Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You should need a special license class to drive anything with a higher front end than a sedan, given the added risk it adds to pedestrian safety. It wouldn't need to be anything crazy, but enough to deter people who don't really need a giant pedestrian-killer from getting one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

You should need a special license class to drive anything with a higher front end than a sedan, given the added risk it adds to pedestrian safety. It wouldn't need to be anything crazy, but enough to deter people who don't really need a giant pedestrian-killer from getting one.

It should be like cops and tazers, where you're required to get crashed into by an SUV before you can drive one.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It should be like cops and tazers, where you're required to get crashed into by an SUV before you can drive one.

Agreed

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

pointsofdata posted:

Because taller cars tend to be longer and wider, and have additional blindspots, I feel like it is worse than zero sum but haven't checked the maths.

E: I think that's correct. Imagine a highway full of Golfs compared to F-150s. You can see more in the former due to the smaller field of view obscured by the golf's, even when you are in the same car.

A vast gulf of Golf, if you will.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Unfortunately, everyone is prone to selfish behaviour and without any regulations discouraging taller, larger vehicles, well, we find ourselves in our current predicament.

Gas taxes for non-commercial vehicles would work a treat. A co-worker of mine already just traded in his Silverado for a Golf recently because he was sick of paying for so much gas, and that was with gas prices the way they are currently. Imagine if they were .50/L more expensive!

Just eliminating the CAFE exemptions would probably do wonders.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MikeyTsi posted:

Just eliminating the CAFE exemptions would probably do wonders.

That brings us back to the testing problem though. We've got loads of vehicles that are pigs IRL but make phenomenal fuel economy on an EPA dyno test, a fuel tax puts the stress back on real world performance.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

First non-render of the new Supra has leaked...

It's like they made the FT-1 less stupid looking and I quite like it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NumbersMatching320 posted:

That brings us back to the testing problem though. We've got loads of vehicles that are pigs IRL but make phenomenal fuel economy on an EPA dyno test, a fuel tax puts the stress back on real world performance.

Fuel taxes put the stress on people that are least able to deal with it. That's literally what people in France are rioting about.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's actually pretty, really liking the design. If they went full FT1 it would look ridiculous but the toned down version is definitely my jam.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I feel like you can see how it morphs into a BMW as soon as the plastic/metal cutline hits

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That weird snout on the front kills it for me. Maybe it looks better in person

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This looks good.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I feel like you can see how it morphs into a BMW as soon as the plastic/metal cutline hits

Are you talking about the cooling system? :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

incels interlinked posted:

That weird snout on the front kills it for me. Maybe it looks better in person

Not a fan either.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hmmm yes a BMW with Toyota styling and badges, a truly desirable vehicle

Also lol at supporting inherently regressive consumption taxes

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I fixed it

Smooth out the nose and put a power bulge on the hood

Toyota PM me for payment info

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Fuel taxes put the stress on people that are least able to deal with it. That's literally what people in France are rioting about.

Yeah we should tax the corporations which sell fuel or emit carbon in other ways instead

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah we should tax the corporations which sell fuel or emit carbon in other ways instead

But if we tax them instead of subsidizing them, how will their shareholders get a dividend?

ExxonMobil only made $19.71b profit last year. One cent less and they might as well close up shop because what's even the point of existing?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

This was a joke BTW. It's exactly the same as a carbon tax. The argument that it's too regressive to do is insane, if that's your concern then give the revenues to everyone below some percentile in the income distribution and, wow, it's suddenly progressive. The consumer cost argument is a trick being played on the left by big oil.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Powershift posted:

ExxonMobil only made $19.71b profit last year. One cent less and they might as well close up shop because what's even the point of existing?

... on $240b in revenue. Apple had about the same revenue, but 3x the profit. Exxon's financial performance has been lackluster for years.

Wheeee posted:

Also lol at supporting inherently regressive consumption taxes

If the point of the tax/regulation is to reduce consumption of a particular good, then you're going to have to put on your big boy pants and accept that it will impact everybody and not just people you dislike.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Private jet fuel was excluded from the tax.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Powershift posted:

But if we tax them instead of subsidizing them, how will their shareholders get a dividend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTic9btP38

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SlapActionJackson posted:

If the point of the tax/regulation is to reduce consumption of a particular good, then you're going to have to put on your big boy pants and accept that it will impact everybody and not just people you dislike.

:wow:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Louisiana...bad???

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

loving christ

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

loving christ

Worst roads in all of the USA by fuckin miles

You wouldn't believe me if I described it, we need like a Nola goon to take some pics or summat

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Wonder who causes more ecological damage in a year, ExxonMobil or Apple. Like, legit curious.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

... on $240b in revenue. Apple had about the same revenue, but 3x the profit. Exxon's financial performance has been lackluster for years.

poor babees

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Those poor shareholders!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bust those fuckers open like the overstuffed pinatas they are

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Monkey Fracas posted:

bust those fuckers open like the overstuffed pinatas they are

You mean the legislators? Hell yeah!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

PT6A posted:

To be able to see things in front of those vehicles, like upcoming hazards or oncoming traffic when making a turn. It's obviously a zero-sum game, but I won't pretend it's not useful from time to time. I mean, when it comes to backing out of a parking spot between two large trucks, I have less use for a backup camera than I would for a loving periscope.

Imo it would help a lot of windows didn't get ever smaller and more tinted. I hate it if I drive behind a series of cars with slim and/or tinted windows because I don't have any idea what going on ahead in traffic. That hasn't been a problem 10 years ago when you could clearly see the brake lights of other drivers through the cars in front of you.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

Imo it would help a lot of windows didn't get ever smaller and more tinted. I hate it if I drive behind a series of cars with slim and/or tinted windows because I don't have any idea what going on ahead in traffic. That hasn't been a problem 10 years ago when you could clearly see the brake lights of other drivers through the cars in front of you.

you can't pretend to be single if people can see your kids in the back though

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm probably late to the party on this, but Lincoln is cockteasing us again and wants to make a continental with suicide doors.

Last I heard Lincoln was killing off the Continental, so if this is a Chinese-market-only car I'm going to be upset.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm going to be upset.

With that B pillar ruining the effect and otherwise boring looks, I don’t think this is going to be too special.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The only place I see Continentals now is in rental fleets.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I got a continental as a loaner while my other Lincoln was in the shop and it was nice. I’d get one if I wanted a big comfortable sedan

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Dadliest Worrier posted:

With that B pillar ruining the effect and otherwise boring looks, I don’t think this is going to be too special.

Must be some roll over crash protection maxim requirement, because that’s terrible.

Suicide doors are for convertibles anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I saw an actual Continental recently (restored from 1964) and drat do they look good