Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FreudianSlippers posted:

Best Superman is the early social justice superman that went after slumlords and the like.

I still want to see a movie about how Kennedy gave the Superman radio show a bunch of KKK secrets which then basically zeroed out their ranks because kids kept asking their dads why they keep trying to kill Superman and racists considering it saw that the KKK is dumb as gently caress.

Mostly I want this to see hear Superman punch a few dozen klansmen in the face but the story's pretty cool too

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's got functional elbows now instead of limp spaghetti arms?

#NOTMYSONIC #NOTALLELBOWS #SPAGHETTIARMSMATTER #THANKSOBAMA

Ew why would you give him functional elbows. He’s a humanized hedgehog do not go the realistic angle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RBA Starblade posted:

I still want to see a movie about how Kennedy gave the Superman radio show a bunch of KKK secrets which then basically zeroed out their ranks because kids kept asking their dads why they keep trying to kill Superman and racists considering it saw that the KKK is dumb as gently caress.

Mostly I want this to see Superman punch a few dozen klansmen in the face but the story's pretty cool too

I believe that's in active production or at least pre production. It was definitely announced

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I believe that's in active production or at least pre production. It was definitely announced

Oh really? I didn't know that!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Wait does he have one beefy arm like trogdor?

Sonic with muscular legs like an actual runner looks weird/wrong to me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha ha ha ha if we're all bugging out (well, pretending to bug out) because the silhouette looks a bit off I can't wait until they show his face :allears:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha ha ha ha if we're all bugging out (well, pretending to bug out) because the silhouette looks a bit off I can't wait until they show his face :allears:

I hope he looks like that fan movie with the quills.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

wdarkk posted:

What I want to see is what the eyes look like. Sonic's eyes are a thing that's had endless revisions and jokes about them.

Good news!

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/10/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-first-look-check-out-the-exclusive-official-poster

quote:

The most challenging part of Sonic’s updated design isn’t revealed in this teaser: his eyes. The filmmakers struggled with how best to depict Sonic’s eyes because often he’s only seen with one, and that wouldn’t translate well to the live-action movie.

I don’t think SEGA was entirely happy with the eye decision, but these sorts of things you go, ‘It’s going to look weird if we don’t do this.’ But everything is a discussion, and that’s kind of the goal, which is to only change what’s necessary and stay true to the rest of it,” said Miller. “He’s not going to feel like a Pixar character would because I don’t think that’s the right aesthetic to make it feel like part of our world.”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who would have thought this freshman director known for almost nothing before taking on a giant franchise film with an iffy base concept would bungle it!?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's gonna be the Super Mario Bros movie all over again. It's the perfect punchline.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sonic should be disgusting and wrong and I wouldn't want it any other way

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

tumblr banning adult content just before a new Sonic The Hedgehog design is revealed is poetic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sega should have went with Yakuza/Kiryu instead.

And of course directed by Takashi Miike.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fart City posted:

tumblr banning adult content just before a new Sonic The Hedgehog design is revealed is poetic.

Isn't the remaining DeviantArt user base exclusively focused on Sonic fandom?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

This literally happened.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is this a joke? Cause this already exists and isn't very good.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRQT9ODqDI

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Luckily Miike has made literally dozens of cool films about Japanese mobsters.

I bought the DVD of the video game adaptation, but never got round to watching it. What’s wrong with it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was implying some sort of CGI effort.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BeigeJacket posted:

Luckily Miike has made literally dozens of cool films about Japanese mobsters.

I bought the DVD of the video game adaptation, but never got round to watching it. What’s wrong with it?

Nothing really, Miike just did his usual slow, plodding build until the craziness breaks loose that was a lot of his films during the time. But the craziness doesn’t really break loose until the last 20 minutes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fart City posted:

https://twitter.com/Palle_Hoffstein/status/1072142731655417862

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I can’t get over how utterly repellent that Sonic design looks. might well outdo the Michael Bay TMNT movies for worst CG protagonist design in a hybrid film

I wasn’t thrilled about Detective Pikachu using photorealistic fur, scales, etc., and I’m still not, but Sonic reminds me that it could have been far, far worse

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It’s an outline. I’d rather they do Roger Rabbit style but whatever. Who gives a poo poo.

It’s basically a human body with a Sonic head.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

You haven't lived if your dong hasn't collect coins.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HilyOLWzrM

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Barry Convex posted:

I can’t get over how utterly repellent that Sonic design looks. might well outdo the Michael Bay TMNT movies for worst CG protagonist design in a hybrid film

I wasn’t thrilled about Detective Pikachu using photorealistic fur, scales, etc., and I’m still not, but Sonic reminds me that it could have been far, far worse

V excited to see Sonic’s sexy Ned Flanders butt

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I just want to point out that whoever is doing the new sonic movie didn't create any official subreddits for it. Usually a good thing to do before announcing a property, just to prevent any shenanigans.

So, I did.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gatts posted:

It’s an outline. I’d rather they do Roger Rabbit style but whatever. Who gives a poo poo.

It’s basically a human body with a Sonic head.

the producers have already come out and said in an interview that Sega didn’t like their eye/face design lol

which does not exactly bode well

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's gonna be the Super Mario Bros movie all over again. It's the perfect punchline.

I was just thinking after seeing the IGN article that having a director like Fowler being open from day one about being a massive, long-time Sonic fan was going to be a huge factor in it NOT turning out like the SMB movie. Rocky and Annabel got the job because they made Max Headroom and Disney had already spent way too much on pre-production hell for a project that never had any vision to begin with, so they went with a couple whose music videos and sci-fi TV show were lauded because they literally could not figure out who else to get, Zemeckis had already turned them down. SMB was literally a case of, "The games and merchandise have sold to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, let's make a movie out of it and figure it out as we go along!" Fowler and Miller at least seem to have an actual vision for this and their heads and hearts appear to be in the right place. As for Moritz, one thing you can give the F&F franchise credit for is getting "better" as it inexplicably went along, pure popcorn as it is; but how many franchises actually get better with each installment?

I don't think much of the cliche "Put Sonic into our world" retreaded plot from the X cartoon, but whatever - if you're going to spend hundreds of millions on a movie like this, you're probably going to elect to play it safe with the story. Sonic tends to work best when he's treated like the cartoon character that he and the supporting cast actually are (hence the Boom cartoon turned out so well) so the "fish out of water" plot isn't too far off from that. I think this is going to be "not that bad" at best with an RT score in the 60s, but not a flaming disaster.

The shoes, though! Why the laces?!

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 11, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Agent Escalus posted:

The shoes, though! Why the laces?!

Back when Sonic Adventure came out, I feel like Sega must have had some kind of directive that the two main ongoing comic adaptations (Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog and Fleetway's Sonic the Comic) had to explain why Sonic now had green eyes. I remember Sonic the Comic going for this particular angle with the Chaos creature from Adventure and had a bit where Sonic gets trapped inside him for a bit, comes out with green eyes all of a sudden, and then that's it, it doesn't matter. It felt like it had been pushed in by someone other than the writer. The other characters got their Adventure redesigns, but none of them were explained.

Meanwhile, across the Pond, the Archie comic did an entire story to explain not only why Sonic now had green eyes, but why his shoes now had buckles as well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/heatvisionblog/status/1072272972600139776?s=21

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait are judging the new Sonic design off of literally just a silhouette?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Barry Convex posted:

the producers have already come out and said in an interview that Sega didn’t like their eye/face design lol

which does not exactly bode well

I think the people who gave us Sonic's human girlfriend and the werehog are maybe not the best judges of designs.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Back when Sonic Adventure came out, I feel like Sega must have had some kind of directive that the two main ongoing comic adaptations (Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog and Fleetway's Sonic the Comic) had to explain why Sonic now had green eyes. I remember Sonic the Comic going for this particular angle with the Chaos creature from Adventure and had a bit where Sonic gets trapped inside him for a bit, comes out with green eyes all of a sudden, and then that's it, it doesn't matter. It felt like it had been pushed in by someone other than the writer. The other characters got their Adventure redesigns, but none of them were explained.

Meanwhile, across the Pond, the Archie comic did an entire story to explain not only why Sonic now had green eyes, but why his shoes now had buckles as well.

There's a video on YouTube by a guy named Satchbag that basically does what you're describing as a way of saying that the comics exist so people can understand Sonic 3 and Knuckles' character motivations. I didn't have access to Sonic comics as a kid, nor did I really want to have Sonic comics, when I played Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The idea you would have really needed a comic book that whole time to explain what you're looking at in a video game is probably part of how fandom disease spreads.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Wait are judging the new Sonic design off of literally just a silhouette?

That silhouette is enough to tell that he has musculature which will probably make him look like a hairy blue goblin.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

I think the people who gave us Sonic's human girlfriend and the werehog are maybe not the best judges of designs.

for supporting characters, maybe. For Sonic himself, eh

and clearly they *have* made quite substantial changes to the game design, whereas Detective Pikachu proves that you can just take character designs directly from a game, slap realistic fur on it, and people will eat it up

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
There is just something so unsettling about that Sonic pic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corrosion posted:

There's a video on YouTube by a guy named Satchbag that basically does what you're describing as a way of saying that the comics exist so people can understand Sonic 3 and Knuckles' character motivations. I didn't have access to Sonic comics as a kid, nor did I really want to have Sonic comics, when I played Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The idea you would have really needed a comic book that whole time to explain what you're looking at in a video game is probably part of how fandom disease spreads.

It's probably no coincidence that the best Sonic games were the ones that didn't really have much of a story beyond "Sonic runs to end of zone; Sonic fights boss; Sonic chases Robotnik to next zone". However, a lot of the Sonic fans seem like they've always been more invested than most in imagining this vast sprawling narrative tapestry behind the games. Obviously Sonic's transition to 3D was a mixed bag but I think his transition from plotless side-scrollers to games which tried to have actual stories was probably even more so.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Some of you are really heavily invested in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Just sayin’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can't imagine they won't at least ask James Gunn to direct this one.