Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
ROAB's basically dead, Freegardeners exist almost only because Masonry literally had to go and revive it and give them some juice, IOOF's abandoned most of my country, the Druid benevolent orders are nearly extinct. We've all lost ground to the rise of the welfare state. In a sense, we were too successful - we wanted everyone to have a square deal in life and not be abandoned when times got rough, we worked for it, and society took it up, so one of our core reasons for existence died away. We kept trucking though because unlike most of the benevolent societies that were basically just welfare programs, we had our social and ritual aspects, and ever since we've been coasting on people chasing camraderie- but people don't look to fraternal societies for that anymore. We're quaint and old fashioned.

It's why the Strict Observance movement exists, to try and refocus on what makes Masonry Masonry through ritual and reemphasize that.

I also recall a conversation I had with a venerable Templar brother from grand priory. His opinion, having observed Masonry as a member for some sixty years, is that perhaps 90% of people join (or more importantly, stay) for the social experience, 5% join for enlightenment (of whom maybe a tenth actually pursue it seriously and contribute to esoteric masonry), and 5% join for business ties and walk away when they get disappointed. The essential problem we face is that what we deliver socially is not perceived as desirable, and so naturally our proportion of social joiners is shrinking - in and of itself, not a bad thing, but those social members (or 'good ol' Norms' as I recall one article on the issue from the 90s calling them) have been the lifeblood sustaining the craft for decades and they're all dying. Couple that with a generalized tendency away from being 'joiners' as a society (also not inherently bad), charitable endeavours largely running through the Lions club and similar groups that don't have our baggage, and the growing trend of atheism and you get a natural progression away from membership rates increasing.

My belief is that it'll stall out and Masonry will begin to reach a sustainable plateau over the next fifteen years. As we become less saturated and people lose their memories of us being literally everywhere, we'll regain some mystique that'll help draw people in - and the occult renaissance that the internet has enabled will also bring new members, changing the ratio of social:esoteric masons significantly. The increasing economic and social collapse we're going to inevitably face will also prompt new growth later in the century. It is the paradox of our craft: When times are bad, we will be stronger, because that is when people need to lean on each other most and we erect ourselves as strong pillars to support those who need a helping hand - but when times are good, and have always been good within memory, we will be weak, because we aren't needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Loomer posted:

because we aren't needed.

That's very sad. I've been watching Netflix's "Inside the Masons" show and it's caused me to think that we need much more of a sense of brotherhood in our culture. American culture, I mean.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sub Rosa posted:

I used to be in IOOF. Maybe I still am if I cough up ~15 years of dues. My impression is basically they are far worse off than Masonry. I was actually told there was an Oddfellows lodge active in Greensboro, but no one could ever actually tell me where or when they met. Considering the Soverign Grand Lodge for North America is in Winston-Salem I figure that's a really bad sign.

I've driven by the IOOF lodge in Greensboro (it's by the baseball stadium, if I recall) and have driven by the Grand Lodge in Winston, and I've sent dozens of emails out but could never get a single response on joining the IOOF. Oh well!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
There used to be an IOOF lodge in my city, but it seems to have gone under for unknown reasons. No real info in the papers or historical records I could find, but their cornerstone is still there. Developer is interested in converting it to some kinda small town skyscraper.

The nearest one I believe is still active is one state over.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So I was recently made FC and the more I learn the more I feel like I made the right choice in seeking to join. Fascinating, to say the least. And thanks to everyone who has posted here, reading the backlog of this thread has been really informative.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Getting installed as WM for the second year in a row tonight. I'm going to joke that I promise to do a better job than the junior past.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Are Transmen Men as far as the requirements for becoming a Mason are concerned?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

OscarDiggs posted:

Are Transmen Men as far as the requirements for becoming a Mason are concerned?

Depends on jurisdiction. UGLE put out a statement earlier this year saying that yes, they are, but it hasn't really been fought out to my knowledge because no one wants to tussle with UGLE

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Elected WM for the first time. Installation in a couple weeks and a 3rd degree next week. I swear Masons in this jurisdiction just loving hate themselves come holiday season

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I am travelling to Portland, OR in January. Any MM from that area here, I would like to attend lodge as it is a business trip so plenty of time to visit.
Basically, do I need to pack my stuff and tux? As a developer I have no formal clothing but my tux...

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Being installed as WM tonight. We are financially probably the most secure lodge in our state but members wise we have shrank enough that it's been a struggle to pull in enough people to pull off degrees or this installation. I'm hoping to make meetings more interesting/educational this year. It's been a huge struggle for us and even myself find it hard to recommend the craft to new people when what they'll do is waste hours of their time for nothing in a boring meeting.

Any recommendations for masonic educational material?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Paramemetic posted:

the recent advertising approach and the semi-active recruiting thing

That's really weird, I thought y'all's whole schtick was was "you have to ask."

Since they were mentioned, what's up with the Odddfellows and Elks? Guys that couldn't get into the Masons went and started their own club with blackjack and hookers?

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Found these in the town of Älmhult, Sweden.
Are they legit Mason groups?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
"Svenska Frimurare Orden" (The Swedish Masonic Order) is a legit masonic grand lodge recognized by the United Grand Lodge of England. "Sirius Orden" appears to be a Swedish fraternal order with no connections to freemasonry. It's normal in small-town Scandinavia for several fraternal orders to share the same building, since they need more or less the same kind of facilities (a big hall and a bar).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

SimonChris posted:

"Svenska Frimurare Orden" (The Swedish Masonic Order) is a legit masonic grand lodge recognized by the United Grand Lodge of England. "Sirius Orden" appears to be a Swedish fraternal order with no connections to freemasonry. It's normal in small-town Scandinavia for several fraternal orders to share the same building, since they need more or less the same kind of facilities (a big hall and a bar).

Our building is way to large for us, dwindling numbers and so on, and we rent to whoever wants to, we seen the birth of several groups who call themselves Masons and are not recognized but we enjoy their rent money keeping our beautiful temple up and running.

https://goo.gl/maps/zR8pUeenmyN2

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Checking in on a sleeping thread to say I'm finally scheduled to have my MM degree next Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to it. I've not been in for a full year yet and already I have seen such positivity and generosity from the men at my lodge that I'm very eager to become more involved myself.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Checking in on a sleeping thread to say I'm finally scheduled to have my MM degree next Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to it. I've not been in for a full year yet and already I have seen such positivity and generosity from the men at my lodge that I'm very eager to become more involved myself.

Congrats! Whereabouts are you located? (General country/region/whatever is fine, not trying to doxx anyone)

Like I'm sure people told you before your EA degree, just relax and take it all in. There's a lot going on there.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Any of you other guys doing the Hauts Grade Academy for AASR NMJ?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Huh, that (NMJ talk) reminds me, I'll be moving to the Philadelphia area in about a month (technically Downingtown, about an hour west). Anyone have recommendations for lodges, or any goons in the area?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Congrats! Whereabouts are you located? (General country/region/whatever is fine, not trying to doxx anyone)

Like I'm sure people told you before your EA degree, just relax and take it all in. There's a lot going on there.

I'm based out of Michigan. More specifically, the fringes of Detroit.

My EA went great but of course I had all these preconceived notions about what I thought would happen, plus I was very nervous. Once I saw and understood, my FC was much better. I'm looking forward to the MM. It's a welcoming feeling, knowing that this group of people is practicing and rehearsing to get things right for my own experience.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

to get things right

Whoa, let's not be too hasty here.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative

Emron posted:

Any of you other guys doing the Hauts Grade Academy for AASR NMJ?

I am. Have one more paper for level 2 to go, working on figuring out my topic for level 3.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

lone77wulf posted:

I am. Have one more paper for level 2 to go, working on figuring out my topic for level 3.

I just started in on level 2. The whole thing is a great idea, but needs some more polish on implementation, in my opinion.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative

Emron posted:

I just started in on level 2. The whole thing is a great idea, but needs some more polish on implementation, in my opinion.

Level two seems to vary depending on your advisor. I’ve had some good conversations over mail, which aren’t part of the program, but are educational. Part 1 seemed like a formality, and didn’t dig at all.

I did SJ Master Craftsman 1 before they moved a bunch around and still am in the process of the Symbolic Lodge and second Scottish Rite part. Those are good for learning what’s in Morals and Dogma and Esoterika, but don’t make me dig into the meaning in the same way as HGA will in part 3.

Then to be inane, I have the Companion Adept of the Temple on my shelf as the next thing after all those. If you can, might as well take all of them. Only the HGA has time limits.

MyLord
Jan 21, 2019

Paramemetic posted:

Freemasonry is the world's oldest esoteric fraternity, varyingly referred to as a secret society, fraternal order, conspiratical organization, etc. While commonly called a secret society, Masons tend to prefer calling ourselves a "society with secrets." Details of our rites and rituals are kept secret for a variety of reasons which I will discuss, none of which are nefarious but rather traditional. Our membership is not commonly secretive, except in countries and times when it is necessary to be so (whereas Masons in America commonly wear rings or rock emblems on their cars, Masons in China must by necessity be much less overt). Our history is long, with realistic estimates looking at Freemasonry developing from actual guilds and lodges of masons working in the middle ages in the present day UK. Popular (likely mythical) origins tell of integration of the Knights Templar, and it is certainly evident that masonry existed in a primitive form as early as the building of many great cathedrals in the UK, as many have symbols that modern day Masons would recognize instantly. We are a storied and long-lived fraternity, dedicated to promoting the most noble ideals of Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth, and we are open to men of all races and creeds should they meet some few (occasionally contested) mandatory requirements.

Requirements to become a Freemason
The requirements to become a Mason vary in wording and phrasing, and sometimes in interpretation (Florida :argh: ) from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but they boil down to this:

If a man wishes to become a Freemason, he must:
1. Be a man, and of lawful age (varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, usually 21, sometimes 18, or anywhere in between).
2. Be born free (i.e., not a slave).
3. Possess a good moral character and be able to be vouched for.
4. Profess a belief in God.

These requirements are immutable, regarded as "ancient landmarks" which no mason nor assembly of masons is able to change. They are largely historical, with only the fourth usually providing a question and historically it is left to the candidate to decide if he meets such a requirement. This is probably the most contentious of the requirements, so I will address it straightaway.

A belief in God is historically required because the degrees are each accompanied by a sworn oath taken on a "volume of the sacred law." In "time immemorial," it was believed that an atheist could not possibly take such an oath and have it be binding upon him. Masonry was heavily involved in the development of the Enlightenment and Enlightenment Era thinking, but predates it, and as such predates the development of atheistic or agnostic moral philosophy. In 14th century England, there wasn't really any other ethical game in town, and so it was never a question.

It is often a question today. Certainly most people accept that a person can be noble, honorable, ethical, moral, just, and honest without professing belief in God. Further, as the world became larger, so to speak, interpretations have been made to allow other faiths that are able to answer that question to their own satisfaction. Historically, Masonry does not exclude any man of any religion based on what interpretation of "God" they choose - Muslims, Christians, Jews, Sikhs, Sufis, Deists, and Jainists all sit together in perfect harmony, each interpreting the reference to a Great Architect of the Universe (GAOTU) in their own way. Even Buddhists, who do not profess such a belief as a central creed, are generally accepted in Masonry if they are capable of answering the question to their own satisfaction, and Hindu believers, who believe in many gods but one Brahma, are also welcome. It is even possible to be admitted without any specific religion, but rather a simple spiritual sense and conception of a "philosopher's god" or prime mover.

But atheists, agnostics, and non-theists cannot become Masons as such. While there are orders claiming to be masonic that will admit such (the Grand Lodge of France, for example, or Co-Masonry, for another), these lodges are not considered "regular" (more on that later) and so aren't really within the scope of this thread. Despite many of us feeling sadly that non-believers cannot be admitted, it is sadly out of our hands. Many good men have come into this thread's previous incarnation and expressed regret or frustration that they cannot join our esteemed order, but it cannot be changed. It is an ancient landmark, and no man nor Mason has the authority to change these landmarks.

Such is also the case regarding women. Many of us would not object to women joining on a personal level - were it any other order or organization, or were there provisions for changing this requirement, it would be done. But there is no such provision, and no such possibility. There are appendant bodies that accept women who are related to Masons, and this is a possibility for women who wish for the same kind of organization, but these are not Masonry proper. As appendant bodies though I will discuss them later.

The Organization of the Craft

At its fundamental level, Masonry is Craft Masonry, or the Blue Lodge. The Blue Lodge is the basic structure of Masonry, comprised of 3 degrees (3.5/4 in lodges under the Grand Lodge of Scotland), of which the third degree, Master Mason, is the highest. There is no higher degree than Master Mason. It is common for people from outside the Craft, especially conspiracy theorists, to point to various degrees as "higher" due to their numeric assignation, specifically in the Scottish Rite which goes regularly up to 32nd degree and, by nomination, to 33rd, but those degrees are part of the Scottish Rite, an optional and appendant body in Masonry. In the Craft Masonry, I as a Master Mason sitting next to a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason am exactly equal, for he is also a Master Mason (there is an exception for experience, as such a Scottish Rite mason is most likely a past master, which holds special esteem, if not a higher degree).

The three degrees in the Craft Lodge are the Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, and aforementioned Master Mason. The time spent in each degree, and the associated privileges, vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Generally speaking, in the United States, a candidate takes between one and three months to advance, and cannot wear Masonic jewelry, appear in public as a Mason, or vote in Lodge until he has reached Master Mason (though there are other things he can do).

Each degree imparts a story and some information about their historical roles in the past organizations of actual operative masonic lodges. The structure of freemasonry is to impart moral lessons via allegory and ritual initiation. The actual content of the degrees basically teaches a dude about various virtues in a ritual manner (this is another reason that even if atheists could join, they would be ill fit, as esoteric ritualism is often lost on hard materialists). Appendant bodies continue the story along different paths.

There are two appendant bodies seen as usual tracts for further Masonic education after being raised to the degree of Master Mason, and they are the York Rite and Scottish Rite. The Scottish Rite continues the numeric progression up to the 32nd degree. The York Rite is comprised of the Council, Chapter, and Commandery, the last of which is the spiritual if not historic successor of the famed Knights Templar. I am not a member of either of those bodies and details about them can be found elsewhere, and is kinda meaningless without completing Craft Masonry, but brothers who are members of those orders are welcome to write more about it if they want.

At the higher level, each group of masons is organized into a Lodge, each Lodge is charted under a Grand Lodge, and each Grand Lodge must be able to trace its original charter back to either the United Grand Lodge of England, the Grand Lodge of Scotland, or the Grand Lodge of Ireland. Each Grand Lodge has total authority over its own jurisdiction, and no authority over another jurisdiction, though there is a interconnected political web of recognition such that within regular Masonry, a mason can travel nearly anywhere in the world and find a Lodge to attend. Since becoming a Master Mason in November of 2011, I have attended Lodge in three different states (Ohio, Kentucky, and Maryland) and two foreign countries (Ireland and Scotland).

The Grand Lodges each have absolute jurisdiction over their own region, with some regions in the United States having two separate Grand Lodges due to our country's racist history. This is important to note because there are an uncountable number of conspiracy theories about us running the world as a unified bloc, which are entirely untrue as the Grand Lodges operate more or less independently, with no central authority over them whatsoever.

Grand Lodges are all formed in "regularity" based on their historical relationship to one of the first three Grand Lodges (UGLE, GL of Scotland, GL of Ireland) and their continued adherence to ancient landmarks. The UGLE is a joint Grand Lodge of the previous English split Antients and "Moderns," and the descent and lineage of charter is what differentiates "Ancient Free and Accepted Masons" (AF&AM, e.g., Maryland) from "Free and Accepted Masons" (F&AM, e.g., Ohio). There is very little difference except the historical lineage and some small quibbling details. However, there are lodges that are not "regular," called "clandestine lodges." These lodges operate outside of the regular channels. There are a glut of these in some of the Southern states, where they serve as what essentially amounts to a scam, taking money for initiation into "Masonry" without actually making a man a regular Mason. A clandestine Mason may not sit in a regular lodge, and a regular Mason will not sit in a clandestine lodge. Furthermore, it is forbidden for a regular Mason to discuss Masonic matters with a clandestinely made Mason, as their Masonic status is not recognized.

Questions and Answers

Those were a lot of words, but quickly sum up what the hell Masonry actually is please!

Masonry is a fraternal organization that imparts moral lessons through ritualistic initiation in the form of allegory and symbolism.

So, what the hell do you guys actually do?

Masons operate a variety of charities in various jurisdictions, as well as meeting regularly to conduct business, which is not really all that much to talk about. This thread's predecessor had its title changed to a joke about spaghetti dinner, which is fairly accurate.

This video more or less describes Masonry in a nutshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M96xGTehsnI

What the gently caress is this bitcoin business?

Bitcoiners posted a screencap of the title of the last thread in a thread to prove that SA is in on a global conspiracy to defeat bitcoin. In fact, the only masonic conspiracy involving bitcoin was that WAFFLEHOUND ran a legitimate business (the only known legit bitcoin business to date) and is a mason.

And what about those goats?

We don't talk about the goats, see?

What about that racism stuff? Are you racists? Can African Americans be Masons?

There is a schism historically but not practically. African Americans have their own Grand Lodges (sort of), called Prince Hall Lodges, which actually are not some kind of "separate but equal" thing but rather are Grand Lodges hailing from regular authority out of the special dispensations granted to members of African Lodge #459, Grand Lodge of England, itself formed based on the raising to Master Mason of an African-American named Prince Hall in 1775. The Prince Hall Grand Lodges and regular Grand Lodges existed in a kind of mutual ignorance for some hundreds of years, until relatively recently with the Civil Rights Movement, most regular lodges began recognizing their Prince Hall counterparts and vice versa. Some states have not done this, and it has caused a great deal of controversy in some places, but because each Grand Lodge operates on its own authority within its jurisdiction, it is a matter of waiting, as nothing can really be done.

As a woman and/or atheist I am really upset that I can't be a mason, what's the score there?

There are lodges, as I mentioned, that do not adhere to the ancient landmarks. Grand Orient de France is one, Co-Masonry is another large movement. For the purposes of this thread, the brothers who answer questions and who also use this thread as something of a place to talk shop with other goon brothers, are regular Masons and probably can't help you much here, but that would be a good place to start if you are really into rituals but can't join a regular lodge.

I keep hearing you guys talking about worshiping some guy called The Master. Will Manos be served?

Not that Master. The references to "Worshipful Master" and so on simply refers to the elected master of the Lodge. A good description of various lodge offices can be found here.

I read in a Chick Tract that Freemasonry is an ancient Baphomet worshiping cult, is that true?

Well, it's on the Internet, I assume they check their facts.

Masonry is a very old organization that is generally secretive, and the history of its being scapegoated or :tinfoil:'d about it is as long as its own existence. From early Catholic proclamations that we are secularists aiming to destroy Christendom (the Pope was upset that some Masons were involved in a variety of reformation movements and in the overall dismantling of the Holy Roman Empire) to Nazi allegations that we stood in opposition to Nazism (this was half-true, Masonic ideals are incompatible with Nazism, but discussion of politics is not permitted in Masonic) to the Anti-Masonic Party in the United States, we're a group that people love to pick on or fear. The official Masonic response is to not respond, which only fans the flames with certain groups, providing clear evidence of the conspiracy.

Well yea, what about those secrets, anyhow?

The main "secrets" in Masonry are the "modes of recognition." These are the "secret handshakes" that you hear about so often, some associated phrases, and some of the contents of the rituals. They serve the purpose of being able to identify if a man really is a mason when they are strangers to the lodge, as well as to identify if a man is a mason before discussing Masonry with them outside the lodge, or just for whatever reason (it's good to know you're talking to your brother). In the past, especially during Catholic persecution of masons and in cultures and times when Masonry was not as well received, these secret modes of recognition were absolutely essential to maintaining the safety of a mason both from exposition of the Craft and exposition of the identity of a Mason. It was essential, a matter of life or death, to keep these methods safe and secret. In the modern day, we preserve these, guarding them with the utmost secrecy, despite them being largely obsolete. This is largely a nod to historical tradition, a recognition of the perseverance and honor of men gone before us, rather than a means of securing our own safety, but it is the reason for the secrecy. There's truly nothing earth shattering, but if you really want to know them and are resourceful, it shouldn't be hard. The best way, of course, is to simply join our Order, and learn them in the way they have been taught since time immemorial.

Some Handy Links, Lists, and Other Stuff

There are a wide variety of Appendant Bodies and related organizations. In no particular order, an incomplete list would include:

Further Reading
There is talk of starting a wandering book club for interested individuals, brothers, and potential candidates. We'd love to get this going. In the interim, there are a few books the brothers in this thread and I would endorse. Probably the most recommended is Freemasons for Dummies, which is a good book written by Bro. Chris Hodapp, who also runs a relevant blog. I am also keen on recommending A Pilgrim's Path, a good book which covers some of the history of the order as well as a lot of good information on the various anti-Masonic movements through history.

There are also websites for each individual Grand Lodge, but it would be tedious to link them all. If you are unsure if you're looking at the regular grand lodge versus a clandestine lodge, just ask us in thread and we'll point you the right way.

Here's a handy link on why not to become a Freemason: http://braden168.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/why-you-shouldnt-become-a-freemason/

For Posterity: The Old Thread, Dating to Time Immemorial

How do I know if there is a fake Masonic Lodge or not

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Ask in here I guess? There are fake lodges out there but they fall under two categories. Confusingly, both are called "clandestine" in Mason-speak. Some people set up their own fake lodges to make money on our name. These are usually small and strange, and will have extremely ridiculous long names. This is fairly common in the Southern US. The other kind of lodge is one that has been deemed irregular for whatever reason. For example, France is full of lodges that are irregular and so "fake" to the main body of Masonry.

Basically if you want someone to check out a Lodge in here I'm sure someone would be happy to do. From within the organization it's a pretty straightforward affair that we can accomplish with a range of difficulty from "looking at the website" to "asking our secretary to send a letter." Not a big deal.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I can't speak for every grand lodge in every country, but you can probably just type "Grand Lodge of ________" for wherever you are and call the phone number that comes up and ask.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Hit another delay but finally got my MM last night.

My lodge is pretty chill, but that degree was for real. Glad to finally be a full member though.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Got my MM yesterday and that sure was a ritual, I should say. And now I have a lot to read.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

The other kind of lodge is one that has been deemed irregular for whatever reason. For example, France is full of lodges that are irregular and so "fake" to the main body of Masonry.

What are the reasons lodges become irregular? I was told that if I visited lodges in foreign countries I should make sure they are not irregular, but how do they become so? Can they reconcile somehow?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Ataxerxes posted:

What are the reasons lodges become irregular? I was told that if I visited lodges in foreign countries I should make sure they are not irregular, but how do they become so? Can they reconcile somehow?

A good example is lodges that start raising women.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Essentially if they were created without a real charter or if they violate the charter by falling out of regularity or if they get in a spat with another grand lodge that declares them irregular by edict.

So yeah, lodges that started changing rituals or started changing rules so that they fell out of accord or so on.

In the US most irregular lodges are fraudulent, for example. Just a guy setting up a copycat operation without a charter to grift. You see this a lot in the South. In Europe you have co-masonry which liberalizes a bit (for example the making women masons thing) which is always clandestine. Then you have the political spats between a revolving door of French lodges that fall in and out of regularity with UGLE. There are also lodges that will start adding extra rules that violate the spirit of masonry (by endorsing political views, for example, or specific religions).

Generally if you're traveling it's best to check with your own secretary before visiting a lodge. When in doubt and that's not possible you can ask to see the charter which should say what grand lodge is over that lodge. Grand lodges also need historic charters. In the US, for example, the difference between the F&AM and AF&AM grand lodges is about whether they got their charters from the Antient Grand Lodge of England or the Grand Lodge of Scotland. I don't think any got theirs from the Grand Lodge of Ireland.

As a total aside, Grand Lodge of Ireland's degree work is wild.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Some US jurisdictions deem Prince Hall to be irregular, as well. The irregularity thing is where you truly enter the world of Masonic controversy.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Emron posted:

Some US jurisdictions deem Prince Hall to be irregular, as well. The irregularity thing is where you truly enter the world of Masonic controversy.

Ah, the Prince Hall are the Africa-American lodges that were founded when many of the US lodges were white-only, if I understood correctly? I can see why that would be one heck of an issue today. Finland had a period of time (1920's-1950's) when the Grand Lodge of Sweden didn't recognize the Finnish lodges, but that is long past.

Is there an interest in knowing how the Finnish and Swedish lodges differ? I could post about that.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ataxerxes posted:

Ah, the Prince Hall are the Africa-American lodges that were founded when many of the US lodges were white-only, if I understood correctly? I can see why that would be one heck of an issue today. Finland had a period of time (1920's-1950's) when the Grand Lodge of Sweden didn't recognize the Finnish lodges, but that is long past.

Is there an interest in knowing how the Finnish and Swedish lodges differ? I could post about that.

The Prince Hall thing is specifically legitimate lodges chartered by the Antient Grand Lodge of England that share jurisdiction with regional grand lodges. The reason it's controversial is that grand lodges are supposed to be sovereign over territories, but Prince Hall lodges weren't chartered under the grand lodges of those areas and for a long time racism kept them separate. Now most states have mutual recognition with their Prince Hall counterparts but some southern states do not while the other states recognize both GLs. It gets a bit dicey.

I'd be interested to hear about whatever story there is to tell. My understanding is Sweden is explicitly Christian and not just monotheistic, is that true? Some other bits about the monarchy get involved there too, yeah?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

I'd be interested to hear about whatever story there is to tell. My understanding is Sweden is explicitly Christian and not just monotheistic, is that true? Some other bits about the monarchy get involved there too, yeah?

Yeah, Sweden has a 10-degree system that, to my understanding (and a Swedish brother is more than welcome to correct me if I'm mistaken) is explicitly Christian from the start. Their 10 degrees cover everything from Blue Lodge up to the highest levels of the attendant degrees. There is an agreement that a Finnish mason with certain degrees can attend Swedish lodge meeting up to the n:th degree, depending on stuff I'm not really familiar with. Also, in Sweden the monarch was, for a long time, traditionally the Grand Master, but I think this tradition broke during the 60's or 70's. A brother described the differences between the Swedish and Finnish systems as two different people putting the same book together, but with the various pieces in different order.

Historically, the first lodge in Finland was found in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1756 and it moved to Helsinki, Finland in 1763. At the time the sea fortress of Sveaborg was being built and Helsinki as a city (then only a small town) existed to serve the needs of the fortress. Much of the membership of this lodge were officers of the Swedish army and navy, as well as people related to the fortress construction.

Most of what is nowadays the Republic of Finland was a part of the Swedish Kingdom up to until 1809, when Sweden lost a war against Russia and the Finnish territory was given to Russia as the grand-duchy of Finland. As a part of the aftermath of this war the lodges in Finland ceased officially operating in 1813 and the Tsar of Russia forbid any secret societies (especially masons) in 1822. Up to until Finnish independency (1918) it was illegal for a subject of the Russian Empire to be a mason and the Finnish masons that existed mostly got their degrees in other countries (Sweden, Britain, the US etc), as many of them were mariners, diplomats or other people who traveled a lot.

When Finland became independent a Swedish-speaking lodge under the Grand Lodge of Sweden was established here. Finnish-speaking masons tried to form an agreement with them that would permit a Finnish-speaking lodge to operate under the rule of the Grand Lodge of Sweden, but for reasons unknown to me no such agreement was ever made. Finnish masons and people interested in masonry instead approached the Grand Lodge of New York and people from there helped form the first Finnish-speaking lodged in 1922, with the Grand Lodge of Finland being formed around 1923. Due to this split history in Finland there are lodges that are under the rule of either the Swedish or Finnish Grand Lodges. There was some sort of quarrel between the Grand Lodges that was resolved somewhere around 1950's, before that the Grand Lodge of Sweden didn't recognise the Grand Lodge of Finland. Since the 1950's though things have been friendly. There is also an entirely English-speaking lodge in Helsinki under the rule of the Grand Lodge of Finland, so if a brother visits here they can attend a meeting in a language they can understand easier.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

Now most states have mutual recognition with their Prince Hall counterparts but some southern states do not while the other states recognize both GLs.
My understanding, at least this is how Alaska sees it, is that they only recognize Prince Hall GLs in states where the "regular" GL recognizes them. Part of this is because you are beholden to the GL of the state you are a member of, but also the GL of the territory in which you are present. So as a member of an Alaskan lodge, I could visit a Price Hall lodge in NC, but not in TN. Officially a TN Prince Hall Mason travelling in Alaska shouldn't be able to visit a regular lodge as well, but a regular Alaska Mason wouldn't be expected to excuse himself from an Alaska Prince Hall lodge if a TN Prince Hall Mason was visiting it. In practice, though, the TN Prince Hall Mason would probably be let in to visit in a regular lodge because, hey, we can all keep a secret, right?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The whole thing is loving dumb and an artifact of racist social structures. Just my two cents.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Emron posted:

The whole thing is loving dumb and an artifact of racist social structures. Just my two cents.

Agreed but the solution is integrating grand lodges which would require GLs or PHGLs to give up their sovereignty which is kind of an ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
A couple of years ago, when I was master of my lodge, a visiting mason from TN presented me with a pin from the GL of TN, which said " Be The Example." The next day, I mailed it back to the GL of TN, explaining that I would be happy to sport one of their pins once they recognized PHA.

Much of the south still has a long way to go.