Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I played it at a RPTQ yesterday and i would beg to differ. It's good but it's not going to stay where it is in the meta for long I would guess.

You of all people should know better than this. One tournament isn’t a good measuring stick for what is good especially in modern.

Why didn’t you play dredge anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Looting doesn't trigger Creeping Chill though? Or is there some joke here that I missed.

They go in the same deck because Looting sets up the cards that trigger Creeping Chill.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

You of all people should know better than this. One tournament isn’t a good measuring stick for what is good especially in modern.

Why didn’t you play dredge anyway?

Because dredge is poo poo vs spirits lol.

I'm not just basing it of one Tournament. It's just the nature of the way modern works that decks pop up like Spirits and Humans before it and then the meta game shifts slightly and people stop playing them. Spirits' burn machup isn't good as well which means it's always ripe for metagame exploitation.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoutPatrol posted:

We tried doing the light trick thing and couldn't see poo poo.

It's something that interests me, but only in a pure academic sense. I'm planning on getting a box of UMA (is $240 a good price on sealed boxes?), but I think sitting on it for six months and seeing if jumps in value seems like a better option than opening it right now.

The value on some cards has hit the floor over the weekend, and it just seems crazy to me. I wanted to try out vexing devils in burn if I ever played modern again, but couldn't justify the ~$40 for a playset. They were down near $10 when I pulled the trigger on a set this weekend. I can't see the prices on them or most other stuff from UMA not going back up once the initial wave of cards gets bought up.

I'm not trying to be mtgfinance, but I'm also not about to wait while the prices on cards I want like that or arclight phoenix just go into the stratosphere. Anything you'd want from UMA is not going to be any cheaper than it is today, unless something happens to its play value later on.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Maelstrom pulses were $4 yesterday on tcg player. There’s no way they don’t settle at like $10-$14when this is all over.

No card is gonna lose 80% if it’s value because of a masters reprint.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

The American Dream posted:

Maelstrom pulses were $4 yesterday on tcg player. There’s no way they don’t settle at like $10-$14when this is all over.

No card is gonna lose 80% if it’s value because of a masters reprint.

I mean. It’s not really played much?
BG and Jund play maybe one of them total in their 75. Some lists run none.
Assassins Trophy is typically much better.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/twitch-chat-and-world-magic-cup-2018-12-10

this is good but idk why it needed an announcement

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Honestly I think it's so people lose their minds over it now, rather than as soon as the event actually happens.

It's absolutely needed because holy moly are people going to be extra toxic with a woman commentator being added.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Is this the first time Wizards has even acknowledged the World Magic Cup because lol if so

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

because twitch is a dumpster fire usually, and sub only and curation might turn it something normal people (as opposed to extremely online incels) would bother with?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Honestly I think it's so people lose their minds over it now, rather than as soon as the event actually happens.

It's absolutely needed because holy moly are people going to be extra toxic with a woman commentator being added.

There is a reason scg doesn’t do it anymore. The same handful of people talking in chat with a few thousand viewers doesn’t really work. For a lot of folks being able to participate in chat is part of the experience. Subbing to a channel that might stream 4 days a month is also not high in people’s list as scg can attend to.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

There is a reason scg doesn’t do it anymore. The same handful of people talking in chat with a few thousand viewers doesn’t really work. For a lot of folks being able to participate in chat is part of the experience. Subbing to a channel that might stream 4 days a month is also not high in people’s list as scg can attend to.

If your choice is between a somewhat dead chat that makes you some money or the one where KFC buckets are emoted every time a black person shows up, I'd think you always choose the former. Keeping the trash people out helps you brand if you expect normal people to start showing up. MtG seems to be trying to push into getting non-magic players interested again, which means you have to keep the toxic people quiet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I have to subscribe now if I want to spam, "Abolish the reserved list you loving cowards!" and eat a ten-minute ban in chat now?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

the people who view being able to participate in a twitch chat as "part of the experience" are pretty much 1:1 with the people spamming the racist/sexist/etc stuff that you're looking to eliminate

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

So I have to subscribe now if I want to spam, "Abolish the reserved list you loving cowards!" and eat a ten-minute ban in chat now?

I'd like to think that's not the kind of thing they are worried about filtering, but yeah pretty much.

Telling some nerd bigot, "banned for racism/sexism/homophobia, thanks for the fiver, moron" is a step in the right direction towards cleaning things up. Magic's not any worse than other nerd hobbies with the insular cishet white boy stuff, but it also isn't any better. If you're trying to make your hobby presentable to real world, you have to keep these kind of guys in the corner away from view. Most other major companies have done the math and realized that unemployable losers have way less money to spend then the people you're chasing off, so it's actually cool to see WotC do the same thing. It also says positive things about maybe booting some the worst people out of the other side of their business in D&D.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

the people who view being able to participate in a twitch chat as "part of the experience" are pretty much 1:1 with the people spamming the racist/sexist/etc stuff that you're looking to eliminate

And on a functional level, slower twitch chat may help out with the problem that it goes by way too fast right now. The most fun chats I've been in had 5-10 other people in there when we riffed on something. You actually saw what people were saying instead of just having stuff scroll past.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I mean that sounds great but that’s just not the reality.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

it's incredible that everyone is only now learning what lowtax figured out nearly two decades ago: charge people money to talk in order to weed out fuckheads

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

it's incredible that everyone is only now learning what lowtax figured out nearly two decades ago: charge people money to talk in order to weed out fuckheads

I think “how do I monitize my growing website” was more what he was thinking.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Welp, surprise! It led to a superior webforum.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lone Goat posted:

For reals. SA has the only comics forum I can stand reading, and it's 100% due to the $10 gate and moderation that keeps the bigots and the creepers from posting for long.

Adding this style of control to places where the standard web 2.0 froth has bubbled up seems like nothing but a positive move.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

I mean that sounds great but that’s just not the reality.

i have bad news for you about the content and quality of your twitch commenting

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

The front page has always been the revenue-generating part of the site. The forums are a cost center

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Magic twitch chats are pretty loving bad any time they aren't being modded heavily, and that's even with the commentators and players on screen being 80%+ white and male.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

resistentialism posted:

Magic twitch chats are pretty loving bad any time they aren't being modded heavily, and that's even with the commentators and players on screen being 80%+ white and male.

Remove the first and the sentence is just as true. Web 2.0 (i.e. strong user generated content) has kind of hosed up society as a whole. It gave a bunch of people who were disenfranchised a voice again, but it also gave a bunch of chuds a chance to feel they were important and have their needs catered to. The latter has outweighed the former by an order of magnitude IMO.

It looks like a bunch of major companies are in the process of putting the genie back in the bottle, and doing things like keeping chats for major brands under control is just a single part of that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

The front page has always been the revenue-generating part of the site. The forums are a cost center

What's a front page?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What's a front page?

:hmmyes:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
people read the front page?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

:golfclap:

You did good.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol if you arent permabanned from the wotc twitch channel for some innocuous comment

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

lol if you arent permabanned from the wotc twitch channel for some innocuous comment

I once got perma’d by efro for making a concede equity joke while he was hanging out in the chat. It was removed by another mod when they saw it. I have since tried to bait out another ban by him but he doesn’t bite anymore. :saddowns:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Played modern on modo for the first time, heh. Put together a cheap mono white humans deck and rolled over some dude trying to win with 0 cost artifacts that cantrip.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

Played modern on modo for the first time, heh. Put together a cheap mono white humans deck and rolled over some dude trying to win with 0 cost artifacts that cantrip.

That deck is called “worst version of storm”

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The deck is called Cheerios, after the cereal, and it attempts to win via Puresteel Paladin generating infinite mana with Paradise Mantle and something else.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tubgoat posted:

The deck is called Cheerios, after the cereal, and it attempts to win via Puresteel Paladin generating infinite mana with Paradise Mantle and something else.

3-1 right now, beat hardened scales affinity and tron, lost to phoenix.

Edit: capped off my first mtgo league 4-1 beating jund

I trolled that cheerios deck by playing thalia out on t2 on the play.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 10, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ha, fuckin' harsh.

Would you have rather played against classic Affinity or the Hardened Scales variant, if your goal was as effortless a win as possible?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tubgoat posted:

Ha, fuckin' harsh.

Would you have rather played against classic Affinity or the Hardened Scales variant, if your goal was as effortless a win as possible?

I'm pretty sure hardened scales is easier to troll with stony silence.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You're going to post a decklist, right?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Star Man posted:

You're going to post a decklist, right?

This was like $43 so it seemed like a reasonable thing to try modern with.

Edit: Text decklist was wrong

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That looks fun as heck! I tried mono white Sisters and got roflstomped by a Mardu variant employing some loop to gain absurd amounts of life.