Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The only thing the Tamron G1 has going for it is price right now. When it came out it was untouchable in it's class but the other offerings have surpassed it in quality. Not sure what to recommend among the other offerings. I'm leaning towards getting a Tamron G2 (I'm on Canon). My father-in-law has the Tamron g2 for Sony and he's pretty happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I'm another Sigma 150-600 C owner and I've been really happy with it on the few occasions I've had to take it out. My only gripe is that it's made me acutely aware of just how bad the 6D's autofocus system is (portraits and landscapes don't really run away from you).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lights posted:

My only gripe is that it's made me acutely aware of just how bad the 6D's autofocus system is

Lol. Same, but wrt my 7D's poor low light performance. :negative:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Prismatic Robin by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Merry almost Christmas

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 14, 2018

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

Merry almost Christmas

That's gorgeous!

The Anna's hummingbird that likes to hangout near our feeder just finished his molt.

DSCF6455 by accipter, on Flickr

DSCF6401 by accipter, on Flickr

DSCF6436 by accipter, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Merry almost Christmas

Yeah this is beautiful. So cheery!

accipter posted:

DSCF6455 by accipter, on Flickr

DSCF6401 by accipter, on Flickr

DSCF6436 by accipter, on Flickr

These are all fantastic but the last one kills me. Love that you can really see the shape of the beepin' feathers in the tail.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Dang. What a chance shot. Very nice!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Wild hummingbirds outside on plants we only have indoors, I really have to go on holiday somewhere truly tropical.

Gorgeous stuff.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

Wild hummingbirds outside on plants we only have indoors, I really have to go on holiday somewhere truly tropical.

Gorgeous stuff.
Well, that is an Anna's Hummingbird, which you can find as far north as British Columbia year round. ;)

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I believe this little featherball is an Eastern Screech Owl. Very cold, very fluffy.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alpenglow posted:

I believe this little featherball is an Eastern Screech Owl. Very cold, very fluffy.

Good find!

Just picked up the Tamron G2 today. Nice to have a big boy again. Now I've actually go to get outside and take some darn pics.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Nice! What do you think of it? I’ve only seen images of it, but it at least looks more refined than the first gen.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Nice! What do you think of it? I’ve only seen images of it, but it at least looks more refined than the first gen.

So far so good! Haven't really gotten to play with it much yet. It been a while since I held the G1 (and the one I had been used for a few years), but the G2 seems really solid and stable. Hopefully get to take it out tomorrow for a bit.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
A falcon finally showed up at the grain terminal! A juvenile Prairie Falcon was out this morning, I watched it make one hunting attempt then it flew off, about 5 minutes later, a Bald Eagle showed up which caused the falcon to return and just fly around for a minute or two and then took off.

Prairie Falcon by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

I found 2 snowy owls this weekend, but wasnt able to get good photos, yesterday I found one on a fence post but it wasnt along the road, and less than 2 minutes later a whiteout snowstorm hit where I was. Today I found one in the middle of a field, but it was pretty far away and there was a bunch of atmospheric distortion.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

So far so good! Haven't really gotten to play with it much yet. It been a while since I held the G1 (and the one I had been used for a few years), but the G2 seems really solid and stable. Hopefully get to take it out tomorrow for a bit.

I think I may have a bum copy. :(

I took it out in bright sunlight today and I wasn't super happy with the sharpness. There are some other variables (hadn't really shot much with my 7D2 since I got it back from Canon, they'd reset the camera so my custom settings weren't there anymore, and I'd been shooting with much lighter lenses for about the past year). Even with all that, I feel like I should have gotten better shots than I did. Hopefully I can do more tests soon and return if need be.

The lens seemed alright in the field, but I did notice that hanging upside down from a black rapid, on my right side, that I kept inadvertently changing the switches (mostly AF -> MF and turning off the VC).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That would stink if you’ve got a bum copy. Hopefully you can easily exchange if it comes down to it.

I have the same issue with hitting the switches on my Sigma when I carry it around on my BR strap. I end up rotating the tripod collar 90 degrees or so. Makes it handle just a little bit funny, but it’s workable. Much happier when I’ve got that thing on my gimbal head instead!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I took it out in bright sunlight today and I wasn't super happy with the sharpness. There are some other variables (hadn't really shot much with my 7D2 since I got it back from Canon, they'd reset the camera so my custom settings weren't there anymore, and I'd been shooting with much lighter lenses for about the past year). Even with all that, I feel like I should have gotten better shots than I did. Hopefully I can do more tests soon and return if need be.

The lens seemed alright in the field, but I did notice that hanging upside down from a black rapid, on my right side, that I kept inadvertently changing the switches (mostly AF -> MF and turning off the VC).

Post some images so we can take a look at the sharpness? I don't know whether my Tamron 150-600 is as trash as everybody thinks it is - I only ever shoot it at f/8 600mm and I think it seems fine but who knows. I want to post some tripod stabilized shots soon and see what people with better eyes than myself think.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

That would stink if you’ve got a bum copy. Hopefully you can easily exchange if it comes down to it.

I have the same issue with hitting the switches on my Sigma when I carry it around on my BR strap. I end up rotating the tripod collar 90 degrees or so. Makes it handle just a little bit funny, but it’s workable. Much happier when I’ve got that thing on my gimbal head instead!

Genius. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

I bought it from a a local shop so hopefully it will be easy enough to return.

VelociBacon posted:

Post some images so we can take a look at the sharpness? I don't know whether my Tamron 150-600 is as trash as everybody thinks it is - I only ever shoot it at f/8 600mm and I think it seems fine but who knows. I want to post some tripod stabilized shots soon and see what people with better eyes than myself think.

Will do that soon.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Dang that sucks, I'm sorry. You might try grabbing a tamron dock from lensrentals or something and adjusting focus through that to verify everything is calibrated right.

This is a full size link, so I'll just leave it in text but it's a shot from the other day in some off light, 600mm f/8 1/800 iso 250 handheld with the G2 version: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4907/32163901228_bf7a8f2efb_o.jpg

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks fort that! I haven't had a chance to pull photos yet, but I don't think I had anything that sharp at 600mm. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have time to do further tests until Wednesday.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I did a little more test shooting today, and I'm a little puzzled.

e: exchanged the lens for a new copy, and I'm happier with the new one. It's still not as sharp as the 400 obviously, but at least I'm able to get something I feel OK cropping in a little. Shots from the new lens

Tamron g2 new in store-0994 on Flickr

Tamron g2 new in store-1000 on Flickr

Tamron g2 new backyard-1014 on Flickr

Tamron g2 new-1006 on Flickr

--------------
e: below are from the old lens

Shooting a street sign in decent light, no tripod. These are all cropped to the same content, so the 7D2 at 600 got the least amount of cropping.
with 7D2
Tamron on 7d2-0957 on Flickr
With 6D
Tamron on 6D-0571 on Flickr
Comparison: 7D2 and 400/5.6
Canon 400 on 7D2-0967 on Flickr

The 400mm is obviously noticeably better even without IS, but some of that is to be expected. These came out a bit closer in quality than I'd expect from my experience over the weekend, when almost everything looked trash. The obvious answer is my technique is trash, but since I was purposefully shooting with lens assessment in mind, I feel like I was pretty careful. Is it possible for zoom lenses, at the same focal length, to have focus problems for distant objects and less problem with close objects?
The following are pretty representative of what I got.

Tamron g2 vulture-0762 on Flickr

Tamron g2 vulture-0738-2 on Flickr

Tamron g2 coyote-0883 on Flickr

Note for all of these I used the Lightroom lens correction but nothing else.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 29, 2018

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Finally going through my pictures from my week-long vacation in San Diego a few weeks ago. During that time I went to both the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park. I won't spam the thread with too many zoo pictures but as I'm going through the collection, I gotta post a few.

Here's a bee eater.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 30, 2018

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

neckbeard posted:

Between 3 and 4pm

This illustrates so well my frustration with bird photography here in Norway for half the year. At 3 pm it is pitch black during the winter season. In fact a month in either direction from 22 december we don't really have proper daylight at any point during the day.
We are literally talking F8, 1/1000 shutter speed and ISO to the point of uselessness on a pro camera, at the brightest time of day.
Oh and it is cloudy like 80% of the time as well, further removing even more light. Not the oh nice its natures softbox type of clouds, but these thick fucks that block out the sun.

For the most part we don't really realise how far north on the planet we actually live, since it is quite mild here due to the gulf stream, but where i live is further north than any settlement in Alaska to put things into perspective.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Being in the best birding country on earth with only a cheap 200mm lens is extremely painful, but sometimes they have pity on me.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Holyshit that owns.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Being in the best birding country on earth with only a cheap 200mm lens is extremely painful, but sometimes they have pity on me.

Awesome, I didn't know we had a Colombian here! Erm, I'm assuming that's what you mean, though I suppose I've heard folks refer to Ecuador and Brazil as birding paradises as well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Kenshin posted:

Awesome, I didn't know we had a Colombian here! Erm, I'm assuming that's what you mean, though I suppose I've heard folks refer to Ecuador and Brazil as birding paradises as well.

Yep! Not a native though, just working / traveling here. Amazing birds are everywhere, even in the city. There's a family of parrots that live on the roof of my apartment and peek over the side to yell at me sometimes :3: There's also a bunch of macaws in one of the churches here, apparently the zoo released some back in the 80s and they just adapted really well to city life.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 3, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yep! Not a native though, just working / traveling here. Amazing birds are everywhere, even in the city. There's a family of parrots that live on the roof of my apartment and peek over the side to yell at me sometimes :3: There's also a bunch of macaws in one of the churches here, apparently the zoo released some back in the 80s and they just adapted really well to city life.

Where in Columbia? We were thinking of going to around Cartagena next year, probably won't spend any time in Bogota.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

Where in Columbia? We were thinking of going to around Cartagena next year, probably won't spend any time in Bogota.

Based out of Medellin primarily, but I just got back from Cartagena a few days ago, and I've taken buses all over the place. If you're just going for vacation, you aren't missing much by skipping Bogota. And if you're in Cartagena, make sure you take a day or two to head out toward Santa Marta to see Tayrona National Park! It can be an expensive city if you're just winging it, but there's a ton of stuff to do there and there's a lot of history, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you want any info on it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Based out of Medellin primarily, but I just got back from Cartagena a few days ago, and I've taken buses all over the place. If you're just going for vacation, you aren't missing much by skipping Bogota. And if you're in Cartagena, make sure you take a day or two to head out toward Santa Marta to see Tayrona National Park! It can be an expensive city if you're just winging it, but there's a ton of stuff to do there and there's a lot of history, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you want any info on it.

Thanks. Once we have a rough idea of our plans, I'll let you know. That king vulture is great btw, I've only ever seen them distantly soaring!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Well I was going to post my Egret eating a Lizard from the Canary Islands but a bloody King Vulture!!!!

Oh well have the Egret anyway, revel in its relative mediocrity.

Cattle Egret with lizard lunch by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 10, 2018

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

From yesterday

Red Breasted Nuthatch by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

No falcons were out in the morning, a bit odd as it was -10 so I was expecting a bit more activity. Arrived about 5 min too late to watch the eagle hunt, but got some shots of it having lunch. I've photographed this eagle last winter as well, it has a distinct black dot in it's left iris

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Rough Legged Hawk didn't do any hunting, just got harassed by some magpies
Rough Legged Hawk by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Blue Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

And was finally able to get a somewhat decent-ish pic of a Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Nice, even without the making GBS threads.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
B&H Photo just sent out a winter mailer with lens deals. It looks like the codes are unique but if anyone wants to get the Nikon mount version of the Sigma 150-600mm DG OS HSM Lens for $739 let me know and I'll PM you the coupon code.

Those of you who already get the B&H mailer probably don't need this.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I think my neighbor has a poor opinion of me.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

kaka by Marc, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Raikyn posted:

kaka by Marc, on Flickr

That's a gorgeous shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018