Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What puzzle? I don’t think I’ve ever had to do that to progress in the game

It was in the Ferrier Shockwood in the room before the locked chest, although searching a bit more I think it was just that walkthrough suggesting that. I must have been putting the lightning block in the wrong place or something because I could not solve it the intended way without cheesing it using double jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also the "automatically fast forward to the next story split" chance is fundamental to games like that. They're designed from the ground up to be played until you've seen every ending.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, Steins;Gate doesn't have "routes," per se. It has one path that all the endings sprout off of (and most of the "fake" endings you get in the exact same way, failing to interact when the game prompts you). The "true ending" just lets you see the last chapter in the sequence, meaning that if you don't get it you have to skip back through all the stuff before it.

It's not really a "choose your own adventure" game so much, is what I'm saying. It's pretty linear.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're supposed to go through all the endings anyway. Aside from the true ending they're all really straightforward.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I went through all the other endings which are all short and obvious where the decision point is. I was just a little surprised at the expectation for the true ending.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I just finished Iconoclasts and man, Elro is just an irredeemable piece of poo poo, huh?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Red Dead Redemption 2

Second video is a minor spoiler for the location of a chapter 6 story mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2pd1cgFiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4WpRRxGtM

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

morallyobjected posted:

I just finished Iconoclasts and man, Elro is just an irredeemable piece of poo poo, huh?

Pretty much, yes. I found it pretty refreshing, actually. There aren't many games where one of the protagonists gets his loving arm ripped off and you go, 'yeah he kind of had it coming'. Love how the MC completely ignores him in the ending.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 10, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I ran through loads of enemies in DQXI because I was just destroying everything and now the game is hard. Had three dudes go down in a battle with a witch and it was exciting. I'm going to ignore mobs from now on unless I want to fight new ones and grind after I get my rear end kicked if I feel like it. Really liking the strategy of keeping three pepped up hombres in my pocket to suddenly unleash.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

morallyobjected posted:

Replaying the game makes it even more damning. I get the frustration of living under a dictatorship which - possibly- murdered your dad, but murdering a single agent who probably wasn't even an accomplice to his murder, and then willfully getting your closest family involved sure is something. Acting all high and might about it afterwards is just the cherry on top. That agent going all 'thoughts and prayers' was a nice touch, though haha.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 10, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gray Matter posted:

Welp.. Monster Hunter clicked after a few more hours and owns. The interface and sheer amount of content is overwhelming and I've been learning about it through wikis.

2/4 of my regular Fortnite squad have come around and accept MH as the superior game.

Nice, dude. Glad it worked out. Did either of those vids I posted way back help or were they just more chaff to sort through?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

JB HiFi has the PSVR Mega Bundle for $329AUD.

That includes a Mk.2 Headset and camera, and downloadable versions of the following games;

Skyrim VR
Astrobot Rescue Mission
Doom VFR
Playstation VR Worlds
Wipeout Omega Collection.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ausgoons

JB HiFi has the PSVR Mega Bundle for $329AUD.

That includes a Mk.2 Headset and camera, and downloadable versions of the following games;

Skyrim VR
Astrobot Rescue Mission
Doom VFR
Playstation VR Worlds
Wipeout Omega Collection.

Welp here's my Christmas present

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nice, dude. Glad it worked out. Did either of those vids I posted way back help or were they just more chaff to sort through?
They did, thanks. I've been watching some of Arekkz's YouTube channel on recommendation of Reddit too and he's got a lot of helpful stuff. Trying to grind out HR13 before Sunday now for that Megaman palico suit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gray Matter posted:

They did, thanks. I've been watching some of Arekkz's YouTube channel on recommendation of Reddit too and he's got a lot of helpful stuff. Trying to grind out HR13 before Sunday now for that Megaman palico suit.

It's such a fun game. I wish I'd had a few people to play with regularly. The times we managed to get a four man monster LAN going were the zenith of coop gaming.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I finished Kiwami 1 a couple days ago and plugged in Kiwami 2 tonight and my god, this is the best. I approve of every single difference so far. The experience system, the fighting, the physics, the beauty, the multi-select restaurants, holy poo poo I am so satisfied with playing this game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

It's such a fun game. I wish I'd had a few people to play with regularly. The times we managed to get a four man monster LAN going were the zenith of coop gaming.

3 of my best irl friends picked it up at launch and I must say that it was a magical 6 straight months of nightly circle jerkin.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

I finished Kiwami 1 a couple days ago and plugged in Kiwami 2 tonight and my god, this is the best. I approve of every single difference so far. The experience system, the fighting, the physics, the beauty, the multi-select restaurants, holy poo poo I am so satisfied with playing this game.
Well the good news is all of that came from 6 so if you enjoy Kiwami 2 you'll definitely be down for The Song of Life.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Akuma posted:

Well the good news is all of that came from 6 so if you enjoy Kiwami 2 you'll definitely be down for The Song of Life.

Trying to do it in (game) chronological order. I hope the rest of the remakes hew close to this, because it's pretty great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity for way down the line after I get through the Kiwami's; Is Yakuza 5 any good?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Fix posted:

Trying to do it in (game) chronological order. I hope the rest of the remakes hew close to this, because it's pretty great.

I was thinking about the delay of the HD Remasters in the West and, unless they are really going to bundle all three and release them at once, I thought of something: Yak3 was butchered when it was released in English, so now they are releasing a complete version for the first time, pretty much adapting a mostly unreleased game from scratch. Either of those options would explain why it is taking a while for any kind of news about them to surface.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity for way down the line after I get through the Kiwami's; Is Yakuza 5 any good?

It has taxi driving missions which are legit the funniest levels of any game I've ever played. Load times on PS3 are ridiculous though

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's the worst entry in the entire main series. It has some fun combat but it's way too bloated and the story is so awful that the first few hours of Yakuza 6 are a dedicated epilogue to it because 5's ending is so terrible and barely explains anything.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

They won't/don't, they're remasters and not remakes, unfortunately. Playing them in game chronological order will probably be pretty brutal going from Yakuza Kiwami 2 to Yakuza 3. It'll be a 10 year old game by the point it's out in the West (probably.)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
its fine, i just did it. you have 5 mins of hmmm maybe they should have kiwamied this and then your back to drop kicking fools and helping out peoples problems and you stop caring.

yakuza 3 might have my fav kamo battle track at the minute.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, still playing through RDR2 and holy gently caress I hope I get to shoot Micah in his face Jesus gently caress what an annoying twat.

Before I get closer to the official endgame, is there any stranger missions I get locked out of once I hit the usual rockstar point of no return where something horrible happens to the protags? I'm fully expecting it to be like RDR1, but I dunno. They've thrown some curveballs at me in this game.

I don't want spoilers, don't need details, just want a yes or no answer.

🤠🔫

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man, still playing through RDR2 and holy gently caress I hope I get to shoot Micah in his face Jesus gently caress what an annoying twat.

Before I get closer to the official endgame, is there any stranger missions I get locked out of once I hit the usual rockstar point of no return where something horrible happens to the protags? I'm fully expecting it to be like RDR1, but I dunno. They've thrown some curveballs at me in this game.

🤠🔫

Some just plain stop being available at the end of a Chapter, so complete them as you find them.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

🤠🔫

Yes, here's a list: http://www.powerpyx.com/red-dead-redemption-2-stranger-missions-walkthrough/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some just plain stop being available at the end of a Chapter, so complete them as you find them.

That’s just the missions you can do with your camp, fishing and house robbery etc. Pretty sure no stranger missions work that way.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Policenaut posted:

I think it's the worst entry in the entire main series. It has some fun combat but it's way too bloated and the story is so awful that the first few hours of Yakuza 6 are a dedicated epilogue to it because 5's ending is so terrible and barely explains anything.

I will say that I hated Yakuza 3 more but yeah, Yakuza 5 suffers from a forgettable story and a boring as hell new character. But it does have the completely optional hunting minigame that I totally did not spend 3-4 hours playing non stop just so I could kill a bear no sir.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All of the non-spin off are good and I prefer 5 to 4 since it didn't make me hate every character who wasn't Kiryu or Tanimura and they both had their wtf moments too.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s just the missions you can do with your camp, fishing and house robbery etc. Pretty sure no stranger missions work that way.

Some aren't available after Chapter 6. And one is only available in Chapter 4.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a Yakuza thread?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this one. People keep messing it up by talking about Bloodborne and stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There is so much Yakuza in this thread that I don't need to play the games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No matter how much fawning takes place in the thread, it just sounds like a silly Japanese crime drama with a kung-fu fighting engine and well-written side quests and uh, I really already enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and don’t feel like taking that experience, swapping out China for Japan, and stretching it out over 14 games of varying quality would improve the experience.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Thanks for all the advice about which game I should play first. The consensus seemed to be to start with Sotc so I did. Started playing yesterday and finished it today.

Overall I'm glad I played it, it's a very creative and unique game and I can see why it would have been so highly regarded when it first got released. The updated graphics make for some beautiful vistas and the art direction is phenomenal.

The controls are some of the most frustrating I've had to deal with in a long time though. Super floaty with a terrible camera that loves to spazz out and make you stare at the ground or up at the sky. Your horse gets stuck on geometry all the time and felt kind of terrible to control, especially coming straight from playing RDR2. I feel a little guilty because I was actually kind of glad when your horse falls to his 'death' . Some of the fights were not fun, getting knocked over and climbing back to your feet agonisingly slowly only to be knocked over again before you can move is particularly unfun. There were definitely moments I was swearing at the screen in frustration.

I definitely had more fun in the earlier parts of the game when the colossi were less aggressive and you could just soak in the atmosphere.

SotC is one of those games that I always meant to get around to and I'm happy to be able to tick it if the list. I like it a lot, I think the concept is amazing and art direction is top tier but it's also deeply flawed and I'm glad I never have to play it again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

No matter how much fawning takes place in the thread, it just sounds like a silly Japanese crime drama with a kung-fu fighting engine and well-written side quests and uh, I really already enjoyed Sleeping Dogs and don’t feel like taking that experience, swapping out China for Japan, and stretching it out over 14 games of varying quality would improve the experience.

It's no where near as good as sleeping dogs

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

JBP posted:

It's no where near as good as sleeping dogs

Yeah, it's so much better that sd might as well not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Agro is the best horse if you just treat him like a horse and let him do his thing instead of micromanaging him like he’s a Ferrari in GTA.