Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

actually the genocidal king is a good person -- Virgin Souls.

e: I hate when I'm the first post on a new page because it's always my dumbest posts. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what Gridman does with Yuta out of action for a bit, and we've got two whole episodes left max to rescue/redeem Akane. It's gonna be super interesting to see.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

CrashScreen posted:

actually the genocidal king is a good person -- Virgil Souls.

e: I hate when I'm the first post on a new page because it's always my dumbest posts. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what Gridman does with Yuta out of action for a bit, and we've got two whole episodes left max to rescue/redeem Akane. It's gonna be super interesting to see.

The twist next episode? Alexis Kierbe (or whatever) had nothing to do with this, there is no alien, Akane is just like this. Maybe, it would force them to deal with the issues Akane has. If we're considering sculpting kaiju to be a metaphor for self harm, Alexis would be a self destructive desire or urge and apart of Akane's habits/personality.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It would have been one thing if Virgin Soul was just a case of not thinking through its implications quite hard enough, but it was really bold of it to spend its entire first half going really hard on how much of a brutal demon rights violation the Charioce regime was and then start on the "but he's such a good kisser!"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Toalpaz posted:

The twist next episode? Alexis Kierbe (or whatever) had nothing to do with this, there is no alien, Akane is just like this. Maybe, it would force them to deal with the issues Akane has. If we're considering sculpting kaiju to be a metaphor for self harm, Alexis would be a self destructive desire or urge and apart of Akane's habits/personality.
Alexis is just another kaiju Akane made a long time ago to speed up the process of making more. :tinfoil:

Maybe....Gridman is too and there are no "aliens" in the show at all! :tinfoil:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If that's the case, then what made Akane forget about Alexis and Gridman?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Maybe she was stabbed by Gridman first and was split into 6 pieces too :tinfoil:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Alexis sends his regards. *stab*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wark Say posted:

If that's the case, then what made Akane forget about Alexis and Gridman?

From what she said at the end, Junk was an old creation of hers she got rid of long ago. Maybe it was meant as a tool to help her, and it developed Gridman on its own after being disposed of?

The same way Anti kept trying to defeat Gridman even after Akane gave up on him, Junk might have kept making cool robots after being abandoned.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At the start of the dream episode they used a piece of piano music I know I've heard before in another show played in almost the same way, I'm thinking it was in End of Evangelion but I can't place the scene in my head, anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spoiler Warning for the finale: https://twitter.com/okamura3220/status/1071732472222633984

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yuugiri: Better than Bright Noa at whupping people into shape. :kimchi:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I assume this will happen immediately after Akane realises how deep down the rabbithole she is and decides to seek out therapy?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sindai posted:

Alexis is just another kaiju Akane made a long time ago to speed up the process of making more. :tinfoil:

Maybe....Gridman is too and there are no "aliens" in the show at all! :tinfoil:

The only person (well, kaiju) who knows what's actually going on in this show explicitly said Alexis came from "outside" so yeah that's not likely

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

The only person (well, kaiju) who knows what's actually going on in this show explicitly said Alexis came from "outside" so yeah that's not likely

Also the first thing that happened in ep 1 was gridman coming down from space and separating.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Droyer posted:

Also the first thing that happened in ep 1 was gridman coming down from space and separating.

Into 6, incidentally, not 5 - went back and checked lately. Probably safe to assume that 5 of the lights we saw were Gridman himself and the neon genesis squad, but who's number 6? The obvious assumption is Yuta, but that's at least a little weird to think about considering Yuta supposedly existed in the sim before Gridman arrived.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Into 6, incidentally, not 5 - went back and checked lately. Probably safe to assume that 5 of the lights we saw were Gridman himself and the neon genesis squad, but who's number 6? The obvious assumption is Yuta, but that's at least a little weird to think about considering Yuta supposedly existed in the sim before Gridman arrived.

:tinfoil: Maybe the 6th fragment crashed into Yuuta Prime, killing him, and it felt bad so it took over his body :tinfoil:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

At the start of the dream episode they used a piece of piano music I know I've heard before in another show played in almost the same way, I'm thinking it was in End of Evangelion but I can't place the scene in my head, anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Akane was humming "Believe" by Ryuuichi Sakamoto, which was sung by the school choir in the background before.
When Rikka and Akane are talking in the Infirmary, you can hear "Wakai Tsubasa wa/若い翼は".

If you mean the piano playing at Rikka's house, that was sadly not listed in the credits.

The one famous choir song in Eva is I think "Tsubasa o kudasai/翼をください" in Eva 2.0

Ibblebibble posted:

:tinfoil: Maybe the 6th fragment crashed into Yuuta Prime, killing him, and it felt bad so it took over his body :tinfoil:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871229&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post489495229

:smug:

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 9, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A lot of stuff to take in, so just sorting my CIA document observations here.

There's Anti's exchange with Akane- Akane:"I don't like kaiju that resemble people. See? Those eyes... You have eyes like a person."
Anti: "And your eyes are--"
Akane:"Don't look."

Akane can't see Gridman on the computer monitor when they show her perspective, like how Rikka and Utsumi used to be incapable.
Alexis telling Akane that "Real humans don't actually sleep." right after she wakes from a dream.
For that matter, Akane's room being in the cybercity.
Why Alexis even wants Akane to keep making kaiju. He's never actually pushed her towards fighting Gridman, and he's not broken up about the maintenance kaiju being destroyed, either. If anything he seems pretty pleased with himself at her current state.

To pore back over existing references: Rikka still hasn't given Akane the card case she bought that has the Matrix of Leadership motif on it. It was still sitting in a Nova bag in her room last we've seen. Relevant to all the Shattered Glass Transformers-inspired designs, Akane is based on SG Optimus Prime, who eventually gets turned into Nova Prime which cures him of his madness and brings him to the side of heroes.
The custodian kaiju look like Venora, a kaiju from the end of the first season of Gridman, the Hyper Agent who released nerve gas that could tamper with Gridman's mind and memories.

Akane is similar to the original human antagonist of Gridman, the Hyper Agent, Takeshi, who fashioned the kaiju that Khan Digifier brought to life. He wore glasses, lived in a walled/gated home, was computer-savvy, and made kaiju to get revenge for a series of petty concerns. In one of the late episodes before the series climax, a person named "Takeo" appeared who looked like Takeshi, except he was kind and selfless, made friends with everyone, and went out of his way to save people in trouble. When Takeshi's main hacking scheme of the episode failed, he decided that everything was Takeo's fault and went to stab him with a box cutter identical to the one Akane has, but comes to the revelation that Takeo is literally actually just the ideal version of himself, someone he could be if he wasn't so... well, jealous and spiteful and petty. It's never completely clear how it happened, but Takeo had just manifested in the real world from the computer world. In SSSS.Gridman, Yuta and Akane both say there's something only they can do and both keep Ramune marbles--obviously there's the protagonist/antagonist parallels, but with everything else happening, it's not like Yuta being Akane's "Takeo" is too far-fetched a proposition.

One more :tinfoil: :Khan Digifier attempted to take over the real world via a tentacle; this is the concept art for that tentacle's head.

And here's one of the last stills of the OP.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Hogama posted:

One more :tinfoil: :Khan Digifier attempted to take over the real world via a tentacle; this is the concept art for that tentacle's head.

And here's one of the last stills of the OP.

Whoa! Those are some good finds! Just goes to show you gain a lot of appreciation and understanding of references from watching other gridman stuff.

I haven't watched any other gridman things, so I appreciate that perspective!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also having gotten a better look at it in this episode the "city in the sky" we see looks almost identical to the cyberworld design from the original Gridman (green wireframe buildings and all). Not sure if this means anything though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also having gotten a better look at it in this episode the "city in the sky" we see looks almost identical to the cyberworld design from the original Gridman (green wireframe buildings and all). Not sure if this means anything though.

It's Gridman, it always means something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

It's Gridman, it always means something.

True, so far this series seems to have been something of a pseudo-sequel to the original (basically the Gridman Sigma we never got way back when) though the only direct connection so far has been the Kaiju Girl from a few episodes back (her being the descendant of a monster from said series) and unless some major revelation happens in the last two episodes that's likely to be all we're going to get at this point. Which I'm fine with honestly as this series stands well enough on its own.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we get more Gridman or at least Toku stuff if this show does well, but assuming they stick the landing I don't think I'd want another season with this specific cast. The show's been so very tightly focused on Akane and her story, and we're so obviously close to the end of that, it'd feel weird to get another season with her and Yuta and the gang.

Keep Gridman and maybe the Neon Genesis team, but give them a new storyline like Final Fantasy style.

It kinda depends on what the circumstances around everything ultimately turn out to be.

I'd be happy either way, I think. I do like the characters (or at least the assist weapons, akane, anti and rikka, I think yuta and utsumi are a bit flat), but that's all the more reason to not want needless sequelizing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 9, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Idle theory that just occurred to me and that I can't fully support yet, but can't get rid of either - what if Akane created Yuta?

Like, I'm pretty sure most of us have assumed that she can't have done because Yuta's linked to Gridman and Gridman clearly isn't from around here. But what if, even if Akane doesn't entirely realize or understand it, Yuta and team Gridman are her creations as much as anyone else is? What if she made them oppose her on purpose?

Like that obviously raises the question of why she doesn't remember it, but considering that she seemed surprised when the evolved Kaiju burst out of the wimpy one, there's reason to think that her creative powers can work without her realizing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Idle theory that just occurred to me and that I can't fully support yet, but can't get rid of either - what if Akane created Yuta?

Like, I'm pretty sure most of us have assumed that she can't have done because Yuta's linked to Gridman and Gridman clearly isn't from around here. But what if, even if Akane doesn't entirely realize or understand it, Yuta and team Gridman are her creations as much as anyone else is? What if she made them oppose her on purpose?

Like that obviously raises the question of why she doesn't remember it, but considering that she seemed surprised when the evolved Kaiju burst out of the wimpy one, there's reason to think that her creative powers can work without her realizing.

I assume that our Yuta is a bit of Gridman replacing one of the NPCs Akane erased, much as Cliffjumper in Shattered Glass showed up in the mirror universe by replacing his dead evil self.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume that our Yuta is a bit of Gridman replacing one of the NPCs Akane erased, much as Cliffjumper in Shattered Glass showed up in the mirror universe by replacing his dead evil self.

Yeah, that's basically what I'd been assuming for a while, but someone in a Gridman discord I look at occasionally mentioned that the original show had a character who basically represented what that show's human villain could have been if they weren't such a shitter and suggested that maybe Yuta is supposed to be that for Akane, and now I kind of can't get the idea of Akane setting that up on purpose entirely out of my head. Yuta and Akane's interests in Rikka, and Rikka's in them, feels like it takes on another layer if that's the case, too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Are we sure that Akane's workspace is actually in her house by the way?

The thing about Akane's eyes has got to be a major hint, but I just spent 15 minutes skimming. Anti's eyes didn't actually change or anything.

I will note that only Rikka and Borr have two-tone eyes on a quick pass.

... this show has broken me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Official preview for the next episode.
https://gridman.net/story/#/11

Synopsis: A ceiling covers the city and a different morning dawns. Having lost Gridman, many kaiju begin to appear within the city. Akane quietly overlooks the city.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hass being a Gridknight fan confirms her as best girl.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

’Having lost Gridman’ welp!

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

There's something here that bothers me about the newest episode. Anti can fight the rampaging botfly Kaiju because he's not a Kaiju himself anymore, and it represents Akane's heart - but the gridman squad can't effectively fight back or predict it.
We're pretty sure they came from outside as the last page of discussion showed, but this implies that either a) they don't know fight to handle *anything* that's not a Kaiju or b) they themselves are also Kaiju.
It seems fair not to call them human at any rate, despite their snazzy suits. But then what are they?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

Synopsis: A ceiling covers the city and a different morning dawns. Having lost Gridman, many kaiju begin to appear within the city. Akane quietly overlooks the city.

So Yuta is straight up dead then, I'm curious how they're going to handle that one (personally I'd like to see Rikka become Gridman in his place but we'll see).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

So Yuta is straight up dead then, I'm curious how they're going to handle that one (personally I'd like to see Rikka become Gridman in his place but we'll see).

The leaked spoilers (which have been totally accurate so far) say this is the one where Yura gets his memory back.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The leaked spoilers (which have been totally accurate so far) say this is the one where Yura gets his memory back.

Could be a thing where he gets them back because his death reintegrates him back into Gridman?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hogama posted:

Anyone know what the title of the episode translates to?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

Anyone know what the title of the episode translates to?
FINAL/DECISIVE BATTLE. :black101:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 10, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hell yeah. Give me Rikka as Gridman or give me death.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I wish I had a source, but if I remember right, wasn't Gridman a backup pick after Amemiya couldn't get Ultraman?

Because, if so, it's going to be pretty funny (assuming things keep on their current track) when Gridman's anime radically outperforms Ultraman's.

It could all crash and burn (call no man happy until he's dead and that), but right now Gridman's looking amazing. Not only as a show (because, yeah, it's good), but its dramatically exceeding sales expectations, and it finished production weeks ago.

Pretty impressive.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

It could all crash and burn (call no man happy until he's dead and that), but right now Gridman's looking amazing. Not only as a show (because, yeah, it's good), but its dramatically exceeding sales expectations, and it finished production weeks ago.

I am going to choose to believe in Gridman, but it's going to be impressive to see how it gets a satisfying conclusion in two episodes. Stuff has been hinted at, but all that's really been established is Akane is behind... Something, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

At this point I'm very much expecting this to be a sort of show where you get the ending to Akane's personal story with depression and isolation and loathing and poo poo but a lot of the broader mysteries of the setting are left unexplained - and I'm perfectly okay with that. Akane's story is a lot more fascinating to me than any of the logistics of how the simulation is working or any of that anyway.