Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

https://youtu.be/8nRC7PdNsHg

You got your OSHA in my Smash Brothers!

This is a pro click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Luneshot posted:

This is a pro click

I was annoyed by his style/voice at first, but the video grows on you and is pretty good!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buttcoin purse posted:

"Oh my God, we're all going to die! I don't want to die a virgin!" the instructor said, rather than simply advancing the throttle.

Advancing the throttle would be the last thing you want to do in a uncontrolled steep dive. The wing fell off because they were way over speed.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomPauI posted:

https://youtu.be/8nRC7PdNsHg

You got your OSHA in my Smash Brothers!

Steel Erection... Skipped.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Edit i posted in wrong thread!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

https://i.imgur.com/MRsG5aK.mp4

Maybe there should be OSHA for cats

This is why you always get one with a flared base.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Or without a flared base, put up a command hook or something and tie it off to the tree with string/twine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Or you could bolster twelve husk nuts to each girdle jerry while flex tandems press a task apparatus of 10 vertically composited patch handlers. Then pin flam fastened pan traps at both maiden apexes of the jim joints.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But what if one of the cross beams goes out askew on the treadle?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

jobson groeth posted:

This is why you always get one with a flared base.

I can think of several lines of work in which this sentence is good advice.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Powershift posted:

Or you could bolster twelve husk nuts to each girdle jerry while flex tandems press a task apparatus of 10 vertically composited patch handlers. Then pin flam fastened pan traps at both maiden apexes of the jim joints.

Correct answer

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

patriot is a good show

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wall Balls posted:

patriot is a good show

so loving good.

e: Also, the second season just came out, it doesn't focus so much on the structural dynamics of flow but it's still pretty drat good.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 9, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

haveblue posted:

But what if one of the cross beams goes out askew on the treadle?

Well what on earth does that mean?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/zLJ38nJ.gifv

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That owns pretty loving hard.

Content:

When we first moved to Sicily, we were stuck in a local apartment complex for a bit as temporary housing while the Mineo housing complex got finished. Every shower had an electrical outlet on the opposite side of the shower head, at about chest-height. The building shorted out about once a week, somehow without getting anyone electrocuted in that time. I think we were only there for about a month, but it was a nerve-wracking month for sure.

schmug
May 20, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The real OSHA is the bank of outlets on the wall. It's like the British Grover House.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

McSpanky posted:

No shoes were lost

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Kith posted:

That owns pretty loving hard.

Content:

When we first moved to Sicily, we were stuck in a local apartment complex for a bit as temporary housing while the Mineo housing complex got finished. Every shower had an electrical outlet on the opposite side of the shower head, at about chest-height. The building shorted out about once a week, somehow without getting anyone electrocuted in that time. I think we were only there for about a month, but it was a nerve-wracking month for sure.

I'm sorry is that a bath tap that just pours all over the floor?
Or a GIANT ROOM SIZED BATH?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ak Gara posted:

That's the thing that bugs you about that picture? :raise:

It's a handheld shower head, you can pick it up and, uh, wash yourself one-handed. Most setups like that have a clip up high where you can secure it to make it work sort of like a normal shower.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

What is this facial expression?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

What is this facial expression?

Wishing he had something other than his finger to grout those corners?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

violent sex idiot posted:

the tires are probably not filled with a compressed gas for something that big i think

Hah. Hahahahaha. Nitrogen at 90-120 psi. When those tires go, each one is like a grenade going on. Seriously, the most dangerous part about working around haul trucks is tired drivers, followed closely by the tires. If you're nearby when they go off, you might lose your hearing, along with getting a nice showering of fast moving rocks.

Edit: Nitrogen is used because it's dry. Air has a lot of water vapor in it, and so it's much more susceptible to volumetric changes based on temperature. Nitrogen doesn't change it's volume as much as the tire heats up and cools off.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 10, 2018

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sammus posted:

Nitrogen is used because it's dry. Air has a lot of water vapor in it, and so it's much more susceptible to volumetric changes based on temperature. Nitrogen doesn't change it's volume as much as the tire heats up and cools off.

Where can I read more about this? I would normally assume that water vapor is an ideal gas, like nitrogen or oxygen—so the pressure of all three would depend identically on temperature. How big a departure are we talking?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Water in the tires can exist as a liquid or as a gas, or a combination thereof, depending on ambient temperature and tire pressure:

and a given quantity of liquid water will expand to about 1700x its volume when it turns to vapor. Even a small change in the balance of gas/liquid water will therefore have a drastic effect on tire pressure.

Nitrogen (or any other common atmospheric gas) doesn't liquefy at the temperatures a car tire experiences, so it doesn't have the same effect. If you were driving around at 72 kelvin it would.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's the thing that bugs you about that picture? :raise:

It's a handheld shower head, you can pick it up and, uh, wash yourself one-handed. Most setups like that have a clip up high where you can secure it to make it work sort of like a normal shower.

That one does, it's the bar that leads up out of frame. The clip slides along it for custom shower head height, it's pretty nifty.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Ak Gara posted:

Not sure if this is true for Sicily, but that setup looks similar to what I’ve seen in working class Caribbean homes. You use the spigot to fill up buckets to hand wash clothes or take bucket baths. Saves a ton of water (money).

Electric Cords were common in Caribbean showers. Many showers had “suicide shower heads” which had a electric heating unit built into the shower head plugged into the wall or house wiring. I kept getting shocked by mine and had the landlord remove the fuse for it. Would rather take cold showers then get electrocuted.

grenada fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 10, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Essentially, water vapour isn't an ideal gas, because the temperatures and pressures you're talking about are so close to where it's going to condense back into liquid.

Nitrogen is an ideal gas in this situation, but of course it would have similar issues if you were at a temperature/pressure close to where it condenses.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, I've seen similar layouts in India and China too. The outlet on the back wall is for an electric clothes drying rack (or presumably other appliances).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s a gif that’s been posted more than once ITT of a safety cage, designed to contain those tires in the event of a blowout, having a blowout deliberately triggered inside it. The blast deforms the thick steels bars.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

C.M. Kruger posted:

Copying a post from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

That led me to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NokGZ4d9mrk

The 911 operator is amazing. She sounds like she gets a call from a crashed airplane like two or three times per month. "Where did you fly out of? Where were you flying to? Did you file a flight plan? Is your GPS working? Is your emergency beacon working?"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m a diver and have spent entirely too much time around high-pressure cylinders to ever truly trust them. Full tanks (generally over 3,000psi) demand your respect, and will punish you terribly for forgetting. Usually by transforming itself into a missile, with lots of loud hissing, whooshing, and potentially shrapnel. Mythbusters doing a show and shooting one through a cinder block wall (and part of another cinder block wall) is a sobering video.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Where can I read more about this? I would normally assume that water vapor is an ideal gas, like nitrogen or oxygen—so the pressure of all three would depend identically on temperature. How big a departure are we talking?

It's not the water vapor, it's the oxygen. The rubber in the tires has oxygen scavengers in the compound to prevent oxidation and cracking. A tire filled with air will lose about 20% of its pressure as the oxygen reacts. For trucks carrying heavy loads, the pressure needs to be high and stay high so filling them with nitrogen saves a lot of fussing with the tire pressure.

F1 cars also use nitrogen in the tires because a few tenths of a PSI can make a noticeable difference in the car's handling. They run their tires hot enough that the oxygen reacts much faster and tires will measurably change pressure within a few laps.

For passenger cars, it makes no difference at all, as the pressure loss is very slow and doesn't have that much impact on the car. Checking your tire pressure every week or two is enough.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use argon for slower leakage.

Catch: it has higher mass at the same pressure.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fill your tires with liquid water, that'll show 'em who's boss :krakken:

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Story time from my personal hell

At my retail store the other day, when I had to come in at 4am to work on online orders, a fire happened about 2 hours into my shift. The trash compactor apparently had an electric short in it which caught the trash on fire. Now, my packing station is about the furthest point away from the compactor obliquely while still being in the backroom, and I can smell smoke minutes before the alarms go off.

The alarm sounds and for a second everyone looks around in a daze. There's like 20 people here this early, everyone is scattered around this huge store and barely anyone knows what to do. Is this a drill? Where do we go? I realize that they never told me where our external rally point was, let alone the three seasonal people I'm working with. The backroom fire door is down a ten foot wide fire lane that cuts the stockroom into two sections, and since it's fourth quarter, U-boats and flatbeds and pallets full of product are lining the fire lane wall to wall with barely any room to get down the hall to the fixture room, much less the fire exit.

The walkie squawks to life, with finally someone giving us directions after a minute or two. Everyone needs to move out the closest fire exit and meet at the billboard on the far end of the parking lot. Okay cool, except we can't get to the fire exit because of pallets and pallets of merchandise that was meant to be backstocked days ago but no one ever got around to it. I see people heading from the other stockroom to the floor and I have my group follow them because hey this might be a real fire, they look like they know what they're doing.
We end up going to the other side of the store by the employee check in area, because it was the next closest fire exit (that wasn't blocked by pallets)
We meet up with the rest of the employees by the big sign and take attendance.

A few people had jackets on, most of us didnt, and it was about 35 degrees Fahrenheit out. One of the girls working softlines didn't have a jacket and was 8 months pregnant, so me and a few others made a human wall to block out the wind chill for her. Thankfully, there's a fire station literally across the street from the store, so it doesn't take much time for them to get over here and help.
After thirty minutes in the numbing cold, someone asks if we can at least move cars over and warm up in them, which they allowed for a couple of minutes before letting us back in to the store and letting us congregate in the cafe.
However, we had thirty minutes before we opened (and the manager on site never even considered otherwise) so we had better finish getting the store ready for the customers.

Customers complained about the smell of smoke, and we couldn't go to the backroom until it had been properly ventilated, and I was pretty sure most of my orders were gonna get soaked from the sprinklers.
In fact, my station was fine, mainly because the sprinklers are above the huge rear end shelves, and not above the walking area in my section.
The fire marshal said that the fire lane, which has multiple signs saying that no equipment can be in the lane, has to be clear at all times and needs to be fixed immediately. It took less than two days for it to be clogged again.

Tl;dr a fire happened at my garbage retail store, skeleton crew has work piled up so bad that we couldn't get to fire exits and if the fire was any worse we'd all have died. Management barely cared to fix the problem, and only until they weren't being watched, also bad sprinkler placement (electronics stockroom was right next to the compactor and got soaked)

Edit: sorry if the spacing looks bad I'm posting from mobile

clockwork chaos fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 10, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

Fill your tires with liquid water, that'll show 'em who's boss :krakken:

Someone beat you to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmGAmsgaLJ4

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"Water's compressible right?"

Also tires are for pussies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibHi2a2Lww

(Russian BonJovi bonus)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Flannelette posted:

"Water's compressible right?"

Technically, yes.

For every additional atmosphere of pressure you apply to it, water increases in density by about 0.0046%

So it's a few percent denser at the bottom of the deep parts of the ocean, topping out at maybe 5% at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

jemand posted:

Lost my shoes down a river 20 years ago, helpfully removed from my body by the wash current under a waterfall in a set of rapids. Zombie life is good.

OSHA tip: when white water rafting, ensure that the grab handles on the rafts have not all ripped off. After several failed attempts at grabbing the slippery craft directly I did grab one of the extremely few functional handles about half a second before my head went under. RIP shoes though.

Yo Zombie Buddy.

Did the exact same stunt close to 40 yrs ago.
The Chilliwack River did me in.
No handles to grab, Oar broke in my hands.
Drunk.
Ended up stuck on a rock in the middle of the river.

Good Times.