Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Doedicarus is the stone gatherer. For metal you want an ankylosaurus I think

Yep, Doeds will gather mad rock, and will only get rock, even from ore rocks. They also get a good amount of thatch, which i something i'm constantly short of. The Beavers are where you get wood from. Those are your 3 primary gathering tames.

I can easily get 5k metal in less than 10 minutes with an anklo, and that's mostly because there isn't that many ore nodes near our base that are fast to access. Full circut and and all the ore nodes I know near viking bay can easily earn 20k metal.

Man, it drives me nuts that Neebs does not use the S+ structures mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Yep, Doeds will gather mad rock, and will only get rock, even from ore rocks. They also get a good amount of thatch, which i something i'm constantly short of. The Beavers are where you get wood from. Those are your 3 primary gathering tames.

I can easily get 5k metal in less than 10 minutes with an anklo, and that's mostly because there isn't that many ore nodes near our base that are fast to access. Full circut and and all the ore nodes I know near viking bay can easily earn 20k metal.

Man, it drives me nuts that Neebs does not use the S+ structures mod.

They do have S+, they just suck at building. :laugh:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
which is the first dlc that i should get?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They do have S+, they just suck at building. :laugh:

All those wooden supports on the buildings are driving me nuts!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Wait for steam sale and get the season pass for $10.

twistedmentat posted:

All those wooden supports on the buildings are driving me nuts!

I know. I want to help them... :ohdear:

The new Conan series is fun, too!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I know. I want to help them... :ohdear:

The new Conan series is fun, too!

Yep! I've had it on my wishlist for a while, I'll grab it if it ever drops to 25bux or less. My favorite thing so far has been Neebs finding out what he needs to do to get one green dye. That and their fight club.

Abberation has been pretty fun so far now they're progressing a bit. Hopefully they'll get metal tools soon.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ok, thanks

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

If you haven't played Ragnorak, that's free. From what I hear, The Center has some cool vistas but is all borked up gameplay-wise

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I liked the center apart from learning the hard way that the west side of the main continent is prone to suprise giga.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Drown all gigas.
gently caress them with a rake

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Salisbury Snape posted:

Drown all gigas.
gently caress them with a rake

I found a perfect vantage point and started to shoot my ascendent long rifle at one, which does 1400 a hit. I used up all 250 bullets I had on me, and it wasn't even bloody. I looked at the wiki and thr lowest level gigs has 80k hp.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Just kite them out into the sea and fly to the edge of the render range. They go inactive and drown.
Everytime I die to a giga I go out on a rampage and slaughter them all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man, you can taxidermy your tribe mates in Extinction. Its surprising how long it took to add that to the game.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Oh man, you can taxidermy your tribe mates in Extinction. Its surprising how long it took to add that to the game.

A cliffhanger episode before Christmas...much rudeness. :derp:

But yeah, Extinction looks like it has a ton of fun, new stuff to explore and do!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A cliffhanger episode before Christmas...much rudeness. :derp:

But yeah, Extinction looks like it has a ton of fun, new stuff to explore and do!

Its good to know from their vids that the corrupted dinos are all hostile.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I see that some of the maps are labelled "story arks", is there a singleplayer-ish story mode in this game? The OP seems to suggest everything is multiplayer based.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Asehujiko posted:

I see that some of the maps are labelled "story arks", is there a singleplayer-ish story mode in this game? The OP seems to suggest everything is multiplayer based.

There is lore and a whole back-story, but if you’re truly interested in that: just read the wiki.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Asehujiko posted:

The lore is presented via text logs that you find while playing. There's no order to them and quite frankly I don't really care enough. There's no narrative to speak of.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Oh that's a shame. Is the game still fun to play solo? I'm stuck at my parent's place for the holidays and their internet doesn't lend itself to online stuff very well.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

It can be fun solo if you're bored. Prim+ is pretty cool.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Are we playing that ark mod Atlas? I don't see a thread.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Are we playing that ark mod Atlas? I don't see a thread.

Isn't that a new game? Pirates?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvl338jHAMI

Apparently they just reskinned ark with pirates.

Alan Demarest
Feb 14, 2011
I bought that Atlas game on early access release

When we spawned in on the spawning islands called "freeports", it was absolutely too laggy to do anything, you were constantly rubberbanding back and forth and the only option I had was to get someone from a group to invite me, so I could spawn on one of their rafts that had made it off the island.

Once we were off the spawning islands, the game was much more smooth, rubberbanding was gone and you could play, fighting animals and such wasn't bad.

I haven't tried ship combat or anything like that but I'm not exactly optimistic about how it functions right now, I'd say the game has potential but right now it feels like a poor execution.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Alan Demarest posted:

I bought that Atlas game on early access release

When we spawned in on the spawning islands called "freeports", it was absolutely too laggy to do anything, you were constantly rubberbanding back and forth and the only option I had was to get someone from a group to invite me, so I could spawn on one of their rafts that had made it off the island.

Once we were off the spawning islands, the game was much more smooth, rubberbanding was gone and you could play, fighting animals and such wasn't bad.

I haven't tried ship combat or anything like that but I'm not exactly optimistic about how it functions right now, I'd say the game has potential but right now it feels like a poor execution.

Do we have any goon clans up? The own thread for it here is dead...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

We have a chill server where we mostly PVE, but that’s it.

Alan Demarest
Feb 14, 2011

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I'm just a member of some friends group, no idea if there is any goon clans

We have a chill server where we mostly PVE, but that’s it.

Did they released Atlas server files or are you talking about an Ark server? If so, which map do you guys play on?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Alan Demarest posted:

I'm just a member of some friends group, no idea if there is any goon clans

Did they released Atlas server files or are you talking about an Ark server? If so, which map do you guys play on?

Ark. We play on Ragnarok right now but may switch to Extinction next year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Neebs says they're probably going to do Atlas as some point. Though as I mentioned the only other one of these kind of games i'd think oif grabbing is Conan Exiles.

Also if you want a story driven Survival Crafting game, get Subnautica.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Got this game recently. I wouldn't mind trying out a chill goon server. If anyone has the info of how to get there, I'm all ears!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

You computer or console?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Pc. Currently in EU for a month but then back to US

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Crap. I can never find goons that play xbox. I really need to rebuild my PC.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Started a solo game on the tropical island map, picked a spawn point marked as "easy", made a pickaxe, levelled up, make a regular axe, lost both to a raptor sprinting from the treeline and killing me. Respawned, got spawncamped by the raptor. Respawned again, same raptor. Did I just get unlucky or is this the solo experience that makes people play in large groups?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Asehujiko posted:

Started a solo game on the tropical island map, picked a spawn point marked as "easy", made a pickaxe, levelled up, make a regular axe, lost both to a raptor sprinting from the treeline and killing me. Respawned, got spawncamped by the raptor. Respawned again, same raptor. Did I just get unlucky or is this the solo experience that makes people play in large groups?

Sounds exactly like my starting experience. If you haven't died a few dozen times (including 10+ to the same animal) then you are playing too cautiously! :woop:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The lore is presented via text logs that you find while playing. There's no order to them and quite frankly I don't really care enough. There's no narrative to speak of.
There actually is a narrative if you read the explorer notes in numerical order, especially Helena's. I mean, it's still very bare-bones, but the notes and the various ascension cutscenes do in fact tell a story.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Asehujiko posted:

For funsies I tried hard zone 3 on the island. It was.... unfruitful.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I starting playing on PS4. But I have no intention to put much time into it. Since Atlas is not available on consoles, is the next thing to experience something like Atlas.

I remember playing on PC a million of years ago. Has become the game easier?

I managed to build a base, protect it with spikes, kill dinosaurs (even a few larger ones). Abusing the spikes and a lot of arrows I killed a Alpha, and it had a lot of cool loot.

I have played other sandbox games, and so far this is the most confusing ones. Like.. the mechanic for recipes is kind of crazy. You... put a paper on a fire... it create a recipe that is a real object... that need to be in the fire inventory??.. Is the oposite of obvious. The forge was more reasonable (put mats, put wood).

I have yet to tame a animal or open these cool droppods that magically descend from the sky.

Game is kind of the worst sandbox game ever made, but very appealing. The graphics can be just cool, and it moves smoothly on my PS4 pro.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've put hundreds of hours into Ark and I never bothered to learn about how to cook poo poo. This includes kibble. I always just played on servers with increased tame rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Started this on the Xbox. Anybody still play it here?