Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Am I forgetting something, or did we already have the scene where Maaku unmasks himself to Shadow Shido and the dude recognizes him? I only ask because I saw the line about him acknowledging that he set him up, but he wouldn't say that unless he actually knew who Maaku was. But looking through the last couple of updates with Shadow Shido in them, I didn't see it. Maybe I'm blind and skipped right over it, I dunno.

Also :rip: Ryuji, you will ride shiny and chrome, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was in the boss fight update.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

It was in the boss fight update.

Thank you, I am a dumb. I had forgotten that there was dialogue in the middle of the phase switches of the Shido fight.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Ryuji is a good character, he's just a frustratingly colossal idiot

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

GeneX posted:

Ryuji is a good character, he's just a frustratingly colossal idiot

so... a high schooler

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The best member of the Phantom Thieves will always be Ryuji because even though he's kind of an idiot and routinely a fuckup, he's also willing to put everything on the line without a moment's hesitation:

I will miss him :(

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Japanese Diet website posted:

The Speaker's chair is in the center of the dais, and the seat next to it is reserved for the Secretary General. The seats in the front row on the elevated platform on either side of the Speaker's chair are for the Cabinet Ministers. The Prime Minister's seat is in the front row on the left-hand side near the Speaker.

I know he’s probably there for maximum visual effect, but there’s something really funny about cognitive Shido not even knowing enough about Parliament to know where he’s supposed to sit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When Shido rules Japan, he can sit wherever the gently caress he wants in the Diet.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Coq au Nandos posted:

I know he’s probably there for maximum visual effect, but there’s something really funny about cognitive Shido not even knowing enough about Parliament to know where he’s supposed to sit.

Or he thinks he's the only person who deserves to be up there, and is basically acting as Speaker, Prime Minister, Secretary General and Cabinet all at the same time. He is going to steer this country after all.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Ryuji, for good and ill, is intensely and consistently Ryuji throughout this game.

I wonder how many people were tasked with browsing through who knows how many files and such worth of cognitive science notes trying to find a way to deal with this and then figuring out how to only mostly kill the conspiracy leader.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
He'll be fine, he's got a legendary pirate backing him up.

...wait, pirates didn't generally learn how to swim, did they?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm glad Ryuji got to tell someone that Maaku was a Phantom Thief one last time before he died.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Zagglezig posted:

Ryuji, for good and ill, is intensely and consistently Ryuji throughout this game.

I wonder how many people were tasked with browsing through who knows how many files and such worth of cognitive science notes trying to find a way to deal with this and then figuring out how to only mostly kill the conspiracy leader.

I'd assume it's more just finding out that ceasing biological function destroys palaces/mental landscapes and then getting the correct heart attack causing drug ready.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'd assume it's more just finding out that ceasing biological function destroys palaces/mental landscapes and then getting the correct heart attack causing drug ready.

Surely a better solution would just be to dose Shido with hallucinogens. Good luck trying to steal the treasure when the password to get into the Chamber is the smell of yellow.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

Usually not, no.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Surely a better solution would just be to dose Shido with hallucinogens. Good luck trying to steal the treasure when the password to get into the Chamber is the smell of yellow.

That would be an interesting way to shoehorn in a boss rush

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glazius posted:

Uh no they normally did. What kind of idiot would choose a life at sea and not learn to swim.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uh no they normally did. What kind of idiot would choose a life at sea and not learn to swim.

Pretty much every sailor around then actually. Firstly: When exactly would they learn? You aren't swimming in a harbor, it's loving filthy water and you're likely to get run over by something. And the captain isn't going to stop the ship somewhere so you can go learn to swim.

Secondly: They usually didn't choose a life at sea. They got drunk in the wrong bar and woke up in the hold of a ship being told "You're a sailor now, so get swabbing because if you don't work you don't eat."

Thirdly: Lifeboats are a modern invention. If you fall overboard you gonna die. They're not coming back for you, those ships don't exactly turn on a dime. And even if they did turn around good luck finding the exact spot where your rear end is bobbing in the surf.

There's no point in dragging it out. if you're going to drown anyway then you might as well do it quickly.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 10, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also, superstitions suggest if you can swim you expect the ship to sink, because surely you shouldn't need to be able to swim unless the ship sunk.

Pirates might have learnt more often than non-pirates but yeah, Swimming was not a thing Sailors did back then.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Yeah. At best a dude or two on the crew might be able to swim, by chance.

Ya really only went swimming for fun if you lived near a lake or the coast and needed to cool off. There was work to be done, after all. Some cultures prized swimming as a skill but it's not exactly common among euros in that time period

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it sounds like being a pirate sucked a whole lot!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was at this very moment, Ryuji realized he forgot something very important

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ryuji's leg is also hosed so swimming is probably not that good an option for him.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Captain Kidd has a boat you guys. Hitting Rank 10 Ryuji literally killed him.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm surprised the writers managed to hold off on making this bit the Akechi "redemption" scene. Like have Akechi use the last of his strength to reach the lifeboat switch to save the Phantom Thieves. Then while he hangs on he thinks how he could have been a better person and goes down with the boat while sad music plays and everyone's all "Akechi...he was the coolest guy."

Funky Valentine posted:

Ryuji's leg is also hosed so swimming is probably not that good an option for him.

I guess it depends on how solid a Persona is? Like maybe Ryuji could have his Persona fling him, or summon it and lock it in place so he can have it hold him up, or maybe even fly with it since he's got Seiten Taisei and it has a magic cloud.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's possible the water isn't "really" water so much as a symbolic representation of failure, in which case if you fall in, you're sinking by dream logic regardless of how well you swim. Of course, in that case running really hard shouldn't necessarily matter either...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

It's possible the water isn't "really" water so much as a symbolic representation of failure, in which case if you fall in, you're sinking by dream logic regardless of how well you swim. Of course, in that case running really hard shouldn't necessarily matter either...

"Ryuji, just swim away!"

"I can't, it's a metaphor!"

"THEN SWIM METAPHORICALLY!"

e: alternatively, one of the thieves tells Ryuji the water's just a metaphor and he shouts back "meta for what"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

alternatively, one of the thieves tells Ryuji the water's just a metaphor and he shouts back "meta for what"

Sounds about right.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Req.Martyr posted:

Captain Kidd has a boat you guys. Hitting Rank 10 Ryuji literally killed him.

His heart isn't pure enough to ride on Nimbus either.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Oxxidation posted:

it sounds like being a pirate sucked a whole lot!

By most accounts I've read it sucked significantly less than being press ganged, but then you eventually ran foul of pirate hunters or just got a nasty disease like everyone else

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 175: 12/8: Dealing With Loss

Ryuji…

We gotta go back!

Music: Alleycat

He was our fastest runner too…!

It’s a legislator’s pin.

Uhhh…

The group runs up to Ryuji.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I mean, ain’t I alive?

We were worried about you!

Ann moves closer to Ryuji.

Makoto follows suit.

All the girls now slowly inch closer…

Ha! More violence towards the victim of abuse as comedy! It’s especially funny because it’s in a context where he doesn’t understand why he’s being punished! How fun!

Why don’t we stop by somewhere before going home?
Then, I want sauteed foie gras!
We’re in reality right now, you know.

The group walks away. The only one to look back at Ryuji is Morgana, who briefly pauses before joining the others.

Well, in honor of Ryuji’s heroic sacrifice, let us play a tribute to him. I feel this is the most appropriate choice.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Some people are not good friends.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Short update, sorry. This part is just so... great... it demanded to be experienced on its own.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

F

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Persona 5 is both a really bad and really good game

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this scene makes me mad

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Arist posted:

He was our fastest runner too…!

This line made me laugh for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That was a pointless fakeout death.