Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blaze Dragon posted:

The toys also seem identical to Kyoryuger.

no samba music
red doesn't need anyone to make the main mecha

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I for one cannot wait for the western adaptation: Power Rangers Dino Super Duper Charge

power rangers dino legos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

red doesn't need anyone to make the main mecha
Hrm. Maybe this is on purpose? Then the new collectibles are not only cheap and easy to produce, but also they can sell the red zord solo if they want to.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Still trucking along with my podcast. Ultraman Nexus is very XCOM at the beginning, when Ultraman is barely showing up yet. And me and my brother both loved the Xtreme upgrade arc, even if we aren't super happy with the costume.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Darth TNT posted:

Is Decade (the rider) popular in Japan? Seems like all the western fans I talk to were really looking forward to him showing up.
In addition Tsukasa's actor may be the rider who has so far reprised his role the most. I'd assume he at least likes the role.

In my head, Tsukasa becomes the new hero of the show as Sougo slowly becomes Oma Zi-Oh.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeaaah, the more I hear about the new Sentai the less enthusiastic I am for it. Dragons would've been cooler. There's different kinds they could'a used! Western, eastern, wyverns, Quetzalcoatl, lindwyrm, hydras, Kirin I guess since a lot of things seem to insist on that being dragon-adjacent. Not as much variety as dinosaurs but at least it would've been *new*.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Was Decade not a shorter than normal Rider show? I'm watching OOO (though really slowly right now) alongside Zi-O and I'm thinking if Decade is going to be more than a small cameo then I might check it out. I'm already aware of its less than stellar reputation though. From how I understand it, the actor is super enthusiastic about Rider (I mean, it was said as much in the last page) and I usually find that kind of thing fun to watch.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
New Sentai between imitating kyoryuger and having the main Mecha just being red's mech is singalling hard out of the gate that this show for six year olds that I take time out of my day to watch is not going to be about a team. It will be about whoever is red.

At this point I'm probably going to just pass unless people are losing their absolute poo poo about how great it is after 12 episodes have aired.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sentai's just not for me, i think.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sentai's just not for me, i think.

I've enjoyed quite a few. I didn't get it until gokaiger
Gokaiger is basically about how there's all these teams, each united by something different, each fighting it's own way together. And you could feel it, that these were teams who knew each other as friends and comrades.
Aside, Shinkenger and Go-Buster are good if you like Kamen Rider, I think, as they have the most similar blend of charming cast and drama.

But after toqger, Sentai has just been less fun or interesting for whatever reason.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CrashScreen posted:

Was Decade not a shorter than normal Rider show? I'm watching OOO (though really slowly right now) alongside Zi-O and I'm thinking if Decade is going to be more than a small cameo then I might check it out. I'm already aware of its less than stellar reputation though. From how I understand it, the actor is super enthusiastic about Rider (I mean, it was said as much in the last page) and I usually find that kind of thing fun to watch.

Yeah, Decade is only 31 episodes long + 2 movies, both of which are canon though the first is...heavily unclear on when the hell it is meant to happen.

Also, while people will point out Decade is bad (and it is, don't get me wrong), don't let that stop you. It's not the kind of bad that'd make you leave a show. It's utterly stupid and has no story, but it's constantly carried by charismatic actors and it clearly has a lot of heart even if the execution isn't as good as it could be. It's an entertaining series and I don't regret watching it (like I regret, say, Ghost), but keep your expectations low and just laugh at the memes. Because it generated its fair share of those.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, Decade is only 31 episodes long + 2 movies, both of which are canon though the first is...heavily unclear on when the hell it is meant to happen.

Also, while people will point out Decade is bad (and it is, don't get me wrong), don't let that stop you. It's not the kind of bad that'd make you leave a show. It's utterly stupid and has no story, but it's constantly carried by charismatic actors and it clearly has a lot of heart even if the execution isn't as good as it could be. It's an entertaining series and I don't regret watching it (like I regret, say, Ghost), but keep your expectations low and just laugh at the memes. Because it generated its fair share of those.

I agree with this post. I mostly disliked Decade because it was way too easy to imagine the much better show it consistently failed to be, but it had a lot of entertaining and spectacular moments. I don't regret watching it, though I have to wonder if I'd actually recommend it now that Neo-Heisei has provided us with so many shows that are actually good.

I still think All Riders VS Dai-Shocker, as imperfect as it was, would have been a much better ending than what we got. My theory is that it was meant to be all along, except the merchandising logistics didn't work out so they recycled some of its plot beats for Movie War 2010.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
carried by charismatic actors and also the guy who played Amazon

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was kind of hoping Tsukasa would be a bigger deal, that he might be a constant threat, but it kinda seems like he's just going to be around for this one arc, after revealing he's played the Time Jackers and was planning to give Sougo the Decade Ride Watch all along.

But that doesn't mean I think the episode was bad. It's nice that they addressed why Geiz has the Ghost and Drive watches, how Geiz mistook Tsukasa for Agito, and we got some Hibiki action which is fantastic since Decade has transformed into Hibiki a grand total of once, and that was in the first episode of his series.

The preview makes it very confusing what decades role is going to be. Seems like the decade ride watch is the mid-season upgrade. But who is currently around who necessitates it a mid-season upgrade?

Also adding: while the story for decade is very confusing and not very good. I found the series to be very entertaining. It seemed to get what fanservice means better than zi-o so far at least

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Decade's sticking around for longer than the two episode arc (I think it's actually 9 episodes or so), and Episode 15 will answer the question of "Why would there be a need for a new upgrade?"

Well I mean aside from "money"

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

https://twitter.com/HenshinHistory/status/1071920475293519877

We definitely didn't plan for Episode 50 to be covering the utter complete nonsense that is Operation: Flying Squirrel, but I'm glad it worked out that way.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This definitely feels way too early for a mid-season upgrade, but I guess it is in line with modern shows. I think we need a new name for whatever this is though because it feels like more of a Boost Damashi / Level X Double Action Gamer / RabbitTank Sparking than a mid-season.

But the Rider Forms it allows him to access are what I consider actual mid-season upgrades like Grateful Damashii and Build's Hazard Forms, right? Riders seem to have three upgrade stages these days so I don't know what you'd call the one before the mid-season upgrade.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Second cour upgrade?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Decade's sticking around for longer than the two episode arc (I think it's actually 9 episodes or so), and Episode 15 will answer the question of "Why would there be a need for a new upgrade?"

Well I mean aside from "money"

Nice. I probably will be dissappointed, but I want to see Decade Complete face off against Zi-o. :(

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This definitely feels way too early for a mid-season upgrade, but I guess it is in line with modern shows. I think we need a new name for whatever this is though because it feels like more of a Boost Damashi / Level X Double Action Gamer / RabbitTank Sparking than a mid-season.

But the Rider Forms it allows him to access are what I consider actual mid-season upgrades like Grateful Damashii and Build's Hazard Forms, right? Riders seem to have three upgrade stages these days so I don't know what you'd call the one before the mid-season upgrade.

1/3 season upgrade?

Decade was the last rider to not have multiple upgrades. :)

Following our discussions of belts I took to youtube and reviewed some parts of Wizard, which reminded me once again why Wizard is such a let down. They had all the ingredients for something great but than instead of making a pie they make a puzzle.
Still awesome fights though with great magic usage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Not quite. Beyond Grateful, Decade Armour gives Sougo early transformations, such as Build Sparkling rather than Hazard and Ex-Aid Double Gamer XX. Using Grateful seems to be due to suit problems: Decade Armour's power up forms are simply a slightly changed Decade Armour chest and helmet on top of the original power up suit, which wouldn't work with Ghost Toucon Boost's parka.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PMush Perfect posted:

Second cour upgrade?

Q4 upgrade.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Base form
Upgrade form
Super form
Final form

Seems p consistent in the last years imo, the middle 2 just have arbitrary names and power scaling at times.
Magnet states would be a super form, gamer l99 is one as well. R/T sparkling is an upgrade form, hazard forms are super forms, etc.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
As long as it has consistency on what constitutes "upgrade" across the series it sounds great. Seeing as it's kinda changed across the timespan of Zi-O, would this make stuff like Survive and (All) Dragon hypothetically fall within upgrade form?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GuyUpNorth posted:

As long as it has consistency on what constitutes "upgrade" across the series it sounds great. Seeing as it's kinda changed across the timespan of Zi-O, would this make stuff like Survive and (All) Dragon hypothetically fall within upgrade form?

Survive is a Final Form, it's used by Decade Complete and the Ryuki Survive Ridewatch is dated "FIN." like other final forms. If we're going with four tiers, the basic Dragon Forms would be Upgrade while All Dragon (and Special Rush?) would be Super...I guess.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
W only had the normal forms, and Xtreme. I don't count FangJoker as an upgraded form because that's just the form where Phillip is the one being the Body.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Malachite_Dragon posted:

W only had the normal forms, and Xtreme. I don't count FangJoker as an upgraded form because that's just the form where Phillip is the one being the Body.

It is stronger than Cyclone/Heat/Luna and treated as an upgrade by the series itself though, even if it works in a rather unique way.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I don't like the idea of calling anything but the final form the Super form. I feel like it would just add confusion.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I've been thinking of it as "First Upgrade", "Mid-Series Upgrade" and "Final Form" myself, though the first isn't a very snappy name, and the second might also be confusing because until somewhat recently final forms were already obtained in the mid-series to begin with.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fred is on posted:

I've been thinking of it as "First Upgrade", "Mid-Series Upgrade" and "Final Form" myself, though the first isn't a very snappy name, and the second might also be confusing because until somewhat recently final forms were already obtained in the mid-series to begin with.

For me, it's pretty similar. There's the first upgrade, the mid-season upgrade, and then the Super Form for your Extremes, Genius, etc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This week's LuPat was very very good.

Although I feel it's pretty obvious that Satoru is a Gangler who was purposely sent to cast suspicion on Noel, would've worked much better I think if it hadn't been for the blatant "I thought you didn't like sweets" scene but I guess this is a show for kids after all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDnKuFtdc7A

gently caress it, it counts

Godzilla is here baby and he brought friends

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

drat, that is one goofy run on Godzilla. Still, I'm digging how it looks and so long as it focuses less on the boring military man element I'm on board.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ghidorah is everything I ever wanted

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CrashScreen posted:

drat, that is one goofy run on Godzilla. Still, I'm digging how it looks and so long as it focuses less on the boring military man element I'm on board.

It’s Hollywood, and they contractually required to have super awesome US military hardware on display in at least three major movies a year.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hey, look, if people are shooting insignificant missiles and threatening nukes on Godzilla then that's one thing; it's Hollywood's flavour. It was another to spend a fair chunk of the movie on uncharismatic sad soldier man too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Not only is he Boring Soldier Man, he spends the whole movie being the sole survivor of a bunch of fuckups and repeatedly stated to be the only one who can do the thing, and then fails to do the thing. And then we ALSO get to waste screentime on his wife, also doing nothing. And they had crazy Cranston and cool Serizawa guy RIGHT THERE if you MUST focus on humans but nah these nothing characters get the screen time sure.

No one watches Godzilla for the humans.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

OOO's is a better example. He had multiple super forms. And his final form isn't even the form used to finish doctor Maki.

I also never considered Den-O's final form the real final form. Even if Liner form looks awesome, it never felt like an upgrade compared to Climax form and they even straight up keep going to Climax if the situation allowed for it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Survive is a Final Form, it's used by Decade Complete and the Ryuki Survive Ridewatch is dated "FIN." like other final forms. If we're going with four tiers, the basic Dragon Forms would be Upgrade while All Dragon (and Special Rush?) would be Super...I guess.

Sounds logical.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad Kamen Rider finally has a good game with a good protagonist.

https://twitter.com/DonDollneko/status/1072076437979459585?s=19

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Zedd posted:

Base form
Upgrade form
Super form
Final form

Seems p consistent in the last years imo, the middle 2 just have arbitrary names and power scaling at times.
Magnet states would be a super form, gamer l99 is one as well. R/T sparkling is an upgrade form, hazard forms are super forms, etc.

There's exclusive Movie form too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm glad Kamen Rider finally has a good game with a good protagonist.

https://twitter.com/DonDollneko/status/1072076437979459585?s=19

It’s not too late, Nintendo.