Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lote posted:

Tesla +2% in premarket. Life is parody now. I have seen the smocking gun and he is us.

Bro you have to stick to something you're good at, ie, gambling at the poker table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Residency Evil posted:

Bro you have to stick to something you're good at, ie, gambling at the poker table.

But gambling is gambling right?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

greasyhands posted:

edit: buying some CHK at 2.68, i just cant quit this piece of poo poo. Also adding some TGE, BPL, KHC and BEP today

holy poo poo, this was a bad move

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

greasyhands posted:

Better hope another CEO under investigation dies in a car crash

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
musk is literally using his gently caress you money as it is intended to be used :chanpop:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

greasyhands posted:

Still think it's a good stock if you are in it longterm. Right now it is just trending with overall market. They recently got a new land near mexico. So their output will increase. Iran sanctions are still NOT on. They got waivers so once the waivers expire in 5-6 months, oil will skyrocket as long as OPEC reduces their supply as they said.

Also DJI and SPX both broke key support levels last week/today. I really don't see how some of these investment banks are predicting the bull market to continue such as Bank of America Merill Lynch. The correction is officially as bad as the January 13% but with trade war going on and impending rate hikes.

Anyway I lost a few thousand on some poo poo stocks I should have sold but my short etfs and gold stocks are going CRAZY.

Good luck to all trading this week and in their long term portfolio. Maybe Trump will tweet something? lol

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ulio posted:

...as long as OPEC reduces their supply as they said...
lol. OPEC is basically a combo of propaganda and an introspective advisory board at this point. The member nations basically ignore whatever OPEC says and only “follow” OPEC’s guidance if it happens to align with what they were going to do anyways.

It’s almost always the case that cutting supply is economically Bad for the OPEC countries. There’s too much global supply, and cuts just mean market share decreases.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Since I hate money, time to get on the TSLA put train as it’s hitting the top of its range the last few months.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Woodchip posted:

Since I hate money, time to get on the TSLA put train as it’s hitting the top of its range the last few months.

Why did Crazy Train just start playing? Where’s that coming from?

Edit: One of the guys that I follow on twitter thinks this is a liquidity crunch driven downswing so I added some to my Tesla short.

Lote fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 10, 2018

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
woof, timing was a bit off, it's all going green today. Should've waited for the test of 365.

e: welp, going to gap and run one side or the other on that close, gut says up

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 11, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
If China arrested Melinda Gates while she was traveling through Singapore, imagine how that would play. What I'm trying to say is, gentlemen, I'm not optimistic about these trade talks.

Chiming in also to say that I, too, find TSLA's movements hilarious.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Serious about Tesla.

So $TLSA released some news today about an asset backed bond offering for $800 mil today using leases for the Model S/X. They're trying to rate it as high grade but I don't really see how they get a decent price / yield on it. It's a little bit more obvious now about their plan for going into the quarter and why they've been classifying all their warranty problems as "goodwill". It seems like they're trying to cover for the fact that the car's residual value sucks. People are just starting to realize this with all the insurance companies leading the way by jacking up the rates for Model S/X/3s. TSLA sells the ABS to some bank/bondholder, the borrowers default because the car's value has tanked, and the bondholder is on the hook instead of TSLA. Kinda genius that TSLA plays a hit from 2008. :lol:

Anyway, the corporate bond market has shat itself. There's like no junk bond issuance right now, so TSLA can't raise money that way. They're prevented from raising money through stock issuance for some unknown reason. Or maybe, they need to keep the stock price high so they have a high enough stock price come Feb/Mar 2019? I don't know. Whatever the case, I'm not sure that TSLA sells out this bond issuance because you would think that the banks would wise up to selling a bunch of lemons, but maybe that's the point.

Edit:
So if I'm reading this right, they're saying that its going to be 100 bps over EDSF for 1.49 yr, which is something that yields ~1%? That can't be right.

Lote fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 11, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also, random question, but if a bank becomes insolvent and they lent you the margin, does that become an insta margin call?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Shorting the bank with the money then lent me.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
My buddy helped unwind Lehman Brothers and apparently in the confusion, they let a commodity contract expire so they took delivery of yellowcake uranium :lol:

Also, there’s some chatter that $DB is gonna go bankrupt. Overlaying it on a chart with Lehman looks almost exactly like 2008 a day or two before it went bankrupt.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Lote posted:

My buddy helped unwind Lehman Brothers and apparently in the confusion, they let a commodity contract expire so they took delivery of yellowcake uranium :lol:

Also, there’s some chatter that $DB is gonna go bankrupt. Overlaying it on a chart with Lehman looks almost exactly like 2008 a day or two before it went bankrupt.

There was some speculation this summer that they went on the FDIC problem bank list. So maybe.

https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2018/07/june-2018-unofficial-problem-bank-list.html?m=1

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
You know my doom and gloom posts, but I think it’s worth remembering that even when the yield curve inverted during the last two business cycles, it took quite some time for the actual recession/sell off to happen. And if we have all the algos shorting on that signal, it’s arguably priced in.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
The Tesla ABS bond thing is fairly standard. They're securitizing the lease payments - so giving up future lease payments and yield for money now.

When auto leases are originated, Tesla funds them using borrowing via a warehouse line. Once the warehouse line is full, the leases are packaged and sold into the asset backed market via one of these deals. Proceeds from the ABS deal are then used to pay down the warehouse line and the cycle repeats. This is not really Tesla taking on new money to fund future operations.

The ABS market operates solely on collateral value and so no inferences can be made from this financing about Tesla's access to the unsecured debt or equity markets. At best, it tells us that Tesla's prior ABS deal is living up to expectations as it pertains to residual values and customers not defaulting on their leases. Typically these things are well over-collateralized to buffer for some losses taking place.

But yea, signs are pointing to the residual values dropping fast now and some sucker pension funds are gonna be on the hook.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

fougera posted:

You know my doom and gloom posts, but I think it’s worth remembering that even when the yield curve inverted during the last two business cycles, it took quite some time for the actual recession/sell off to happen. And if we have all the algos shorting on that signal, it’s arguably priced in.

Last business cycle we didn't have Trump to prop up the market. So twitter basically controls the market. Long $TWTR

Trump with his ambiguous "talks are great, announcements soon". The annoucement will probably be a non announcement or something the market already knows has priced in.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

LLCoolJD posted:

If China arrested Melinda Gates while she was traveling through Singapore, imagine how that would play. What I'm trying to say is, gentlemen, I'm not optimistic about these trade talks.

Chiming in also to say that I, too, find TSLA's movements hilarious.

quote:

"A former Canadian diplomat has been detained in China, two sources said on Tuesday, and his current employer, the International Crisis Group, said it was seeking his prompt and safe release.

Michael Kovrig's detention comes after police in Canada arrested the chief financial officer of China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd on Dec. 1 at the request of U.S. authorities, a move that infuriated Beijing.

It was not immediately clear if the cases were related, but the arrest of Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver has stoked fears of reprisals against the foreign business community in China.

Kovrig, a Mandarin speaker, has been working as a full-time expert for the International Crisis Group since February 2017.

From 2003 to 2016, he worked as a diplomat with stints in Beijing and Hong Kong, among others, according to his profile on LinkedIn.

State sanctioned blackmail, trade wars are easy to win

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Risky Bisquick posted:

State sanctioned blackmail, trade wars are easy to win

:toot: I am stunned that China has retaliated. And I am sure that Trump's morning tweet is 100% accurate.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Ulio posted:

Last business cycle we didn't have Trump to prop up the market. So twitter basically controls the market. Long $TWTR

Trump with his ambiguous "talks are great, announcements soon". The annoucement will probably be a non announcement or something the market already knows has priced in.

I’d argue trump isn’t really propping up the market anymore. More or less people have removed the trump bump since election, to the degree it was promised than actual results

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Indexes back negative. Buckle up.

This appears to be credit driven. $DB may have a liquidity crisis on their hands if their credit default swaps continue spiking. Their bonds apparently also shat themselves. Are they the Bear Stearns or are they the Lehman of 2018/2019?

https://twitter.com/stockboardasset/status/1072535319453548546

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
So is there a reason not to go nuts with DVMY if Dell is buying back at 120 a share and its at 104 now? Trying to see what im missing here

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Any thoughts on GE? Seems a case of the whole being worth less than the parts.

Similarly, SYF. I get that losing Walmart is a big deal, but the loss of value over months seems excessive?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
They’ve got like 100b in debt and their bonds are trading at junk levels. They may get caught in a liquidity crunch.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chaosfirev posted:

So is there a reason not to go nuts with DVMY if Dell is buying back at 120 a share and its at 104 now? Trying to see what im missing here
Wondering about this also, but I also jumped on it today. Sold two of my lame duck weed stocks which are 35% down and don't look like they are going anywhere. Holding onto my ACB for sure though. Almost bought Canopy with the money too until I saw the Dell deal.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

Wondering about this also, but I also jumped on it today. Sold two of my lame duck weed stocks which are 35% down and don't look like they are going anywhere. Holding onto my ACB for sure though. Almost bought Canopy with the money too until I saw the Dell deal.

I ended up buying 20 contracts yesterday because even if i dont understand the full scope of this risking 100 for this massive potential upside seems alright.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

fougera posted:

I’d argue trump isn’t really propping up the market anymore. More or less people have removed the trump bump since election, to the degree it was promised than actual results

Trump's tweets about deals and trade talks do have a direct effect.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

morothar posted:

Any thoughts on GE? Seems a case of the whole being worth less than the parts.

Similarly, SYF. I get that losing Walmart is a big deal, but the loss of value over months seems excessive?

GE has at least 1-2 more accounting “corrections” in its future. Also, selling off parts that make money isn’t that great of a long term business plan.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Fuckin UXIN poo poo! Was gonna buy that around 3 and just sat starting at it. The Chinese stuff is driving me nuts

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
I don't know that the DVMT trade is a no brainer...

$120 offer price in cash for the stock but the total cash available for the deal is $14B and we're currently trading at a 21B mkt cap @ ~$105 - so about 2/3rds of the current shares are going to get cash and the rest are going to get Dell stock somewhere between about 1.5-1.8 Dell Class C shares per share of DVMT. How much is Dell stock worth? Who knows - but the market is not currently pricing 1.5-1.8 shares being worth $120.

The options market is certainly not pricing it like $120 is any where close to certain - Jan 105 strike calls are $1.30.

EDIT: Some math

Shares Outstanding: 199,360,000
Mkt Cap @ $120: 23,923,200,000
Shared Converted @ 120: 58.52%
Shares to get Dell stock: 41.48%
Avg Cash per share: 70.22
DVMT current price: 105
Residual value: 34.78
Mkt Value of stock to receive: 83.84

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 12, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
$GE having a bad day when everyone’s up and $DB in talks of a forced merger and that’s a good thing

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

hostile apostle posted:

I don't know that the DVMT trade is a no brainer...

$120 offer price in cash for the stock but the total cash available for the deal is $14B and we're currently trading at a 21B mkt cap @ ~$105 - so about 2/3rds of the current shares are going to get cash and the rest are going to get Dell stock somewhere between about 1.5-1.8 Dell Class C shares per share of DVMT. How much is Dell stock worth? Who knows - but the market is not currently pricing 1.5-1.8 shares being worth $120.

The options market is certainly not pricing it like $120 is any where close to certain - Jan 105 strike calls are $1.30.

EDIT: Some math

Shares Outstanding: 199,360,000
Mkt Cap @ $120: 23,923,200,000
Shared Converted @ 120: 58.52%
Shares to get Dell stock: 41.48%
Avg Cash per share: 70.22
DVMT current price: 105
Residual value: 34.78
Mkt Value of stock to receive: 83.84

Okay that makes more sense, oh well if i pissed away 100 so be it

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

So will my calls that expire after the 28th be converted to Dell stock?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Chaosfirev posted:

So will my calls that expire after the 28th be converted to Dell stock?

No idea what happens to the calls on DVMT

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Could someone explain to me how $DB and Commerbank merging to form a company with $38B in revenue and $730B in debt not be a terrible idea?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I picked the wrong day to try and add a bank account to RH, aint poo poo happening there today
https://twitter.com/AskRobinhood/status/1072881754548006912
https://twitter.com/AskRobinhood/status/1072937415092781056
https://twitter.com/AskRobinhood/status/1072947238450556928
https://twitter.com/AskRobinhood/status/1072960177035390977

lol this guy
https://twitter.com/AntonTheDev/status/1072993619777388544

next time someone asks about robinhood post this pic:

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 13, 2018

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Will we get bans for discussing GE now when it falls into penny stock territory later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Foma posted:

Will we get bans for discussing GE now when it falls into penny stock territory later?

Its not looking good. They’re getting out of credit markets. Can’t issue a bond. They’re almost exclusively using bank lending so if banking in general takes a dump or interest rates go up, they’re hosed.