Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

You will be far better served assuming that streamers, and anyone who happily inserts themselves into ‘gamer culture’ is a virulent racist and/or generally awful, and working your way back to ‘maybe ok’ based on hard evidence only.

Pewdiepie has spent more time whining about being called out for promoting racism then he has talking about, and apologizing for his behavior, responsibly. A hit dog will holler, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Beer has betrayed Trump, Kavanagu was a secret democrat the whole time!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shammypants posted:

His decision has galvanized the right to foaming at the mouth over old issues and the Supreme Court. In other words it was strategically successful.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this was a deliberate strategy, since they know the second they actually ban abortion the red meat is gone (and they'll have to contend with the backlash)

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey right twitter maybe don't panic because your shiny new justice refused to grant cert on something you wanted reviewed one goddamn time. Jesus.

Being perpetually agreevied about not getting absolutely everything they want is their whole deal.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

I honestly don't believe he's a racist. I mean, I've watched a lot of his videos over the years and never got the impression that he wants to promote any racist or prejudiced ideas on his professional youtube channel. If he has personal biases, which a lot of people do, I get the impression that he is ashamed of them and would like to present an image of himself to the world that is his best self. I don't know him outside of the videos I've seen, but I really don't get the impression that he would be happier living in a racially segregated society or a sexist society or anything like that. I don't think a person like that is incapable of growth or change, nor do I think they are naturally resistant to such growth or change. I just don't get calling him a nazi. That's all I'm saying.

To answer your second question, I think racism can be overt and purposeful, and I also believe it can be implicit and hidden and subconscious. I believe many people have racial biases that they don't admit to themselves or that they don't recognize because they've never had it demonstrated to them. All of it is bad, and acts to subvert what I think should be humanity's goal in reaching an egalitarian and equitable global society. I think of racism as one of the most persistent forms of tribalism that humans have evolved with over tens of thousands of years, and that racism is particularly bad because it serves no beneficial or practical purpose in modern times (if it ever served a purpose, I can't think of what that purpose might be). Even worse, racism serves to undermine human progress, health, and safety by causing people to fight and kill each other when they have no other reason to do so.

Of all the hills you could die on in D&D why PewdiePie...

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Crow Jane posted:

Frankly I'm more surprised that a presumably adult person with access to a credit card is so deep in the tank for Pewdiepie

I'm honestly in awe right now, I think I skew on the younger side around here and Pewdiepie has ALWAYS been the hyper embarrassing and cringy brofist guy that everyone liked to poo poo on people for liking, but all of the sudden he is some weird redpilled superhero to be defended? To me he's always going to be the annoying flash game player that said rape a bunch and encouraged children to press their fist against their monitor to say goodbye to him.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Actual quote from Theresa May: "I'm not capable of a parliamentary ejaculation." :barf:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Guze posted:

Trump has publicly been a snake oil salesman grifter for at least 30 years and these Wall Street idiots are just now thinking he might not know poo poo about trade negotiations.

Trump has been doing everything that Americans on Wall Street have said would lead to a perfect world. He has cut tax rates for corporations and high wealth individuals. He has gotten “tough” with foreign trade competition. He has tried his damned best to roll back as many regulations as he can find.

Admitting that this is all leading to disaster means that all the Koches, the Adelsons and the Jim Cramers of this country will finally have to admit that they’re wrong and they really don’t want to do that.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I like free speech and all, but I sort of agree with Germany on this sort of poo poo. It should be hard to nix a topic from the free speech area, but some things really don't need people talking about them in a positive light.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

haveblue posted:

That's why he was melting down a few days ago, the reason he came up ITT just now was that he linked to a crypto-fascist video.

He didn't just link to a video. He made a video that was thanking people for their support and he wanted to "humbly" list some lesser known YouTubers that he watches and likes and thinks deserve more attention. A couple of those channels are.. questionable at best and at least one seems to be outright Nazi. There was no ironic or joking context, he said "I like this stuff".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brony Car posted:

Trump has been doing everything that Americans on Wall Street have said would lead to a perfect world. He has cut tax rates for corporations and high wealth individuals. He has gotten “tough” with foreign trade competition. He has tried his damned best to roll back as many regulations as he can find.

Admitting that this is all leading to disaster means that all the Koches, the Adelsons and the Jim Cramers of this country will finally have to admit that they’re wrong and they really don’t want to do that.

wall street absolutely did not want the bolded thing and the business wing has been trying to end his trade wars and tarriffing since it started

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I honestly don't believe he's a racist. I mean, I've watched a lot of his videos over the years and never got the impression that he wants to promote any racist or prejudiced ideas on his professional youtube channel. If he has personal biases, which a lot of people do, I get the impression that he is ashamed of them and would like to present an image of himself to the world that is his best self. I don't know him outside of the videos I've seen, but I really don't get the impression that he would be happier living in a racially segregated society or a sexist society or anything like that. I don't think a person like that is incapable of growth or change, nor do I think they are naturally resistant to such growth or change. I just don't get calling him a nazi. That's all I'm saying.

He already got in lots of trouble multiple times for doing racist things, and the only reason we're talking about him right now is because he did another racist thing by promoting an overtly antisemitic youtube channel. If he's presenting his best self on his youtube channel, it's still very racist.

Your bit about the segregated society is a strawman, btw. Plenty of racists don't want fullblown segregation.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

What does this person mean by neocon? Because I know it must be different from what I think but I can't imagine how.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crabtree posted:

Beer has betrayed Trump, Kavanagu was a secret democrat the whole time!

But Trump doesn't give a gently caress about Planned Parenthood.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Tibalt posted:

Are we seriously doing this? I don't mean the rest of the thread, I mean the guy standing up for Pew. This is, what, the third major Nazi/racism incident from him since the major Nazi/racist incident that lost him his Disney sponsorship?

At least Mel Gibson actually puts out a decent movie and an apology before we give him his Nth chance.

Yeah, Pew has been poo poo for years. I remember randomly clicking on one of his videos when I heard about him and it was all dumb, real unfunny rape jokes and him screeching RAAAAPE RAAAAAPE RAAAAPE.

gently caress that guy.

skylined! posted:

You will be far better served assuming that streamers, and anyone who happily inserts themselves into ‘gamer culture’ is a virulent racist and/or generally awful, and working your way back to ‘maybe ok’ based on hard evidence only.

Pewdiepie has spent more time whining about being called out for promoting racism then he has talking about, and apologizing for his behavior, responsibly. A hit dog will holler, etc.

Yeah, this.

People who play video games: generally okay and cool.

People who identify themselves as a ~GAMER~: guillotine.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Could you please not call a racist a nazi, its very mean and he's trying to be best. Now please like, subscribe and click on my latest video where I scream rape to kids and try and get them to say the holocaust isn't real - for the lulz!

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Shifty Pony posted:

But Trump doesn't give a gently caress about Planned Parenthood.

The Trump the chuds created in their mind does

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Squalid posted:

What does this person mean by neocon? Because I know it must be different from what I think but I can't imagine how.

They separated the word 'Neo' and 'Con' so we can infer that he was supposedly their 'One' savior type figure a-la the Matrix, where 'Neo' refers directly to the character name, and 'Con' refers to 'conscript' as in he was pressed into service by the heritage foundation.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The video game streamer who suggests you follow a guy who makes jokes about and endorses the fascist conspiracy theory that Heather Heyer died of a heart attack and not nazi murder is definitely not a racist, nope

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Squalid posted:

In my experience it refers to GWB-era Republicans, who I presume are the "swamp" to today's conservatives

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DandyLion posted:

They separated the word 'Neo' and 'Con' so we can infer that he was supposedly their 'One' savior type figure a-la the Matrix, where 'Neo' refers directly to the character name, and 'Con' refers to 'conscript' as in he was pressed into service by the heritage foundation.

Sir this is a McDonald’s.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

teen witch posted:

Sir this is a McDonald’s.

People are still doing this bit?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

wall street absolutely did not want the bolded thing and the business wing has been trying to end his trade wars and tarriffing since it started

Certain parts of Wall Street were psyched. People like Jim Cramer were cheering him on until reality struck. Jamie Dimon was also saying Trump was airing legitimate grievances with the Chinese.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/jamie-dimon-backs-trumps-legitimate-complaints-over-trade.html

I think a lot of Wall Street thought China didn’t have a backbone and saw it as an easy win.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Squalid posted:

They mean "No True Conservative"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Likely the friends and family he keeps are very similar to Pew, and he doesn't want them labeled that way because of the harsh reality of it.

It's definitely this. Also he enjoyed the guys videos so I'm guessing he's trying to avoid the "if I like this racist, am I a racist for supporting him financially?" Question

Saying "I don't think he is racist" and "he is ashamed of his racism" in the same breath is some kind of Olympic level mental gymnastics.

He is not "deeply ashamed" he is afraid of losing sponsorships and money. He is a rich, privileged white guy and desperately wants to hold onto that power. And racism is about power and privileges and keeping them at all costs.

TWOTDI, I suggest you do some introspection. You say you've watched his videos and don't get a racist impression but were you really watching them with a critical lense? And arguably does one really need a critical lense when the guy paid poor poc to hold up signs promoting genocide? Do you really not question the character of a person who would do that? And remember this video was workshopped from a concept, produced, shot and edited before it was uploaded. There were plenty of chances for him to reflect and decide that at the very least it's in bad taste.

I suggest you examine your biases and listen to the people itt who are telling you how hosed up the guy really is.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

we mean like the people like Richard Spencer, who say we need to commit a genocide on black people, in America, who constantly develop new names for themselves because "nazi" is a bad brand. while simultanously marching and screaming JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US. you see i'm not actually a NAZI, because i'm not a german in the 1930s!

since I started paying attention, I recall it going from neo-nazi, to dark enlightenment, to alt-right, to identitarian, and the current hotness is "classical liberal."

I agree with this, I would use the term "nazi" for all the groups you mentioned. I didn't explain it as eloquently as you did, but yeah I think those groups qualify as "actual nazis"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

VitalSigns posted:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this was a deliberate strategy, since they know the second they actually ban abortion the red meat is gone (and they'll have to contend with the backlash)

They have pretty much won completely when it comes to guns and they still scare half of the country into voting for them because someone might think about gun control some day in the far future

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Squalid posted:

(Presumably) A RINO like GWB, not a real conservative like, well..., OK, no one has actually lived up to Treshiq's ideals, but he'll keep voting R and loving that chicken.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

I agree with this, I would use the term "nazi" for all the groups you mentioned. I didn't explain it as eloquently as you did, but yeah I think those groups qualify as "actual nazis"

You're an idiot and an Nazi sympathizer, op.

Hope this helps.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm lovin it

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah we should alternate back to "nice meltdown" that was way funnier.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
It's good that Brett Kavanaugh decided the way he did on this one issue and also gently caress that guy forever and ever.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

And if they aren't goosestepping everywhere they're not really racists, right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brony Car posted:

Certain parts of Wall Street were psyched. People like Jim Cramer were cheering him on until reality struck. Jamie Dimon was also saying Trump was airing legitimate grievances with the Chinese.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/05/jamie-dimon-backs-trumps-legitimate-complaints-over-trade.html

I think a lot of Wall Street thought China didn’t have a backbone and saw it as an easy win.

there has been a lot of angst about china in particular, and confronting china was not the dumbest idea in the world because china has been sort of not "playing by the rules" for a while - mostly, forcing western companies to give up their IP and not really honoring deals about how much they'd open up their own markets. there is also the big problem of china penalizing companies that don't toe its line on things like taiwan, etc abroad. so there was legitimate support for trying to pressure china on those issues.

pissing off everyone else in the world first through things like metal tariffs then going after china in the stupidest way possible was not on anyone's agenda of how to deal with china. trump also doesn't have the faintest idea what the actual problems in the us/china trade relationship are and is busy trying to fix something that's not the actual problem. every other aspect of his trade policy horrified everyone. the china part was ok in theory but, uh, lol at him executing on it

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah we should alternate back to "nice meltdown" that was way funnier.

source your quotes

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Wylie posted:

When did "dropping the hard R" become a synonym for "the N word"? Is it actually that, or have I parsed something wrong?

It really is hard to keep up with all these dog whistles/actual whistles these days.

No the hard r is actually a synonym for the c word (cracker). Very hurtful & offensive, should be banned!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ladies and germs, what a princeton education gets you:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I just don't understand how this guy is getting lumped in with nazis by this thread full of people I usually agree with.

I mean, I guess if making a comment disagreeing with another comment is "carrying a tiki torch", well poo poo, time to abandon thread

Hi, PewDiePie signal boosts Nazi YouTube channels, he paid poor people to hold signs that said to kill Jewish people, and his followers include prominent far right figures. He is a Nazi. Peace nerd.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

PewDiePie is both a Nazi and a professional Let's Player.

How the gently caress is anyone rallying to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

there's one less bush to look behind now

I both love you and hate you for this joke PPJ. Bravo.