Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monster Hunter World Iceborne in autumn 2019 for consoles and later for PC is so far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

I thought I knew a lot of video game characters, and then I played Smashy No Bathy Spirit Mode and it turns out I do not know a lot of video game characters. Especially if you're going to do bullshit like [Unnamed Secondary Character] from [Japanese Only Release].

I get what you mean but when you find a character that you do recognize it's pretty rad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

Realtalk why hasn't anyone made an updated first-person dungeon crawler game reminiscent of King's Field? Or maybe someone has and I've just missed it.

First-person melee combat is usually pretty lovely but after playing heavily modded Skyrim and managing to inject some challenge into it, I think it could work.

IDK I think fps melee sucks balls. Dark souls is strictly better than king's field.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Saint Freak posted:

I thought I knew a lot of video game characters, and then I played Smashy No Bathy Spirit Mode and it turns out I do not know a lot of video game characters. Especially if you're going to do bullshit like [Unnamed Secondary Character] from [Japanese Only Release].

I love it. World of Light is like a Nintendo theme-park.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

I think Ashen looks pretty good, way nicer aesthetically than most indie Souls clones. But I also think Dark Souls is very ugly looking to begin with.

Dark souls is like, intentionally a little rough and ugly, goes with the gritty gothic setting. And in medieval times most people were ugly, covered in dirt and smelling of poo poo.

I found it refreshing after so many cartoony world of warcraft style games, but it isn't always aesthetically pleasing. Like a horror game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry guys i've just gotten off the phone with Dave Nintendo and he said there's been a terrible mistake, the game wasn't supposed to be called smash at all, it's supposed to be smush. they shipped all extant games with a typo in the name. please refer to it by the correct appellation "smush" from now on.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

So Panzer Dragoon Eins and Zwei are supposedly getting a remaster.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Healbot posted:

owo whats this

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The originals still look great but sure ok

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1072119961861152769

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cowcaster posted:

sorry guys i've just gotten off the phone with Dave Nintendo and he said there's been a terrible mistake, the game wasn't supposed to be called smash at all, it's supposed to be smush. they shipped all extant games with a typo in the name. please refer to it by the correct appellation "smush" from now on.

Has he seen my Cooking Mama petition and what does he think?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Obligatory 'Fast and the furriest' joke.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the most insane thing is that sega made CG cutscenes and shorts that'll look better than this in loving 2008

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tag yourself I'm the C

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Hahaha, oh no.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1072131523267125248

Hey CDPR, have him go through a portal to Smash. He can replace Marth or something

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK I think fps melee sucks balls. Dark souls is strictly better than king's field.

Kings Field and Shadow Tower are better than every souls game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe Geralt can return back home with everything he learned from Soul Calibur and Monster Hunter to have fun combat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I got annoyed at someone on reddit saying the message of Celeste was "don't ignore bad feelings" and that it is "a message given to pre-schoolers" and really I just should never go on reddit.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

corn in the bible posted:

Kings Field and Shadow Tower are better than every souls game

Bold, I like King's Field and Shadow Tower more than most people but that's a claim even I couldn't make with a straight face.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Sonic with arm/leg muscles is going to gently caress me up way more than fuzzy Pikachu ever would.

Macaluso posted:

Hey CDPR, have him go through a portal to Smash. He can replace Marth or something

Would rather have a Monster Hunter character in Smash TBH, and that would at least make some sense as there have been a bunch of MH games on Nintendo in the last several years. Just make it some generic Hunter with a Great Sword or whatever.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I'd rather have another Sonic character than gerald

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

PantsBandit posted:

I got annoyed at someone on reddit saying the message of Celeste was "don't ignore bad feelings" and that it is "a message given to pre-schoolers" and really I just should never go on reddit.

Well, yes, no one should, ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

that's an oversimplification but i agree with the opinion stated elsewhere on here that Celeste's view on mental illness and recovery is facile

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Healbot posted:

I'll believe it when I see it, but yes please. :kiddo:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

that's an oversimplification but i agree with the opinion stated elsewhere on here that Celeste's view on mental illness and recovery is facile

I don't personally think it really touches on recovery very much (although I can see how one might read it that way). I just think it gives a positive message about managing mental illness instead of trying to deny it exists. It's not a new message, but it is one worth repeating.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of weirdo game opinions get amplified on reddit, which I suppose isn’t too different from here, but it’s all twisted in a totally alien way to me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That's a bad Celeste take but at the same time lukewarm bad takes from randos on the internet aren't really worth getting annoyed about, it's probably legit bad for your own mental health in the long run.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lets hang out posted:

The originals still look great but sure ok

Frame rate, mon frere

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Healbot posted:

how about Saga and Orta

hell, Orta would still look good as-is, just port that poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
CELESTE IS GOOD AS HELL

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Really Pants posted:

how about Saga and Orta

hell, Orta would still look good as-is, just port that poo poo

Its in 4k right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

CELESTE IS GOOD AS HELL

:yeah:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Healbot posted:

Whaat no way

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It will always be depressing that Sega apparently lost the code for Panzer Dragoon Saga, making a rerelease ever happening extremely unlikely

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of weirdo game opinions get amplified on reddit, which I suppose isn’t too different from here, but it’s all twisted in a totally alien way to me.

I think the biggest difference is here if someone gives a dumbass opinion on a game you'll probably see at least a couple people call them out on it. On reddit if you say something even the least bit negative in response to someone, you end up getting hammered with downvotes and forced out of the conversation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the thing that treated my mental health was pills which is probably not a very exciting message to make a video game about so I really don't have any sort of opinion on Celeste unless they get into like ephemera on medication types or something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the thing that treated my mental health was pills which is probably not a very exciting message to make a video game about so I really don't have any sort of opinion on Celeste unless they get into like ephemera on medication types or something.

While it doesn't address medicating specifically, I think the overall theme that mental health issues can be managed and that you shouldn't be ashamed of them addresses that. That is something that resonated a bit more with me because when Celeste came out I was just starting to medicate for my depression instead of trying to "power through it". Read: lie on the sofa when I got home and think about how much I hate my life until bed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to be specific it was doing a shitload of self-research on pills because you won't really get that much help from a primary care doctor other than "have some SSRIs I guess". Which works for some people but not a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

axelblaze posted:

It will always be depressing that Sega apparently lost the code for Panzer Dragoon Saga, making a rerelease ever happening extremely unlikely

No matter what, Sega would have to create the game from the ground up again which honestly is probably a way better idea at this point.