Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

How does a Foster of the North Star game get an English dub but Yakuza still doesn't? I know the first was ps2 era and bad but was it really enough to make it so there wouldn't be another ever?

The Yakuza spinoff coming next year, Judgment, is getting an English dub. I guess we'll see what happens if they do, but if I'm honest, the video they released isn't the most inspiring thing I've seen, but it could still work out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCfWwTn_ftY

Apparently ProZD is doing some voice acting for it, which means I really hope Judgment has sidequests as crazy as Yakuza does, because he's the right guy to deliver that sorta thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I guess I am probably in the minority. I like the Yakuza games and have played a decent amount of most of them but I'd prefer if they had a dub.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Cleretic posted:

Apparently ProZD is doing some voice acting for it

I hope we get a sidestory that's literally just just this. Because if anyone would do something silly like that it's the Yakuza devs.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

I guess I am probably in the minority. I like the Yakuza games and have played a decent amount of most of them but I'd prefer if they had a dub.

You definitely are, I can't see myself playing any Ryu Ga Studio games with English voices.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Still playing Zelda BOTW, and I've just discovered a thing.

In this game, at night, there's skeletal enemies coming out of the ground. They aren't dangerous, one hit makes them crumble. Then they try to put themselves back together, but you can destroy their head before they do, killing them for goot.

Well I've just discovered you can pick up the heads, and you get the usual prompts of (A) put down and (R) throw. Only if you push R Link doesn't throw the head, he drops it in front of himself and then kicks it as far as he can.

Now I'm having entirely too much fun crumbling skeletons, and then kicking their heads off cliffs, into swamps and rivers, etc.

And likewise, you are fighting big enemies near a cliff but can't be bothered to kill them outright? Just equip a heavy weapon, if you land two strikes in quick succession you send the enemies flying. So now whenever I'm in a hurry or something I just biff enemies off cliffs.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Japanese style acting doesn't work too well with English dubbing I noticed. Like for example the propensity to repeat every second thing someone just said in a conversation with a question mark.

Take MGS. Kojima is a total western-weeb and all his characters are american yet Snake's like "Metal Gear?!" all the time. It works in MGS though because the characters are supposed to be american/european.

Vic has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Dec 9, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My partner finally got around to playing BotW and within 3 hours had solved 2 types of korok puzzles I'd never noticed, found a couple of shrines I'd never seen, and taught me that you can hide in barrels and sneak up on enemies. The number of small things in this game is astounding.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Riatsala posted:

My partner finally got around to playing BotW and within 3 hours had solved 2 types of korok puzzles I'd never noticed, found a couple of shrines I'd never seen, and taught me that you can hide in barrels and sneak up on enemies. The number of small things in this game is astounding.

Which style were they?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I gotta say, the head-explodey death animations are waaaaay more disturbing in the game than I remember the anime being. Like, I'm genuinely uncomfortable. So I guess that's a well-done little thing?

Most of the executions are kinda cartoony and don't faze me but there's one specific technique that Toki of all people teach you that's pretty hosed up, even if he says "Oh, they're actually feeling joy instead of pain before dying, no worries"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es4Vn-J2lao

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Recursive betrayal is a time-honored tradition, especially among viziers.

Never trust the grand vizier.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean the general audience in the west for a Yakuza game is probably going to prefer the japanese voice acting by default. Why even bother?

Another big thing is that the characters are pretty faithful recreations of their VAs with motion cap. Even an excellent dub is going to cause some uncanny valley there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I remember my brother struggling with a maze and ball puzzle in BOTW and I went to give it a try.

I flipped the tablet upside down :smuggo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

I remember my brother struggling with a maze and ball puzzle in BOTW and I went to give it a try.

Most people do it that way. The alternative is to turn it 90 degrees counter-clockwise so the ball just falls right into the channel you need to flick it onto the far ramp.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

I don't know anyone that did it the right way. I used the table as a ping pong paddle and hit the ball where it needed to be

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Vic posted:

Japanese style acting doesn't work too well with English dubbing I noticed. Like for example the propensity to repeat every second thing someone just said in a conversation with a question mark.

Take MGS. Kojima is a total western-weeb and all his characters are american yet Snake's like "Metal Gear?!" all the time. It works in MGS though because the characters are supposed to be american/european.

Fun fact, but that's a cultural thing akin to someone saying 'yeah?' or 'uh huh' in american english, meant to show you're being polite and actually listening :eng101:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Jagi's whole deal is that he hates Kenshiro for being chosen as the successor for their martial art style and he fought him years back and lost and Kenshiro deformed him as you can see in that video. I can't remember if he was trying to kill Kenshiro then or not. Jagi's condition being worse than most people's and it being CGI means it looks much brutal than most of the in game ones.

I've only ever watched the '86 film, but yes, Jagi is basically Iago was definitely the aggressor. Ken almost exploded his head in casual self defense before Jagi relieved the pressure and fled. He always did have a glass jaw.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Amongst non-native Japanese speakers conversing with natives, not leaving in pauses while talking to give the other person the opportunity to interject with brief reactions is a super common mistake.

In translation it's ultimately like putting in every "It can't be helped" though, if at all possible you should probably change it to something more natural in the target language.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ShootaBoy posted:

Fun fact, but that's a cultural thing akin to someone saying 'yeah?' or 'uh huh' in american english, meant to show you're being polite and actually listening :eng101:

It's also a consequence of basically every Metal Gear outside of MGS1 being a largely direct translation. There's actually a lot less of that in the original MGS1, because it was adapted more heavily by American localization. Which Kojima didn't like, leading to everything after it being more literally translated--and hence, more of that particular cultural thing.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Len posted:

I don't know anyone that did it the right way. I used the table as a ping pong paddle and hit the ball where it needed to be

The only thing anyone can agree on with that puzzle is the absolute worst way to do it is to actually spend 30 seconds per attempt moving that ball through the maze so you can again not get anywhere close to actually launching it where it's supposed to go.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Japanese games are very fond of the word "culprit" and the phrase "let's do our best!" Which I always figured was a japanese language thing that sounds goofy in english

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Japanese games are very fond of the word "culprit" and the phrase "let's do our best!" Which I always figured was a japanese language thing that sounds goofy in english

It can't be helped. But please look forward to it!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Please treat me favorably!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mierenneuker posted:

It can't be helped. But please look forward to it!

Oh! This is a very ubiquitous phrase, you know? But if you forget it, I will never forgive you!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If i never hear the word "unforgivable" again, it will still be too soon

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

HenryEx posted:

If i never hear the word "unforgivable" again, it will still be too soon

Tch! You need to relax, you know?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
What are you saying? Is this really okay? Don't screw around with me!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Queen Combat posted:

What are you saying? Is this really okay? Don't screw around with me!

W-what? Don't screw around with you?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's a [loan word from English]...

A [loan word from English]?

Yes, they're [just says the loan word from English again]

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
THIS IS US, WE HAVE TURNED INTO RONNIE

*sobs into his McNuggets*

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Tch! You need to relax, you know?

What a pain...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Screaming Idiot posted:

THIS IS US, WE HAVE TURNED INTO RONNIE

*sobs into his McNuggets*

Daaamn iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! *camera tilts to then sky*

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm gonna rise to the top. I'm going to show the world... my true power!

*sideways pan from the headshot into a windy meadow, with flower petals blowing*

*anachronistic J-pop tune plays*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That technique" Strikes the three vital points on the face in rapid succession.

Was that a classical Jiu-Jitsu "Finger Hold"?!

Holy poo poo! Not even a rifle can kill a karate master!

A full-power low strike which was thrown with perfect timing. The impact travelled through the viscera, until it reach the heart.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm not sure where to go next. But that person might know...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The only Yakuza dubbing I care about is Mark Hamill as Majima because really now.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I can dig it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

The only Yakuza dubbing I care about is Mark Hamill as Majima because really now.

Can I get a Yakuza 0 dlc that just replaces Majima with Mark Hamill's joker voice and touches nothing else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Len posted:

Can I get a Yakuza 0 dlc that just replaces Majima with Mark Hamill's joker voice and touches nothing else?

I like the idea of an insane clown voice over dead serious, normal guy dialogue.