Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RabidWeasel posted:

How the gently caress do you get a pimp, is that new?

Presumably a rare outcome of an event i've seen several times?

if a pimp's only whore comes up to your company complaining he's exploiting her labor, you can go "nah, it's actually a pretty good gig for you in medieval notGermany", "not my problem", or "actually, she's got a point :ussr:"

I assume him joining the company comes out of the third case because normally he sighs and says "welp, I tried to become an entrepreneur, but back to the proletariat I go"

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
If you have a bro with priest background he´ll convince the pimp to join.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Presumably a rare outcome of an event i've seen several times?

if a pimp's only whore comes up to your company complaining he's exploiting her labor, you can go "nah, it's actually a pretty good gig for you in medieval notGermany", "not my problem", or "actually, she's got a point :ussr:"

I assume him joining the company comes out of the third case because normally he sighs and says "welp, I tried to become an entrepreneur, but back to the proletariat I go"

Literally never seen that event once, weird.

E: Someone on Reddit got this loving guy :stonk:

That's 580 effective HP

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 9, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy gently caress, I only now realized webknechts can bring along a clutch of eggs that keep spawning new ones. Am I completely hosed facing 10 of them with lvl 3-4 bros in motley raider gear?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tias posted:

Holy gently caress, I only now realized webknechts can bring along a clutch of eggs that keep spawning new ones. Am I completely hosed facing 10 of them with lvl 3-4 bros in motley raider gear?

Nah you'll be fine. The eggs spawn one or two more of them per turn but they go down pretty easy, you'll probably be killing them faster than they come in. End result will either be a few extra kills for bonus XP, or a few extra turns of them running away at the end of the fight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tias posted:

The big thing about Webknechts is they only attack once a round and if you aren't webbed, their attack is pretty lovely. Also they're fragile.

They're dangerous, yes, and present a unique kind of challenge. They sort of 'telegraph' who they're going to gently caress with the webbing and all and you're left deciding when and how much to put towards freeing who. They're great.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I really like fighting the spiders. :spiderguy:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

RabidWeasel posted:

Literally never seen that event once, weird.

E: Someone on Reddit got this loving guy :stonk:

That's 580 effective HP

Look at all his Nimble bois

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
This is why even lategame you always give halfway decent backgrounds at least a tryout:

that resolve's uncomfortably low but he'll still be real handy

Tias
May 25, 2008

I took out the webknechts! It was a challenge, though. Nicely spread out their damage and targets, so you really have to concentrate your forces in groups that punch toward the egg sacks. Cool enemy, agreed.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

My lowbie mercenaries were camping overnight near the starter town and suddenly ambushed by two unholds which massacred half the group, like whats the point of this monster?

Do you just run when he shows up??

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I shoot unholds with arrows until they get to my line. By the time they arrive, they usually only take two or more hits to kill. (I run with 4 archers.) To me, they seem like the easiest new enemy. I've never had to fight more than three at a time though...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Unholds usually beat my bros up a lot, but never actually manage to finish anyone off.

Edit: Are there any significant enemies that use Underdog, so Backstabber would be worth picking up?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 10, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i assume you only want naked ingame pimps, assassins, et al
I'm open to anything.

quote:

also, do you need more data points for other backgrounds?
I don't think any of their stats changed (wages aside) so I don't think I need more. I wouldn't complain if you sent me more either, though, although depending on how many screenshots I get I might not use all of them immediately because manual data entry is not the most fun thing in the world.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It's just me, or have Bandit Leaders disappeared almost completely? I want better armour, damnit.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Just got the webknecht lair quest. Well, we beat a couple of clutches already, this is probably no big deal, eh chaps?

...gently caress.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Welcome to spider hell.

Also, I just got a comment on my Steam guide saying that one of the dev blogs mentioned some backgrounds had their stats changed.
So send me nudes of any bros you hire I guess.
:suicide:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

Welcome to spider hell.

Also, I just got a comment on my Steam guide saying that one of the dev blogs mentioned some backgrounds had their stats changed.
So send me nudes of any bros you hire I guess.
:suicide:

Yeah I've noticed a lot lower resolve on backgrounds like farmhands. Couldn't just be that you need higher resolve than before to deal with new enemies, I think they also overcorrected to make it so you start with less,

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

grill youre saelf posted:

I shoot unholds with arrows until they get to my line. By the time they arrive, they usually only take two or more hits to kill. (I run with 4 archers.) To me, they seem like the easiest new enemy. I've never had to fight more than three at a time though...
Have you tried fighting the snow-version of them? They're supposed to be way harder than their southern cousins.

Fat Samurai posted:

It's just me, or have Bandit Leaders disappeared almost completely? I want better armour, damnit.
I've seen a few Bandit Leaders around day 50 or so. Unfortunately they all came with crappy basic gear, though I'm not sure if that's because of the DLC or not.
As a side-note, why do they spawn with T2 spears?? They give them T3 everything else, and it's not like Fighting Spears are worth buying unless it's a crazy unique one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Exodee posted:

Have you tried fighting the snow-version of them? They're supposed to be way harder than their southern cousins.

Can confirm, the snow version is really tough. They actually come with a decent amount of armour so arrows don't do anything to them at first and cleavers aren't immediately inflicting bleeding. You're fighting them on snow which means when they mess up your line it takes more AP to get back into contact with them. They seem to take longer to kill. And basically every time they land a hit it deals a crush-type injury to everyone the hit lands on (even if you didn't take much HP damage--I think this may be an extra effect of their attack which is particularly brutal), which means over time crushed ribs are eating into your fatigue, crushed limbs are making you miss more attacks than before, and so on.

I find regular unholds pretty easy but I gave up on my last contract to hunt ones in the snow because they were wrecking my company.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fat Samurai posted:

It's not just you. More monsters means fewer bandits means fewer leaders. I think it's one of the main reasons the game is harder now than before.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

How are throwing weapons (specifically axes) looking after the DLC+patch? All the new beasties to kill got me in the mood to do a Slayer Throng type company with axes, bigger axes and axes that you throw (I might edit Tiny into all my bros for the True Dorf Experience™)

Can that viable or am I going to have a terrible time against Man with Crossbow? (if so, I'm open to using crossbows myself anyway)

Tias
May 25, 2008

So now I've met Alps and I'm hosed again.

They seem invincible, even though I can wake my bros up from their magic-induced sleep, not a single of my melee attacks hit them. What am I missing :confused:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tias posted:

So now I've met Alps and I'm hosed again.

They seem invincible, even though I can wake my bros up from their magic-induced sleep, not a single of my melee attacks hit them. What am I missing :confused:

Bad luck I guess. They're really scrawny and have terrible MD, so if you can get to them they should die in 1-2 hits.
Try to move your guys with a square between them so they can't sleep multiple of them at once.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m at about day 30 and I feel confident in taking on 2-skull contracts for the most part, especially as I know some of my company isn’t cut out for the long run and I’m wearing better than hoods and tunics for my front line. How do I start looking for more recruits that have a reasonable chance of having good stars? I suspect the answer is to keep gambling on 1-300 hires while building my gold reserves to ~5k, but I don’t know what backgrounds are liable to have good distributions.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I took on 9 alps around day 60. They were pretty easy. I sent my guys in groups of 4 with a space between each bro so only one would get slept at a time. The ranged bros were on wakeup duty. The melee bros dropped wardogs and did the heavy work. We definitely took some damage early, but only one bro got dangerously low.

edit: I'm using dogs a lot more now. They're good for alps and hexes. Sometimes good for wiedergangers and necromancers, depending on positioning and the stage of the fight.

Humbaba fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 10, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chakan posted:

I’m at about day 30 and I feel confident in taking on 2-skull contracts for the most part, especially as I know some of my company isn’t cut out for the long run and I’m wearing better than hoods and tunics for my front line. How do I start looking for more recruits that have a reasonable chance of having good stars? I suspect the answer is to keep gambling on 1-300 hires while building my gold reserves to ~5k, but I don’t know what backgrounds are liable to have good distributions.

Stars are completely random.

Backgrounds determine starting stats, wages, and equipment, but who gets what talents is completely random. That's how you can end up with a cripple who's a melee god if you happen to get three stars in attack, defence, and fatigue or HP, for example, but a sellsword who's nearly worthless if he has one star each in initiative, resolve, and ranged defence and rolls bad starting stats.

Because of this, as you suspected, the only way to find good starred recruits is to recruit a lot of people, which means hiring a lot of cheap people. Or do what a lot of us do and save, hire half a dozen people, reload, and hire the one or two who weren't total garbage.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
While camping inside a town to wait until morning, I got ambushed by seven alps at night in a forest. This game is very stupid and frustrating sometimes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Honestly camping inside a city should make you immune to ambushes unless the city is under siege/being raided.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Backgrounds determine starting stats, wages, and equipment, but who gets what talents is completely random. That's how you can end up with a cripple who's a melee god if you happen to get three stars in attack, defence, and fatigue or HP, for example, but a sellsword who's nearly worthless if he has one star each in initiative, resolve, and ranged defence and rolls bad starting stats.

Because of this, as you suspected, the only way to find good starred recruits is to recruit a lot of people, which means hiring a lot of cheap people. Or do what a lot of us do and save, hire half a dozen people, reload, and hire the one or two who weren't total garbage.

Thank you, that kinda sucks but I get it. This game makes me want to do an LP, are there any already started/done?

Also, I looked up Weidergangers after a few came back to see if the wiki would have the chance to come back, or any further details and one of the tips was to disarm them so when they rez they’ll be unarmed. Can you pick up weapons from a corpse, or does it mean “use a weapon skill to make them drop their weapons?”

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

vyelkin posted:

While camping inside a town to wait until morning, I got ambushed by seven alps at night in a forest. This game is very stupid and frustrating sometimes.

lmao that they added some event fights with near guaranteed losses at the same time they made retreating nearly useless in like 50% of all fights.

vyelkin posted:

I think that's kinda misleading to say when backgrounds all add or subtract points from specific stats (e.g. I think veteran soldiers get like +5 to melee skill and melee/ranged defense, -10 fatigue, - 10 health).
Stats are random but it's pretty easy to get 90 melee skill on a sellsword with no melee skill talent due to how high their melee skill can start.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 10, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I love this game, but man if some of the early-midgame RNG can't be absolute infuriating.

Just lost 2 of my best bros because an enemy rolled 90+ 5 times in a row, then hit 2 <10% hits in a row, both to the head.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They really didn't balance some of these new enemies, 7 alps in a forest with their unlimited range is basically a guaranteed party wipe because you just can't wake up all your bros each turn so as time goes on you have fewer and fewer awake until they're all asleep and you die.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
like literally turn 5 I have one bro awake

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Chakan posted:

Thank you, that kinda sucks but I get it. This game makes me want to do an LP, are there any already started/done?

Jade Star is doing ine, minus the DLC content, and there's a GBS one that's going to be restarted some point soonish, but don't let that stop you if you wanna LP it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

lmao that they added some event fights with near guaranteed losses at the same time they made retreating nearly useless in like 50% of all fights.

I think that's kinda misleading to say when backgrounds all add or subtract points from specific stats (e.g. I think veteran soldiers get like +5 to melee skill and melee/ranged defense, -10 fatigue, - 10 health).
Stats are random but it's pretty easy to get 90 melee skill on a sellsword with no melee skill talent due to how high their melee skill can start.

I said stars, not stats. Stars (i.e. talents) are completely random. Stats are randomized but determined by the bro's background. You're right that a bro with good starting stats can still end up good even with no good talents, but as I said in the rest of my post you can just as easily waste your money on a sellsword with talents that don't make up for bad starting stats.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also if there was a design document for alps I'm pretty sure it just says "you know how our game is fast-paced and fun? This enemy will be slow and boring to counteract that"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Honestly camping inside a city should make you immune to ambushes unless the city is under siege/being raided.
Yeaaa I don't think I should be ambushed by two unholds while camping in the starter city around the twelfth night

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Just retreat vs early unhold ambushes - they are too slow to catch you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS