Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Honestly if Trump enters a "the economy needs a giant bailout" situation I have no idea what he and his team will go for at this point.

He'd mint the coin with his face then try to run off with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Supposedly oral arguments in the double jeopardy case lasted for 80 minutes today but according to observers, went well for the government

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
:siren: Opinion! :siren:

UNITED STATES v. STITT
Holding / Majority Opinion:
The Armed Career Criminal Act requires a federal sentencing judge to impose upon certain persons convicted of unlawfully possessing a firearm a 15-year minimum prison term. The judge is to impose that special sentence if the offender also has three prior convictions for certain violent or drug-related crimes. 18 U. S. C. §924(e). Those prior convictions include convictions for “burglary.” §924(e)(2)(B)(ii). And the question here is whether the statutory term “burglary” includes burglary of a structure or vehicle that has been adapted or is customarily used for overnight accommodation. We hold that it does.

The relevant prior convictions of one of the unlawful firearms offenders, Victor J. Stitt, were for violations of a Tennessee statute that defines “[a]ggravated burglary” as “burglary of a habitation.” Tenn. Code Ann. §39–14– 403(a) (1997). It further defines “[h]abitation” to include: (1) “any structure, including . . . mobile homes, trailers, and tents, which is designed or adapted for the overnight accommodation of persons,” and (2) any “self-propelled vehicle that is designed or adapted for the overnight accommodation of persons and is actually occupied at the time of initial entry by the defendant.” §§39–14– 401(1)(A), (B) (emphasis added).

The relevant prior convictions of the other unlawful firearms offender, Jason Daniel Sims, were for violations of an Arkansas statute that prohibits burglary of a “residential occupiable structure.” Ark. Code Ann. §5–39– 201(a)(1) (Michie 1997). The statute defines “[r]esidential occupiable structure” to include: “a vehicle, building, or other structure: “(A) [w]here any person lives; or “(B) [w]hich is customarily used for overnight accommodation of persons whether or not a person is actually present.” §5–39–101(1) (emphasis added).

The Government asked us to grant certiorari to consider the question “[w]hether burglary of a nonpermanent or mobile structure that is adapted or used for overnight accommodation can qualify as ‘burglary’ under the Armed Career Criminal Act.” Pet. for Cert. in No. 17–765, p. i; Pet. for Cert. in No. 17–766, p. i. And, in light of uncertainty about the scope of the term “burglary” in the lower courts, we granted the Government’s request.

In Taylor, we did more than hold that the word “burglary” refers to a kind of generic crime rather than to the defendant’s behavior on a particular occasion. We also explained, after examining the Act’s history and purpose, that Congress intended a “uniform definition of burglary [to] be applied to all cases in which the Government seeks” an enhanced sentence under the Act. Id., at 580–592. We held that this uniform definition includes “at least the ‘classic’ common-law definition,” namely, breaking and entering a dwelling at night with intent to commit a felony. Id., at 593. But we added that it must include more. The classic definition, by excluding all places other than dwellings, we said, has “little relevance to modern law enforcement concerns.” Ibid. Perhaps for that reason, by the time the Act was passed in 1986, most States had expanded the meaning of burglary to include “structures other than dwellings.” Ibid. (citing W. LaFave & A. Scott, Substantive Criminal Law §§8.13(a)–(f) (1986)).

We concluded that the Act’s term “burglary” must include “ordinary,” “run-of-the-mill” burglaries as well as aggravated ones. Taylor, 495 U. S., at 597. And we defined the elements of generic “burglary” as “an unlawful or unprivileged entry into, or remaining in, a building or other structure, with intent to commit a crime.” Id., at 598.

The relevant language of the Tennessee and Arkansas statutes falls within the scope of generic burglary’s definition as set forth in Taylor. For one thing, we made clear in Taylor that Congress intended the definition of “burglary” to reflect “the generic sense in which the term [was] used in the criminal codes of most States” at the time the Act was passed. Ibid. In 1986, a majority of state burglary statutes covered vehicles adapted or customarily used for lodging—either explicitly or by defining “building” or “structure” to include those vehicles.

For another thing, Congress, as we said in Taylor, viewed burglary as an inherently dangerous crime because burglary “creates the possibility of a violent confrontation between the offender and an occupant, caretaker, or some other person who comes to investigate.” 495 U. S., at 588; see also James v. United States, 550 U. S. 192, 203 (2007). An offender who breaks into a mobile home, an RV, a camping tent, a vehicle, or another structure that is adapted for or customarily used for lodging runs a similar or greater risk of violent confrontation.

We reverse the judgment of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. We vacate the judgment of the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion [because there’s a remaining state law issue].

Lineup: Breyer, unanimous.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/17-765_2co3.pdf

[internal citations inconsistently omitted throughout]

Bonus Popehat explainer:
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1072152569051406336

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My master plan is that all fines levied against banks are done in lone forgiveness, in reverse order of value, so that as many people as possible see exactly what happens when we would hold a bank accountable.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

HootTheOwl posted:

My master plan is that all fines levied against banks are done in lone forgiveness, in reverse order of value, so that as many people as possible see exactly what happens when we would hold a bank accountable.
Lone forgiveness?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Supreme Court turns away Planned Parenthood defunding cases

quote:

Chief Justice John Roberts and the newest justice, Brett Kavanaugh, joined the court's four liberal jurists in turning away a pair of petitions from Kansas and Louisiana seeking the ban on abortion providers.

Still would rather not have him on the court, but better than I expected.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HootTheOwl posted:

Stipulate that it be specifically consumer loan forgiveness too.

I don't want a penny going to even the tiniest piece of business debt.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
can we just be reasonable and agree to zimbabwe inflation so I can pay my law school loans off with a loaf of bread??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Supreme Court turns away Planned Parenthood defunding cases

Still would rather not have him on the court, but better than I expected.

But theres a circuit split?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FAUXTON posted:

Stipulate that it be specifically consumer loan forgiveness too.

I don't want a penny going to even the tiniest piece of business debt.

If you owe more to a bank than a business I am forced to ask a lot of questions.

Edit:

ilkhan posted:

Lone forgiveness?

Just me. Only I get it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HootTheOwl posted:

If you owe more to a bank than a business I am forced to ask a lot of questions.

People who got debanked via chexsystems over less than $1k in charge-offs caused by cascading overdrafts/other fees probably don't have much in the way of revolving tradelines.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Veterinary medicine is in a bit of a problem right now where average school debt of newly graduated veterinarians is ~$170k with salaries usually in the $70k-$80k range. That's just for dog/cat practice, equine practice and food animal either make bank (rare) but are attached to huge/expensive operations or they make $50k a year (the vast, vast majority).

The number of veterinary students graduating with $200k+ in debt is over 20% at this point.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
education is a gently caress

$410,757,864,530 in student debt

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It's almost like we've been throwing nearly unlimited student loans at kids and schools have responded by charging more...

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 31, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FAUXTON posted:

People who got debanked via chexsystems over less than $1k in charge-offs caused by cascading overdrafts/other fees probably don't have much in the way of revolving tradelines.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Veterinary medicine is in a bit of a problem right now where average school debt of newly graduated veterinarians is ~$170k with salaries usually in the $70k-$80k range. That's just for dog/cat practice, equine practice and food animal either make bank (rare) but are attached to huge/expensive operations or they make $50k a year (the vast, vast majority).

The number of veterinary students graduating with $200k+ in debt is over 20% at this point.
Good point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

And you can't discharge it via bankruptcy. :pseudo:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

And you can't discharge it via bankruptcy. :pseudo:

There's a great essay in the LRB from last month about how student loans are a form of social control over younger generations, based on either reinstating family control (because your family is paying for your exorbitant education) or enforcing a neoliberal income-first agenda onto students (because they need some way to pay off the massive debt they accumulated), originating as a backlash against the student radicalism of the 60s and 70s but continuing because it fit neoliberal ideology so well.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n21/william-davies/against-responsibility

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

vyelkin posted:

There's a great essay in the LRB from last month about how student loans are a form of social control over younger generations, based on either reinstating family control (because your family is paying for your exorbitant education) or enforcing a neoliberal income-first agenda onto students (because they need some way to pay off the massive debt they accumulated), originating as a backlash against the student radicalism of the 60s and 70s but continuing because it fit neoliberal ideology so well.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n21/william-davies/against-responsibility
Except the side effect of that is it’s going to become a bigger and bigger drag on our consumer economy as it continues

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ilkhan posted:

It's almost like we've been throwing nearly unlimited student loans at kids and a hooks have responded by charging more...

And it's also been serving as a way to paper over cuts to education spending!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So how is John Roberts going to punch another giant hole in the ACA this time?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

So how is John Roberts going to punch another giant hole in the ACA this time?

probably by just affirming the chudge

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I mean that is very possible but I think he does something like last where he appears to be upholding the law while punching another giant hole in it making it less effective.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I mean that is very possible but I think he does something like last where he appears to be upholding the law while punching another giant hole in it making it less effective.
I’m not sure why he would take this current case when they already argued about a lot of it years ago and he affirmed the ACA.

The tax bill already effectively removed the individual mandate, so the whole thing is stupid

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

As I recall they said it was constitutional because it was a tax. The tax part was removed, therefore the constitutionality of forcing people to buy a commercial product is.... TBD.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ilkhan posted:

As I recall they said it was constitutional because it was a tax. The tax part was removed, therefore the constitutionality of forcing people to buy a commercial product is.... TBD.

But if there’s no penalty for not buying it (because the tax was removed) then you aren’t actually forced to buy it, therefore it’s constitutional after all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kalman posted:

But if there’s no penalty for not buying it (because the tax was removed) then you aren’t actually forced to buy it, therefore it’s constitutional after all.
Law still says it's required.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ilkhan posted:

It wasn’t removed. The provision is still there, they just made the penalty zero

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Law still says it's required.

Under that logic, the law also still says you pay a tax if you don’t do it. That tax happens to be set to zero, but there’s still a tax.

You can be a formalist, in which case you lose that way, or a realist, in which case you lose because there’s no compelled act anymore.

(There’s also the issue that no one has standing to challenge a provision that, by design, cannot be violated or enforced in any way.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Should be noted that a Democratic Senate confirmed this piece of poo poo appointed by Bush with a voice vote. Democrats appeared to have learned nothing since then.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

mcmagic posted:

Should be noted that a Democratic Senate confirmed this piece of poo poo appointed by Bush with a voice vote. Democrats appeared to have learned nothing since then.

Time works strange your your dimension. Roberts was confirmed in 2005.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

karthun posted:

Time works strange your your dimension. Roberts was confirmed in 2005.

He means Judge Reed O'Connor, who was confirmed in 2007

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Yeah we should politicize district judge appointments more. That wouldn't cripple the entire system or anything like that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah we should politicize district judge appointments more. That wouldn't cripple the entire system or anything like that.

The GOP outright stole a SCOTUS seat (and kept the bench right wing instead of having a desperately needed shift to the left) in 2016. But yeah lets keep the :decorum: bullshit going so that the GOP can continue to poison the judiciary beyond the insane number of far right assholes filling the vacancies the GOP intentionally kept open because gently caress Obama.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

Not sinking to the Republicans' level, with unprecedented obstruction in Democratic terms then seats being filled unprecedentedly rapidly under Republican ones, means that over the course of time they take over the entire judicial branch with people who have gone through Heritage Foundation and Federalist-sponsored training programs. That's much worse than a crippled judicial system.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I mean, if someone like that was appointed, wouldn't that mean the system was already politicised?

In any event, the apolitical nature of judicial appointments is purely a pretence. Any position nominated and appointed directly and exclusively by elected representatives is by definition political.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOP outright stole a SCOTUS seat (and kept the bench right wing instead of having a desperately needed shift to the left) in 2016. But yeah lets keep the :decorum: bullshit going so that the GOP can continue to poison the judiciary beyond the insane number of far right assholes filling the vacancies the GOP intentionally kept open because gently caress Obama.

It's not decorum bullshit. The district courts historically haven't been and shouldn't be political. If we get to a point where district judges can't get approved the federal courts will stop functioning (and frankly they barely work as is).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ogmius815 posted:

It's not decorum bullshit. The district courts historically haven't been and shouldn't be political. If we get to a point where district judges can't get approved the federal courts will stop functioning (and frankly they barely work as is).

It's too late for your decorum bullshit

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

If someone nominates an openly political judge (O'Connor had a lot of ties to leading GOP members), then blocking the appointment is in fact preventing the court from becoming politicized.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 20, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ogmius815 posted:

Pretty sure that ship sailed a long time ago my dude, the idea that the law and legal system aren’t political is laughable on its face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
But we shouldn't accept that. We should be trying to drag the country back to a place where judges were expected to be neutral referees of established law instead of political operators.

If judges aren't judicial officers but instead simply a less accountable way to exercise political power in pursuit of the result that best aligns with a Democrat or Republican ideology, there is no reason for people to respect the courts but the threat of force.