Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Accretionist posted:

edit: Also, would you be comfortable briefly commenting on your research area? It's my understanding that most EEG research is focused on identifying signals which can provide the basis for input/output interactions. Is that accurate?

I didn't see this edit when I made my initial response. broadly speaking, I work with a combination of brain-stimulation technologies such as TMS, and EEG. EEG is where you measure charges on the surface of the scalp, which are an electrical byproduct of your brain activity. as "brain scanning" technology goes, it's as cheap as it gets, since it basically consists of the initial cost of whatever electrical signal amplification system you purchase, plus the negligible cost of electrode paste to get good contact between your system and the voltages you are measuring. that is essentially what EEG does, amplify voltages you measure on the surface of the scalp and digitize them.

from what we measure, we can make some educated guesses about what's going on inside the brain both physiologically (what parts of the brain are doing what) and cognitively (what a person is sensing, perceiving, or feeling). there are major caveats to both of those things which make it more or less useless outside of the clinical setting and the hands of a trained expert--and by extention, that make things like what is seen in that article snake oil, to say nothing of how woefully inadequate I am sure the actual electrodes they use are. that said, it is the "input" side of the "input/output" equation for most brain computer interface technology, mostly by dint of being orders of magnitude cheaper than its main competitor, MRI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Tom Wheelwright has murdered someone and is wearing their skin like a mask

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

T-man posted:

Can you make me a joy wire/orgasm button? It's, uh, for a friend.

e: Tom wants to murder me, jesus

believe it or not, focused ultrasound may be your best bet for something like that, in terms of minimal tissue damage. as in, it would merely cause microlesions of the same kind football players get from concussions rather than the major cerebral lesions sustained by those rats skinner wired up for the brief and rapturous remainder of their lives

back more on topic, one thing bummed me out (as opposed to bewildered me), and that is the host of this bizarre ceremony:

I remember kind of mild-moderately enjoying some of that guy's videos. I wonder, does he ideologically identify with these marketing psychopaths, or did they just give him enough money to agree with it despite whatever principles he may personally hold?

to an informed observer I imagine it is a red flag that they couldn't front the money for Millenial Comedian Dan Nainan instead

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

of course, VR isn't even very useful today, but hey, maybe in a decade or two it will be even better, right?

Whoa, what the gently caress?

I've got the PS4 VR and it's insanely good. So good that I bought the resident evil VR game for full price, played it for 20 minutes, got so terrified that I haven't touched it since.

The other VR games are cools as hell though. I particularly like the one where I'm driving a tank.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
VR is pretty drat good now yeah, people who think it is still like it was in the 80s and 90s are mistaken. Although it still can't directly wire your brain into anything so.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

I've got the PS4 VR and it's insanely good. So good that I bought the resident evil VR game for full price, played it for 20 minutes, got so terrified that I haven't touched it since.

The other VR games are cools as hell though. I particularly like the one where I'm driving a tank.

i worked in a vr dealio for a while

vr tam is poo poo, market growth is poo poo. it'll be there but it turns out they wanted a smartphone-sized market and got a headphone-sized market instead. they wanted smartphone-sized usage (~double digit hours a week) and got like an hour or two a week

b2b usage is in training and will be only in training for foreseeable future

the tech is great, it does a god-tier demo, they won't pony up the cash

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

spacetoaster posted:

haha, yes well, I bet there will be some serious, legitimate good use for BCI technology a couple decades from now too, to stick to the metaphor I was using back there. that said, I suspect VR is still an immature technology compared to what it will be like in a couple of decades, and likewise, BCI is a technology that probably has an entire human lifetime between here and when it will really start to become fully mature

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best VR game is H3VR in that it lets you practice the motions with a wide assortment of firearms from the glorious Mosin Nagant to the majestic AK-74

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bob dobbs is dead posted:

vr tam is poo poo, market growth is poo poo. it'll be there but it turns out they wanted a smartphone-sized market and got a headphone-sized market instead. they wanted smartphone-sized usage (~double digit hours a week) and got like an hour or two a week

sounds like a capitalism issue not a technology issue

e:

quote:

the tech is great, it does a god-tier demo, they won't pony up the cash

heh

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I recently.did a VR escape room and it was good enough that it let me flip the bird, in the virtual world, to a virtual demon. Having tried 90's VR, I was very impressed with the capabilities.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

this is such a loving reach and maybe not even the right place for it but here goes. back when lf was around, i remember seeing a cartoon video posted of some dwarves or elves or some poo poo living in harmony with nature and then the industry revolution happened to them and there were huge smokestacks and poo poo got hosed quick. kinda wanna find that. peace (gently caress the rich)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
... the lord of the rings?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

no cause this video actually was good.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

the best VR game is H3VR in that it lets you practice the motions with a wide assortment of firearms from the glorious Mosin Nagant to the majestic AK-74

The future is now

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This guy runs https://www.capitalism.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc4I13qfV7Y

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I saw this today. So far, so Santa's Grotto. But this is a Grotto for dogs. Let your dog meet Santa. (For a fee)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

My trigger finger won't stop twitching.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Koishi Komeiji posted:

That capcon website is a trip. Just look at this:

I've never been to this con but I can 100% guarantee people show up in Patrick Bateman cosplay unironically. Like raincoat and little fake ax reciting the lines about Huey Lewis and the News verbatim.

Lol this is why you don't have universal healthcare

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ynohtna posted:

My trigger finger won't stop twitching.

My favorite part of that is when he does a deadlift, putting them chicken legs front and center

Imagine being the kind of rube that would walk away from watching that video with a genuine feeling of inspiration. Imagine going through life with the kind of brain possessed by that target audience, buzzing with that special mix of narcissism, gullibility, and delusion.

It's really a tragic type of a person, in kind of an understated way. Nothing good can come from having a mind like that

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rondette posted:

I saw this today. So far, so Santa's Grotto. But this is a Grotto for dogs. Let your dog meet Santa. (For a fee)

its so weird. i love dogs and treating them like kids, but dogs will never understand santa and xmas

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i have 2 dogs however i trained them to be jehova's witnesses so they are not allowed to celebrate holidays

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd imagine it's mostly for the pet owners so they can post pictures of their doggy on social media and pin to their cubicle's cork board so their office space is less grey

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

This makes me want to perform violence.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have a friend who works food service at a private school, and the lunchladies are actively supposed to shake down the kids for their outstanding debt

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Scary! posted:

I'd imagine it's mostly for the pet owners so they can post pictures of their doggy on social media and pin to their cubicle's cork board so their office space is less grey

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao perfect

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Public schools should serve breakfast, and lunch, free.

Sure am glad that piece of poo poo bailed out those banks with all of our money though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mr. Lobe posted:

as a neuroscientist who specializes in EEG and brain computer interfacing I can tell you that whoever is peddling this garbage (assuming it isn't a wholesale fabrication that China is doing something like this in the first place) is a complete snake oil salesman. I wish I could throttle people who peddle things like this on the market

I can't tell if it's better or worse than those fake bomb detectors that were sold to Iraq.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Anything that separates the rich and their wealth is a good thing. That's why I don't get upset for a luggage company forcing rich bastards to buy thousands of dollars of lovely wooden crap to prove themselves "worthy" of buying a handbag for half a million dollars.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

just a reminder that rhode island, which is where this is occurring, once gave former pitcher, libertarian, and all-around piece of poo poo curt schilling 75 million dollars to run an mmo company into the ground

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anything that separates the rich and their wealth is a good thing. That's why I don't get upset for a luggage company forcing rich bastards to buy thousands of dollars of lovely wooden crap to prove themselves "worthy" of buying a handbag for half a million dollars.

We live in a world with finite resources, and very few of the hucksters are playing robin hood with the stolen money. So things aren't exactly improved. Hell the game is rigged enough that the rich can pass any loss on to the workers.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Coolness Averted posted:

We live in a world with finite resources, and very few of the hucksters are playing robin hood with the stolen money. So things aren't exactly improved. Hell the game is rigged enough that the rich can pass any loss on to the workers.

Perhaps, but it's still heartwarming to see rich assholes get bilked out of money and then whine about it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mr. Lobe posted:

as a neuroscientist who specializes in EEG and brain computer interfacing I can tell you that whoever is peddling this garbage (assuming it isn't a wholesale fabrication that China is doing something like this in the first place) is a complete snake oil salesman. I wish I could throttle people who peddle things like this on the market

"Mr Lobe", :hmmyes: checks out.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Mr. Lobe posted:

but if we want to get into capitalism.png territory, you don't need to look further than this hot mess of press-baiting vaporware being peddled by none other than Musk himself.

I like how the article kept on mentioning that he made the comments about neuralink BEFORE he smoked the weed like 'yes he definitely was serious when he said this.'

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
gonna be exciting over the next twenty years as I get to find out if I start wearing a VR helmet to do my job or if I just get replaced by a computer program

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pirate Radar posted:

gonna be exciting over the next twenty years as I get to find out if I start wearing a VR helmet to do my job or if I just get replaced by a computer program

Use VR tech to make factory work look like a computer game. Sweet surroundings and 1 ups and poo poo for hitting their folding x boxes an hour targets.

But let them exchange the virtual coins for real ones.

E: Has anyone ever calculated how much they earn per minute and just sat there watching a clock crank out the pennies while working?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Outrail posted:

E: Has anyone ever calculated how much they earn per minute and just sat there watching a clock crank out the pennies while working?

To the second.

When I worked for a multi-national wood products corp, I earned about .45055556 cents/second.
I figured the CEO's by his annual salary at something like $13.28/second based on a 40 hour week

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/1070561240353816576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

quote:

Minimum Wage Machine (Work in Progress) (2008-2010)

Custom electronics, change sorter, wood, plexiglas, motor, misc. hardware, pennies.
(approx. 15 x 19 x 72 inches)

The minimum wage machine allows anybody to work for minimum wage. Turning the crank will yield one penny every 4.00 seconds, for $9.00 an hour, or NY state minimum wage (2016). If the participant stops turning the crank, they stop receiving money. The machine's mechanism and electronics are powered by the hand crank, and pennies are stored in a plexiglas box. The MWM can be reprogrammed as minimum wage changes, or for wages in different locations.

http://www.blakefallconroy.com/18.html