Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For some reason my iPad takes over when it can hear you. Pretty much every time. Even from another room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 11.4 and HomePod :siren:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/05/ios-11-4-brings-stereo-pairs-and-multi-room-audio-with-airplay-2/

AirPlay 2 and multiroom control baked into iOS 11.4.

No, it's not out yet, but kinda unusual for Apple to toot stuff before release.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's out on my iPhone, so I imagine it's out on HomePods, too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It's out on my iPhone, so I imagine it's out on HomePods, too.

It is. Reminder you need to go to the Home app and check the homepod details to see/install the update.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It is. Reminder you need to go to the Home app and check the homepod details to see/install the update.

I am doing this remotely, which is pretty cool!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
God drat this is a good speaker

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I just got one and I like it a lot but how can people seriously post that they replaced their expensive existing setup with just one pod?
One sounds good but it clearly doesn't fill the room the way two properly placed speakers do.

I'll definitely get a second unit for stereo play and maybe a third one for the kitchen. :homebrew:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I get it’s absolutely not apples thing but would an audio line in have killed them

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I get it’s absolutely not apples thing but would an audio line in have killed them

Gen2 should have a lighting port just to gently caress with people

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao

“gently caress did anyone bring that dongle??”

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've just ordered one of these, and can't wait for it to turn up tomorrow.

I use Apple Music so not being able to tell Alexa to play songs has been a pain. Sorry Alexa, you're out and Siri is taking over!

Pitwar fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 31, 2018

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Did iOS 12 get released for HomePod yet? Mine's stuck on 11.4, and Software Update in the Home app shows that as being the latest available.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3307192/consumer-electronics/with-ios-12-the-homepod-finally-feels-like-a-member-of-the-household.html
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/09/homepod-adds-new-features-and-siri-languages/

That article and press release make it sound like it's out, but I can't find any other evidence.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is on 12.0.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Ah, an old beta profile was loving me up. Even removing it and rebooting didn't work, so I just reset it and all is well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My HomePod has been playing for like 3 days straight because it won’t respond to hey Siri. I just turn the volume all the way down at night. I kinda want to see how long it will go for before it just gives up.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MarcusSA posted:

My HomePod has been playing for like 3 days straight because it won’t respond to hey Siri. I just turn the volume all the way down at night. I kinda want to see how long it will go for before it just gives up.

If you tap between the +/- it’ll turn it off... you can tap it again to turn it on. Right in the middle.

No need to turn it down. It’s the same spot where you’d see the multi-color swirl when Siri responds to you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

If you tap between the +/- it’ll turn it off... you can tap it again to turn it on. Right in the middle.

No need to turn it down. It’s the same spot where you’d see the multi-color swirl when Siri responds to you.

Lol I had no idea about that!

Thanks!

I love my HomePod. I seriously use it every day when I’m downstairs cooking / cleaning / poo poo positing.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
What’s the chance these bad boys go on sale for Black Friday?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

G5ANDY posted:

What’s the chance these bad boys go on sale for Black Friday?

Very good? I'm pretty sure there are already some sales out with them discounted fifty bucks or so.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I’m pretty sure Best Buy already announced their discount, so certain?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MrBond posted:

I’m pretty sure Best Buy already announced their discount, so certain?

Oh yeah, that's what it was. $250 there.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/black-friday/

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

Agronox posted:

Oh yeah, that's what it was. $250 there.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/black-friday/

oh cool, too bad I'm in :britain:

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

G5ANDY posted:

oh cool, too bad I'm in :britain:

Just FYI, the deal on from Apple the next few days is £319 & a £40 apple gift card so this is better than John Lewis et al. (£299).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
After about a year of use, speaker owns, Siri loving sucks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Over There posted:

After about a year of use, speaker owns, Siri loving sucks

I don’t agree really. Siri on the HomePod is the best version of it. I’ve literally never had issues and she’s super quick.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I caved on the Best Buy deal. That will make three homepods, and I upgraded my appletv since my old one wasn’t AirPlay 2 compatible. Telling Siri to have my music follow me around the house is awesome.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a HomePod for $250. It's pretty neato. I quite like shouting to Siri to pause the movie on my Apple TV or asking it to convert units of measurement while I cook.

It seems to get really eager to play random songs that it thinks it hears when I say "hey Siri press play on the Apple TV" or some variation-- I don't know what the best way to get it to do poo poo on the Apple TV is other than finish the request with "on the Apple TV".

I'd really like to say "hey Siri continue watching the office" or something to have it issue a play command on the Apple TV but apparently that's too complicated.

It also sounds much, much better than my Soundbar and I don't know if I want to get a second one for stereo sound quality, or what I should do. Ugh. It's weird having the sound come from a little bit to the left of my TV.

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 27, 2018

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Regretting not getting the 250$ deal :smith:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Extremely same.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nervana posted:

I regret not getting 2 at that price. Goddammit.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

jokes posted:

I regret not getting 3 at that price. Goddammit.

Yeah, I used the deal and now I have 3. Airplay 2 syncs so nicely. Placement isn’t optimal but we have one each in opposite corners of the downstairs (donut shaped area with a bathroom there the hole is) and one in the loft upstairs. Totally awesome to fill the house with sound or be putzing around and having the music follow you.

They need to make a weatherproof one for outdoors. Then I would be proper broke.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nervana posted:

$280 this week at Best Buy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

$280 this week at Best Buy.

$250 at target so I saw at slick deals.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

$250 again at bh photo video which would be the cheapest way (no sales tax).

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, can I get a goon comparison of the sound quality on this compared to say... a Bouse SoundLink, or a UE Boom 2... or an Echo... something like that? Is it noticeably better for the increased price?

And an interesting comparison, how does this sound compared to a proper 2.1 setup with bookshelf speakers and a sub? I think it's straightforward that the 2.1 will 'sound better', but I'd like to understand what the HomePod would compromise beyond a punchy sub? I watched a Gizmodo '6 months later' review and it mentioned the lack of midrange clarity for example.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 17, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's way better than an Echo (at least my first-generation Echo), but midrange is not always the best. It's kind of hard to really say, though, since it does a ton of audio processing based on the song and room conditions and such.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

jokes posted:

$250 again at bh photo video which would be the cheapest way (no sales tax).

apparently they collect tax from IL (and several other states) now. :trumppop:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
These really took off didn’t they

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Suqit posted:

These really took off didn’t they

I like mine. It was these or the sonos equivalent and for me having air play 2 and Siri was what I was looking for a year ago. If sonos had it at the time I might have had those instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
What are some cool commands you guys use witj Siri?