are you talking legendary weapons and items on the regular servers or the legendary book quests on Anor/Ithil? If the former you just missed out on getting a decent weapon early. I think my guardian didn't get his first until 54 as I did all the quests I could in previous zones before hitting Eregion and Moria. He then traded up for better legendaries throughout Moria. He's my highest at only level 64 and I'm not fully up on them but I think that goes on until closer to 100 when you start sticking with one legendary and pouring everything into improving that. You've got a while before then.

If you mean the legendary books for trait points then it depends on how much humanoid killing you've been doing in Misty Mountains and Angmar. They can take a while to get so it is good to start them as early as you can so you can get page drops while doing other stuff, but you can always just farm for the pages. It will take a bit to finish but shouldn't be too crazy. Even if you've done everything else maybe you can get progress in the raid essence/gold farms around Rift or something.

Either way jump in whenever you're ready, you probably haven't missed much.

The weapons since I didn't know about the other. I hadn't given much thought or planning on legendary weapons since I've been levelling sloooooow and figured by the time I'm at where it's a thing to consider, it'll probably get revised a few times. I don't really do the traditional endgame type content and mostly looking at what stuff I'll be needing to keep pace with the standard content.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My first warden didn't get a legendary weapon until 95. It's not a serious issue.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

The weapons since I didn't know about the other. I hadn't given much thought or planning on legendary weapons since I've been levelling sloooooow and figured by the time I'm at where it's a thing to consider, it'll probably get revised a few times. I don't really do the traditional endgame type content and mostly looking at what stuff I'll be needing to keep pace with the standard content.

From 50-100 your legendary weapon doesn't matter that much, just use whatever drops that looks like an upgrade. Once you get to 100 you will want to try to get a 1st age with the best legacies since that will level with you from then on.

Also you can get the quests to get your Legendary around 45 I think, usually advisable to head down to the Gates of Moria in Eregion and grab it then, then you can still finish up questing and go to Moria itself around 50ish.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

For the other, you can earn 3 class trait points for your tree if you buy the 3 books from your class trainer which start 3 deeds to collect missing pages for the points. You have to be 39 to start them but can finish them whenever. Half of the pages drop from enemies in Misty Mountains and half from Angmar. You also get 1 from finishing the item collecting class chain that starts at 45. If you don't want to or can't find groups/help for the third part that requires going to the Urugarth and Carn Dum 6 man dungeons, you can buy the requirements from skirmish camps like the one just outside south Bree for marks instead.

Having just hit level 50 on my lore-master on Anor, there is really a dizzying amount of stuff to do since you are getting all the year and a half of content they added to keep people invested between release and Moria.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

After being on Anor for the last month, I logged onto my 107 on Landroval today and Lordy it’s empty. It also doesn’t help that Udun is an irredeemable slog without having picked flowers for months before release

And yes, I know that it supposedly gets worse so I’m just bracing for that

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Why do people 6 man raids, is it a challenge or loot thing? Saw someone advertising for my class for a 6 man Rift for a while yesterday but I've never run it before so I didn't bite.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

bagrada posted:

Why do people 6 man raids, is it a challenge or loot thing? Saw someone advertising for my class for a 6 man Rift for a while yesterday but I've never run it before so I didn't bite.

My guess is loot to effort ratio, don't need a full group with how easy it is with current class balance but too few is probably too challenging to be worthwhile. Just a guess though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The part of the epic leading up to Golodir's daughter getting fridged is both incredibly tedious to play and involves at least a year of travelling in-universe, despite being written like it's some quick jaunt round the shops.

They stick a combat dungeon in there and it's like 5 enemies and done. It's the laziest padding ever.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

That was pretty annoying. I disliked the Evendim chapters more. I just hit the Forochel set and it's go to the first village, then go to the main city in the far northeast corner, and now go to the dude in the cave in the far northwest corner, and you have to go the long way around. Despite that and the old school questing (kill 20 deer, each fellowship member requiring 3 trips out to the wilds, etc) I kinda dig Forochel. Gotta love questing under the northern lights.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I like Forochel overall, but it's quick travel is severely lacking. I can't remember which route it is, but I definitely recall one location not having a direct quick travel, so you had to spend 5 minutes riding back and forth. And it was one of those places where you would be doing that a lot. At least it had the slow travel option, so you can just do something else for 5 minutes, but it was still really annoying.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I like Forochel overall, but it's quick travel is severely lacking. I can't remember which route it is, but I definitely recall one location not having a direct quick travel, so you had to spend 5 minutes riding back and forth. And it was one of those places where you would be doing that a lot. At least it had the slow travel option, so you can just do something else for 5 minutes, but it was still really annoying.

You're probably talking about Pynti-Peldot which is the in the center-south section of the map. I think it does actually have a quick travel to it, but it is from Ost Forod. Oddly enough though it does not have a fast travel to or from it and Suri-Kyla (the main town in the northeast) or Zigilund (the dwarf fortress in the west).

Also the fast-travel that goes from Suri-Kyla (northest) to Kuru-leiri (northwest) is gated behind a quest chain that starts in Suri-Kyla, as well as a reputation requirement.

So yeah, the fast-travelling in Forochel is pretty borked.

One of my greatest annoyances for a long time with LOTRO in general has been that the stablemaster system does not have a method to mark a path using multiple stables from one destination to another (either automatically or manually) and have it queue up the steps to get you there. While I realize that creating an algorithm to do this automatically would be pretty complex, since it would have to incorporate your known stables and fastest/cheapest path, etc.... they could at the very least implement a way to queue up routes manually on the stable map...

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 13, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

flowinprose posted:

One of my greatest annoyances for a long time with LOTRO in general has been that the stablemaster system does not have a method to mark a path using multiple stables from one destination to another (either automatically or manually) and have it queue up the steps to get you there. While I realize that creating an algorithm to do this automatically would be pretty complex, since it would have to incorporate your known stables and fastest/cheapest path, etc.... they could at the very least implement a way to queue up routes manually on the stable map...

Yeah, it’s dumb that there’s no easy way to tell what connects to what. WoW has had this type of automatic pathing forever and there’s no good lore reason to not implement it here.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't like fast travel and only use it if the quest chain is being really annoying with knocking back and forth, or I've got a double xp tome ticking down. Destroys the illusion of grand adventure.

Most of the time I'm happy to ride/walk and fill in deeds I've missed, as I'm not at all thorough when moving through areas the first time. And who doesn't appreciate a 15 minute auto ride to Rivendell as a chance to sort their gear out?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bagrada posted:

Having just hit level 50 on my lore-master on Anor, there is really a dizzying amount of stuff to do since you are getting all the year and a half of content they added to keep people invested between release and Moria.

So is that why the epic storyline drags out for volume after volume of level 50 quests at the end of Book I, including such classics as "run over to the room next door and talk to this guy" and "get 5 honey, when there's a vendor right in this room who sells it"?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

sassassin posted:

I don't like fast travel and only use it if the quest chain is being really annoying with knocking back and forth, or I've got a double xp tome ticking down. Destroys the illusion of grand adventure.

Most of the time I'm happy to ride/walk and fill in deeds I've missed, as I'm not at all thorough when moving through areas the first time. And who doesn't appreciate a 15 minute auto ride to Rivendell as a chance to sort their gear out?

I've spent enough time in mmos that I appreciate all conveniences and use them whenever reasonable but even I have to admit that I felt bad realizing that the fastest way for me to get from Sarnur to Thorins Gate to turn in quests was to use my milestone to north Angmar, and fast ride to Rivendell then TG.

Edit: judging by the books that's probably months of travel time since the milestone skills imply you go there the long way off-screen.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 13, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Hmm Rohan has been cool so far but I'm getting a bit bored of going from mead hall to mead hall with Nona, Horny, and some elf guy. Good thing I hit 80 so I'll only be here (checks wiki) for 15 more levels :cry:

Does West Rohan get better?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kaysette posted:

Hmm Rohan has been cool so far but I'm getting a bit bored of going from mead hall to mead hall with Nona, Horny, and some elf guy. Good thing I hit 80 so I'll only be here (checks wiki) for 15 more levels :cry:

haha

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Kaysette posted:

If I recall correctly, you are going to need to get your resistances up because the mobs are going to hit a lot harder at first.

West Rohan is definitely a slog, but Gondor is worth it.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

West Rohan and Helm's deep may be the worst parts of the game, but as mentioned from Gondor on is awesome so just push through. I bounced off West Rohan so bad I took a couple year break from the game and only made it through when I had Mordor to look forward to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Great River >>> East Rohan > West Rohan

They wasted years making the same content over and over.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I've kinda stand on my warden at level 30-ish due to leveling my tradeskills, deciding I needed all the other trade skills, and... Yeah.
Problem is, it seemed pretty expensive to level the woodsman professions, but I was told I needed to if I wanted my legendary weapon or whatever.

Was that all wrong, or is there a reasonably low effort way to keep her gear decently nearly up to date?
... Or is there actually no need to worry about any of that, and I should just keep on leveling. Last one would be very comforting, haha, the professions are super boring.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

Great River >>> East Rohan > West Rohan

They wasted years making the same content over and over.

“Years”

I’ve been under the impression that, once East Rohan released, Turbine just dialed it in for LOTRO and spent most of their resources on the stupid MOBA that ended up failing (I’m pretty sure that was a thing, right?). From the repetitive nature of the questing and environment to things like not really fixing mounted combat and stupid long grinds like Hytbold.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Bobfly posted:

I've kinda stand on my warden at level 30-ish due to leveling my tradeskills, deciding I needed all the other trade skills, and... Yeah.
Problem is, it seemed pretty expensive to level the woodsman professions, but I was told I needed to if I wanted my legendary weapon or whatever.

Was that all wrong, or is there a reasonably low effort way to keep her gear decently nearly up to date?
... Or is there actually no need to worry about any of that, and I should just keep on leveling. Last one would be very comforting, haha, the professions are super boring.

Professions are totally optional, only reason to level woodworking is if you want to be self sufficient in creating your level 100 legendary but odds are you can get someone from the kin to craft it for you if/once you get there. I you don't like leveling them just go explorer and sell the mats for golds. Quest rewards and drops are more than enough to be able to keep pace with leveling content.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Cool, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks. I should start playing again then, this game is well charming at its best.

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003

Bobfly posted:

There are a dozen kin members including myself (Dunk) who have over the years maxed out all crafting tiers and are quite happy to make you anything your heart desires, provided you've got a symbol if it's a first age :)
If you don't want to do any crafting, you don't have to.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
That's really kind of you! :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Go historian and make the battle/warding lore scrolls. They make up the difference in mitigations and masteries from being fully geared vs. just quest stuff.

Then when you hit max level buy poo poo on the auction house.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
That makes an awful lot of sense. Historian seemed more difficult to level than the other professions though?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bobfly posted:

That makes an awful lot of sense. Historian seemed more difficult to level than the other professions though?

The scholar resources drop off common enemies and you don't need to master each tier to get worthwhile items out of it. Not had any problems with it on my only legendary server character.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Given the glowing reviews ITT of the rest of Rohan, is there much of a downside to popping my Aria of the Valar then knocking out all the gray epic quests? I got Mordor in the last sale and I don’t plan on playing alts on the regular server. I just want to play through the main plot for my Tolkien fix but I don’t want to screw myself out of cool setpieces and epic content by using the item.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Given the glowing reviews ITT of the rest of Rohan, is there much of a downside to popping my Aria of the Valar then knocking out all the gray epic quests? I got Mordor in the last sale and I don’t plan on playing alts on the regular server. I just want to play through the main plot for my Tolkien fix but I don’t want to screw myself out of cool setpieces and epic content by using the item.

I probably wouldn't, I enjoyed Rohan in general, East Rohan was just too much of the same but going through it once is worthwhile. I'd save the Aria for a fresher character if you have any plans on playing alts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Always do the epic.

Cnidario posted:

“Years”

I’ve been under the impression that, once East Rohan released, Turbine just dialed it in for LOTRO and spent most of their resources on the stupid MOBA that ended up failing (I’m pretty sure that was a thing, right?). From the repetitive nature of the questing and environment to things like not really fixing mounted combat and stupid long grinds like Hytbold.
Yeah, this is completely accurate. Coincidentally, I've been logging on for the last few nights, and the character I'm concentrating on just started in Western Rohan - pretty much the worst content in the entire game. I must really want those extra trait points.