Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I always found the concept of people cashing paychecks even today to be quite amusing in this, the digital age.

Australia went all in on digital banking and card systems from as soon as it was possible to do it, to the point that I've never actually seen a cheque, nor owned a cheque book. I tried to get one the other day out of curiosity and I had to justify why I wanted one and ended up not bothering.

Like, nondigital money systems is an anathema to me, I don't see how America has resisted this for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Do you do drugs

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Why does the number keep going up??? MY CHRISTMAS FUN IS BEING RUINED!!!

:sassargh:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

moolchaba posted:

Why does the number keep going up??? MY CHRISTMAS FUN IS BEING RUINED!!!

:sassargh:

U fools... underestimated bitcoens again... time to be poor!!!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

McGiggins posted:

I always found the concept of people cashing paychecks even today to be quite amusing in this, the digital age.

Australia went all in on digital banking and card systems from as soon as it was possible to do it, to the point that I've never actually seen a cheque, nor owned a cheque book. I tried to get one the other day out of curiosity and I had to justify why I wanted one and ended up not bothering.

Like, nondigital money systems is an anathema to me, I don't see how America has resisted this for so long.

your purchasing history tells the world more about you than the shoes you wear. if you pay for everything digitally, everyone knows exactly what you buy, and you become the perfect target for the modern marketing machine to bend you over and gently caress you until you're completely destitute

but use cash and nobody can keep track of what you're buying. your diet, your hobbies, your clothes, your friends and their interests, are privy to you and you alone. protect yourself and your family and friends in this boringest cyberpunk setting: pay in cash

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

your purchasing history tells the world more about you than the shoes you wear. if you pay for everything digitally, everyone knows exactly what you buy, and you become the perfect target for the modern marketing machine to bend you over and gently caress you until you're completely destitute

but use cash and nobody can keep track of what you're buying. your diet, your hobbies, your clothes, your friends and their interests, are privy to you and you alone. protect yourself and your family and friends in this boringest cyberpunk setting: pay in cash
but then also pay the 2-3% premium you would normally reclaim through rewards credit cards.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
or, like, have the willpower and judgement to not be taken by marketing and buy only what you need to live within your means? nahh that's insane

though it doesn't help that basic necessities are controlled by absolute fucks and even a simple life with few luxuries is becoming harder and harder to afford.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mimesweeper posted:

or, like, have the willpower and judgement to not be taken by marketing and buy only what you need to live within your means? nahh that's insane

this is what everyone says but the truth is that no matter how strong your willpower is, everyone is vulnerable to advertising. you hear it, you see it, it's in you whether you want it to be or not. avoid your exposure to it, and do whatever you can to keep marketers from learning anything about you; the only winning move is not to play, but that's impossible these days, so the next best thing is not to play by their rules.

remember that it's the ones who think they can't be fleeced, who end up getting it first, and hardest

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

The White Dragon posted:

remember that it's the ones who think they can't be fleeced, who end up getting it first, and hardest

that hasn't been my experience but i don't exactly know what everyone else's life has been, so i'll take your word for it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hoodwinker posted:

but then also pay the 2-3% premium you would normally reclaim through rewards credit cards.

Reasonable countries (read: the EU) legislate these fees to be much lower, so credit card companies can't offer ridiculous rewards systems.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mimesweeper posted:

that hasn't been my experience but i don't exactly know what everyone else's life has been, so i'll take your word for it.
The thing is that it's not a binary between SOVEREIGN CYBERPUNK and MINDLESS CONSUMER-PIG, and the advertising has a small cumulative impact. The salesmen also take some pains to make buying as smooth and easy as possible, as opposed to conventional crimes such as murder which require more positive effort to commit.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Mimesweeper posted:

People are quite hackable, and they don't realize it. We're creatures of context, social at our core, and susceptible to 'soft' influence - it's what makes us so drat good a cooperating and sharing knowledge with each other.

Even when you know you shouldn't, you're wired to fall for this stuff.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

thoughts and prayers posted:

People are quite hackable, and they don't realize it. We're creatures of context, social at our core, and susceptible to 'soft' influence - it's what makes us so drat good a cooperating and sharing knowledge with each other.

Even when you know you shouldn't, you're wired to fall for this stuff.

Oh I get that and agree, the part I don't agree with is what I quoted, "remember that it's the ones who think they can't be fleeced, who end up getting it first, and hardest". People who see it coming are the least susceptible to being taken in, not the most, but even then we're all still human and the same poo poo works on everyone to varying degrees.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Mimesweeper posted:

Oh I get that and agree, the part I don't agree with is what I quoted, "remember that it's the ones who think they can't be fleeced, who end up getting it first, and hardest". People who see it coming are the least susceptible to being taken in, not the most, but even then we're all still human and the same poo poo works on everyone to varying degrees.
Not necessarily. What others are getting at here is that people who are confident that they won't be fooled tend to be the easiest of marks. For example, it's why pharmaceutical companies in the states spend so much money lobbying doctors. Because doctors think that obviously they are intelligent and rational enough to not be influenced by a logo on a free mug and a friendly saleslady who gives him a free lunch while dropping off pamphlets, so they readily accept these things thinking they can't be compromised and, well, the numbers don't lie.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Huh, that's a good point.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

McGiggins posted:

I still have a cheque book but haven't written a cheque in well over a decade. Few places accept personal cheques these days, and they're not particularly convenient for recipients as they need to be physically deposited.

That said, I'm aware that the US banking system isn't as seamless as ours.

The White Dragon posted:

A lot of people only pay their regular bills electronically and withdraw their "spending money" as cash. Many elderly people pay nothing at all electronically. It's not difficult to avoid leaving an electronic trail of how you spend your money, although there'll always be a trail of your bills regardless of whether you pay in cash, by cheque, or electronically.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lolie posted:

A lot of people only pay their regular bills electronically and withdraw their "spending money" as cash. Many elderly people pay nothing at all electronically. It's not difficult to avoid leaving an electronic trail of how you spend your money, although there'll always be a trail of your bills regardless of whether you pay in cash, by cheque, or electronically.

This is true, you can't avoid bills, but my perspective on that specifically is, whatever. "This person uses electricity," "this person uses public water utilities," or "this person produces garbage and pays for pickup services," "this person regularly makes payments on rent/a house/a car" is like, no poo poo. Almost everyone does that, the only thing that paying bills says about you is that you aren't homeless. It's nothing as telling as what (or where) you eat, what kinds of clothes you buy, what you prefer to spend money on for entertainment, where you physically spend it... these are the sorts of things you have to be worried about being used against you by advertisers, especially as we enter an age of always-online and increasingly-tailored ad services.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Afraid of advertising

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

salt shakeup posted:

Afraid of advertising

Thank you for sharing your basic ability to phrase things reductively with the thead

It's better to be cagey about your habits than it is to freely submit every possible piece of relevant information about yourself to the Bank of America, Amazon, Google, etc. There are other ways they can get it, sure, but it's much more work than just checking your purchase history with them. It usually requires a human touch, and that's too much effort to figure out how to get just one person to give them more money.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

let it mellow posted:

Yeah I know and even said I would have lost all my shitcoins but holy poo poo with hindsight there was a lot of money to be made

if everybody on SA who was watching bitcoins to laugh at them had bought bitcoin for delivery pizzas in 2009, we would have altered the bitcoin/pizza exchange rate and caused a bubble before the first bitcoin bubble had even happened.

because 100s of thousands of bitcoins were now in the hands of goons who do nothing with them until 2018, the subsequent bubbles never happen and Litecoin becomes the dominant cryptocurrency. Bitcoin is relegated to being seen as the archaic prototype coin, only kept alive by a dedicated community of true believers on some weird internet forum.

people from other websites begin to mock them for their insane belief that their bitcoins will be worth $20k any day now, and they'll be super rich. they keep talking about the bubbles of 2013 and 2107, when Litecoin and Ethereum shot up in price but bitcoin remained at the steady price of 2000/pizza they've held for years. the bitcoiners of something awful insist that everyone else will be sorry they didn't buy bitcoins. even other cryptocurrency junkies laugh at them.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
[quote="Waltzing Along" post=""490503715”"]what is a couple hundred dollars thrown in the toilet?
[/quote]

A bitcoin!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

username/post :irony:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cannabis industry in the US pays cash. No checks because no banks want to touch weed money. Either 1099 or W2 employment, almost always paid in cash. That's all going to change sooner or later, but it's nice collecting an envelope stuffed with cash (and a summary stub) on pay day.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Must be nice when the IRS comes knocking, too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

McGiggins posted:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Guys. I have an idea for a new "currency."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bikicoin?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Waltzing Along posted:

Must be nice when the IRS comes knocking, too.

IRS doesn't care where you make your money as long as they get their cut.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

McGiggins posted:

In most developing countries with functional banking and debit/credit cards, there's massive problems with tax avoidance at all levels of society and, as a consequence, cash is the most common payment method. It's extremely common to get paid a part of your salary "informally" i.e. in undeclared cash. Not only do companies big and small do this - the loving government does it, no joke I knew people working for a state department being paid half their wages out of the system. And since the politicians are the ones doing it the most, there's no chance of it changing any time soon.

This happens a lot in Latin America for example - at the bigger chain supermarkets in big cities you can usually pay with debit/credit, but almost everywhere else you need to carry cash. In Europe you can go years without touching any physical money.

As for USA, well USA is a loving weird country

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 10, 2018

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

The White Dragon posted:

Thank you for sharing your basic ability to phrase things reductively with the thead

It's better to be cagey about your habits than it is to freely submit every possible piece of relevant information about yourself to the Bank of America, Amazon, Google, etc. There are other ways they can get it, sure, but it's much more work than just checking your purchase history with them. It usually requires a human touch, and that's too much effort to figure out how to get just one person to give them more money.

I mean he's right though, the big boogeyman that you're scared of here is targeted advertising. People will receive ads regardless of how they shop, they only difference is relevance to the individual. Who cares, honestly? How do you think targeted ads are going to harm you as compared to regular ads?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Liquid Communism posted:

IRS doesn't care where you make your money as long as they get their cut.

This, you get paperwork detailing exactly what you owe in taxes, it's not hard to file taxes properly on a purely cash income. The people who try to cheat the system deserve whatever they get.

I really can't stand the gently caress TAXES crowd, yeah I can't believe those loving government assholes want to take my money so I can drive on roads and have electricity and running water and a functioning society.

Hell, take more of my money and use it to take care of the homeless, please. Or even better, cut a couple of lovely jets out of the budget and take care of them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Japan is very strangely super cash oriented too. you can really only use credit cards in big ticket item stores or in touristy shopping areas.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

McGiggins posted:

eh. at this point in time, the US is basically been doing electronic and digital funds transfers for decades now, with the checks basically serving as a receipt of the transaction

over the year I probably "handle" about 60 something checks (rent, utilities, technically my direct deposit paychecks), but all of them are electronic and none of them are paper

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 10, 2018

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

tfw you're old enough to remember Bankcard.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I mean he's right though, the big boogeyman that you're scared of here is targeted advertising. People will receive ads regardless of how they shop, they only difference is relevance to the individual. Who cares, honestly? How do you think targeted ads are going to harm you as compared to regular ads?

Your internet and phone habits alone give up the data necessary for targeted ads, even if you pay cash for everything.

I do get people not wanting to give that information up to advertisers, but avoiding doing so requires more than avoiding electronic sales.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

it's not a bogeyman, it's a matter of privacy and a corporation's ability to specifically target their consumers. why spend tens of millions on shotgun ads that appeal to a "mass market" and can fail just as easily as they can succeed, when you can customize everything to the individual at little to no cost, and constantly bombard them with precisely-engineered advertising?

ad agencies aren't your friends, they aren't your buddies, why are you giving them all this data about yourself? information is a valuable commodity in the best of times, and a powerful weapon in the worst, and yet you give it freely to companies whose only interest is in getting as much money out of you as possible before you die.

in zuck we trust, all others pay cash

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

The White Dragon posted:

Do what I do. Spend thousands on items that don't match my marketing profile and immediately throw them away! The information machine won't know what hit it!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

exploded mummy posted:

eh. at this point in time, the US is basically been doing electronic and digital funds transfers for decades now, with the checks basically serving as a receipt of the transaction

over the year I probably "handle" about 60 something checks (rent, utilities, technically my direct deposit paychecks), but all of them are electronic and none of them are paper

Kinda crazy to think how backwards the US with these things.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Whenever I visit the US it blows my mind how far behind the card system is. Its like going back in time decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TTerrible posted:

the US. Its like going back in time decades.

Fixed that for anyone living in a first world country.