Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Tias posted:

Getting into C:tL and it's a really awesome read so far, but a few questions:

What are True Fae supposed to be like? The book goes out of it's way to explain how inscrutable and weird their motivations are, and the only tangible stuff I've caught is in the section of exiles, where we learn that Fae who fall in love with mortals or get obsessed with mortal values get thrown out for being boring. I'd like to write a campaign that involves breaking into Arcadia and getting something or someone out, but it's a bit hard to conceive what the Fae are like, I find.

How old could the oldest living Changelings be? Can an exiled Fae live forever in our world given high enough Wyrd?

I reckon Pledges are integral to C:tL and provide the impetus for a really efficient storytelling device in themselves, but I've found it a little hard to come up with good ways to use them in a chronicle. Can you all share some pledge-driven plots that you have used?

True Fae are extremely one dimensional by nature. They are what the titles they own make them and whatever the stories associated with them need. Nothing else. They may not even be sapient.

Changeling life span is linked to Wyrd rating, and I think it's on the table. It's maybe 200 years or so? Not sure on the Gentry lifespan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nessus posted:

There were a couple of little details in the original Exalted 3e art, like Chejop Kejak the cosmic star exalt conspiracy man just having Age of Empires on one of his screens seeing panes.

Most if not all of his "Seeing Panes" were the box art for various Steam games.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

So I managed to get my hands on the WoD documentary and I'm only in the intro and it's so loving try hard already. I can't even make it five minutes in without laughing at how intensely 90s the intro itself is.

I liked parts of the doc. I felt like the origin story of Masquerade was pretty cool, but they basically gloss over every other game they released that isn't Masquerade and that's pretty annoying.

The way the Cam/WW lawsuit is talked about and spun is incredibly stupid especially when they have someone straight up contradict the bullshit narrative they're pushing.

The complete "Requiem was a failure and that was the end of the WoD because it failed" is also really obnoxious because that's just not true. I get that it's supposed to be about WW, but yeah, throwing OP under the bus and HAVING GOD drat JASON ACHILLI THERE BUT NOT ASKING ABOUT loving REQUIEM?!

It's a mess of a movie with some good and a lot of cringey bad. Especially the LARP stuff.

Tias posted:

What are True Fae supposed to be like? The book goes out of it's way to explain how inscrutable and weird their motivations are, and the only tangible stuff I've caught is in the section of exiles, where we learn that Fae who fall in love with mortals or get obsessed with mortal values get thrown out for being boring. I'd like to write a campaign that involves breaking into Arcadia and getting something or someone out, but it's a bit hard to conceive what the Fae are like, I find.

How old could the oldest living Changelings be? Can an exiled Fae live forever in our world given high enough Wyrd?

I reckon Pledges are integral to C:tL and provide the impetus for a really efficient storytelling device in themselves, but I've found it a little hard to come up with good ways to use them in a chronicle. Can you all share some pledge-driven plots that you have used?

Hi fellow C:TL newbie!

I'd recommend checking out "The Huntsman Chronicles" short story collection [url=]https:// https://www.amazon.com/Huntsmen-Chr...path+publishing[/url]

As it's got some really good stories that help give you an idea of what C:tL can be.

Other than that I'm still hammering stuff out myself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Don't they also forget a ton of early White Wolf writers who contributed a lot to the game?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Crasical posted:

...and promptly catch flame.

The players willingly walking into the sun to die is probably the most positive ending you could have in a vampire campaign.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hey, that's not true.

They can willingly enter torpor until a cure for their horrific affliction is found too!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mulva posted:

Hey, that's not true.

They can willingly enter torpor until a cure for their horrific affliction is found too!

Or Golcanda. Or did they ditch that in revised?

Or does Golcanda just make you a better Vampire?

I haven't gotten that far in my read through of 1e because lol why not read 1e.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tias posted:

What are True Fae supposed to be like?

Do you have access to the 2E book? It has four example True Fae, and goes into a fair amount of depth in terms of what their personality is like and how they interact with their captives.

One of them is a pretty traditional old witch / crone who kidnaps children, with the twist being that she's trying to build her idea of a perfect family and forces each of them into stifling, superficial archetypes and makes them play the role or else. She's superficially sweet and kind but turns into a monster when angered -- think Other Mother from Coraline.

There's an exiled True Fae who is allowed to return to Arcadia when "one hundred madmen dream as one," so he makes a project of giving people crippling nightmares until he can finally go home. He has a kind of "19th century professional" aesthetic, and his realm in Arcadia was modeled on a sanitarium.

Another takes the form of three stereotypical Grey aliens, along with the usual alien abduction narrative that goes with them. It's probably the least developed out of any of these ideas, I think it's just there to explicitly give the nod to "yeah C:tL and UFO mythology go together really nicely" and leave you to do whatever you want with it.

The last one is the one that most emphasizes that True Fae are stories, not just characters -- it's called The Year of Plague, and it's an endlessly recurring year in a blighted, rural wasteland where all the inhabitants are slowly dying of disease. Changelings abducted by its minions might try to cure the plague (becoming Wizened) put everyone out of their misery (Ogres) and if you don't escape before the year resets you're erased, or possibly turned into one of the local inhabitants of the Year who are really little more than automata.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Tias posted:

gently caress YES Changeling chat.

The book you're looking for is Equinox Road, although IIRC one of the four "season" books also goes into the True Fae a bit. Equinox Road just lays all the cards on the table and also includes a discussion of Arcadia, some potential places in Arcadia, and how to structure a campaign around going to Arcadia.

The tl;dr is basically that True Fae are basically a tiny bit of nothing that somehow talked their way into being a tiny bit of chaos. They can manifest, sometimes at the same time, as people, places, or things. Arcadia, in so much as it's a place, is made up entirely of True Fae and maybe the corpses of some dead True Fae. Anyway, Fae literally need conflict - specifically, story-shaped conflict - to exist and survive. So if a Fae is in an eternal duel to the death with their neighbor, that involves their respective "Kings" (the Fae) fighting over a borderlands (also the Fae) with an army (you got it), they're actually kind of best friends because the endless war is literally keeping them both alive. It's implied they abduct mortals and make Changelings specifically because sometimes Changelings manage to twart their plans and, well, you can't have a story without conflict! So their motivations are "whatever the dramatic motivation of this role I'm playing right now" is, with a meta-layer of "gently caress gotta keep things interesting or I will actually atrophy and die." A lot of their weirdness comes either from not understanding how things work because they're such strange, alien beings, or from thinking that a bit of pointless mystery and terror will add a nice dollop of flavor to the story they're trying to tell.

they rule so loving much

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

You could also more or less steal any raksha from Exalted, they're also chaos fairies who need narratives to exist, and are also great.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The main difference is power - beating a True Fae in a fight is nearly impossible without a lot of work.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Who first came up with the idea that fairies are creatures of narrative, anyway? It shows up everywhere now. Exalted, WoD, and Ars Magica all have it work that way.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you have access to the 2E book?

No, just 1st ed core, but you're not the only folks to recommend the seasonal sourcebooks, so I'll probably try digging there. Thanks everyone!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Who first came up with the idea that fairies are creatures of narrative, anyway? It shows up everywhere now. Exalted, WoD, and Ars Magica all have it work that way.

I think that's probably an idea that's much much older than role playing games like we play. I'm not an historical literature expert by any means, but that seems like it's been around for a long time by my understanding of it.

It's a great way to tell a story though, so it's a great marriage for changeling.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one cursed to find the Equinox Road stuff kind of dumb?

I feel like the metaphor suffers when you replace an unknowable, possessive, volatile abuser with a shapeless non-entity - a tvtropesivore that excretes archetypical conflict as a byproduct of its narratobiology.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Kurieg posted:

Most if not all of his "Seeing Panes" were the box art for various Steam games.

I thought a lot of those were either wips or placeholders?

Or was the ex3 core book actually filled with poser art?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The True Fae being wrapped in stories doesn't make them not basically volatile and capricious abusers, it just means that they have something they want (you to play the parts they've assigned you) and a method (their aesthetic). The True Fae are abusers whose self-justifying narrative doesn't have to be one that declares them good people, it just has to declare that they exist and are more important than you, and you need to play your role for their benefit.

I can see the issue with 'narratobiology' but it seems like the narrative predator model works well for producing a wide variety of faerie tale abductions and abuses.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

UrbicaMortis posted:

The players willingly walking into the sun to die is probably the most positive ending you could have in a vampire campaign.
You know call me crazy but I think if your approach to a vampire campaign is that this is the desired ending, it may be better for everyone involved- unless you have complete buy in from char-gen from everyone - to run something else.

As for the faeries thing, I don't know if I can figure out exactly who it was, but it seems clear that it was someone in the 70s, probably in Britain.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I thought a lot of those were either wips or placeholders?

Or was the ex3 core book actually filled with poser art?

Nah that was a "we are about to make our final release, please start sending us typos or really major errors you notice" step. The Kejak thing was egregious art theft and it got replaced, and they even went ahead and replaced the terrible Poser art of Chompy even though its only crime was being really ugly. I don't remember hearing about any other art explosions (from the core book, anyway).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Five Eyes posted:

Am I the only one cursed to find the Equinox Road stuff kind of dumb?

I feel like the metaphor suffers when you replace an unknowable, possessive, volatile abuser with a shapeless non-entity - a tvtropesivore that excretes archetypical conflict as a byproduct of its narratobiology.

Making the True Fae kind of lame when you strip away their mystery and illusions is exactly the right way to portray what are functionally abuse elementals, imo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

It was pre- and post-figured by Mage: the Awakening, whose influence extends both forward and backward in time from its phenomenal publication date.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like the Gentry are entities that have to tell a story about themselves to exist, because they are the story. It's only natural that that story be simplified, solipsistic, full of internal contradictions that threaten to tear it apart, and ultimately less compelling than the truth.

They're still frightening because they are creatures who have the power and the superficial aura of romance to force you to participate in these stories, and maybe at one time (typically before the part where you actually start playing the game) to make you believe it. But they aren't really cool, or glamorous, or meaningful in the final measure, and the game's themes would be compromised if they were.

e: this is also why they need Changelings; your experiences and decisions are real in a way that theirs will never be

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 9, 2018

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that having an actual internal universe and real, selfish, scummy emotions makes abusers "cool" or "meaningful."

I think that people that abuse others for their own satisfaction are more pathetic than alien automata that abuse others because that's how they eat.

Joe Slowboat posted:

The True Fae being wrapped in stories doesn't make them not basically volatile and capricious abusers, it just means that they have something they want (you to play the parts they've assigned you) and a method (their aesthetic).

Do the "Storied Gentry" actually want anything? Outside of role-postures, they're jellyfish. They float on a Campbell current and absorb nutrients through staged dramas. They're not capricious because of anything that's happening in their mind or some emotional deficiency, they're capricious because that's their role in this scene, or because your noncompliance is impeding their ability to process nutrients.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The fact that they eat people's suffering doesn't make them nonsapient, it just means they're like vampires.
They want to go on existing and they want power in their society, which is made up of a bunch of similar entities who see humans as a source of food and service.

The fact that they draw up contracts and establish stories by their own decision points to something alien but also cognizant of its behavior and capable of communication and planning.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They don't need to eat suffering. They don't need to eat anything [Unless of course some aspect of their Titles dictates they do]. They create situations because things exist in relation to other things, and the generation of specific relations defines their existence. That's it. They are nothing seeking to be something, and you only see the something because you can't see nothing. They live in the space allowed by the abstractions they cobble together. Titles and Names and Contracts define the something they can be. The more ties they forge the more something they are. Conflict is a situation that allows them to assert the central facet of their existence: They are. Everything they do is a stage on which to shout their own reality. Without that opportunity they wouldn't be.

And that's about it as far as they go.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Which brings me back to my earlier question:

The 1E Swords At Dawn book introduced something called "Talecrafting" - it's an ability where a Changeling can force the universe to regard them as a character in a story, and so be subject to classic story conventions. It basically introduces PbtA-style elements to C:tL, and it's a great idea, just lousily executed. It's super hard to invoke, becomes addictive, and the mechanical benefits usually aren't great.

Has it been updated for 2E yet? If not, has anyone made it actually fun and interesting?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

It's worth mentioning that Second Edition is walking back the "Arcadia is made of stories" take, and the working model for what the Wyrd as a universal force is has less to do with narratives and more to do with a cosmic equivalent exchange and network of associations. The motives of the Gentry are mysterious, but further obscured by the fact that each Other is plural in nature. Their core identity is their self-defining Name, but they are primarily known and experienced through their subsidiary Titles. The Keeper with whom a changeling is familiar is likely only one Title of several which make up one True Fae, all of which fulfill transactional roles in pledges with each other and with Arcadia and the Wyrd, the sum total of which are what give the Name definition and power.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

They want to go on existing and they want power in their society, which is made up of a bunch of similar entities who see humans as a source of food and service.

I don't know that I agree with the use of "want", here. (A lion "wants" food and it "wants" dominance in the pride, right?) Equinox Road proposes that, despite the false bodies they wear, the Gentry are in fact a box of archetypes. If not exercised, the box containing the archetypes fades into nothing, so it spins them into bodies and places and plays out stock dramas. There's no "person" within a role, only a posture that creates an interactable person-gesture.

Vampires aren't monstrous because they consume blood. If that was true, leeches and vampire bats would be monsters. It's the things that they, as people, knowingly do to other people to acquire the blood, power, and security they crave. The Gentry behind the Actor Dracula doesn't really feel ambition to impose their hypnotic will on others or carnal desire to extract blood from mortal thralls. They re-enact vampirism not because they want to be a vampire but in the same way that a plant bends towards the sun.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I mean, there is the idea that some un-thing went out of its way to start existing - they didn't spontaneously generate, they cut deals and made pacts that would allow them to exist. Now, that's a fundamentally paradoxical motion, so it's probably fair to say that we can't really characterize it... but my understanding of that kind of entity in a fantasy story is always that there's some kind of will or drive there that isn't just a pure urge. After all, nothing existed to have the nature which entails an urge.

Though if this is being rolled back anyways, that hardly matters. I just think that self-created conglomerations of titles layered around something that Should Not Be to let it cheat the universe is very much the kind of antagonist I see as having a will and purpose, rather than just pursuing a program blindly. They themselves constructed the false selves they play out, after all.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hell, a “human” antagonist is just a bunch of proteins and water molecules really.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

joylessdivision posted:

I liked parts of the doc. I felt like the origin story of Masquerade was pretty cool, but they basically gloss over every other game they released that isn't Masquerade and that's pretty annoying.

The way the Cam/WW lawsuit is talked about and spun is incredibly stupid especially when they have someone straight up contradict the bullshit narrative they're pushing.

The complete "Requiem was a failure and that was the end of the WoD because it failed" is also really obnoxious because that's just not true. I get that it's supposed to be about WW, but yeah, throwing OP under the bus and HAVING GOD drat JASON ACHILLI THERE BUT NOT ASKING ABOUT loving REQUIEM?!

It's a mess of a movie with some good and a lot of cringey bad. Especially the LARP stuff.

Yeah. Personally, I get that the LARP scene was a bit of a big deal at the time it emerged, but there's a definite agenda from NuWW in presenting it as the core of the hobby. In my region, there are zero vampire LARPs and there was only one shortlived one in the 90s, but VtM was still popular and to a degree still is (university towns: they love RPGs of all kinds, the more pretentious the better) just for tabletop. It's almost a little Messiah complex-y.

I also had to laugh at its insistence that these theatre types don't want your normal tabletop experience. I run a DnD game for theatre folk - right down to a couple of dudes who got scholarships and positions in the Australian drama company - and their ilk and it's DnD because that's exactly what they wanted. They didn't want to 'become the monster', they wanted to drink beer, laugh, kill a dragon and steal its gold and not be 'on' as actors every moment of the game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The notion of "Vampire is an alternative to DnD for theatre types" is hopelessly outdated.

I also hate NuWWs glamorizing the LARP scene. LARPing in the States (I can't speak for the world) was considered an activity *even nerdier* than just playing an RPG. You got dressed up in whatever you could find at a thrift store and had to find a venue that somehow blended, "large", "private", and "free." It was a thoroughly embarassing experience outside of it's context, and a lot of fun within it.

The idea of high end private LARPs where people walk around in 2k$ + costumes is like - yeah, anybody would do that if they enjoyed roleplaying. It was stigmatized because you had to wear a lovely suit jacket and convince the room it actually represented expensive attire. Hyper wealthy SM parties where you also roleplay is like... not that.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Five Eyes posted:

I don't know that I agree with the use of "want", here. (A lion "wants" food and it "wants" dominance in the pride, right?) Equinox Road proposes that, despite the false bodies they wear, the Gentry are in fact a box of archetypes. If not exercised, the box containing the archetypes fades into nothing, so it spins them into bodies and places and plays out stock dramas. There's no "person" within a role, only a posture that creates an interactable person-gesture.

Vampires aren't monstrous because they consume blood. If that was true, leeches and vampire bats would be monsters. It's the things that they, as people, knowingly do to other people to acquire the blood, power, and security they crave. The Gentry behind the Actor Dracula doesn't really feel ambition to impose their hypnotic will on others or carnal desire to extract blood from mortal thralls. They re-enact vampirism not because they want to be a vampire but in the same way that a plant bends towards the sun.
The reason that The Gentry are monstrous is because they did that thing to you, a person, over and over until you stopped being a full regular normal person.

They don't need exhaustively detailed biographies with yarn-board motivations to be sufficiently horrifying, because the thing that makes them horrifying is that it just happened to you because you were there.

They're the antagonists of The Strangers, and you were home. Scene.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mendrian posted:

The notion of "Vampire is an alternative to DnD for theatre types" is hopelessly outdated.

I also hate NuWWs glamorizing the LARP scene. LARPing in the States (I can't speak for the world) was considered an activity *even nerdier* than just playing an RPG. You got dressed up in whatever you could find at a thrift store and had to find a venue that somehow blended, "large", "private", and "free." It was a thoroughly embarassing experience outside of it's context, and a lot of fun within it.

The idea of high end private LARPs where people walk around in 2k$ + costumes is like - yeah, anybody would do that if they enjoyed roleplaying. It was stigmatized because you had to wear a lovely suit jacket and convince the room it actually represented expensive attire. Hyper wealthy SM parties where you also roleplay is like... not that.

I've been tempted to go to VtM larps around me a couple of times, but you're absolutely right about the stigma. I can convince a couple friends to play some table top game no problem but nobody wants to check out a LARP.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

I've been tempted to go to VtM larps around me a couple of times, but you're absolutely right about the stigma. I can convince a couple friends to play some table top game no problem but nobody wants to check out a LARP.

Ironically I find dressing up in a cheap costume and pretending it isn't a cheap costume less offputting than the alternative. The idea that you need thousands of dollars to play a LARP without feeling weird is just wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the LARPs I hit up were all the 'get something out of your closet, if your vamp is the type to dress up just wear whatever is a good approximation that you don't mind moving and all in you don't need to actually buy an Armani suit just to be a Ventrue.' It was never some grand elaborate affair it was a bunch of typical WW fan theater kids hanging out to basically improv with a loose (let's be real, dogshit) rule system around it to keep Jeff from just pulling a Michael Scott and winning every scene by pulling a gun out.

It sucks because NuWW trying to act like that wasn't the case really kills what actually made it fun. It wasn't because we were ~too artsy~ to want 'normal D&D' or whatever, it was just because it was fun to pretend to be a loving vampire with schemes and poo poo. I'm sure there were tons of pretentious wads who thought we were somehow doing it 'better' than D&D night or whatever but that was never really the vibe as a whole.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I mean, in much of europe, 'roleplaying' means... larping. If i tell people 'my hobby is playing roleplaying games' i then always have to clarify that it's primarily not larping. Larping here is concidered generally sorta childish, but not to a degree where it's too strange to play as an adult. And while blockbuster larps are expensive - a 600 dollar ticket and a trip to poland isn't cheap - they are the sort of thing you might do as a fancy and wierd vacation.
anyway, in general, here where i'm from, tabletop roleplaying games are definately the even wierder and nerdier version of larping in the public conciousness. if i tell people i larp, they will say 'oh, yeah, i did that when i was 15, it was fun'

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

They don't need exhaustively detailed biographies with yarn-board motivations to be sufficiently horrifying, because the thing that makes them horrifying is that it just happened to you because you were there.

It would be "horrifying" to be caught in a landslide and gradually crushed to death by a heavy rock, but that doesn't make a landslide a good antagonist.

None of that has anything to do with biographies and detailed motivations, and I'm not sure how you arrived there? Equinox proposes Gentry that aren't abusers so much as abuse engines. You can speak about their effects in the passive voice. There's a place for that in fiction, but I think it's better served for, say, the God-Machine, where the senseless impersonality serves the metaphor of relentless, grinding institutions. I don't see how Changeling is improved by saying its chief antagonists are semi-autonomous abuse drones executing a script.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

They're the antagonists of The Strangers, and you were home. Scene.

Do you think The Strangers would still work if the killers were automatons that had been programmed to kill? Or is "You were home" effective because there's, y'know, a mind involved in deciding that killing is an acceptable pastime?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

uh, according to the official geek hierarchy tabletop gamers consider themselves less nerdy than LARPers, so that's obviously the truth.

But yeah, in my experience here in the states LARPing was a whole 'nother level of nerdy. All that "lightening bolt! lightening bolt!" poo poo. I had jocky friends who would role some dice and murder some kobolds while getting drunk, and some of them absolutely had a bit of the theater kid in them and would put a lot of effort into costume parties and the like, but I get the impression actual LARPing would be beyond the pale. Hell, I wear my nerdiness on my sleeve, tell strangers about my campaigns, and happily relate spending my summers in camp playing D&D, and I'm still a little ashamed of the one time I did a Star Wars LARP. It's actually kind of sad now that I think about it, because it sounds like the kind of thing I might enjoy every now and them, but I do think in American culture it's seen as the one of the geekyist things you can do.

otoh there was that paul rudd LARPing movie, and everything he does is charming and endearing, so...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If people wanna LARP more power to 'em as far as I'm concerned, but it's tremendously silly to me to neglect the tabletop side of things in a history of the WoD. Funnily enough, when you pay close attention to the docco most of the actual White Wolf crew are talking generally about Vampire and the setting as a whole and how 'holy poo poo it was wild days', and it's mostly the NuWW crew and the Camarilla guys ranting about how much better LARP is and turning up with fangs and costumes and poo poo.