Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

OhFunny posted:

That's sure something to watch.

Although I think Colin Powell reading a kid's plagiarized essay at the UN to justify the Iraq War tops this.

The US ambassador might not have given Saddam the ok to invade Kuwait, but what she did say was that the United States "doesn't have an opinion" on the Arab conflicts, and that the US wouldn't start an economic war with Iraq. Basically the US gave Iraq a lot of bad signals because our state department didn't have the wherewithal to establish a clear policy regarding Iraq's grievances with Kuwait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

So is trying to equate intervention in the Gulf War and the "intervention" (against what, exactly?) in 2003.

a single narrative line of thought involving the exact same powers within a decade of time

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Cerebral Bore posted:

You denying facts doesn't make them less true. Also you, personally, argued about five posts ago that the motives of the intervening power don't matter. So if you want to pursue this line of argument, I'll have to demand a detailed and complete proof that Saddam would, in fact, have kept them migrant workers around in the same conditions.

Incidentally, you have posited absolutely no motive so far, much less a plausible one.

The reason the serf underclass existed in the first place is so they could be employed as an expandable workforce with poo poo working conditions and little to no pay. Why would those incentives suddenly disappear under Saddam?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

THS posted:

a single narrative line of thought involving the exact same powers within a decade of time

Which hostile action of Iraq was the cause for the 2003 intervention?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
"A foreign military occupation is actually cool and good, and should not be interfered with" - the wise posters in this thread

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Was Bush an Iraqi operative?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Was Bush an Iraqi operative?

what the gently caress are you even doddering about

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"A foreign military occupation is actually cool and good, and should not be interfered with" - the wise posters in this thread

I always wonder what white noise would look like written out so thanks for your posts. Now I know.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the claim was that Iraq violated resolution 1441

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The reason the serf underclass existed in the first place is so they could be employed as an expandable workforce with poo poo working conditions and little to no pay. Why would those incentives suddenly disappear under Saddam?

Because Iraq had no shortage of manpower, you dumbass. Serf underclasses exist in the gulf states because they have tiny populations of citizens and hence a lot of money to throw around per capita, so they lure in and enserf people so they don't have to work themselves. Nothing of the sort ever existed in Baathist Iraq, because it had a large, young population and not a lot of money to throw around per capita. So you're positing that Saddam would have kept around a bunch of poor unskilled workers for no reason when he had plenty in his own country, which is clearly ludicrous hence he had no motive. You'd likely see this if you took of your ideological blinders for even a moment, but you can't because your ideology demands that Saddam was literally a Saturday morning cartoon villain who'd just naturally pick the most evil option every time, so you can go on believing in the Good War.

And incidentally, even if Saddam would have kept serfdom exactly as is, which he wouldn't, then at least 170000 serfs managed to escape according to your own sources which seems to be a pretty big positive, so your argument still doesn't work.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Prav posted:

what the gently caress are you even doddering about

"Bush did 911" is about as valid as "Iraq did 911"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat we got some ironclad-rear end logic gettin thrown around

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

"Bush did 911" is about as valid as "Iraq did 911"

no poo poo it was a bullshit reason you loving moron

THS
Sep 15, 2017

not by the US, which has the motivation to intervene in the worst possible way then later murder millions

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
It's pretty obvious at this point that no one in this thread is willing to accept that it is permissible to intervene in response to a foreign invasion and occupation. Nothing I say will persuade you otherwise. Because apparently I am blinded by ideology (which ideology? whatever) and can't see that after encouraging conflicts in the region for decades, the US should have just leaned back and refused to help Kuwait.

There really is nothing more to say here.

God willing, this is my last post in this thread.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

masha'allah.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

inshallah

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

imo Saddam should have just ended the invasion and withdrawn after the UN issued Resolution 678

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Allah grant us all the courage to deny the consequences of our arguments and storm away in a huff.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

“which ideology” lol

THS
Sep 15, 2017

when that interventionist liberal mindset is so natural that it flows through you like warm waves

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If nothing else this here meltdown is very illustrative of how liberal interventionism works when it can't bullshit its way past things anymore.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

It's pretty obvious at this point that no one in this thread is willing to accept that it is permissible to intervene in response to a foreign invasion and occupation. Nothing I say will persuade you otherwise. Because apparently I am blinded by ideology (which ideology? whatever) and can't see that after encouraging conflicts in the region for decades, the US should have just leaned back and refused to help Kuwait.

The issue isn't whether it would be theoretically just to defend another country from an invasion purely out of the goodness of your heart and leave once it's done, it's that US has never done that

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Guns?

You can read all about it here.

"Following the events of the Iraq–Kuwait war, about half of the Kuwaiti population,[50] including 400,000 Kuwaitis and several thousand foreign nationals, fled the country. The Indian government evacuated over 170,000 overseas Indians by flying almost 488 flights over 59 days.[51]

During the 7-month occupation, the forces of Saddam Hussein looted Kuwait's vast wealth and there were also reports of violations of human rights.[52] A 2005 study revealed that the Iraqi occupation had a long-term adverse impact on the health of the Kuwaiti populace.[53]"

Actions have consequences.

kuwait was a major financial backer of iraq during the iran-iraq war, loaning them money so they could buy weapons. when the war turned into a stalemate and finally ended iraq was left with lots of military infrastructure and indebted to the likes of kuwait who were calling in that debt. so saddam invaded iraq's weak neighbor in an attempt to wipe out that debt. actions do have consequences.

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Dec 10, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lol no please keep posting this is amazing. You were sharing such delightful opinions in the I/P thread too, please tell us more! :allears:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is one of the more boring meltdowns i've caused

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

This is one of the more boring meltdowns i've caused

pls don't steal paulie socc's posting valor

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

:eyepop:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

freckle posted:

pls don't steal paulie socc's posting valor

he got mad i posted that video in the UKMT in dnd. he's now quoting lightning knight from this thread in the DnD israel palestine thread because he was getting mocked here lol

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jose posted:

he got mad i posted that video in the UKMT in dnd. he's now quoting lightning knight from this thread in the DnD israel palestine thread because he was getting mocked here lol

extremely lol

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

like most things in the middle east this thread went to poo poo immediately after an israeli touched it lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerraS posted:

like most things in the middle east this thread went to poo poo immediately after an israeli touched it lol

:drat:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HerraS posted:

lmao

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

HerraS posted:

lmao god drat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1SojKfgNI

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

the point about liberal interventionism is the constant exhortation to “do something” without any analysis of the motivation of the empire doing the intervention. if you view the gulf war by itself then maybe you can try to justify it. that’s dumb though, that’s babby analysis. instead intervention has to be viewed as part of a series of cynical and opportunist geopolitical moves by the current global nazi monster (the united states) so we can see it in the context of what the intervention meant after saddam hussein became no longer useful, post his failed invasion of revolutionary iran

the first gulf war was preceded by our support for iraq during the iran/iraq war. then we implicitly allowed the invasion of kuwait so we could intervene, and followed by a decade of sanctions that killed untold amounts of iraqis, and that followed by a catastrophic war by the original george bush’s son that murdered millions

all of these events based on, of course, a progression of manipulating truth or just outright lies. and these events are also at the core of why much of the middle east became so dramatically unstable in a long line of the US constantly intervening from the opposite side of the world

so with all that in consideration, the first gulf war was bad. there’s no way to prove a counter-factual, maybe of the US hadn’t invaded the entire world would be under the boot of the global iraqi empire

i think more people would be better off, though, and more people would be alive

anyway

death to america
i see it a little bit differently, and i think this veers into conspiracy theory. understandable enough. but here's my take:

you are correct that U.S. imperialism is short-sighted and opportunistic, and it is constantly "tilting" and "signaling" around, with the principle goal in the middle east of (a) hostility to iran and (b) creating markets for weapons, investments, and keeping various countries dependent on the united states made possible via courting influence in political parties, key industries, military branches and intelligence agencies.

immediately before the gulf war, the U.S. did not see saddam as no longer useful. on the contrary, the U.S. opted to hedge closer to iraq, considering the fact that saddam had been weakened by the iran war and was himself willing to reach some kind of closer partnership with the united states, which also didn't want to rely too much on the saudis (again, better to have a generalized atmosphere of "chaos" which opens up pathways for the flow of weapons, investments, superpower dependencies that make U.S. imperialism possible...).

you are also aware of how before the iraqi invasion of kuwait, the U.S. ambassador to iraq was telling them that their border issue with kuwait was none of "our" concern. but i think this overture to saddam basically blew up in the bush administration's face; they didn't expect him to actually invade a U.S. ally. the ambassador would later say "we never expected they would take all of kuwait." i believe she was telling the truth. you know -- we'll let you revise the border a bit, to stop the horizontal drilling, etc.

that was the "signal" to saddam that the U.S. was willing to pay that price for his dependency.

this is kissinger diplomacy. which is natural enough, because the bush administration staffed itself with his people from kissinger, associates. the goal is "mutually-assured destabilization." no war but no peace. no winner or loser. just maximum "realpolitik." and saddam's refusal to play a lot with the tilt-and-signal game, or misinterpreting the U.S. "signal" as a green light, is why he was punished.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Dec 10, 2018

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HerraS posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HerraS posted:

:boom: