Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Dreylad posted:

he argues like carl benjamin, maybe it's a midlands english thing

the isis recruiter stuff is gross as hell though. retweets for hoping to rape and murder kurdish women fighters!!

When did this happen? Where are thess garbage takes even coming from?

THS posted:

i mean how could they have known he wasn’t affiliated with isis when they didn’t know he was actually a bangladeshi marketing dude lmao

yes, that's why its totally fine to imply BM is knowingly promoting isis, because you aren't being a disingenuous prick at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why do you care so much lol

THS
Sep 15, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

yes, that's why its totally fine to imply BM is knowingly promoting isis, because you aren't being a disingenuous prick at all

i guess in that case it was just incompetence. promoting US intervention in Syria and running cover for air strikes and general imperialism isn’t a question of facts, though, but a question of what values you hold, which in your case are “none” to “really lovely”

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
because you keep posting these poo poo takes about him all over the threads I read

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's CIA and its acceptable to call him such

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

When did this happen? Where are thess garbage takes even coming from?

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/10/mark-ames-shamiwitness-bellingcat-neocons-collaborated-influential-isis-propagandist-twitter.html

THS
Sep 15, 2017

because you keep posting these poo poo takes about him all over the threads I read

if you honestly hadn’t heard of the isis recruiter thing:

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/10/mark-ames-shamiwitness-bellingcat-neocons-collaborated-influential-isis-propagandist-twitter.html

edit: yeah ^^^^^

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

i guess in that case it was just incompetence. promoting US intervention in Syria and running cover for air strikes and general imperialism isn’t a question of facts, though, but a question of what values you hold, which in your case are “none” to “really lovely”

where is this alleged promotion of US intervention from him, in Syria or elsewhere? thanks for the hot take about my values though, guy that knowingly throws out disingenuous accusations about child exploitation and supporting isis

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't blame him at all for selling out because i would straight away

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

THS posted:

brown moses is a disgusting, disingenuous, child exploiting sack of poo poo and i hope he gets cancer

I don't know who that is but this is probably right

THS
Sep 15, 2017

where is this alleged promotion of US intervention from him, in Syria or elsewhere? thanks for the hot take about my values though, guy that knowingly throws out disingenuous accusations about child exploitation and supporting isis

do you read the website and what they focused on re: aleppo and syria or what? you can call people disingenuous and then pretend he’s getting paid by the atlantic council and the state department to put out something without any ideological bent, and just the facts. you know that’s moronic and no one with any awareness of how US state department money and NGOs work should take that naive view seriously

THS has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Dec 9, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

That cooperation was from before that guy became an isis recruiter. But I see why would think otherwise, given that the poo poo framing comes from this article itself written by Mark "“Russian women, especially on the first date, expect you to rape them,” said Mr. Ames. “They’ll go back home with you and say, ‘No, no, no,’ and if you’re an American, you’ve been trained to respect the ‘No,’ because you’re afraid of sexual harassment or date rape, and so you fail over and over. But it took me a while to learn you really have to force Russian girls, and that’s what they want, it’s like a mock rape.'" Ames, a truly stand up guy you want to take your info from.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Hmm this satire is extreme! It’s shocking!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

do you read the website and what they focused on re: aleppo and syria or what? you can call people disingenuous and then pretend he’s getting paid by the atlantic council and the state department to put out something without any ideological bent, and just the facts. you know that’s moronic and no one with any awareness of how US state department money and NGOs should take that naive view seriously

this is totally pro-us state department line, yes totally. i am very smart

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

That cooperation was from before that guy became an isis recruiter. But I see why would think otherwise, given that the poo poo framing comes from this article itself written by Mark "“Russian women, especially on the first date, expect you to rape them,” said Mr. Ames. “They’ll go back home with you and say, ‘No, no, no,’ and if you’re an American, you’ve been trained to respect the ‘No,’ because you’re afraid of sexual harassment or date rape, and so you fail over and over. But it took me a while to learn you really have to force Russian girls, and that’s what they want, it’s like a mock rape.'" Ames, a truly stand up guy you want to take your info from.

so you're just doing a bit where you imitate his debate style, cool fair enough. you need a stronger moral claim about ames's character to really get it to stick though, people have been trying the gross book written in 2000 for about 7-8 years and it hasn't really stuck

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Dec 9, 2018

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the example of a single article about a war so fiendishly evil that most of the US senate has turned against it doesn’t erase a consistent pro-US and western policy narrative that is literally funded by the state department

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
but I guess a fraction of his funding can be traced back to the US government, so I should be wary of his extreme pro-us ideological bent and instead rely on unbiased sources on the conflict, like *checks notes* Mark Ames and partisangirl

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gay

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

the example of a single article about a war so fiendishly evil that most of the US senate has turned against it doesn’t erase a consistent pro-US and western policy narrative that is literally funded by the state department

there are literally five anti-saudi and us articles in that link, smart guy

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have partisan girl on snapchat

THS
Sep 15, 2017

but I guess a fraction of his funding can be traced back to the US government, so I should be wary of his extreme pro-us ideological bent

lol

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that is the current cia position... trotted out at first by a low-level flunkie on their payroll

you are not good at this.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

thanks for cutting off the end of that sentence, jackass

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway some headlines

https://www.google.ca/search?q=syria+israel

quote:

The Russian-Israeli Crisis over Syria Lacks an Exit Strategy
The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com-8 hours ago
hmm sounds worth consideringf

quote:

Syrian Army Raises Alert Over Israel Air Force Activity Along ...
Haaretz-Dec. 3, 2018
hmmm

quote:

Battle Between Israel and Iran Shifting From Syria to Lebanon
Haaretz-Dec. 2, 2018
intesting

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wowo what a pic

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

very smart people posted:

Brow Moses is a CIA shill and government stooge (and also pro-isis at the same time for some reason), you have no proof to the contrary!

a dumb idiot with no values posted:

Shifting the burden of proof, a special case of argumentum ad ignorantium, is the fallacy of putting the burden of proof on the person who denies or questions the assertion being made.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think Ben Shaprio has a debate seminar where he teaches you to debate this way.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thanks for cutting off the end of that sentence, jackass

lmao. the point isn’t that i’d claim mark ames (or if you want an example of a media organization with state backing, idk like RT or Al Jazeera) is unbiased. the point is you’re trying to claim that bellingcat isn’t biased, and not ultimately beholden to the US state department. brown moses, who himself wouldn’t tell you he’s any kind of anti-imperialist, would never publish something out of the bounds of what’s acceptable to say within the narrow DC foreign policy consensus of think tanks and congressional committees. i don’t care if he’s aware of that or so neck deep in that world that he can’t see out of it

pretending anything else [snorts, wipes snot off nose] is pure ideology

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Dreylad posted:

I think Ben Shaprio has a debate seminar where he teaches you to debate this way.

ironic if so, considering the way the video that started all of this was edited

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ironic if so, considering the way the video that started all of this was edited

that's not ironic at all

THS
Sep 15, 2017

folks bellingcat might have one bias, the bias of the dang truth and nothing but it. free of any context of how they get their money or who their audience is, we can see that they’re a good faith source of helpful reporting on the conflicts of the middle east, conflicts which may or not be constantly inflamed or started by the people who fund bellingcat

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

lmao. the point isn’t that i’d claim mark ames (or if you want an example of a media organization with state backing, idk like RT or Al Jazeera) is unbiased. the point is you’re trying to claim that bellingcat isn’t biased, and not ultimately beholden to the US state department. brown moses, who himself wouldn’t tell you he’s any kind of anti-imperialist, would never publish something out of the bounds of what’s acceptable to say within the narrow DC foreign policy consensus of think tanks and congressional committees. i don’t care if he’s aware of that or so neck deep in that world that he can’t see out of it

pretending anything else [snorts, wipes snot off nose] is pure ideology

BM is biased in the same sense the every other journalist is biased, but that doesn't mean you can treat his findings and the posts of, say, partisangirl or Mark Ames, with the same validity. Especially when the latter put out deliberately misleading and disingenuously framed content on the regular.

all perspectives are biased but not all perspectives are equally valid. unless you can show the bellingcat are US government stooges, I don't see why I should disregard his reporting out of hand, the way I would for some of the people regularly posted in this thread.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

folks bellingcat might have one bias, the bias of the dang truth and nothing but it. free of any context of how they get their money or who their audience is, we can see that they’re a good faith source of helpful reporting on the conflicts of the middle east, conflicts which may or not be constantly inflamed or started by the people who fund bellingcat

Wow didn't know bellingcat was funded by Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Russia. That's quite the catch.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the only question really worth asking is if brown moses deserves the guillotine or the wall, everything else is sophistry.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

someone who is essentially a paid contractor for the State Department, who is only one step removed from being an employee so it will dupe the truly dumb is by definition a “US government stooge”

your real problem is that you don’t hate imperialism, your hate isn’t pure. everything past that is rationalizing liberal interventionism

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
we must carefully examine the bias and audience of a reporter before allowing their reporting to influence us, I say as I uncritically repost partisangirl

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Wow didn't know bellingcat was funded by Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Russia. That's quite the catch.

In this the end result of people saying the US foreign policy is "controlled" by other countries. Just straight up trying to argue that the United States has nothing to do with inflaming conflicts in the Middle East. Epic this

THS
Sep 15, 2017

russia, iran, the US - all of these are equally responsible for the instability caused by the constant invasions from the west killing millions of people and reducing entire states to smoking piles of rubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

THS posted:

someone who is essentially a paid contractor for the State Department, who is only one step removed from being an employee so it will dupe the truly dumb is by definition a “US government stooge”

your real problem is that you don’t hate imperialism, your hate isn’t pure. everything past that is rationalizing liberal interventionism

i think he's israeli so of course he loves imperialism