Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Edgar posted:

I lost 40 pounds the past six months. Using simply, calories in vs calories out. 36 more pounds to my goal. Only thing I have not done was exercise.. maybe I should incorporate that

But what about starvation mode?
A friend recently got told by a loving certified nutritionist that you cant lose weight if you eat too little as your body stops burning reserves and... just runs on love and sunlight i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

19st 10lbs, still going, still feeling good and stuff, I realised this morning i can wear an old jacket i had hanging up from before i met my girlfriend, wore it today and realised i probably shouldnt have cause its got a hole in it once i was on the bus.
ohwell.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Back to the gym for the first time since I got a cold. Left on a better mood than I entered with. When you get to the gym you feel better about yourself for the rest of the day.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im about 200 now, goal is sub 190 by summer

feeling lazy this week though so no gym and the weather is poo poo so im not riding either

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tino posted:

I don't think so. Is rice cooker an instantpot? Can I cook it with regular pan/pot?

* 1/2 cup dry rice

* 1 cup water

* 1-3 handfuls of frozen veggies. Broccoli is awesome and you can basically unlimited amounts, but a bag of those mixed veggies for stir fry or whatever are good too. If you can find the frozen spinach sold in bags of little 1/4 cup pellets throwing one or two of those in is great. NOT the bag of frozen carrot cubes/peas/corn. This isn't the 70s, good frozen vegetables are available.

* 1 serving of protein. 1/4 can of Spam cut in cubes. A can of tuna. Some frozen off-the-shelf meatballs. Even a couple tablespoons of peanut butter if that's what you've got. I like to grill or roast a few chicken breasts at a time and then cut them up and package them in single servings in baggies in the freezer to toss in later (also works with steak, hamburger, whatever).

* Garlic, ginger, salt, pepper as you like

Then turn on the rice cooker and wait for the magic wizard inside to tell you everything is cooked. Stir and serve. (or eat out of the pot like an animal, no one will know.)

Sauce??? Sauce is optional, but if you use a sauce make sure you measure out a serving, it's usually going to be 2 tablespoons or 1/4 a cup, and it's easy to go way over. Obvious choice are honey garlic or sweet and sour, but a basic canned spaghetti sauce goes surprisingly well with most proteins (even the can of tuna, but not the peanut butter tho). You can actually dump in your sauce with all the other ingredients, but it's a bit nicer to have the sauce on top at the end.

Depending on the protein, vegetables and sauce you use this should come out to about 600-800 calories. Takes less than 5 minutes to toss everything in the cooker. Then 20-30 minutes for the cooker to be done, but you can go shitpost while you wait.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
My mother in law stayed with us for 2 and a half weeks and I gained 10 pounds from stress eating and drinking lol

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
^^^ had you been losing weight before she arrived? If so, chances are it was only around 5 lbs of actual gain. You can get that off in no time!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Back to the gym for the first time since I got a cold. Left on a better mood than I entered with. When you get to the gym you feel better about yourself for the rest of the day.

Can confirm. Even doing a half hour of incline treadmill walking sets a great tone for the day.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

runupon cracker posted:

^^^ had you been losing weight before she arrived? If so, chances are it was only around 5 lbs of actual gain. You can get that off in no time!

Yeah I thought so too but it is definitely not water weight. I kind of waited for things to equalize which happens like after a bad weekend, but I'm going to have to lose all of it the hard way. This was basically 8 bad weekends in a row. I was hoping to have saved up some cookie room for the holiday season but nope.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
stop eatin so much

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That'll just make you fat. You oughta eat more so the extra mass gets ejected like pulsar's beams.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Went back to the gym today and was so embarrassed that I had to use super light weight. Maybe I should stick with cardio and maybe buy some small weights and use them at home.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nothing embarassing about lifting low weight, just keep at it and practice good form. If you do it often enough you can up it by 5-10 pounds every other week just through casual exercise.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Went back to the gym today and was so embarrassed that I had to use super light weight. Maybe I should stick with cardio and maybe buy some small weights and use them at home.

No one at the gym gives a poo poo about how much you're lifting, they're all far too concerned with their own routines. Just keep at it, if you want to lift more there's plenty of progression plans out there, but don't feel any pressure to do so. Also do cardio outside if you possibly can, in-gym cardio is horrifically tedious (for me anyway)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve been lifting for nearly ten years after learning about it on these very forums. When I started I got trapped under the empty bar doing my first ever bench press.

I get warm fuzzies when I see inexperienced or newer lifters lifting light weight because I know their journey is beginning and getting super strong lies in store. Plus, never underestimate someone’s strength. They may be lifting light because they just finished some heavy work sets, or because they are doing mad volume.

In short, never worry about how much you’re lifting, just strive to always do a bit better next time.

My personal thread contribution: down about six pounds (200 -> 194) since the beginning of November. I’ve never had visible abs but nothing will stop me on this quest.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Yeah, anyone who talks, or even thinks poo poo about you for lifting low weights is really just insecure about how much progress they've made. If you focus on getting the form straight you can go from nothing to, at the very least, a respectable amount in like 3-4 month's time.

e: that said I had to quit my gym for monetary reasons a couple months ago and if I can't do a proper rear end big weight squat in a couple months I'm likely to go loving postal because holy loving poo poo bodyweight squats are just so boring and you have to do so many of them and I just want to hit that loving mental nirvana that squatting heavy as gently caress gives and it sincerely bothers me that one day, I will be too old to ever hit that point again

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

klapman posted:

Yeah, anyone who talks, or even thinks poo poo about you for lifting low weights is really just insecure about how much progress they've made. If you focus on getting the form straight you can go from nothing to, at the very least, a respectable amount in like 3-4 month's time.

e: that said I had to quit my gym for monetary reasons a couple months ago and if I can't do a proper rear end big weight squat in a couple months I'm likely to go loving postal because holy loving poo poo bodyweight squats are just so boring and you have to do so many of them and I just want to hit that loving mental nirvana that squatting heavy as gently caress gives and it sincerely bothers me that one day, I will be too old to ever hit that point again

Being too old to be swole is debunked my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA

You can be swole to the day you die. Leave a swole corpse my friend

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Zzulu posted:

Holy moley that's one good looking 70 year old.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Zzulu posted:

Do you think he takes some kind of testosterone? Not in a bad way but test decreases with age.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Piggy Smalls posted:

Do you think he takes some kind of testosterone? Not in a bad way but test decreases with age.

Putting on muscle, especially if you maintain it from when you are younger, can help slow the effect of testosterone loss. Even then if you keep at it you will eventually still build up.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Zzulu posted:

*the hallelujah chorus is piped in to my room through tinny speakers as a legion of heavenly plates and barbells descend upon my unworthy body*

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Piggy Smalls posted:

That man is juiced to the loving gills.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
"takes some kind of testosterone" drat what a loving square thing to say

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I do marijuana

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

the T in THC stands for testosterone. it's true, don't believe the lies!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Piggy Smalls posted:

lmao he probably fuckin sweats steroids out of his skin

I mean, fair play to the dude, he's working hard to look like that, but you don't get fuckin comic book muscles at 70 years old without an IV bag of steroids

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he had some chemical assistance although at that age you might as well. You sure as hell aren't competing in athletic events that might ban it, and I don't think any long term health effects/ shrinking dick would matter when you are that old.

You can definitely remain in good physical health through your 70s even if you don't look like a body builder. My grandfather was doing pushups and all sorts of calisthenics pretty much until he hit 80 and he could definitely outdo some fat sedentary middle aged office worker in those regards.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh for sure. I think it should be routinely prescribed for older guys who don't have other medical conditions that would make it dangerous to take PED's. Imagine how much better that dude's quality of life is compared to your average 70 year old. Juice all the olds up, I say.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he had some chemical assistance although at that age you might as well. You sure as hell aren't competing in athletic events that might ban it, and I don't think any long term health effects/ shrinking dick would matter when you are that old.

You can definitely remain in good physical health through your 70s even if you don't look like a body builder. My grandfather was doing pushups and all sorts of calisthenics pretty much until he hit 80 and he could definitely outdo some fat sedentary middle aged office worker in those regards.

Your dick doesn't shrink, that's loving nonsense made up by jealous people to make themselves feel better. Your balls shrink because your body has self-regulating mechanisms that tell your balls that there's enough testosterone in your body and they don't need to make any more. It's the same with any hormone-producing gland. No I've never used steroids, I just dislike stupidity.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

feelix posted:

Your dick doesn't shrink, that's loving nonsense made up by jealous people to make themselves feel better. Your balls shrink because your body has self-regulating mechanisms that tell your balls that there's enough testosterone in your body and they don't need to make any more. It's the same with any hormone-producing gland. No I've never used steroids, I just dislike stupidity.

I was being hyperbolic hth. And yeah most common (and easily observable outside of a clinical setting) complications from steroid use involve your hormonal balance going out of whack sometimes leading to luxurious bosoms and infertility.

Afaik juicers can absolutely avoid most of these effects if they dose properly and reach out for qualified medical advice, but as seen on various bodybuilding forums, muscle heads aren't always smart.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Colonel Cancer posted:

I was being hyperbolic hth. And yeah most common (and easily observable outside of a clinical setting) complications from steroid use involve your hormonal balance going out of whack sometimes leading to luxurious bosoms and infertility.

Afaik juicers can absolutely avoid most of these effects if they dose properly and reach out for qualified medical advice, but as seen on various bodybuilding forums, muscle heads aren't always smart.

There's a whole bunch of ways of mitigating negative side effects from steroids, including careful dose management and cycling regime, choice of which compounds to use, continual blood tests to monitor levels of T and other hormones, additional drugs to regulate non-testosterone hormones (Estrogen is a major one, as many steroids are eventually processed into estrogen by the body), drugs to reduce negative effects on cholesterol levels and heart health, and post-cycle therapies and testing to allow the body to recover it's own ability to make hormones and monitor said recovery.

Unfortunately all these things are either complicated or expensive (a responsible body builder taking care of their long term health should probably be spending more on testing, side effect management and post-cycle therapies than on actual gear). Most guys who take steroids aren't dedicated professional body builders, they're everyday gym goers who want to get bigger faster and/or with less effort than training naturally, and don't want to spend months researching dosing or drop 3x as much on staying safe and healthy as they do on what they think of as the important bit. Some guys are more responsible of course, but even then, there are a lot of long term effects we just don't understand yet, especially when it comes to the brain and cognition and also epigenetic effects on children conceived during or after heavy steroid use.

Never taken anything nor will I, I'm female for a start and I barely even lift and never heavy, I just find the whole scene fascinating from a total outsider perspective and follow a few guys on youtube who talk about this a lot, some of whom are doctors or widely recognized experts.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've never been on any testosterone etc., but have seriously thought about starting some time after I turn 40, if blood tests warrant it ofc. Not just for working out, general health, and being able to & wanting to gently caress.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 23, 2018

Woden
May 6, 2006

doverhog posted:

I've never been on any testosterone etc., but have seriously thought about starting some time after I turn 40, if blood tests warrant it ofc. Not just for working out, general health, and being able to & wanting to gently caress.

All the dudes I know in long term relationships and are over 40, have a missus who rarely wants to gently caress.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Woden posted:

All the dudes I know in long term relationships and are over 40, have a missus who rarely wants to gently caress.

Tell those dudes my condolences, or perhaps congratulate them, up to you really.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If I were a buff 70 year old I think I'd rather have a normal dick, what's the point of looking cut if not to get laid in finely aged pussay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grevling posted:

If I were a buff 70 year old I think I'd rather have a normal dick, what's the point of looking cut if not to get laid in finely aged pussay.

Ah, a '66 Socal Blonde excellent vintage.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

LadyPictureShow posted:

This one you can be simmered in a regular pot, or made in a slow cooker it's pretty no muss no fuss:

Ingredients
1 cup red lentils
1 cup chopped carrot
2 cups chopped cauliflower
1 large onion, chopped
4 cups vegetable stock or water
2 teaspoons garam masala (or curry powder)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups (130g) kale, chopped

Combine all of the ingredients except the kale and cook until lentils are tender and starting to fall apart.

Stir in the kale and cover for ~5 minutes to let it cook a little.

That's it.

I final got around to make a big pot according to this recipe. Its indeed very delicious. Curry taste great.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought I'd lost a lot of weight this week but turns out the battery on my scale was almost out.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I gained 2lbs over christmas, not too bad all things considered, back on the plan now though, might gently caress it up one more day at new years but i have work on the 2nd so i might not.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Gained like 10 pounds since summer. Not all fat, been hitting the gym hard but also eating shittier than normal after a death in the family. Comfort foods lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

New year, new body! I started working out about 6 months ago and was around 160 lbs. My body was very similar to these first two photos, even tho these were taken years ago.

Before, 156-160 lbs

About 3 months into working out and watching what I eat, I had lost about 10-15 lbs and gained a lot of muscle. I do entirely calisthenics (bodyweight exercise), 4 days a week, about 45 minutes a day.

After, 145 lbs

Now (about 6 months in) I’m working out less since I’m busy with classes, but I’m still going 3-4 days a week with a similar routine. I’m currently around 138 lbs, can do 8-10 pull ups with additional 30 lbs, similar with dips, and I’m in the best shape of my life. I am confident with my body, wake up with lots of energy, and people at the gym come to me with questions about how I got where I am.

I’d like to thank this thread for the inspiration I needed to get here, and I hope 2019 brings even more growth in my calisthenics abilities and my body.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 1, 2019