Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Babylon had a lot more moments that 'popped' and got great laughs/cheers, but Camelot had a stronger narrative arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Camelot made me cry :(

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Both Camelot and Babylonia are good. :hmmyes:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ibaraki being summoned and immediately leaving for the mountain to survive the singularity with her bandit gang was a god-tier move AND IT WORKED.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Asimo posted:

Both Camelot and Babylonia are good. :hmmyes:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm behind so I just got the the first fight against Tiamat and it's amazing how good Asterios is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

camelot and babylonia are going for different things. camelot is the big statement of intent that, hey, this game can actually tell really effective, dramatic narratives and not just veer between 'mediocre' and 'pretty good for a mobage,' babylonia is the comedy relief before and then build-up to solomon

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Is it OK to post about finally getting a bond 10 servant here?

Only 6/10/6 but that's because I have no snek jewels or void dust. He is grailed out to 100 and has as many fous as I can give him for now though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Stop talking about how great camelot and bablyonia are im still stuck on stupid boring london

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Edwhirl posted:

Is it OK to post about finally getting a bond 10 servant here?

Only 6/10/6 but that's because I have no snek jewels or void dust. He is grailed out to 100 and has as many fous as I can give him for now though.

Good news, Babylonia's second half has an ABUNDANT number Void Dust drops. Sadly lacking on Snek Jewels though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rorahusky posted:

Sadly lacking on Snek Jewels though.

That is what the Christmas Lotto was for!

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
The attitudes and expectations of Ishtar are completely different now than they were in JP. A lot of people were very mad that Ishtar was not 100% Rin. That soured a lot of people on her. In NA it was expected. Most people had more favorable reactions towards Ereshkigal and wanted her around instead of Ishtar, making Ishtar "useless."

And the useless goddess meme is a direct comparison to Aqua, who herself isn't completely useless. Aqua resurrects many people, is essential in defeating several Demon King generals and is pretty fun to be around most of the time. She's just also a little poo poo that makes things worse as often as she makes things better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Eresh is the best anyway so.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Also, even after Babylon, I still don't get where does the whole "Ishtar is total bitch" thing comes from. I was constantly expecting her to do something horrible to justify that reputation, but my first impression of her being spoiled and slightly dumber Rin was pretty much spot on and she was great through the whole singularity so....:confused:

did you miss the parts where
She killed a mountain just because she felt like it, she sent a monster to wreck a city because someone didn't want to bang her, and stole a God's Divinity and Treasures by getting him wasted then stealing them all? Like she's comedic because she's a doofus but Gilgamesh gives you tons of stories throughout the Singularity on why Ishtar's an rear end in a top hat. Like it is hard to notice sometimes because he's relentlessly dunking on her but she did a bunch of horrible stuff.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
eh she's a god, so what

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every servant did horrible stuff tho idk why youd single ishtar specifically out for it when like, napoleon was the original bonapartist and everyone still wants to suck on his pecs

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I like Ishtar because the black hair looks way better than the blonde.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Endorph posted:

every servant did horrible stuff tho idk why youd single ishtar specifically out for it when like, napoleon was the original bonapartist and everyone still wants to suck on his pecs

I'm not saying they didn't do awful things, I'm just saying that 'man guys it just seems like Ishtar didn't do anything bad' isn't really right. Maybe read the post I'm quoting instead of acting like I just randomly decided to note the bad things Ishtar did.

I'm equal opportunity 'almost all servants were assholes when they were alive'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I like Ishtar because the black hair looks way better than the blonde.

i like eresh because she has way better fashion sense

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

but her rider version's jacket looks so good??

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Stallion Cabana posted:

did you miss the parts where
She killed a mountain just because she felt like it, she sent a monster to wreck a city because someone didn't want to bang her, and stole a God's Divinity and Treasures by getting him wasted then stealing them all? Like she's comedic because she's a doofus but Gilgamesh gives you tons of stories throughout the Singularity on why Ishtar's an rear end in a top hat. Like it is hard to notice sometimes because he's relentlessly dunking on her but she did a bunch of horrible stuff.

But this is a different person, a fusion of Rin and Ishtar instead of the exact same goddess that did those things. All of those things happened in Mesopotamian mythology, not this game.

Also, do you need to spoiler tag stuff from mythology from over 4000 years ago?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

BlazeEmblem posted:

But this is a different person, a fusion of Rin and Ishtar instead of the exact same goddess that did those things. All of those things happened in Mesopotamian mythology, not this game.

Also, do you need to spoiler tag stuff from mythology from over 4000 years ago?

I think it's relevant to the game itself isn't it? The events given are things talked about in the Singularity so I spoiled them because someone might not know of them and then they'll show up later.

As for if it's relevant or not because of the spoiler, While Ishtar the Servant is a composite of Rin and Ishtar, Ishtar herself says it's like 70-30 her, and it's not like she argues 'well that wasn't me, that was a different version' when Gilgamesh brings these things up. Even on Mount Ebih, when you first beat her up, Ishtar says 'well I'm still Ishtar, and the greater me is still Ishtar, even though we're different' or something to that effect. I don't the idea is to give Ishtar a blank check on her previous actions just because she has some Rin in her now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A some of that stuff can also be read in more positive lights, showing her bravery and determination. Her standing up to challenges and the like.

Also, it's not like she didn't try and do good. Like (underworld spoiler) the reveal that the entire reason she made her first trip to the underworld was to tell Eresh she could just leave if she hated the job so much.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I guess? I'm just saying brushing all her bad stuff under the table isn't correct. It's not like I'm saying she's an irredeemable dickhead or anything either. She's done bad things and she does good things, so yeah she's kinda a turd even if she also is rather comedic in being kind of a greedy air-head. About the same as most people. :shrug:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Look,

Ishtar is Tsun Rin.

Eresh is Dere Rin.

Both are still good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One sentiment that I saw thrown around a lot elsewhere was that "Ishtar is just a thot wearing a Rin skin suit" and that couldn't be more profoundly distant from the actual truth of her character in Babylonia and feels quite dismissive. Like I guess she's not Literally Rin in the same way Waver was but to suggest she is both not unmistakably a Tohsaka Rin-like character (and well her own independent, well realized character as well) is extraordinarily silly given how the story plays out; on top of weirdly bringing her mythological sexual exploits into the conversation as a negative when it doesn't really factor into the narrative at all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, the entire point is that Ishtar is NOT the same as the Mesopotamian goddess Ishtar. More specifically, the actual malicious portions of her original self are basically entirely suppressed due to the influence of Rin's personality. So while demi-servant Ishtar can certainly be petty and greedy (as those are certainly traits Rin shares), she's not actually truly spiteful or prone to go on destructive rampages at the drop of a hat due to things not going her way.

It's kind of important to remember that the goddess Ishtar was considered to have done a lot of good things for Mesopotamia alongside her various destructive and vengeful acts - it's even mentioned in the singularity that she was respected, not just feared. So the only Ishtar appearing in FGO is the one who still does those good things, but doesn't follow through on the other side of the coin.

You can also extrapolate that this all is why Gilgamesh is merely taunting her most of the time, rather than going ballistic, given just how much he likely despises the actual goddess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like Rin. So Ishtar is great and I am upset that I do not have her.

Extra Rin is also good, but I don't know why anyone would bring that up since I don't see a blonde haired Rin anywhere right now up for grabs.....:smith:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Plutonis posted:

Gareth already has a character design though, I could see her getting in on a situation like Eresh

It's generally assumed that everybody in the leaked list already had their designs finalized.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Characters that cause a bit of mischief are fun. Devote yourself to the Church of Ishtar.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 10, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rintar is good and not purestrain Ishtar otherwise Gilgamesh would have nuked her on site with EA

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Note that for all people hype Eresh, she's not a pure cinnamon roll either. It's just less obvious.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Eresh spent 10 years digging out under Uruk so she could destroy it, she's terrible in the best way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

She also probably wouldn't hesitate to kill us and stuff us in one of those soul birdcages to keep for herself if she thought she could get away with it!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

I have both 4 Lancers and 4 Archers of the 4-5* variety but I'll still roll for Eresh for that very reason. I got Ishtar on a random 10 roll though so I guess I'm not exactly saving for favourites here.

Edit: Babylon is also making me remember want to roll for Gorgon as a Medusa fan.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Also, it's not like she didn't try and do good. Like (underworld spoiler) the reveal that the entire reason she made her first trip to the underworld was to tell Eresh she could just leave if she hated the job so much.

In the original version of the myth, I think Ishtar was trying to save one of her husbands, so she had a pretty decent reason even in the myth.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Omobono posted:

Jalter and Chloe bully creation Goddess mercilessly.

So, the Goldenrod we all know and love is from what period in his life, before he met Enkidu, right?
Whereas this singularity Gil was the wiser, older one from after he mellowed out a lot?

Basically at the end of the Epic, is what I believe. Wise King is from after he returns, mellows out, and actually starts ruling.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

I did it. That was exhausting.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Dee Ehm posted:

I did it. That was exhausting.

Check your inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Besides, it's not like Ishtar is the first terrible person we've recruited. Might I remind everyone that the MC is currently palling around with such gems as:

A crazed Yandere dragonsnake lady who believes that we're her reincarnated husband and is violently possessive of us.

Not one, not two, but three different versions of one of the most infamous Greek monstrosity in legend, as well as her two incredibly spoiled sister goddesses.

Two different versions of a literal Child Murderer who went off the deep end when his Saint was burned at the stake.

A crazed masked stalker who lived in an Opera and murdered people because he had a weird crush on an actress.

A countess who rung out women's blood and bathed in it, as well as three different versions of her as a young girl.

A misguided and selfish emperor who fiddled while her city burned, as well as her completely insane uncle.

A loli serial killer who wants to rip women open and crawl into their guts.

The most (in)famous seeker of vengance of all time.

A drunken Oni and her protege.

And that's all just in the English version of the game. People like to rag on Ishtar as being a horrible person because they wanted Rin and she's not 100% Rin, but she's far from the worse we have on our side.