Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Spacedad posted:

So I remembered I have a family member who is a marine veteran and so I can buy laptops without having to pay sales tax, and at whatever discount military people get.

While you can occasionally get decent deals on tech at the MCX, anything they run there is generally outdone by sales going on at normal retailers, even when accounting for sales tax.

For example, the Helios 300 they have there for $1400 is $1300 at NewEgg (where you also won't pay sales tax in most cases).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spacedad posted:

So I remembered I have a family member who is a marine veteran and so I can buy laptops without having to pay sales tax, and at whatever discount military people get.

There's likely going to be more selections at the base when I check there later today, but here's the listing for the site right now: https://www.shopmyexchange.com/browse/electronics/computers/laptops/_/N-103647?Nrpp=36

Holler if you think anything stands out as a good deal, especially without having to pay sales tax.

I never found the PX a good place to buy poo poo...but Apple recently started a 10% Military discount

https://www.apple.com/us_epp_805199/shop

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Yeah....The general impression I get so far is - if I want TVs or Apple products, PX is all right. But for laptops and hardware, with rare exception - generally not.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Any outlooks on the Intel/AMD Vega I7-8705g support going forward? Haven't seen it pop up much. Even HP seems to have dropped it for a 1050ti in their 15 inch Spectre.

It hits a really nice sweet spot but I'm slightly worried that its going to be a weird one-off and driver support is going to dry up immediately.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does Dell refresh the XPS line on a schedule, like February-ish every year? I can wait that long for either new models or Lenovo to unbotch their sleep issues.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Does Dell refresh the XPS line on a schedule, like February-ish every year? I can wait that long for either new models or Lenovo to unbotch their sleep issues.

If they're on a schedule it's Intel's. It doesn't look like 9th-gen mobile processors have been officially announced yet so it may be a few months at least

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Are there any pressure-sensitive pens that work with the X1 Carbon's display? Something similar to the one in the Yoga models.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Clark Nova posted:

If they're on a schedule it's Intel's. It doesn't look like 9th-gen mobile processors have been officially announced yet so it may be a few months at least

Ah yeah that makes sense

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Will a 17" laptop always have better cooling than a 15" laptop with the exaxt same components? Looking at MSI Raider with the GTX 1070.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Deciding between the Lenovo Y7000 and the HP Omen 15. Both have the i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, and a 6GB 1060.

Leaning towards the Y7000 because it is far less 'gamery' and the Costco warranty, but there aren't too many reviews of it. Any reason to pick one over the other?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Will a 17" laptop always have better cooling than a 15" laptop with the exaxt same components? Looking at MSI Raider with the GTX 1070.

Certainly not always because laptop vendors have been known to do really stupid things, but all else being equal more space does tend to mean more heat dissipation capability. The only way to know for sure is to look for teardown photos or service manuals. As a general rule size matters with cooling systems.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wolrah posted:

Certainly not always because laptop vendors have been known to do really stupid things, but all else being equal more space does tend to mean more heat dissipation capability. The only way to know for sure is to look for teardown photos or service manuals. As a general rule size matters with cooling systems.

This is a good answer

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Hello thread, I'm looking for a bit of advice, looking for a portable laptop with 32GB+ of RAM.

Things I've looked at so far are the Dell XPS 15 (is the 4k screen worth the extra money? I wouldn't use the touchscreen), Razer Blade 15, I think it comes with 16GB but is upgradeable? And also the MSI GS65 Stealth Thin.

The primary function is for work, but also some light gaming when I'm away from home.

Which of those options would be the best? Or is there anything else out there that would be suitable?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bad Parenting posted:

Hello thread, I'm looking for a bit of advice, looking for a portable laptop with 32GB+ of RAM.

Things I've looked at so far are the Dell XPS 15 (is the 4k screen worth the extra money? I wouldn't use the touchscreen), Razer Blade 15, I think it comes with 16GB but is upgradeable? And also the MSI GS65 Stealth Thin.

The primary function is for work, but also some light gaming when I'm away from home.

Which of those options would be the best? Or is there anything else out there that would be suitable?
You have the workstation options from Lenovo and Dell as well.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
4k screens are great for productivity: better colors, sharper picture, slightly more usable real estate depending on your eyesight/display scaling. Downsides are that they suck up more battery and aren't really great for gaming, particularly on a laptop where you don't have the GPU power to run at native resolution so you're usually futzing around getting upscaled 1080p to work correctly (particularly when you don't want your windows getting rearranged thanks to fullscreen exclusive mode). Up to you to decide if it's worth the premium, you'll know your workloads best.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the battery tradeoff is worth it. Get the 4k or whatever equivalent.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the battery tradeoff is worth it. Get the 4k or whatever equivalent.

If your workflow is such that you never need more than 4hrs of battery, I agree. If you actually need to worry about having a system that can run for 5+ hours at a go, 4k is still nice, but having a system that runs at all is better than a pretty one that doesn't.

But, yeah, if you're like most people with work laptops where it spends 99.99% of its time plugged in, 4k is real nice.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bad Parenting posted:

Not enough info. What do you actually need the 32GB+ for? What's the most common workflow for the machine?

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Greetings, people. I'm looking to get my wife a laptop for Christmas and would like some recommendations. We don't need anything too powerful but I'd like for her to be able to play some things like Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas and similar games. A super-huge screen also isn't necessary, as well as anything above 60hz and 1080 resolution. I was looking around on lenovo's website with the B&N Gold discounts, but I'm not sure on some of the graphics cards options. I don't know if the intel integrated graphics are good enough, or even the option for the GeForce MX150. I really don't want to have to spend big bucks to get a "gaming" laptop. I'd like to stay around $700ish or less if possible, but might stretch into $800 if there's something with good value. Any suggestions are welcome, and thank you!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The integrated graphics is unacceptable for nearly any game right now. The MX150 is a step up and if she's willing to play games at 1280x720 then it will work ok.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-Benchmark-and-Specs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The integrated graphics is unacceptable for nearly any game right now. The MX150 is a step up and if she's willing to play games at 1280x720 then it will work ok.

1280x720 will look a bit poor upscaled to 1080p, though. A 1050 is really the minimum to be playing stuff that's not indy/2D.

To that end, if she's willing to deal with a bit of a heavier laptop, the Dell G3 has been going on sale regularly of late for under $700-800 (depending on model). I'd stay away from any of the recent MSI sales with screens advertising "45% NTSC," as their color quality is lacking.

Another avenue would be looking at used XPS 15's--I managed to pick up one of last year's models in great condition for $625. Sure, the brand new ones might be a tad faster and have an extra 30 min of battery life, but whatever.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Dang, thanks for the information. I was worried that the integrated graphics wouldn't be good enough. How does this price look for a Dell G3? $689.99 for https://www.costco.com/Dell-G3-15-G...100405182.html, I like that if I get something from Costco they have a good warranty and product replacement plan. If anyone else has any suggestions for something along that line, please speak up.

*edit* ok that Costco link isn't working. It's the Dell G3 15 Gaming Laptop with GeForce GTX 1050. The item # is 1233592 if you want to search for it. How upgradable is the HDD on that if I want to get an SSD?

Scope fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 10, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a fine laptop as long as you know you're getting a bad display

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I effectively bought my first QHD+/4k screen by 'accident' (was forced into it to get other features i wanted) and i won't ever go back. zero regrets other than not switching any sooner. imho you will never regret having higher resolution

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Statutory Ape posted:

I effectively bought my first QHD+/4k screen by 'accident' (was forced into it to get other features i wanted) and i won't ever go back. zero regrets other than not switching any sooner. imho you will never regret having higher resolution
I had the same sequence but the opposite conclusion. I hate 4k on a laptop screen. If you try to run games at 4k they'll suck, and if you have the hardware upscale from 1080p then any other windows you left open will (depending on the game) have a moderate chance of being resized into the top left quarter of the screen rather than wherever you wanted them to be. Also either things that don't scale for themselves are too small *or* you end up setting some global scaling value at which point all the extra resolution isn't really giving you any extra space so why bother imho.

But if you really value not seeing pixel-jaggies and they genuinely bother you at 1080p then you might like 4k I guess.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

isndl posted:

4k screens are great for productivity: better colors, sharper picture, slightly more usable real estate depending on your eyesight/display scaling. Downsides are that they suck up more battery and aren't really great for gaming, particularly on a laptop where you don't have the GPU power to run at native resolution so you're usually futzing around getting upscaled 1080p to work correctly (particularly when you don't want your windows getting rearranged thanks to fullscreen exclusive mode). Up to you to decide if it's worth the premium, you'll know your workloads best.

They also tend to come in the glossy screen finish some people find annoying.

Also the 4K model tends to be slightly heavier than the 1080 versions.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

etalian posted:

Also the 4K model tends to be slightly heavier than the 1080 versions.

This is usually from the extra hardware of making it a touch screen. Non-touch 4k's don't weigh any more than their 1080p counterparts.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

roomforthetuna posted:

I had the same sequence but the opposite conclusion. I hate 4k on a laptop screen. If you try to run games at 4k they'll suck, and if you have the hardware upscale from 1080p then any other windows you left open will (depending on the game) have a moderate chance of being resized into the top left quarter of the screen rather than wherever you wanted them to be. Also either things that don't scale for themselves are too small *or* you end up setting some global scaling value at which point all the extra resolution isn't really giving you any extra space so why bother imho.

But if you really value not seeing pixel-jaggies and they genuinely bother you at 1080p then you might like 4k I guess.

Depending on the game, you can run it in borderless window and set it to display at 2x scale to avoid the background windows getting rearranged. This usually involves messing with application specific settings and takes a bit of effort, though. Newer game engines can handle upscaling for 4k natively, Overwatch will do it by default and UE4 engine games can do it (though sometimes you have to set it via config file if the devs don't expose the setting in-game). All this is definitely a lot more work than the simplicity of 'install game, hit play' though.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Not enough info. What do you actually need the 32GB+ for? What's the most common workflow for the machine?

The reason for wanting the RAM is running a bunch of virtual machines, my work is testing and integration of a whole load of applications so I need to have lots of stuff running at once.

Thanks for the opinions on the 1080p/4k screens all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-Benchmark-and-Specs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html

Integrated graphics won't do battlefield 5 very well, but they'll handle any indie game and/or Nintendo switch port, which is a heck of a lot.

A real gpu is nice but you can do a hell of a lot of budget gaming on integrated graphics, especially if you many shop in the $15 and under bins on steam sales.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Integrated graphics are pretty decent nowadays. Right now I'm playing Skyrim, Starcraft 2, and a bunch of other older games on my 8250u. I have to lower some settings if I want a smooth 60fps but it's not some unworkable thing. Intel even has a website to help you see if your iGPU is good enough to run games and some recommended settings. https://gameplay.intel.com/

That being said an MX150 is a nice upgrade and definitely makes things easier.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I just don't really like anything bigger than QHD on laptops, honestly. I feel like the trade-off for power consumption just isn't really worth it, for me, and they're usually touchscreens. I feel like this is a weird opinion, but I honestly just plain do not like touchscreen laptops, they bug me and don't fit into my workflow at all.

Bad Parenting posted:

I actually had a similar need case to yours (work laptop, need 32 gigs ram for VMs, maybe some light gaming while I travel) and I just picked up a t480 and bought aftermarket RAM sticks. The MX150 is...okay as a card. It's not nearly as effective as a 1050, but unless you want to play things like the new Tomb Raider or AC game, it'll generally work fine for any indie stuff. Even those, it technically can play; it'll just do a pretty terrible job of it. It depends on what games you're actually playing. In my experience, I'm going to end up sitting down and chilling out with some indie thing or X-Com nine times out of ten, so it worked.

I don't know that I'd necessarily recommend you doing the same, though, especially if you can get a good deal on an XPS 15 or a laptop with a 1050. Still, it's an option to consider.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I have a touchscreen laptop (T470s) and still hate touching it thanks to years of "STAY AWAY FROM MY SCREEN!" neurosis.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

I have a touchscreen laptop (T470s) and still hate touching it thanks to years of "STAY AWAY FROM MY SCREEN!" neurosis.

I have a Pixel with touch screen and I almost never actually touch it. Reaching out to poke at the screen is almost always slower than just using the mouse/keyboard my hands are already on.

It makes a lot more sense for tablet / 2-in-1 deals where touch is intended as a primary input method. For normal laptops I've always found it to be basically pointless.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
When editing large docs, I honestly find it easier to just touch the screen where I want the cursor to go/edit to be made vs navigating it there via the mouse. Granted, we're talking about a microsecond's worth of a difference, it just feels less annoying and much snappier when dealing with minor edits within large walls of text.

Fwiw I use a MacBook at work and don't really miss the touch screen during my day to day workflow, but I just can't imagine plopping more than $500 on a device that doesn't come with what is now a standard feature. People who don't like them can always disable the touch functionality, right?

And yeah gorilla glass owns

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I never touch my screen but I do love the gorilla glass :swoon:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

I never touch my screen but I do love the gorilla glass :swoon:
My previous laptop had a glass touchscreen and my god the reflections were terrible. I recently got a new laptop and I went back to a normal matte screen and it's 1000 times better. You also don't really need the protection of gorilla glass on the screen of a laptop, either, so there's really no reason for it unless you really really want a touchscreen.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

mystes posted:

My previous laptop had a glass touchscreen and my god the reflections were terrible. I recently got a new laptop and I went back to a normal matte screen and it's 1000 times better. You also don't really need the protection of gorilla glass on the screen of a laptop, either, so there's really no reason for it unless you really really want a touchscreen.

i have a latitude 7490 and the xps 13 with the QHD+/Touch and frankly i prefer the screen on the xps, though I like having the mouse buttons on the latitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Obviously lots of people like touch screens seeing as how many laptops come with them, I just personally found that in for example an office with fluorescent lights I constantly had to tilt the screen to move the reflections around to be able to read stuff.