Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Last I saw any numbers on it here, cyclists were the number one reason for pedestrians needing medical attention.

If your roads are lovely and dangerous for cyclists then you’re essentially forcing them onto pavements and then the number of incidents with pedestrians goes up.

I suppose it depends on how you fudge the numbers on accidents though as to whether bikes are more dangerous than cars to peds. UK department for transport has numbers saying you’re 60 times more likely to get seriously injured or killed by cars. Dunno what US numbers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So the choice is maim and kill cyclists by car, or maim and kill pedestrians by cyclist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

In early 1996, I was a very small guy. 5'1" and maybe 125lbs. I'd also recently changed schools and didn't have many friends. So I was a target and dude nearly twice my size beat the unholy gently caress out of me. Like, beat me so bad I got knocked out. And after all the hoopla he got a single day of suspension because basketball is more important than an child's safety.

So it was incredibly satisfying to run into him today. Bald, horrifically out of shape and married to a beast of a woman who if I had to guess was 300lbs minimum. When I said "oh this is my wife" you could see the sadness gather in his eyes. It was wonderful. I'm a bum but I won in that contest of life.

That had to feel really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

That had to feel really good.

As a FB friend you know I'm not blowing smoke on how pretty my wife is. His face was just full of all the poor decisions he'd made over the last two decades. Not that I'm the king of good choices or anything but I didn't get bear-trapped into something like that.

In other news, holy poo poo do Tacomas hold their goddamned value.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

So the choice is maim and kill cyclists by car, or maim and kill pedestrians by cyclist.

Road infrastructure for cyclists is utter toss. Peds hate bikes on pavements, cars hate bikes on roads, cyclists hate being on the pavement... there’s no pleasing everyone unless you sort out proper segregated cycle lanes. And that ain’t happening because £££££££

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Last I saw any numbers on it here, cyclists were the number one reason for pedestrians needing medical attention.

Quick googling shows 301 injuries between cyclists and peds in stockholm (or maybe Sweden) in 2016. (https://www.thelocal.se/20170424/injuries-on-the-rise-as-cyclists-and-pedestrians-clash-stockholm-sweden) Somehow, I bet cars injure a few more than that unless you have magical drivers even with high cycling numbers. Every time a cyclist hits a ped who dies, it become big news because it happens 1-2 times per year. Cars killing peds happens at least weekly in most major cities. Cars hitting peds happens so often as to just never be reported.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 9, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
And I have a feeling the incidents involving cars result in more serious injuries. Instead of "scraped wrist from handlebars," it become "dead."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Road infrastructure for cyclists is utter toss. Peds hate bikes on pavements, cars hate bikes on roads, cyclists hate being on the pavement... there’s no pleasing everyone unless you sort out proper segregated cycle lanes. And that ain’t happening because £££££££

Sadly true. Everyone benefits from infrastructure but no one wants to pay.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Quick googling shows that cars don't typically drive on the sidewalk.

Another quick googling shows that people riding bikes typically aren't idiots who have never piloted their vehicle before who are staring at their phone trying to make their pedaling app work.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Quick googling shows 301 injuries between cyclists and peds in stockholm (or maybe Sweden) in 2016. (https://www.thelocal.se/20170424/injuries-on-the-rise-as-cyclists-and-pedestrians-clash-stockholm-sweden) Somehow, I bet cars injure a few more than that unless you have magical drivers even with high cycling numbers. Every time a cyclist hits a ped who dies, it become big news because it happens 1-2 times per year. Cars killing peds happens at least weekly in most major cities. Cars hitting peds happens so often as to just never be reported.

Yeah, having looked around quite a while for the study I saw, it seems that my brain fudged the wording. It basically said "cyclist vs pedestrian accidents are on the rise, and if this keeps up, by the end of the year cyclists will have caused more injuries to pedestrians than cars".

Somewhat related, these are the latest numbers for dead pedestrians ("fotgängare") in Stockholm.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I've got this set up and...feel the need to hit up the Bookmans.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

In early 1996, I was a very small guy. 5'1" and maybe 125lbs. I'd also recently changed schools and didn't have many friends. So I was a target and dude nearly twice my size beat the unholy gently caress out of me. Like, beat me so bad I got knocked out. And after all the hoopla he got a single day of suspension because basketball is more important than an child's safety.

So it was incredibly satisfying to run into him today. Bald, horrifically out of shape and married to a beast of a woman who if I had to guess was 300lbs minimum. When I said "oh this is my wife" you could see the sadness gather in his eyes. It was wonderful. I'm a bum but I won in that contest of life.
Nice. I was picked on for being a big bastard, so had the opportunity to learn other methods of conflict resolution, but that sounds pretty satisfying.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Rhyno, you sure he didn't just feel bad for your wife?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

I've got this set up and...feel the need to hit up the Bookmans.

Do it. Bookman's is loving awesome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

:staredog:

'Kin 'ell.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

nm posted:

Yikes

(she seems lovely)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Always a comedian in the bunch!

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I thought that story was gonna end Fargo style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't own a wood chipper.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do it. Bookman's is loving awesome.

Oh boy was it crowded today! And some of their prices are pants-on-head dumb. However! I did pick up a few required items.

Like, required. They wouldn't let me leave without doing so.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

loving kill shot right there

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

Oh boy was it crowded today! And some of their prices are pants-on-head dumb. However! I did pick up a few required items.

They straight up give the kid $10 every year on her birthday, and now 10% off all year long as well. Given how much she likes to read, it's a good thing their kids section is well stocked. So I can deal with the occasional wacky price.

I also need to remember to bring them my R9 280. Don't think I want to dick around with eBay or Craigslist with it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Latest batshit crazy story.

GF refuses to run the heat until it's below ~55 inside. I'm okay with this, our electricity is expensive as hell at this place. The actual kWh usage isn't that bad, but there's a nearly $30 base charge with the co-op we're in, just to stay connected, plus city franchise fees that vary per kWh, and the kWh rate varies depending on the season and whether or not the CEO of the co-op needs to make a payment on his stable of Veyrons.

So my mother bought us a really nice down comforter for Christmas, for in-store pickup at Macy's. I picked it up.

Got home. "WTF is that?"

Me: "My mom bought this for us. It's a lot warmer than what we have! :)"

Her: "We're NOT using that. It's too heavy. I HATE DOWN COMFORTERS, THEY'RE TOO HOT!!!!111!11!!"

me: *looks at down comforter we've been using since I moved here* you mean like ... THAT down comforter that's on the bed now? :fuckoff: The one that leaves me freezing, because it's a really light summer version of what she just dropped $200 on for us?"

Ungrateful. As. gently caress.

I put in 65 hours last week, 70 scheduled this week (so far, I'll very likely add on), in hopes of saving up enough to GTFO. Working at least 13 hours tomorrow across 3 contracts (so far). If I keep working like this for much of next year, I'm gonna find myself into 6 figure territory, but holy poo poo taxes are gonna kick my rear end at that point. I'm following a friend's work ethic - he can't stand his wife, so he works 80+ hours a week (and pulls in well over $100k just in the gig economy - none of it involving Uber or Lyft).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 10, 2018

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Why don't you each use your own? That's what me and my GF do - no more tug-of-war, and everyone can have one that suits their preferences, it's a win-win scenario!

e: but yes that's a really lovely attitude

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 10, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's not about the comforter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB_1kAFK9oU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

Like, required. They wouldn't let me leave without doing so.

I assume you already have Discovery aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this which is the best one-hit wonder ever made due to the group (Bangalter and Braxe) only releasing the one song?

*edit: related, I finally got around to readjusting the speaker setup in the workshop. :black101: :black101: :black101:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 10, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

Latest batshit crazy story.

Tbh dude, everyone is different when it comes to that, I like a heavy cover but my wife hates it because she runs hotter than i do. One time she brought home a paper thin quilt and I was like no way that's gonna work for me, and of course she got mad for a minute but whatever, I like to be warm when I sleep. So I use my nice heavy quilt and she uses the loving sheet :v:

But I think spog is right, it's not just about that you two have issues.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But I think spog is right, it's not just about that you two have issues.

I think he knows that considering he's saying he's trying to GTFO in the post. :v:

Kid is teething I think, so gently caress sleep I guess.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Suburban Dad posted:

I think he knows that considering he's saying he's trying to GTFO in the post. :v:

Kid is teething I think, so gently caress sleep I guess.

You'll get there. I'd promise, but I haven't made it there yet.

I swear I was awake for more, but my fitbit says I got 4 hours sleep throughout the night. I was awake for a solid 3 hours from midnight at the very least jumping from one kid to the next - mostly the littlest as she woke up and wouldn't settle back down. Overall, they're amazing kids, but goddamn I want some sleep.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I assume you already have Discovery aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this which is the best one-hit wonder ever made due to the group (Bangalter and Braxe) only releasing the one song?

*edit: related, I finally got around to readjusting the speaker setup in the workshop. :black101: :black101: :black101:

Good stereo separation :v:
(I'm kidding, obviously)

They didn't have The Best Album (Discovery), but a trip to discogs solved that right quick. I'm also on the hunt for a few specific albums that I'm probably going to have to buy online, but it gives me good motivation to get outside.

Since I'm still in an apartment, I have to keep the big speakers packed away. However these PSB bookshelfs aren't bad, though I prefer my Koss Pro/4AA headphones.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Beverly Cleavage posted:

You'll get there. I'd promise, but I haven't made it there yet.

I swear I was awake for more, but my fitbit says I got 4 hours sleep throughout the night. I was awake for a solid 3 hours from midnight at the very least jumping from one kid to the next - mostly the littlest as she woke up and wouldn't settle back down. Overall, they're amazing kids, but goddamn I want some sleep.

drat, I take back my complaint. Probably got around 5-6 hours average the last two nights. Wife was out of town for the weekend so solo dad duty wore me down more than usual.

People say kids grow up so fast but I wish it was a bit faster at this point. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

Good stereo separation :v:
(I'm kidding, obviously)

They didn't have The Best Album (Discovery), but a trip to discogs solved that right quick. I'm also on the hunt for a few specific albums that I'm probably going to have to buy online, but it gives me good motivation to get outside.

Since I'm still in an apartment, I have to keep the big speakers packed away. However these PSB bookshelfs aren't bad, though I prefer my Koss Pro/4AA headphones.

The workshop currently has 3 cars in it, ideally I'd slot them in corners but it's not an option right now so it's doing it's best impression of a reggae soundsystem :v:

And Discogs is wonderful, I've picked up a few weird and wonderful things from there that I really didn't need (including that Stardust vinyl). It's entirely too easy to spend money there and I've been trying not to buy up vinyl because I want less stuff, not more (though clearly failing with the speaker setup).

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think we should have a shop/garage/shed stereo thread, because this might be enough SPL to work.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DJ Commie posted:

I think we should have a shop/garage/shed stereo thread, because this might be enough SPL to work.

If we do, I should get my buddy to repost his: http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?164271-Lotus-Elise-Shop-Stereo-build

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

No kidding, I thought I was crazy with my measly 200 watts. It's loud enough that I can't turn it all the way up if I'm in the shop though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

No kidding, I thought I was crazy with my measly 200 watts. It's loud enough that I can't turn it all the way up if I'm in the shop though.

The rack that powers the setup is only 1000w total, it's just that the speaker designs are super efficient so don't need much pushing. The db meter on the kit only goes to 120db and it pegs that with relative ease, it's rarely above 100db though generally.

I should add that this wasn't built for the workshop, I used to host DJ gigs with a few friends in town. I used to go to clubs a lot but was never really impressed with the sound so wondered if I could make a system that sounded better, I eventually found out about Bill Fitzmaurice's design and decided to put together a setup. Once tweaked it basically sounds like a super loud hi-fi setup, really clear from top to bottom so the experiment was a success. So much so that I often find myself in there to work on the cars but end up distracted just listening to music.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 10, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

People say kids grow up so fast but I wish it was a bit faster at this point. :v:

I know it can be hard and frustrating but don't be like me, just wanting to "get it over with" late nights and early mornings. I would give anything to redo it so far, my whole life actually. Now I have an almost 9 year old and a 4 year old and I am trying to be there and experience and remember every moment.

Basically what I am saying is don't be like me and now divorced so I only have 50-75% of the time, I had a rough night up just regretting the times I skipped going to grandmas to work or to stay home and get some alone time. What a fool.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Oh man we're amp posting now?

By the time I get off work you guys will be on a different topic but I have a print mint setup Marantz and all.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Marantz quad with the scopes is my dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Queen Combat posted:

Marantz quad with the scopes is my dream.

I just have a 2235b I'm not that rich (above the poverty line now tho!).

I use that and a pair of Kef c30s. So warm and fuzzy :3