Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Jamaica is the country that gave us the word Voodoo. Am I the only one to remember that? If you wonder how they celebrate the dead, you can probably guess - it's weird enough to have documentaries made in National Geographic.

Voodoo is from the Haitian word “voudon” (also “voudoun” and “voudou”), which comes from the Fon language of Benin and Togo.

But, yeah, there are lots of similarities between voodoo and obeah, the traditional religion of many Jamaicans.

Not sure which specific obeah funerary practices you’re referring to? The nine-night wake is unusual to many people from different traditions (esp because embalming is not the norm in Jamaica), but it’s only different from most European traditions in its length and some of the incidental rituals like turning the pots over, turning the deceased’s clothes inside out, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

:saddowns: I mixed up Haiti and Jamaica. Yes you are all correct, it's Obeah in Jamaica, and while releated to the other West African traditions it's certainly distinct from the much more publicised Haitian practices

I filled in the blanks of my memory with voodoo, literally

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Dec 9, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:saddowns: I mixed up Haiti and Jamaica.

Mr. President, you have toilet paper stuck to your shoe.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That does make me wonder what they get up to when it comes to mourning in Jamaica.

not this

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Jamaica is the country that gave us the word Voodoo. Am I the only one to remember that? If you wonder how they celebrate the dead, you can probably guess - it's weird enough to have documentaries made in National Geographic.

wrong

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/1071548226862428160

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Inspiring

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Dec 9, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/CBSPhilly/status/1071152913857302528?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Finally a scandal that makes catholicism look good.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That’s the 7th pit of the 8th circle of Hell. Harsh, but fair

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

That’s the 7th pit of the 8th circle of Hell.
Vegas is?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Knormal posted:

Vegas is?

Hell to some, heaven to others.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AND ONLY ONE TEAM CAN STOP THEM

COMING THIS SUMMER

SISTER ACT 3

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sister Act 3 is actually in development, but it's exclusive to Disney+.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I’m not surprised. My wife went to Catholic school and all the nuns there gambled. One taught her how to bet on horses.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know what, maybe that's not good, but I'll take it over horribly mistreating children and burying their corpses in mass graves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

You know what, maybe that's not good, but I'll take it over horribly mistreating children and burying their corpses in mass graves.

It doesn't work that way, sadly. You take the gambling and embezzling side of the mob, you also get the abuse and murder on the side. :smith:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

beep-beep car is go posted:

I’m not surprised. My wife went to Catholic school and all the nuns there gambled. One taught her how to bet on horses.

They say it's very hard to break the habit.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

beep-beep car is go posted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46503284

Roger the jacked up kangaroo has passed. :smithcloud:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Simply Simon posted:

What did you study? I am a Chemist and our entire Bachelor's in Germany looked like this:
Monday - Friday: Lectures from 8 AM (8:15 because academia) to 12:00, lunch break
Three days of the week: 1 PM - 6 PM (usually): lab courses

There was no choice on anything in this curriculum. Admittedly none* of the lectures was required, but you better attend or you're gonna fail.

*or some? It's been a while, and I went to every one in the first two semesters anyway, and that's why I'm still a Chemist.

In this case it was math classes for a math minor. My majors were pretty much always at more reasonable hours or at least had multiple slots for those of us that aren't morning people. The most offending class in question was the introduction to advanced mathematics class that was a requirement for absolutely everything that was 301 or higher. So to get a math minor and to get to the CS-related stuff I wanted to take (you know, advanced discrete mathematics, linear algebra, that kind of thing) I had to take that class. I think one section of it was taught every semester but it was only ever at 8 a.m. The final was, of course, also at 8 a.m. The professor on the first day was even all like "I guess this is a right of passage or something. No other class happens at 8 a.m. and only 8 a.m." I survived it but wasn't happy about it.

I also managed to get an A. Somehow.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
WA Museum’s ‘glory hole’ acquisition sparks controversy

quote:

The boss of the Western Australian Museum says its recent acquisition of a Gosnells “glory hole” was not meant to be controversial and was reflective of the institution’s duty to represent the whole community.

The donated piece is a train station toilet door with a hole cut into it that was used by gay men in the Perth beat scene for covert sex at a time when homosexuality in WA was illegal.

quote:

“I’m not sure it is a suitable exhibit to be seen by school-children who will flock to the new WA Museum when it is completed.” Shadow Culture and the Arts Minister Tony Krsticevic said.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I'm sorry, Shadow Culture and the Arts Minister? Is this Museum in Hogwarts?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

I'm sorry, Shadow Culture and the Arts Minister? Is this Museum in Hogwarts?

Shadow is the term for opposition minister. You have the elected offical who is the minister for arts and then an elected member of the opposition is given the portfolio to stay abreast of everything that is going on in that ministry as well.

Basically it's the opposition trying to stir up a culture war to win the homophobic vote.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Like you have the senate and the shadow senate, right?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

jobson groeth posted:

Shadow is the term for opposition minister. You have the elected offical who is the minister for arts and then an elected member of the opposition is given the portfolio to stay abreast of everything that is going on in that ministry as well.

Basically it's the opposition trying to stir up a culture war to win the homophobic vote.

That's pretty cool. In theory.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aleph Null posted:

That's pretty cool. In theory.

Stirring up a culture war to win the homophobic vote is aggressively uncool.

hth

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don't they have this in the UK as well? I'm surprised there are people who've never heard of it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I was very excited to learn that the British government had a position called Shadow Lord Chancellor, and very disappointed to learn what it actually entailed. I would hope they'd at least get a high collared robe and a staff shaped like a snake.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shadow Lord Chancellor

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jojoinnit posted:

Like you have the senate and the shadow senate, right?

No. Shadow ministers are elected members of the major opposition party or coalition, so either MPs or senators in their own right - just as government ministers are elected members of the majority party or coalition.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

You're gonna have to Guy-Goodbody this for me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Johnny Aztec posted:

The headline just happens to have a picture that matches a popular racist Jewish caricature

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Platystemon posted:

Stirring up a culture war to win the homophobic vote is aggressively uncool.

hth

I meant the first paragraph you disingenuous rear end clown. Having an elected "devil's advocate" role could be a way to make sure everybody's voice is heard, even when their party lost. In practice it's a dumpster fire, but that's humanity for you.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aleph Null posted:

I meant the first paragraph

No poo poo.

That’s the joke.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

No poo poo.

That’s the joke.

It was an exceptionally inept joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Interestingly enough, unlike in the US (and maybe the UK and Australia?), the Israeli Knesset has committees which are traditionally chaired and controlled by members of the opposition. A notable example is the Committee for State Oversight. No shadow ministers, though.